• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rocking the Virbank Gym! (Part 2) (745)

Banana Knight Arthur

NEGATIVE MINUS
Ew. I didn't like that Pignite defeated Homika's Scolipede so easily, but I'm not surprised that nobody is complaining about it; everyone and their parents stan for Pignite. But this points to Pignite being the powerhouse of Ash's team; I guess there's no reason for Oshawott to evolve now. Anyway, I loved that Iris was cheering for Ash so enthusiastically, even if it was for her own reasons. It seems Palpitoad wasn't dead after all, but the fact that it was overwhelmed by Garbodor was ridiculous; the writers just love trolling that thing. It was a good Gym battle all around, and I'm glad it's over since the speculation was getting too overwhelming imo.

Thank you for accepting that.

Not so much that Chao/Pig is a powerhouse, and moreso that the Pendra/pede was a pushover.

Haunter ゴースト

I'm hollering. Why would you use Turtwig's evolution as an example; need I remind you how pathetic Turtwig became when he finally evolved into Grotle, and then from Grotle into Torterra? You're really reaching this time. I think everyone can see that Pignite is going to become the next powerhouse, much like Charizard and Infernape before him.

Why does it matter whether Torterra was poorly treated? Your practically saying Pignite is the main starter and therefore no other starter can evolve, im stating that we've had two fully evolved starters before. Nothing about how they're treated.

And it makes me laugh how your missing out Sceptile, as if your trying to hint that only the fire types can be the main starter.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Why does it matter whether Torterra was poorly treated? Your practically saying Pignite is the main starter and therefore no other starter can evolve, im stating that we've had two fully evolved starters before. Nothing about how they're treated.

And it makes me laugh how your missing out Sceptile, as if your trying to hint that only the fire types can be the main starter.

My point was that even though Turtwig did evolve in the presence of another powerhouse (Chimchar's line), his evolution only made things worse for Ash's team because he became useless due to his mobility issues and a bunch of other problems. Let's face it, he was better as a Turtwig. I don't know why anyone would want another pointless evolution. Let's just be glad that Ash's team is finally shaping up, even if we have yet another Fire-type powerhouse.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
Pardon me, but I'm a bit confused. According to Homika's character bio, Garbador used 5 moves in its battle: Double Slap, Slam, Hyper Beam, Gunk Shot, and Venoshock. Is this true, and if it is, why?! Ever since DP started the anime has been consitent that a Pokemon will only uyse a max of 4 moves during any battle (unless it evolves, which in that case the Pokemon will still only use 4 total moves), so why did they break this rule randomly now. Surely Garbador would be fine without one of those moves, so i see no reason to bring back the days of Orange League Drake's Dragonite. i considered these episodes rediculous enough with it being a 3 vs 6 and the promotion of a weak gymleader for the sake of advertising, but if Garbador really used 5 moves... well, I don't know.

Who was in charge of writing this episode? I want someone to blame (besides myself for getting too excited about something in BW).

Nope no Slam. Serebii is sometimes incorrect in some moves in the pokemon's bios.

RickHoenn

Banned
Welcome to Best Wishes.

Next week: More blatant advertising!

Don't be silly, the Pokemon tv show is and will always be about advertising how many years you've been watching the anime? *facepalm*

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Don't be silly, Pokemon is and will always be about advertising how many years you've been watching the anime? *facepalm*

It wasn't always so obvious though. Not that I have a problem with Ash battling Homika instead of Drayden; I just thought it was weird that Ash battled against her in Best Wishes instead of Best Wishes 2. If they were going to promote a BW2 character, they should have done it right.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
The gym battle delivered overall. I would have rather had Unfezant defeating Scolipede instead of Pignite, but I'll take it. It was a surprisingly well paced battle with it only being a 6vs3.

All in all, Homika owns. And next time is a new beginning, I guess!

Haunter ゴースト

My point was that even though Turtwig did evolve in the presence of another powerhouse (Chimchar's line), his evolution only made things worse for Ash's team because he became useless due to his mobility issues and a bunch of other problems. Let's face it, he was better as a Turtwig. I don't know why anyone would want another pointless evolution.

Alright yes. He definetly was better off as Turtwig, but we've already seen that Oshawott evolving into Dewott would not cause him any problems. We haven't seen Samurotts mobility/speed yet so I won't argue back with a solid factor, but Samurott definetly seems capable of moving fast so i don't see the problem.

Personally to me this just seems like one of your posts that tries to spark up reasons on Oshawott staying unevolved.

Let's just be glad that Ash's team is finally shaping up, even if we have yet another Fire-type powerhouse.

Eh his team hasn't shaped up any differently than when Pignite evolved, and the last time I checked quite a few people were unhappy with the amount of unevolved Pokemon at this point. His team definetly looks shaped up in this battle that's for sure considering he's used all of his evolved Pokemon. Pignite is a fire type powerhouse yes, but there's no point acting like he's the main starter, It's too early to judge.

Like you said though, we should all be glad. And in order to be glad, i'd like to hope Oshawott will either:

-stay unevolved but look and battle like a major powerhouse
-evolve and become a powerhouse
-become the main starter as a samurott

Last edited:

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
The battle seems good, atleast figthning wise.

Annoying that I got my picks rigth or rather Pignite rigth since I was hoping for Palpitoad.

Going to have to watch it after dinner but it doesn't seem bad, they really, really, really overpowered Homika for her to be a credible last gym leader though, worse then the last 3 gyms but good.

They could have used another gym leader and put Homika in the tournament like the possible Shizui but I'm fine anyway.

Really liked her character from what I'm seeing and the whole atmosphere in the gym.

Oh and Pignite seems like more and more he is going to become an Emboar good, good :D.

sorry, who are you? i don't think I've ever seen you before.

Still here?

Last edited:

RickHoenn

Banned
It wasn't always so obvious though. Not that I have a problem with Ash battling Homika instead of Drayden; I just thought it was weird that Ash battled against her in Best Wishes instead of Best Wishes 2. If they were going to promote a BW2 character, they should have done it right.

I guess it was for Best Wishes Season 1 to end with a bang... in case people forgot this isn't something, new they replaced Wallace with Juan back during Emerald's release.

It's possible Drayden is a new E4 member or the new champion idk I just hope we get to see him, I mean Wallace appeared almost 4 years after Sootopolis Gym.

The anime is loosely based in the games so I don't know what's the big deal? It's for advertising, so what? =/

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
Aw this episode was so cute. I got it right that about Ash getting a power up it was because his buddies were on his side. XDDD I giggled everytime. When Dento and Iris were beating those drums they WERE TOTALLY UNCOORDINATED. It just makes me giggle. Iris having slower beats, Dento trying to beat the crap outta the drum. XDD I loved the way the audience looked at them too. Like they were freaks. They are freaks, but they are adorkable freaks. T_T

And yes. Iris slathering orange paint on Dento's face was pretty win o_O I heard him say something about "AMAZING TASTE" there. XDDD

thekorean

And with that, older Gen pokemon officially returns.

clap clap clap

Although this has been overdone, I didnt think this battle should have took two episodes. But oh well.

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.
LMAO. I struggled on deciding whether Pignite or Palpitoad should get the win against Scolipede for weeks(Well ever since Palpitoad was confirmed.:p) & last minute I chose Palpitoad but Pignite ends up getting the win. I'm not upset though, I couldn't decide anyways.

That last minute of Pikachu VS Garbodor disappointed me, but only because of the BGM. It was still good, I like the BW Ending BGM used but I would have preferred BW Instrumental or Gym Leader's Last Pokemon but I'm fine. It was overall a good gym battle.

If you count the overall gym battle victories of every Pokemon used here, all of them could have afforded a loss. Leavanny got 2 wins/0 losses, Pignite got 3 wins/2 Losses, Palpitoad got 1/0, Boldore got 1/0, Pikachu got 4/1, & Unfezant got 2/0. I'm satisfied with this gym, I loved Unfezant VS Koffing & Pignite VS Garbodor the most though.:p

d4rk_tailed

Doritoes,Leaf Storm!
Right up until these aired though I kind of held out hope that Ash would lose at most 3 Pokemon with Pikachu and the remaining 2 surviving but poisoned so that the Unova team doesnt look so mediocre.

It wasnt like Tobias where Ash HAD to lose all 6 Pokemon; now in my mind either Homika is godly strong on a level miles above Brycen et al or the 5 Pokemon Ash picked apart from Pikachu arent ready for a league.

Aegon

Don't be silly, the Pokemon tv show is and will always be about advertising how many years you've been watching the anime? *facepalm*
Since AG.

Kira's completely right; it was never this obvious. Now it's clear that the anime solely cares about advertising, without any interest in the plot at all. Best Wishes has been riddled with inconsistencies. The Pokémon franchise deserves a much better anime.

It wasnt like Tobias where Ash HAD to lose all 6 Pokemon; now in my mind either Homika is godly strong on a level miles above Brycen et al or the 5 Pokemon Ash picked apart from Pikachu arent ready for a league.
See? It's inconsistent and doesn't even seem to care for events that occurred in the BW saga itself.

Last edited:

Rohanator

It's not all about getting wins, I really enjoyed Boldore's and Unfezant's battles even though they lost, great animation and music helps. Also, Koffing is one of my all time favs so might as well get some redemption here. I enjoyed the trust Ash seemed to show Mofotoad, but in the end he was overwhelmed by the Poison/Venoshock combo, still not too bad. And my boy Pignite is further cemented as a powerhouse, don't even care about the "overuse". Hopefully, Emboar DOES become the main starter, even if it's yet another Fire type, it's the first Fire starter that's actually my favourite starter of the region. Pikachu stars again, but it's ok, he's the other main character and this is the final gym, anything else would seem unfitting for me, unlike Infernape, any of the Unova Pokes had no plot reasons to star.
Also, I'm not sure how BW advertises more blatantly than other sagas, if people mean Homika being the final gym then yeah, I guess that's obvious, but it's still an interesting twist for the anime, I don't even care about Drayden. Most people say Ash now looks weak, but really, Homika is apparently such a beast in the anime, that he should be regarded strong just for winning. And since next time is a "New Beginning", this team seems to have plenty of time to develop. It explains why the starters haven't evolved much yet imo.
Also, YES, Ash finally scanned frigging Koffing! I always wanted him to do it when I was a kid.:D
EDIT: Also, YAY a new Pokeball throwing animation for Ash, looked good too!
EDIT 2: One interesting point in the match, they actually had Ash lower Koffing's Special Defense with the secondary effect of Energy Ball, Cilan mentioned this. Not sure if they've ever had a move lower defense by a secondary effect or even mention Special Defense before, I liked that.

Last edited:
Everyone who is whining about Pignite beating Scolipede should really find something else to do with their time.

Palpitoad finally gets some screen time, which is great. I'm happy he didn't win.

I'm more happy for Pignite than I am for Pikachu, even though he was the star. :D

Haunter ゴースト

That last minute of Pikachu VS Garbodor disappointed me, but only because of the BGM. It was still good, I like the BW Ending BGM used but I would have preferred BW Instrumental or Gym Leader's Last Pokemon but I'm fine. It was overall a good gym battle.

Really? I thought the B/W Ending Theme was the best thing to be used, it really fits the atmosphere of winning a battle. Loved every second of it.

The only thing I do think is that when Ash questioned giving up, the pause should have been left a tad bit longer for more tension. It's like as soon as he finished talking Iris spoke right away. Eh, either way it's one of my favourite scenes and episodes of all time.