• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rocking the Virbank Gym! (Part 2) (745)

STICKTOPIA

Why in gods name is anyone whining about this? it makes all the sense in the world.
because they don't make any sense at all. I because because it got a win in the last battle but it still makes no sense.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
As for me and this idiotic gym battle. The only thing good about it was Leavanny getting a win. But it was definitely better than Nimbasa's gym.

Was not worthy of being the 8th gym. To make matters even worse, ONLY Pikachu was in the end with "I got the toxic Badge"

I can never stop watching Pokemon Anime (as if I have anything else to watch). But the idiocy and problems of best wishes was obvious here.

I'd say the writers should be ashamed of themselves, but the only thing they care about is their next paycheck.
I couldn't agree more... yeah, I did find some good aspects, but there was just so much going wrong here.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
My List of gyms from favorite to least favorite

1. Clay
2. Skyla
3. Brycen
4. Burgh
5. Triplets
6. Lenora
7. Homika
8. Elesa

Half were good and the other half were bad.

Rohanator

I really think people are too fixated at counting the wins each Pokemon gets. Let's say Pignite beating Scolipede and doing so well against Garbodor was the first time you've ever seen it in action. You'd probably think it was cool, had good animation, that sure is a strong Pokemon and such. But then you realize that this Pokemon has actually *GASP* BEATEN STUFF BEFORE!? THAT'S OUTRAGEOUS!! Sure, if Pikachu beat more than one, THEN it'd just be plain annoying, but this shouldn't be so bad, at least only one of Ash Pokes went down without really doing anything and he has already definitely proven himself before.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
Didn't the poisoned pokémon look they were paralyzed? People should stop whinning about everything, things would be so much easier if people just relax and accept things just the way they are

No, they we're "badly poisoned." In the games badly poisoned drains HP faster, but I guess it's crippling in the anime.

Aegon

People should stop whinning about everything, things would be so much easier if people just relax and accept things just the way they are
Why? This makes no sense. This is a terrible stance to take, no matter what the subject at hand is.

jrizza88

Meteorite
Ew. I didn't like that Pignite defeated Homika's Scolipede so easily, but I'm not surprised that nobody is complaining about it; everyone and their parents stan for Pignite. But this points to Pignite being the powerhouse of Ash's team; I guess there's no reason for Oshawott to evolve now. Anyway, I loved that Iris was cheering for Ash so enthusiastically, even if it was for her own reasons. It seems Palpitoad wasn't dead after all, but the fact that it was overwhelmed by Garbodor was ridiculous; the writers just love trolling that thing. It was a good Gym battle all around, and I'm glad it's over since the speculation was getting too overwhelming imo.

Honestly, it was obvious to me that Pignite struggled in this battle too! It was poisoned, and got his win due to fire pledge. This was not an easy win at all. I think the battle with Garbodor also showed that fire pledge isn't the all mighty move ever since Venoshock went through it. That battle was pretty epic IMO. Palpitoad's was okay, but I just wished that one of the move would have connected at least. Also, I kind of feel that if it were just 3 vs. 3 with Leavanny, Pignite, and Pikachu Ash would have won. Sure Unfezant and Boldore got some good hits in, and Palpitoad might have took some energy from Garbordor after fighting it. But, I do feel that the results would have been the same!

Also, I think this battle (and I hope this battle) showed Ash that he needs to work on his reserves more!

I was very disappointed that there were no new moves, and that the only special ability shown was Pikachu's static.

Also, I think the fact that it came down to Pikachu showed that Pikachu was the main star of Best Wishes 1, since there wasn't a theme in this arc.

I have a feeling BW2 will be more like DP in which one or two of the starters will have the central role and be the star of the battles. I feel like Pignite/Emboar or the eventual or not-eventual Dewott/Samurott? will be the main star next season. Especially with Oshawott seeming to appear 20x more.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
Honestly, it was obvious to me that Pignite struggled in this battle too! It was poisoned, and got his win due to fire pledge. This was not an easy win at all. I think the battle with Garbodor also showed that fire pledge isn't the all mighty move ever since Venoshock went through it. That battle was pretty epic IMO. Palpitoad's was okay, but I just wished that one of the move would have connected at least. Also, I kind of feel that if it were just 3 vs. 3 with Leavanny, Pignite, and Pikachu Ash would have won. Sure Unfezant and Boldore got some good hits in, and Palpitoad might have took some energy from Garbordor after fighting it. But, I do feel that the results would have been the same!

Also, I think this battle (and I hope this battle) showed Ash that he needs to work on his reserves more!

Wasn't it Hyper Beam that cut through?

And yes Ash needs to use his reserves more.

Grey Wind

I really think people are too fixated at counting the wins each Pokemon gets. Let's say Pignite beating Scolipede and doing so well against Garbodor was the first time you've ever seen it in action. You'd probably think it was cool, had good animation, that sure is a strong Pokemon and such. But then you realize that this Pokemon has actually *GASP* BEATEN STUFF BEFORE!? THAT'S OUTRAGEOUS!! Sure, if Pikachu beat more than one, THEN it'd just be plain annoying, but this shouldn't be so bad, at least only one of Ash Pokes went down without really doing anything and he has already definitely proven himself before.
Agreeing with you. People take this show far, far too seriously (myself included at times).

It's a kid's show meant to advertise a kid's game. If you were expecting fabulous writing and deep storylines, go to some other show. Sure, I hate the fact that Palpitoad was missing for thirty episodes (which is actually pretty bad, even for this show) and the fact that the reserves get dire treatment, but this obsessive complaining over every little thing is just ridiculous. Seriously, the show will never be what you want it to be. Just go with it.

Just watch the show and enjoy it, instead of analysing who has this amount of wins and why x Pokemon deserved to evolve. Watch this battle without... 'thinking' (for lack of a better word), and what do you see? An exciting, well-paced battle. But then, if you go overboard, you just see reserves losing again. I know that seeing Pikachu and Pignite win again and again is annoying, but jeez, every episode has a slew of people *****ing about it afterwards.

I'm not saying that we should never complain (it's a forum--we're supposed to discuss our thoughts, and it's good to critique the show), but it's getting really tiresome to see people just complaining and moaning about almost everything that happens all of the time. Just watch it for what it is--a kid's show.

I do think that Best Wishes has only managed to be better than Johto, but I don't think I've ever seen people happy around here. :|

Last edited:

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
Finally watched the episode and its 10x better then I though it was in the pictures.

My thoughs

-Homika is awesome and Koffing is freaking cute
-The Boldore and Unfezant battles were pretty damn good even though they lost
-Loved how Leavanny beat Koffing and their battle was also good, Koffing was really overpowered though, that thing took so much damage from the previows two pokemon
-Homika is awesome
-Scolipede beat Leavanny easy so nothing special happened, though it was cool that they still took the time to put a cool strategy, Scolipede stiched him with rocks to the ground and finished him off
-Scolpiede vs Pignite, not much happened, Scolipede got owned
-Garbodor vs Pignite, wow now Pignite was even a bigger tank then Koffing here, the thing fought after taking so much damage, this figth was definetly cool and well animated/though too
-Gabodor vs Palpitoad, seeing comments it looked like Palpitoad did bad, he actually lasted sometime, but yeah got poisoned to death
-Garbodor vs Pikachu, awesome battle by both parts, well though, well animated, good final figth

-----------------------

They could have given Homika atleast one more pokemon to make Koffing not look so exageratly strong.

Liked how the theme was poisoning to win.

Regardless of if we are happy about who won or not, the battles where well though and well animated, the gym was pretty good.

d4rk_tailed

Doritoes,Leaf Storm!
I was very disappointed that there were no new moves, and that the only special ability shown was Pikachu's static.

Dont you think it makes Ash look even worse when he ends up winning on the mirage of a luck-based ability? I think having only old moves and showing Ash and his team refining those old strategies (on moves and movement alone) is training.

Bringing in new move after new move and praying that his Pokemon get lucky with their abilities.........I dunno, call me a cartoon purist but I think, as in sport you play one way, refine that way and dont rely on the weather, opponent flaws etc to get yourself the win?

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I do think that Best Wishes has only managed to be better than Johto, but I don't think I've ever seen people happy around here. :|

Sis, you're tripping. Almost everyone here loves BW. They treat it with reverence, like it's the second coming of Christ. But anyway, I'm just shocked that some people are complaining about Pignite's easy victory against Scolipede, mostly because these are the exact same people who claim that he's one of the strongest Pokemon on Ash's team. Either people changed their minds about it overnight, or they're just looking for something to complain about.

Banana Knight Arthur

NEGATIVE MINUS

Well, the green static after the first Energy Ball was Energy Ball's secondary effect, Dogasu/coughing's SP.Def was lowered; Dento even made note of it as usual.

Sapphire Kirby

Evaluation time!
Nope no Slam. Serebii is sometimes incorrect in some moves in the pokemon's bios.

Thank you, that is certantly a releif to me. These episodes are not perfect in my eyes, but I'm still glad the writters didn't break every rule in this episode.

Sis, you're tripping. Almost everyone here loves BW. They treat it with reverence, like it's the second coming of Christ. But anyway, I'm just shocked that some people are complaining about Pignite's easy victory against Scolipede, mostly because these are the exact same people who claim that he's one of the strongest Pokemon on Ash's team. Either people changed their minds about it overnight, or they're just looking for something to complain about.

While I commend you use of almost to prevent a generalization, I'm pretty sure BW isn't as loved as it may seem. I certantly see plenty of post that discuss this saga's flaws and imperfections. It doesn't help that we live in a world where if someone isn't happy and content with a subject then they have to GTFO. As for Pignite, I'm sure not all of them are flip floppers of oppinions; this fandom is huge, so it is foolish to think everyone is in agreement on any one subject. I believe that its more likely that people who always had issues with Pignite are just stepping out of the woodworks because they now have an example to explain their view. People who don't have Pignite problems are just staying quiet or acting positive to their own views. It is also possible that just because a person loves how strong Pignite is does not mean the person has to love every battle it participates in.

Banana Knight Arthur

NEGATIVE MINUS
Let's face it, all of Ash's team did great, except for Gantle(rock) and Gamagaru(frog).

Kenhollow(bird) did lose but she put up a good fight.

As for Homika, she had an interesting personality, and the fact that she'd heal Chaobuu(pig) and Pikachu(albeit Pika's battle was over). And she wasn't as cocky as the other female Gym leaders(see Aloe#2 and Fuuro#6, and Kamitsure#4 to a lesser extent).

Overall this was my favorite Gym this region.

Also Homika had a great seiyuu(VActor).

zeno48

Zaker!
Question, is this the first time any gym leader has used only three pokemon while Ash used all of his six? It sounds interesting but if i was Ash i wouldn't have been happy since she gave him an advantage. He still has a long way to go.

Last edited:

Banana Knight Arthur

NEGATIVE MINUS
Quetion, is this the first time any gym leader has used only three pokemon while Ash used all of his six? It sounds interesting but if i was Ash i wouldn't have been happy since she gave him an advantage. He still has a long way to go.

She was having too easy of a time, with her prior 3 vs 3 matches.

Homika was looking to challenge herself, also she was EXTREMELY confident in her Pokemon's abilities, though def. not cocky.