1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Rocketshipping (Jessie x James) General Discussion

Discussion in 'Shippers Community' started by Deseejay, Oct 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deseejay

Deseejay Member

I was shocked not to see a thread already about this...but yeah. ;000;

I'll keep this one to solely Jessie and James, as the term "Rocketshipping" generally applies to them together most often. And since they did get married in the manga, we'll stay more focused on the anime, in which no formal relationship between them was announced.

So for some topics of discussion...
    Why was their love only really open in the manga?
    Do you think their love is still present in the anime?
    Why might have the writers changed their relationship for the anime?
    What are some key pieces of evidence both for and against Rocketshippping in the anime?
    Will they ever be properly together?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  2. Vycksta

Vycksta Well-Known Member

/hopes you got her PM

EDIT: Yep, I'm content with this. Carry on, soldier!

3. Kutie Pie

Kutie Pie "It is my destiny."

Ah, Rocketshipping. One of the first known Pokémon shippings, and I suppose anime shippings in general--that got a name, anyway. Ah, forget it, on with the questions, because this pairing needs the love again.

Why was their love only really open in the manga?

I guess it's because the manga was just a different world from the anime in general. It could also be because the writer/artist (were they the same?) maybe wanted some form of relationship throughout the manga, and Jessie and James already have this closeness about them, so why not deepen it? I haven't found the complete manga to read it through, so I can't make a proper evaluation about it.

Do you think their love is still present in the anime?

From what I can remember, since I stopped watching the anime when it moved to cable, they were really, really close friends. There was rarely a time they were seen separated, and they were just goofy together. It also helped they were put together as partners in the beginning of their training so they could get to know each other better. Well, it was hinted at that they knew each other prior to them joining Team Rocket, but for all we knew, they were just acquaintances, or maybe have only said a few words to one another.

It should be noted that in the Japanese version, they never used suffixes to address one another, which is unusual, but also gives us that hint they are very, very close friends and trust each other.

So to answer the question, it would depend on the circumstances. I don't doubt there's a connection between them, a really strong one at that, so whether it's a romantic connection or not is up to speculation.

Why might have the writers changed their relationship for the anime?

Different writers :/?

Maybe it's to give it a little more realistic perspective? People change, and that includes relationships. Maybe as they grew as characters, a rift between them started? Who knows, but it's rather a shame. It apparently happened after the manga ended and showed them as a canonical couple, so maybe they just wanted to tease the shippers.

What are some key pieces of evidence both for and against Rocketshippping in the anime?

Such a list, and it's getting late here, so I'll just put the most well-known piece of evidence that goes for Rocketshipping:

"Holy Matrimony", the episode where James was revealed to have been in an arranged marriage. It was either inherit the fortune by marrying Jessebelle (however you spell her name) and thus end his life as a Rocket member, and thus leave his best friends, or decline it and risk losing it to live the life of a Rocket or whatever awaited him in the future, but at least he'd be with his friends.

We don't know what happened between him and his parents, but he chose to remain with his friends. The episode ends with Jessie and James looking each other in the eyes rather... longer than usual. Meanwhile, they seem to have forgotten about Meowth.

Oh, and they hug a lot when they get frightened. They obviously trust each other enough to do that.

Will they ever be properly together?

Who knows what the future holds. For all we know, they'll just end up as the butt monkey all the way through the end of the anime, and their fates may end up unknown. But judging by their close friendships, they may end up together like in the manga. Or, if they marry other people, they will at least live close by so they could still visit each other, and possibly be neighbors.

Only time will tell.

4. Tykira

Tykira Wishful thinking FTW

O.O Whoa! I just saw this thread and it only has 2 posts?! I figure with this being one of the main shippings, this would have as many posts and views as pokeshipping! Something isn't right here >.<

5. Wolfgirl44

Wolfgirl44 Ignitionshipper

I'll join this club. I adore Rocketshipping. The fact that Jessie and James seem to care so much about each other was what propelled them to near the top of my favorite characters list when I was little.

6. Kutie Pie

Apparently it's because one of the main reasons is the fandom for Rocketshipping has broken into different sects over the years, and most of them won't agree with each other at times. It's also because of the lack of shipping material available in the show, though it's been slowly coming back, so I hear.

This page on Bulbapedia explains it better.

7. Wolfgirl44

It always baffles me how seriously the Pokemon fandom takes shipping. I mean, come on. If you ship it you ship it, if you don't you don't. Most fandoms I've been in, that's all there is to it and everyone tolerates each other. But with Pokemon, you have to really watch your step. It's crazy.

Sorry... that was my off-topic microrant for the day.
    On topic, it did seem like they had a few hints last season, but I haven't seen anything in the new season.
    Admittedly, I have not been looking very hard.

8. Kutie Pie

And I thought Naruto shipping was serious business.

I wouldn't know if there was anything in Best Wishes. I haven't been watching it. I'll only watch it if it's revealed Ash and Giovanni finally get to fight one another. Seriously, he's the main villain this time, but I haven't heard of anything that he has done yet. Bah, that's for another thread.

Here's a topic discussion:

What do you think keeps Jessie and James together, despite the fact they were assigned to one another. With all of their failures, what is that one bond that's been keeping the two (and Meowth) a team this whole time? (Stealing Pikachu being their motivation doesn't count, and is most likely not very effective.)

9. Wolfgirl44

What do you think keeps Jessie and James together, despite the fact they were assigned to one another. With all of their failures, what is that one bond that's been keeping the two (and Meowth) a team this whole time? (Stealing Pikachu being their motivation doesn't count, and is most likely not very effective.)

They have a similar attitude towards life. Despite all their failures, they remain unshakeable optimists. I think that's unusual for 'villain' characters. No matter what happens, they always try again with equal enthusiasm. And they take life as a fun adventure, always trying to make a joke out of everything with rhymes and silly actions. In spite of all the goofiness, they never lose sight of what they set out to do.

Edit: Why does everything I say end up being so short? I think I've lost my talent for long-winded shipping rants. D=

10. Meowth City

Meowth City ♥ Shipper ♥ Staff Member Moderator

Oooh, can I join this thread? Rocketshipping is one of my favourite Pokemon shippings out there. I love their intractions in the anime, and had no idea they got married in the manga :O

11. Kutie Pie

I never even answered my own question.

For one thing, it's the friendship they both share. You can also say they are like opposites of one another, at least when it comes to their background: Jessie grew up poorer than dirt, and James was living the high-life and thus knew every single freakin' thing on every new Pokémon we see. The one thing they both had in common was they were outcasts in many ways.

Thus, they can understand each others' pains and thoughts well. Though James had his Growlithe, he never had a human friend, whom he found in Jessie. Jessie was shipped off from foster home to foster home, so she never did get to make many friends, if at all, though she did become friends with a Chansey in nursing school.

Both of them know the lonely life, and they don't want to go back, which may be one of the reasons why James decided to stay with Jessie and Meowth. After all, birds of a feather flock together.

Another topic of interest:

How do you think Jessie and James spend Christmas together?

If they're not chasing down Ash and the gang, or possibly drowning their sorrows, they probably count their blessings and make gifts by hand for one another if they don't have the money (which is often, of course). I envision them staking out somewhere and had cut down a small tree (or sapling) and decorated it with whatever they have, mainly bottle caps. And them and their Pokémon would sit around it and enjoy each others' company.

It sounds lonely, but they have each other.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.