• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rock taking over rap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Topaz Archer

TheWorldIsQuietHere
No, jazz had it's shot. Peruvian pan-flute music will be the next big thing, then klezmer.
No maaan.
Polka all the way. And after that, Celtic.
Duh.

Anywayz. Rock's definition has changed too much; it's waaay too broad. The Jonas Brother's Myspace considers them Rock, which is completely stupid. Pop at best, ammirite?

But, I do believe it would be nice for Rock to overcome Rap. To be honest, I always hated rap. All of my life.

Rave

Banned
Rap was always good, and still is. Though it was better back then though. But with Tupac gone (R.I.P.) , and Eminem being with his family, the only rapper I find decent right now is lil wayne.

Rap was good up until the point Will Smith stopped participating in it, and left us with his rapping legacy, "We are the Men in Black."

Cyan

Mortal
Anywayz. Rock's definition has changed too much; it's waaay too broad. The Jonas Brother's Myspace considers them Rock, which is completely stupid. Pop at best, ammirite?

No. Michael Jackson is pop. Billy Joel is pop. Hell, you could consider Elton Jonh pop. The Jonas Brothers occupy a genre of music I like to call 'Crap'.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
No, jazz had it's shot. Peruvian pan-flute music will be the next big thing, then klezmer.

Then Zeuhl, I pray. Everyone, get ready for the big Zeuhl revolution!

P.S. rock fusing with rap is nothing new. Haven't you ever heard of Red Hot Chili Peppers? How about Rage Against the Machine? Rush even did it once! (By the way, that rap constitutes the best rap ever. "GONNA KICK SOME GLUTEUS MAX'!" was kcufing epic.)

Last edited:

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
No. Michael Jackson is pop. Billy Joel is pop. Hell, you could consider Elton Jonh pop. The Jonas Brothers occupy a genre of music I like to call 'Crap'.

Opinions aside, aren't they considered as pop-rock, while they may have tarnished rock's name, as long as theres a market for them they will be here to stay

HK

Radiance of Shadows
Rap on the other hand was horrible to begin with.

Do you take pride in being narrow-minded?

I really don't think either are at the top of their game right now, since both were much better overall a little while back.

Uh, no. Some of the best rock and rap albums have been made within this decade.

If all you judge of the genres are what's on MTV and the radio, then that's all you deserve. There's plenty of great rock and rap artists that aren't getting anywhere near the attention they deserve.

And jazz will probably be the next big thing among the youth of today.

Naw, it'll be dubstep. Burial's a visionary, fo' sho'.

But with Tupac gone (R.I.P.) , and Eminem being with his family, the only rapper I find decent right now is lil wayne.

You cannot be serious.

But, I do believe it would be nice for Rock to overcome Rap. To be honest, I always hated rap. All of my life.

But have you heard good rap?

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member

If all you judge of the genres are what's on MTV and the radio, then that's all you deserve. There's plenty of great rock and rap artists that aren't getting anywhere near the attention they deserve.

I agree with you there, especially on the rap aspect, since most of the rap I've enjoyed recently come from fairly unknown artists.

The Tail

On the rock side, most rock bands up the popularity of the genre, while others wear it down. Well, what I mean is, just because an artist is the same genre of artists, doesn't mean they have to be exactly the same. I'm not talking about Metal being Alternative Rock. In case you don't get it, just because they are that specific genre, doesn't mean they all have to have the same styles of it.
Like Saving Abel is Saving Abel & Theory Of A Deadman is Theory Of A Deadman, Hoobastank's Hoobastank, Breaking Benjamin's Breaking Benjamin. You can not make them sound the same just because they are the same genre, everyone's different, everyone has their own styles of a genre.Same with rap (even though I hate it) And that's my long lecture on how stupid you guys are reacting to this. Jonas Brothers are rock, then call them Pop-Rock, that's what I'm getting to.

The Tail

Don't you mean 'Rock's taking it back'?

Yeah something like that, my point is...NO 2 BANDS ARE THE SAME EVEN IF THEY ARE THE SAME GENRE! NOT EVEN 2 SONGS BY THE SAME ARTIST IS THE SAME! EVERY SONG IS STYLED DIFFERENT!...I have to calm down...but that's what I'm talking about.

Yeah something like that, my point is...NO 2 BANDS ARE THE SAME EVEN IF THEY ARE THE SAME GENRE! NOT EVEN 2 SONGS BY THE SAME ARTIST IS THE SAME! EVERY SONG IS STYLED DIFFERENT!...I have to calm down...but that's what I'm talking about.

Unless John Lenon plagiarizes it.
Some bands are the same, as in the lead singer/guitarist switched to a different band.

.TraX.

Bad and Nationwide
And proof of that is where? Music is all subjective, either you like the song or not, just because a person likes one genre does not mean that its better than another.
From the beginning, music has evolved and gone through certain trends, if this is the next stage then so be it, i've no problem with it, if it sounds good to me, it sounds good to me

The proof is that many educated people like Rock while most everyone that likes rap has the mental abilities of a rock.

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
The proof is that many educated people like Rock while most everyone that likes rap has the mental abilities of a rock.

Lol... No

Sauce please, find me a reputable sauce that states that then maybe i'll believe that but until then no, just no.

Cyan

Mortal

Thriller wasn't made this decade. Appetite for Destruction wasn't made this decade. Are You Experienced? wasn't made this decade.

PokemonHero

I can see the future

Uh...
Back In Black
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Led Zeppelin
Physical Graffiti

...There's many more rock albums that I can list that are better than anything that has come out in the past decade.

Really, the rock genre has been messed up majorly by those Disney groups who they claim are rock. Seriously, that's not rock. Those bands are a disgrace to the genre.

I agree with the idea though that there are a number of bands/rappers that we do not hear of because they do not get picked up by major record labels. More or less, I think the rock/rap crossover thing is more about record labels making money than anything else.

~-Overheat-~

Black/White!
Rap should be a part of rock. After all, rap does sound close to rock. Linkin Park does have rap songs dont they?

And i totally agree about this 'pop' thing. I tried giving it a chance by calling it 'catchy' but no. Hannah Montana ruined it for me.

And i dont want my kids to think Rock is lame and Pop is the cool thing. The way this generation is going, these 10 year old HM, JB fans would grow up like this. Hopefully they'll be like me and stick anywhere from Alternative Rock to Heavy Metal. I dont mind other genres(cept pop). Hip Hop is okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.