• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rocking the Virbank Gym! (Part 1) (744)

Excluding Pikachu because we see it all the time, now I bet were going to gradually see more and more past gen Pokemon in the show from this point on.

JudySpell

Banned
I was happy to see Ash challenge Roxie in place of Drayden but man why did Virbank City look so generic unlike in the games. 5.5/10

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
So Roxie's gym was a rock club like in the games. I was surprised that Ash was allowed to use six pokemon however, but after seeing how Koffing defeated Boldore and Unfezant, I kind of understood the decision.

Leonhart

Imagineer
As much as I liked Homika, I wasn't happy seeing Satoshi challenge the Tachiwaki City Gym here because I had always wanted him to duke it out with Shaga in Souryuu City. That said, Homika's Dogas was delightful. It gave me fond memories of Kojirou's Dogas. I also liked the rocker audience in the Gym.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
This gym battle was generic. This is supposed to be the last gym battle: where is the build up? I didn't want to see six of Ash's Pokemon struggling so bad to beat 3 of Roxie's, especially when one is not even evolved. :x

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I wasn't happy seeing Satoshi challenge the Tachiwaki City Gym here because I had always wanted him to duke it out with Shaga in Souryuu City.

I figured that Ash challenged Virbank's gym cuz it was a way of promoting B2W2 at the time. I didn't even mind much any ways cuz I liked Roxie, although looking back I think she should've used more than just three poison type pokemon in this battle.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
That's exactly why we got Ash versus Roxie, though it was one of BW's worst decisions since this Gym match didn't have enough intensity...

I disagree about the Virbank gym lacking intensity. To me it was full of action especially how we saw Roxie's Koffing outmaneuvering Ash's Pokemon and proving that Roxie was a tough gym leader despite her rock band priorities. ^^

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
I disagree about the Virbank gym lacking intensity. To me it was full of action especially how we saw Roxie's Koffing outmaneuvering Ash's Pokemon and proving that Roxie was a tough gym leader despite her rock band priorities. ^^

I mean, Koffing was strong sure, but it made no sense since it was un-evolved. Roxie should've had a Weezing, which would've been better. :/

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I mean, Koffing was strong sure, but it made no sense since it was un-evolved. Roxie should've had a Weezing, which would've been better. :/

I think she was given a Koffing instead of having a Weezing cuz Koffing was in her B2/W2 team. Still, I liked how we saw a gym leader relying on a Pokemon that would've normally seemed weak. It was a refreshing change of pace.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
I think she was given a Koffing instead of having a Weezing cuz Koffing was in her B2/W2 team. Still, I liked how we saw a gym leader relying on a Pokemon that would've normally seemed weak. It was a refreshing change of pace.

I didn't see it as good, because Ash had faced James's Koffing in Kanto, so naturally, he should have had no issues dealing with this one.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I didn't see it as good, because Ash had faced James's Koffing in Kanto, so naturally, he should have had no issues dealing with this one.

James' Koffing was much different however. His was weak cuz he never trained it, but clearly Roxie's Koffing here had substantial training as seen when it defeated two of Ash's Pokemon before finally getting taken down by Ash's Leavanny. :]

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
James' Koffing was much different however. His was weak cuz he never trained it, but clearly Roxie's Koffing here had substantial training as seen when it defeated two of Ash's Pokemon before finally getting taken down by Ash's Leavanny. :]

Tbh, Boldore and Unfezant weren't exactly that strong, anyway. So them losing wasn't too shocking, though I didn't expect Leavanny to get the win.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Looking back, I wonder why Satoshi was allowed to use six Pokemon against Homika here. I'm guessing that it was to make the Tachiwaki Gym battle seem like a bigger hurdle than every previous Isshu Gym, although that could've alternatively been accomplished if Homika had simply been given stronger Poison-types.

Daizy

I call you honey
I liked the set-up the writers went through with the first half of the episode by having the kids talk about how powerful the Virbank Gym Leader was and about Roxie's battling style which gives you a sense of power from her.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Daizy said:
I liked the set-up the writers went through with the first half of the episode by having the kids talk about how powerful the Virbank Gym Leader was and about Roxie's battling style which gives you a sense of power from her.

I think the writers were trying to compensate for the fact that in the games Homika was only the second Gym Leader and was generally considered to be weak there, so they wanted to build her up more as the eighth Isshu Gym Leader in this episode to make Satoshi's Gym battle more intense.

Scorbunnie

It was weird seeing Gothitelle knocked out when Ash arrived since Roxie's poison-types should have been at a disadvantage against a psychic type.

What made me more confused is that Roxie's Koffing was made to look like an all star Pokemon even though it really sucks in the games.