• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rocking the Virbank Gym! (Part 1) (744)

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
When was completing the pokédex Ash's goal? Anyway, I think the writers purposely had Ash scan Koffing so that they could introduce it to younger viewers who never played R/B/Y/FR/LG

Makes sense but Ash should have already completed that portion of his Pokemon full of old pokemon. It just makes Ash seem dumber than he is by older kids(adult) who have been watching the show for years.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
Makes sense but Ash should have already completed that portion of his Pokemon full of old pokemon. It just makes Ash seem dumber than he is by older kids(adult) who have been watching the show for years.

He gets a new pokedex each region...
It also teaches little kids (who are the target audience) about pokemon they migth have not seen or haven't seen in a while.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
When was completing the pokédex Ash's goal? Anyway, I think the writers purposely had Ash scan Koffing so that they could introduce it to younger viewers who never played R/B/Y/FR/LG
Uh... Koffing is in the current Unova dex... so introductions weren't exactly needed. Not to mention HG/SS was released not too long ago either, where Koffing was available

Ph03n1x

To be fair, it's been a really long time. The last Koffing to appear in the anime was about halfway through Sinnoh, and he wasn't the one battling it.

EDIT: Actually, this is the first time he's ever scanned Koffing with his Pokédex. Ever.

Dude..he spent the whole first season being run down by team rocket and their koffing. You'd think he'd have had ample time to get to know the pokemon

Erinmizu

Dude..he spent the whole first season being run down by team rocket and their koffing. You'd think he'd have had ample time to get to know the pokemon

Ash using pokedex on older pokemon he knows is obviously for the younger fans who never saw one. Some kids don't play the games so they would not know what it was or maybe they are new to the series. My friend who is 16 never heard of pokemon till BW came out

halloweenghost

Ash using pokedex on older pokemon he knows is obviously for the younger fans who never saw one. Some kids don't play the games so they would not know what it was or maybe they are new to the series. My friend who is 16 never heard of pokemon till BW came out

where has your friend been? Under a rock? I keed I keed...

Pretty good episode... and this has not the first time ash has scanned a pokemon he has scanned before :p so no big deal.

I miss Koffing's old voice... oh well :p

I was happy to See Roxie's band mates looked just like they do in games.. usually the anime doesn;t always live up to details like that.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
It also teaches little kids (who are the target audience) about pokemon they migth have not seen or haven't seen in a while.

What's the "who's that pokemon" gag that keeps popping up for it's not for teaching kids about Pokemon? Ash doesn't have to do it. All he needs is to take his old Pokedex and upgrade or he can just remember it like someone said a few pages ago.

Last edited:

cg19293

The real problem is that Ash is the only one with a pokedex, whereas in previous seasons Dawn or May would dex a Pokemon that Ash has already seen

SmartD

It was a neat episode. Roxie looks really tough, and she knocked out three of Ash's Pokemon. And it's been a while since there was a Koffing in the anime.

LizardonX

Banned
The real problem is that Ash is the only one with a pokedex, whereas in previous seasons Dawn or May would dex a Pokemon that Ash has already seen

Or you know Ash could just say it's akoffing, those things fart to float don't they? Then roxie can say yes!, you know your kanto pokemon! or something like that.

Battra

Good start to the 2 parter, Roxie definitely get's alot more development character wise than we've had with the previous 3.

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I'm a bit ashamed to admit that until I saw this episode, I thought Roxy was a guy. o_O At least it was an interesting gym battle, and we get to see a pokemon from before the Unova region (koffing) that isn't Meowth or Pikachu for the first time since season 13. It's also interesting to see a gym battle set up like the games, where you can use all six pokemon against the gym leader's lesser number.

7/10

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I loved how they made Roxie a stronger opponent than she is in the games. It was cool that Ash can use six Pokemon in this gym. It doesn't look good for Ash so far. He took down one of Roxie's Pokemon and she has taken down two of his.

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched

Who could just look at their games, or look it up or at guidebooks which I assume they would get.
And the younger the kids get, the more that they don't give a damn what it is. It's people who are older who get all confused if they see a character they haven't seen people, but has previously been in the show and must need references to the past, to know who the hell they are. I just think the writers give kids much more credit when not needed, sure a 10 year old is gonna be wondering what it is, but a 5 year old is just not gonna care about those details (And a 10 year old does usually have a mind to look it up, or someway in checking it).

I wouldn't have a problem with it really, because it could be easily explained that Ash was letting Iris and Cilan know what Koffing was, but it's that dumbass look that makes you facepalm, he really looked confused like he never met it before. I even sometimes think hey maybe he's just checking up new information on the Pokemon, but he seriously had no clue what Pokemon that was, you know the same Pokemon he kicked the *** of for about 50-100 episodes, the same Pokemon that gave him hell in the second day of his journey along with Ekans.

*~Silver*~

I loved how they made Roxie a stronger opponent than she is in the games. It was cool that Ash can use six Pokemon in this gym. It doesn't look good for Ash so far. He took down one of Roxie's Pokemon and she has taken down two of his.

I thought that was pretty cool too. In the games her Koffing was an easy beat, but in the show it was a mass murderer to Ash's Pokemon.

p96822

Evolve me please
After watching this episode. I have grown to like Roxie because so confendence. Hearing that she beating many trainer was a good forshadowing on the writter part here and it payed off big time for this Gym Leader. It was very cool that the crowd cheer for Ash as well so it wouldn't be a one time thing for rooting for Roxie. The diloge was intressing as well. It showed more of that rock and roll style. When they saw Pikachu's thunderbolt I think they were inpressed with Ash's style and courage.

Roxie also has good rules here. That a gym leader can have different rules for any battle even though it could be in a disadvanage to her. Make her the only gym leader that wants to show her stuff then restricked it. This make her one of the second coolest eight gym leader that I have seen in a long time. The only Gym Leader that had more intressing rules then her was Juan. And I find it that Roxie was a much more powerful Gym Leader then Voltner was.

So in the battle, Koffing showed use how strong it was by beating Ash's Bolder and Unfezant. It Gyro Ball was able to stop Bolder's Rock Blast and Unfezant's Aerial Ace were impressived and showed that this Koffing was on a whole different level then other Pokemon in the Unova region. It speed and confended were good add on to this Koffing's looks and show a little bit of personality to it. Leavanny really hit it hard with that Energy Ball and the speical denfence drop came out of the blue, but it saved Ash's bacon from the fire.

When Leavanny used string shot on Koffing, it remained me about when the first time Ash used it on James' Koffing with Caterpie. This also remained me the first time Ash was in this trouble with Koffing. In episode three Koffing blinded Pikachu, defeat Pigdetto with Enakes and then got beaten by a Cateripie. that combo that Leavanny made was an awesome way of taking Koffing out. But Ash isn't out of the wood yet, Scolipide Toxic looked pretty bad from here and seen like this battle will take a little bit longer then Ash though.

I like this episode with it different thing with the Gym Leader and how strong she was. I liked her more then Voltner and showed how powerful a gym leader can be. I hoped that Ash wins this gym battle and show me that Ash style I love so much.

Aquarelle

Staff member
I liked seeing those trainers at the Pokemon Center who all lost to Roxie because it reminded me of the Vermillion Gym way back.

Roxie is a pretty cool Gym Leader IMO. I like her personality and how strong she is. I was very impressed by her Koffing's strength - I never thought that a Koffing could be that fast and I did not expect that Ash would have to use three of his Pokemon to knock it out. I did like how Leavanny used its String Shot to reel in Koffing and knock it out with Energy Ball, though.

The Virbank Gym itself was also great. I liked how it had Roxie's band and all the fans there.