• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rock taking over rap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomCharizard

In my opinion, when artist mix these two genres they get really nice sounding music.
They've done it in the past, if you can recall Run-DMC. (Check out, King of Rock, Rock Box, or my favorite "Walk This Way" with Aerosmith). Linkin Park and Jay-Z's songs are great aswell, and even though I absolutely despise Lil Wayne and what he has done with Rap, the new song is not bad at all.

I'm all for some Hip-Hop-Rock. or Rock Hop. Or Rop. hehe.

Cyan

Mortal
This format seems to work better with more 'rock' these days (although so can previous rap as illustrated by Public Enemy's 'Bring the Noise', the version featuring Anthrax). I think it's just an experimental thing that'll last until new music fads are introduced, which given the current climate of music will take a few months, by which time Gabba shall claim its rightful position.
Pan flute'll rape Gabba.
You took the bait.

Dammit!

HK

Radiance of Shadows
Thriller wasn't made this decade. Appetite for Destruction wasn't made this decade. Are You Experienced? wasn't made this decade.

Uh...
Back In Black
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Led Zeppelin
Physical Graffiti

...There's many more rock albums that I can list that are better than anything that has come out in the past decade.

I'm not a person who wears rose-tinted glasses and thinks that the only type of rock and rap being produced nowadays is the **** you hear on MTV and mainstream radio. (Not to mention the only genuinely good album in either list is Physical Graffiti; the rest either suffer from "singles-only syndrome" or else fall victim to doing the same song over and over.)

If we're including punk (rock) and its off-shoots, as well as metal (hey, if people count Black Sabbath, then metal's fair game), I can name dozens upon dozens upon dozens of albums that have come out in recent years that are up to and surpass most of the critically-acclaimed classics.

(And really, you could've picked Revolver, and went with Sgt. Peppers? Or Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Forever Changes or Odessey and Oracle for better psychadelia?)

My thing with rap music: I don't usually like the music part, and the lyrics? Come on. Though rapping is still an acceptable artform, and sometimes, rapping can work well in the context of other music forms.

Too true. All of the other rappers who actually had some sort of point to them are long gone. Now we're left with guys who wake up one morning and think they feel like rapping a few songs and making a few bucks. I find it rather sad.

Guys, rap exists beyond VH1, MTV and BET, y'know.

Cain Nightroad

Daydreaming
Think of Anthrax and Public Enemy teaming up for the rap-thrash crossover, "Bring the Noise." Also, Slayer's Kerry King played guitar for the Beastie Boys song, "No Sleep Till Brooklyn."

Though my two example are mainly just metal interacting with rap, there has been quite a surge in older bands taking the centerstage along rappers such as 50 Cent, Ludacris, and Lil Wayne. Often, not at the same time, but 2008 has seen a lot of older rock/metal bands producing some albums that have done quite well in a day and age where rap is a powerful genre.

Rock/metal and rap have been competing for quite a while; and now, we have bands and rappers working together for songs, and there are bands like Rage Against the Machine that are rap-rock and rap-metal.

(s.i.e)

★skydragon★
Is Rock music fusing with rap music? I think it's a possitive evolution.

i wouldn't call it evolution the people who make that discovered how they can become rich on a modern way.

SlipKnoT

There's rap, there's rock, and there's rap-rock. All three genres have existed for years. It's nothing new really. Nu-metal bands have been around since the mid-late 90's, fusing the two genres, several of which have attracted mainstream attention. Rap isn't taking over rock, rock isn't taking over rap. There are rock bands and there are rap artists, then there are those that mix that two. That's it.

CrystalSaurTower

Most of the hardcore rockers I know alienate themselves to the genre and refuse to call anything beyond the Beatle's pop stint 'actual' music. Rock obliterating rap is about as likely as an underground pop-rock hit.

Laser Shuckle

both are gonna stay seperate as long as there are rappers who will stick to rap rather than rock and vise versa

what your saying is like ketchup taking over mustard.... you can mix them and get something good but there will always be people who will make and buy true rock and rap songs.

KetchupO

tωisted
From my knowledge, America is more into Rap & Australia more into Rock.
Europe = RnB lovers.

As for the mixing of the two genres. I love it when new sounds are introduced to the music industry : )

And stop b!tching about Jonas Brothers & Miley Cyrus. You don't like that music, don't listen to it. Is it really that hard -__-?
{And please be smart enough to know what a rhetorical question is when reading this post.}

treespyro

Vintage much?
Rock is the Music Industries Gold

Since the 50's and always will be. Rock was first and will be Number 1 still. Rap came into picture at the Late 80's, Early 90's. Rap was good back then But Now well it had dropped.

And stop b!tching about Jonas Brothers & Miley Cyrus. You don't like that music, don't listen to it. Is it really that hard -__-?

They are pop, Not Rock

Calling pop rock is not wise, especially when it's epic fail in the first place. I don't listen to it either, but I can still vent frustration towards then.
KetchupO said:
{And please be smart enough to know what a rhetorical question is when reading this post.}
Please be smart enough to know that nobody will take care of this and post anyway.

KetchupO

tωisted
They are pop, Not Rock
Calling pop rock is not wise, especially when it's epic fail in the first place. I don't listen to it either, but I can still vent frustration towards then.
Point out to me where I called it rock. :/
I was responding to posts made earlier on in this thread.

Charizard_Millky

Punk Rock > You
Rock is basically dead. Pop and Rap is everywhere which completely disgusts me. I personally prefer Punk Rock (more 90s then anything else but FYS are good) and wish that the damned radio would play Punk. All you hear is Rap, Pop, R&B and techno which all personally makes me want to die.

Also for more of a rant (for the hell of it) why do people call (punk)rock emo music? It's loud, fast and just because the songs actually have means don't mean they're emo. Yes, some songs do have breakdowns in them which is commonly found in emo music but it doesn't make it emo.

IMO the words rock and emo get thrown around way too much. We are in the Rap/Pop generation. I am waiting for 2010-2020 were punk rock, rock and pop punk come back like in the 90s.

Sorry if I offended anyone but this is just the opinion of a massive punk fan.

Rock is basically dead.
I disagree. There is still Rock out there, but it definitely isn't as potent as it was a decade or two ago.
Charizard_Milky said:
Pop and Rap is everywhere which completely disgusts me. I personally prefer Punk Rock (more 90s then anything else but FYS are good) and wish that the damned radio would play Punk. All you hear is Rap, Pop, R&B and techno which all personally makes me want to die.
Agreed.
Charizard_Milky said:
IMO the words rock and emo get thrown around way too much.
Agreed again. There are plenty of examples of that in today's music scene.
Charizard_Milky said:
We are in the Rap/Pop generation. I am waiting for 2010-2020 were punk rock, rock and pop punk come back like in the 90s.
Or even better, the 80s.

~Magic Thunderbolt~

Or 70's punk - the Ramones and Sex Pistols ...

Let us not forget grunge, that gave rock a bit of life back in the early 90's.

Thankfully Metallica is still around...

Cyan

Mortal
Rock is basically dead.

Not really, dude. Metallica, Velvet Revolver, Van Halen, (As much as I to admit it) Guns N' Roses, and Aerosmith are all still alive and kicking.

But if Chuck Berry or Little Richard die, then we can pronounce rock as dead.

Arahabaki

Come at me bro.
rap is retarded now. The only good rap is the kind where people don't talk about how wide their rims are or other stuff(ex. Crank Dat, Get Silly, Laffy Taffy, Get Like Me, etc.)

HK

Radiance of Shadows
Not really, dude. Metallica, Velvet Revolver, Van Halen, (As much as I to admit it) Guns N' Roses, and Aerosmith are all still alive and kicking.

Do you seriously believe that those groups are representative of rock?

Man, guys, I hate repeating myself: stop listening to garbage on pandering cable channels and the radio and assuming that's all there is and can be. It's ****ing stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.