• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rocking the Virbank Gym! (Part 1) (744)

Trainer Frankie

Nostalgia.
anyone know if the person that voiced james koffing back in the original season is the same one that voiced roxies?

It honestly didn't sound like the same va, but not sure.

SlimeStack

I really enjoyed that episode. It would have been nice if Unfezant wasn't sandwiched between Boldore and Leavanny though. It feels like it was hardly even there. Maybe Ash should have utilised switching to get his 6 Pokémon out, rather than having them fall like dominoes.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
This was a really good episode. I was really nervous to hear Roxie's voice in the anime, but it's well acceptable in my opinion.

Her Koffing is pretty tough, especially with that high speed.

Leveanny had me in tears of joy when he was able to string shot Koffing and spin it around like a merri-go-round. Leavanny is one tough fighter. Unfezant gets an honorable mention for attempting to defeat Koffing, too; too bad she got poisoned out of it. Poor Boldore though, at least he tried with Sandstorm.

WaterDragon trainer

Freak Like Me
I thought this episode was pretty good so far. The battle is going along quite well, though I'm a tad surprised that none of the other trainers thought of using a steel type.

Orton155

Pokemon Enthusiast
An interesting beginning to the gym battle in Virbank City especially when Roxie decided that she wanted it to be a 6 vs 3. What I can't decide if it came across as arrogance or just confidence but I guess I will make my conclusion in Part 2.

For Ash the battle started well, with sandstorm proving to be a sensible opening strategy but then Koffing started it's steamroller strategy on both Boldore and Unfezant. Towards the end of the episode, Ash regained momentum by using a clever Energy ball and string shot strategy with Leavanny to reduce koffings special defence and speed and this proved enough to finish Koffing off. The episode ended with Roxie bringing out her scolipede and using toxic to poison Leavanny. Will Ash prevail?

On to the next one!

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Just started watching the episode again & I was amazed by how tough the trainers at Pokémon Center said how tough Roxie was. For those of you who played the game, is Roxie really as tough as the other trainers said she was?

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Just started watching the episode again & I was amazed by how tough the trainers at Pokémon Center said how tough Roxie was. For those of you who played the game, is Roxie really as tough as the other trainers said she was?

Unless she poisons your team and uses Venoshock right after, then no.

Also, bringing a Lucario practically makes her team a cakewalk.

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
LOL WTF ASH SCANS KOFFING.

Did he never saw one or something!? >__>
Surprise! Surprise! Ash has no recollection of the many battles with Team Rocket James Koffing whatsoever! That's the problem with this saga... No references to Ash's previous adventures NONE!

And...do Beldums even appear before you hit her Gym.

Nope, but you get a Magnetite. And to the person above you, past references has stayed pretty vague anyway plus Ash's goal is to complete the Pokedex, regardless of what he's seen before. Not a big deal.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Nope, but you get a Magnetite. And to the person above you, past references has stayed pretty vague anyway plus Ash's goal is to complete the Pokedex, regardless of what he's seen before. Not a big deal.

When was completing the pokédex Ash's goal? Anyway, I think the writers purposely had Ash scan Koffing so that they could introduce it to younger viewers who never played R/B/Y/FR/LG

When was completing the pokédex Ash's goal? Anyway, I think the writers purposely had Ash scan Koffing so that they could introduce it to younger viewers who never played R/B/Y/FR/LG

Well it is one of things we do in the games, but good point anyway.

charizardmaster125

anyone know if the person that voiced james koffing back in the original season is the same one that voiced roxies?

I believe that Bill Rodgers (Brock) is the voice of Roxie’s Koffing, Michael Haigney provided the voice of Koffing under 4Kids though in "A Poached Ego" I think that Eric Stuart provided the voice for the Koffing captured by Rico plus the “fresh” recordings of Weezing, because it showed more emotions in that ep than any others previous.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this episode, yes it was let down by the dub's choice of music but a solid episode none the less and plus points to Bill for making Koffing sound very close to its original voice and Koffing in Who's that Pokemon, just like the Japanese version.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
Dat grimer put a stop to my magnemite sweep pretty fast.
That's Challenge Mode man...

Anyway, I didn't care for this episode when it first aired in Japan and I don't care for it now. I understand the writers wanted to make it interesting, but this could have been a simple 3 on 3 and Ash would still win, given Boldore and Unfezant caused little damage to Koffing, meaning Leavanny could of won on his own.

And Palpitoad did absolutely nothing other then appear onscreen to show that Ash still owns him