• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rock taking over rap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One genre of music could never completely overtake another genre. There are combinations of styles of music, but no replacements.

Raichu4u

I'm not josh'n
Do you seriously believe that those groups are representative of rock?

Man, guys, I hate repeating myself: stop listening to garbage on pandering cable channels and the radio and assuming that's all there is and can be. It's ****ing stupid.

And like we care about pity opinions you have? anyway We only gave some examples. And I think he was thinking classic rock. Not the today bands of Green Day and AFI. Not saying that I hate them, I actually like most of todays rock songs.

Cyan

Mortal
And like we care about pity opinions you have? anyway We only gave some examples. And I think he was thinking classic rock. Not the today bands of Green Day and AFI. Not saying that I hate them, I actually like most of todays rock songs.

I was actually thinking of bands who are still active that survive the test of time. Well, Smith and Halen do.

Cain Nightroad

Daydreaming

The groups are the most well-known (except for Velvet Revolver) older rock groups, and they could be considered representative of rock. However, modern rock is much different, and each band (aside from the more modern Velvet Revolver) has gone downhill from those days back in the '80's.

...And even for groups representative of past rock, where the hell on that list were Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, The Allman Brothers Band, The Outlaws, and Molly Hatchet?

Just reminding you that we've combined metal and rock just for this thread, as stated somewhere in here.

Cyan

Mortal
...And even for groups representative of past rock, where the hell on that list were Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, The Allman Brothers Band, The Outlaws, and Molly Hatchet?

I picked the ones that are still active. Sabbath, Zepp, and I believe Purple are done. You got me on Maiden.

Faucet

I love lamp
This topic is silly. You can't over take a genre. This is why I hardly ever listen to mainstream, what with all that bandwagon nonsense that revolves around it.

ReallyOcean

Thunder Trainer
Agreed Otaku, I dunno, artists these days aren't even all that's supposed to be called rock (Jonas Brothers, Hannah Montana) today's "rock" sounds somewhat closely to pop, which is also getting worse. REAL rock artists are a hard find these days...and the ones still out there have songs of horrible meanings (I'm looking at you Saving Abel!)and its like HM & JBs are casting a spell all around the world and kids are getting possessed by this "music". Rap on the other hand was horrible to begin with.
Jonas Brothers and Hannah Montana do make rock songs.

It's just a word and I don't think it's being thrown around too much. There isn't one definition of rock, and that's it. There's plenty of sub-genres of rock that very much include musicians such as Jonas Brothers and Hannah Montana.

Man, guys, I hate repeating myself: stop listening to garbage on pandering cable channels and the radio and assuming that's all there is and can be. It's ****ing stupid.
Those bands do play rock music.

Calling pop rock is not wise, especially when it's epic fail in the first place. I don't listen to it either, but I can still vent frustration towards then.
What? Not wise? It's pop rock. Stop acting like there is one definition of rock on earth. They DO produce rock music. Just because it doesn't sound exactly like the music you may consider to be rock doesn't mean it's not rock. Rock has become and is an enormous genre.

Last edited:

Cain Nightroad

Daydreaming
Otaku, I'm going to have to go with ReallyOcean on this one. You have to remember that the Beatles were pop-rock, and Coldplay (which aren't too bad in comparison to the other "pop-rock" bands out there) are as well. Pop-rock has been defined by the crap that is the Jonas Brothers and Hannah Montana, and it shouldn't be; there are much better pop-rock bands out there that are good.

HK

Radiance of Shadows
Then enlighten me. What groups do you believe to be true representation of rock?

If by "true representation of rock," you mean 60s and 70s bands who have passed their creative peak, then obviously I can't point to anything like that. (Though a couple King Crimson albums from the 90s and 00s have been nice. Don't care for the albums anymore, but they're interesting and at least show more forward-thinking than any prog rock act from the 70s that's still around.)

If you mean good rock music that falls under the many sub-genres and off-shoots (metal, punk, blues, folk, alternative, indie, hardcore, screamo, new wave, avant-garde, experimental... I could go on), then the following...

5ive
Against Me!
Agalloch
Anathema
Arcturus
Bats
Battle of Mice
Boris
Botch
Jeff Buckley
Cave-In
Circle Takes the Square
City of Caterpillar
Converge
Cursed
Cursive
dredg
Extra Life
Faith No More
Flaming Lips
John Frusciante
Fugazi
Glassjaw
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Gospel
Health
Hot Cross
Isis
Kayo Dot
Kidcrash
Mansun
Mare
maudlin of the Well
The Microphones
Minus the Bear
Modern Life is War
Mr. Bungle
Murder by Death
My Education
Neurosis
NoMeansNo
Oceansize
Opeth
pg.99
Pig Destroyer
Pygmy Lush
Radiohead
Refused
Elliott Smith
Streetlight Manifesto
Sun Kil Moon
These Arms Are Snakes
Thrice
Time of Orchids
TV on the Radio
United Nations
Verse
(early) Weezer

... more than covers what you want. And that's only the beginning of it.

And like we care about pity opinions you have?

Well, aren't you an enlightened individual.

The groups are the most well-known (except for Velvet Revolver) older rock groups, and they could be considered representative of rock.

But not all facets of the genre.

Just reminding you that we've combined metal and rock just for this thread, as stated somewhere in here.

Said that a few posts back (along with punk), as well as in this post.

Those bands do play rock music.

Duh?

What I'm contending is somehow rock music is not as "good" as it once was, and only those bands represent what validity the genre has.

Patman

Cursed shadow
oh god no! I love my rock music but rap is terrible...fusing the two would be...

ARGH! I'M GONNA HAVE NIGHTMARES!

Bobby Frank JR

Mewy Christmas!
I personally don't really like rap/rock. I have not noticed any fusions and don't think it would ever happen and the song is a good one (well maybe not EVER). Although it could be possible...
The only rap song I like is, Hi my name is... by Eminem (I think).

Raging Flame

Pingas trainer
How come "the only rap I like" is always followed by beastie boys/eminem? .-.

Oh and about Hellkorn saying theres other music besides mainstream. True but not alot of people love music enough to go searching for the best underground. Turning on the radio is just easier. However if you give the underground a chance then you might find a new favorite song.

Also anybody who says "rap is teh sux cuz its all drugs, hoes, and bling" needs to listen to Immortal techniques "Dance with the devil". That masterpiece proves that a song can be all about drugs, rape, and gangs and still be meaningful.

No. Just no. Musicians are abusing the word 'rock' these days. Just look at that hunk of shit 'Camp Rock'.

It actually makes me sick.

i agree. the word rock is thrown around so much that even some opera singing mummys boys are classed as rock stars just because they have guitars in their hands (elliot minor) plus alot of people i know saw linkin park working with jay z as betraying their fans...just so you know.

Raging Flame

Pingas trainer
Jay-Z made linkin park good.

el oh el @opinions

HK

Radiance of Shadows
How come "the only rap I like" is always followed by beastie boys/eminem? .-.

Because those are rap artists who provide enough of a racial connect, while allowing them to fall back on listening to their pop-punk and radio rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.