1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Rocking the Virbank Gym! (Part 2) (745)

Discussion in 'Pokémon Black & White - Rival Destinies' started by Serebii, Jun 14, 2012.

1. realarcastform

realarcastform Rotom Trainer

It was certainly the best Unova gym battle for Ash for sure. Here's hoping for more pokes and more development over this slight return to familiarity. Garbodor is more agile than I thought, Koffing was made amazing in this battle, and it was great to see a status condition versus status condition for the finisher.

2. An00bis

An00bis Wicked Witch

Close Combat during the first Don Battle for Defense.

I think this was the first time special defense was mentioned at all, though.

3. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy Well-Known Member

Reaaaalllllyyyy not happy that they had this be a 6-on-3.

Makes Ash look weak as f***.

Though it makes Homika look like a real challenge if they want to sell the games, I guess...but still, it was kind of dumb imo.

4. Haunter ゴースト

Haunter ゴースト Well-Known Member

It was definetly annoying giving Ash the advantage, not an ideal way to show the last Gym, but it was a great way of showing that Homika was extremely confident and powerful in her battling, giving Ash a real challenge to defeat her for the final Gym Badge.

It was the only way possible really considering she's only the second Gym Leader of B2/W2 being replaced with Drayden.

5. Rohanator

Rohanator Well-Known Member

Right. Though have they ever had a damaging move lower the opponents defenses by secondary effect before?

6. Almighty Zard

Almighty Zard He has returned.

did the referee scream "oh my god!" when Homika lost? or are my ears going crazy?

I gotta admit...this battle had me on the edge of my toes even more so than Volkner's did(not to say the fight wasn't great, but we had a preview spoiler showing Infernape was going to go insane so someone Volkner had was going to die) , it felt more akin to watching his battle with Jaun.

As far as the pokemon go, I think Boldure and Unfezant had their beatings coming to them after evolving to beat previous gym ace each, and Levanny beat Koffing in a cool way, although I kinda have to agree with what someone else said about Gyro Ball, but oh well.

Scolipede vs Levanny was the one thing I didn't want to see, I guess the writers favor Scolipede more between them, Pignite usage of Fire Tower to burn the thing was cool.

Palpitoad...was the only pokemon in the battle who could be labeled as getting cheated...however since we know Palpitoad hasn't lost a fight without getting a win I guess it was coming, but at the same time having it come back after all this time just to get thrashed was abit dumb.

Pikachu and Garbador was well planned out, long enough and a pretty dang good fight as both pokemon showed they didn't want to go down, but in the end Pikachu pulled through.

Compared to some of the previous gym battles this one definitely was worth it^^

7. Rohanator

Palpitoad showed some character here, that look he gave Garbodor after missing the first Mud Shot, he probably said something like, "hmph, not bad" when he spoke to it.:D And then he had this, "It's fine, I got this son" look when Ash told him to fight at his hardest right before "Dare da?" Kinda like the boss he used to be when he was wild. He's a strong fighter for sure, this defeat proves nothing.

8. pokefandt

pokefandt Well-Known Member

No I heard Oh my god as well. Fond memories of Fantina!

Well, Palpitoad aside, the ones that didn't get wins put up a much better fight than I thought they would.

Leavanny and Pignite were awesome, and so was Pikachu I gues.

The whole 6 on 3 thing still rankles me a little, but it could have been worse. Still beats the Elesa battle.

9. Rohanator

By the way, that last shot of Garbodor getting hit by Electro Ball was amazing. It looked so painful, a true ZAP instead of the usual explosions. The last Venoshock on Palpitoad looked really painful as well, poor guy, he had a terrible look right there.

10. JennaJayfeather

JennaJayfeather jflkdjkfgjafgaf

Another win moment was the judge dude.

"OH MY GO--" and "CONGRATURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRATIONS~" XDDDDDD

You know...it's probably terrible of me even imagining this...but all I can think about is Ash losing at that moment and the war paint, drums and outfits were all in vain.x DDDD

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  11. GalladeRocks

GalladeRocks Son of a Beach

Honestly, this pair of episodes was way better than I expected, easily being the best Gym battle of Unova in my opinion. The battle itself was spectacular, and looking back, I realize that everything had some significance to it, even Pignite getting another win. I realize that a lot of people have been complaining about Pignite being used so much, but then I realized why it made sense for him to get a win here. With Boldore, Unfezant, and Palpitoad being the fall guys here, it meant that nobody had to be the fall guy twice in any of the Unova Gym battles. Let's do a quick recap:

Pikachu - 1 (Striaton triplets)
    Unfezant - 1 (Homika)
    Oshawott - 0 (If one doesn't count his tie with Lenora's Watchog as a loss)
    Pignite - 1 (Burgh)
    Snivy - 1 (Elesa)
    Scraggy - 0
    Leavanny - 0 (Even if he had lost here, somebody else would've in his place, so the record stands)
    Palpitoad - 1 (Homika)
    Boldore - 1 (Homika)
    Krokorok - 1 (Skyla)

So, in that regard, Ash's Unova team got fairly equal treatment, with only Scraggy, Leavanny, and debatably Oshawott escaping the role of fall guy. Pikachu and Pignite may have got more Gyms than anyone else, but even they didn't deserve to play the fall guy role extra times. So, in every respect, both in terms of Pokemon treatment and action, this was a really awesome battle. All of the Pokemon were awesome, even Pikachu and Pignite, and we even saw some of Palpitoad's old spirit from prior to his capture, so all in all this was really awesome.

And of course, Iris with war paint is always awesome.

In other news, I don't think that I've ever said "awesome" that many times in one post before.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  12. Rohanator

Now that's what I like to see, finding some positive aspects, that actually makes a lot of sense. The wins have never been even and probably never will be, but at least no one had to get smashed twice without winning.

13. Shneak

Shneak this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨

No, Homika was definitely supposed to be that powerful. You could tell from her victims' horror stories and the ref yelling "oh my God!" when she lost. She's definitely on the higher scale of gym leaders.

Anyways, I've decided I liked Cilan and Iris' interactions. Iris's drums and makeup was random, but it was cute to see them so into cheering Ash on. I also literally thought the rock music got to Iris and she started getting busy with Cilan when it filmed below their shoulders.

14. Bolt the Cat

Bolt the Cat Bringing the Thunder

IDK about that. I'm more worried of the lack of action, and that's something that we won't find out until episodes are announced.

Wallace and Juan were interchangeable in the games, though. Drayden and Homika are not.

IIRC Drayden is pretty much confirmed as the Opelucid Gym Leader.

15. HatersGonnaHate

HatersGonnaHate Throwing Shade

The fandom would explode if anything like that happened. The shippers would also be throwing a year long celebration.

16. thekorean

thekorean Well-Known Member

I still think it was not a good idea to make Ash use up 6 Pokemons against Homika. Ash beat all other gym leaders with 3 or sometimes even less.

Are they really saying Homika is better than all other gym leaders?

17. STICKTOPIA

STICKTOPIA Well-Known Member

Why did this have to be a 6 on 3 battle? I honestly expected more from this battle. Why bother have palpitoad in the battle? After not being seen since the 5th battle that's the way to bring it back? But if that's how they want him to get the badge then ok.....

18. thekorean

thekorean Well-Known Member

Why in gods name is anyone whining about this? it makes all the sense in the world.

19. Missingno. Master

Missingno. Master Poison-type Trainer

It's either that, or it's to make Ash realize that he can't just neglect his reserves and expect them to sweep, just because that was the case with Kingler (and Muk to a lesser extent). I'm personally leaning more towards the former theory, actually, mainly because that battle made me proud to be a lover of the Poison-type.

20. dman_dustin

dman_dustin Well-Known Member

How come no one understands the glaring flaws in their argument?

Turtwig evolved first and Grotle was used more than Monferno, yet Infernape was overall treated better while Torterra wasn't.

That's the point Kira that you seem to be forgetting. Just because Pignite is getting lots of screentime and focus doesn't mean it's the Charizard/Sceptile/Infernape of Unova.

Let's wait until 6th gen is around the corner before judging.

As for me and this idiotic gym battle. The only thing good about it was Leavanny getting a win. But it was definitely better than Nimbasa's gym.

Was not worthy of being the 8th gym. To make matters even worse, ONLY Pikachu was in the end with "I got the toxic Badge"

I can never stop watching Pokemon Anime (as if I have anything else to watch). But the idiocy and problems of best wishes was obvious here.

I'd say the writers should be ashamed of themselves, but the only thing they care about is their next paycheck.