• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rockruff and the Guardian Deity from the Ruins of Life (980)

dman_dustin

I don't really expect this to happen, but could I get a translation of the final scenes of the episode, when everyone is on the boat (right after Ash's Lycanroc howled before it transitioned to the boat scene), I want to know what was being said during the final moments of the episode.

I don't expect anything to satisfy my curiosity, but it wouldn't hurt.

DatsRight

Not a bad episode, felt there could have been a bit more emotionally, I did like the 'What am I becoming?' style breakdown Rockruff was having when it bit Ash again, but I felt more could have been done there, it looked like it was deciding to leave Ash's team so it wouldn't hurt them anymore, there could have been more heartbreak from that. I was hoping for a personal reconciliation with Rockruff and Rowlet in particular, especially since it was the guilt over that particular incident that seemed to chain off Rockruff running away.

Tapu Lele seems to be either a sadist, a nut, or just too dumb to get when to battle or heal or whatever, or maybe a bit of everything. Either way it's a giggling troll, just as the dex suggested. :p

The camaraderie between the team was rather cute, everyone using their best resources to find Rockruff. Also the first time I've seen Kukui annoyed with Ash after he's been missing all night, more father/son chemistry there.

The Lycanrocs being driven towards finding and helping Rockruff without their trainers commands is an intriguing touch, their interaction was brief but cute. Type Null confirmed, and seems to be a tortured soul.

Lycanroc Dusk is....okay. Not much character display so hard to give judgement, it is shown jovial in still playing with the others, though is definitely more reserved than before. I will say I'll miss Rockruff though, I kinda wish Akala had lasted longer or been placed a little later on so we'd got more of a full season of the little guy at least, he was quite loveable.

Minor note everyone, Ash climbed to find Rockruff, pretty good I might add. Some athleticism remains.

Zipper4242

Bewear is the most powerful being in the universe.
WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH TAPU LELE??
Whatever it is...

I LOVE IT!!!!!!! Giving the Tapus personality is one of the best things of SM imo.

No, but seriously, I think Lele is a bit... off in the head. I mean, that thing is just sitting there and giggling when Rockruff is getting hurt is unthinkable for anyone in that show who is (somewhat) sane.

And I love the drain kisses and how it just randomly goes from homicidal deity to healing kissy lovable benevolent Lele.

New special Greninja (without an amazing theme) Lycanroc evolution aside, this episode gets a 10/10 from me just from having Psycho Lele in it. I hope Bulu and Fini get as much personality as Koko and Lele did!

Navin

MALDREAD
Mal's Review - Sun&Moon Edition

Best species Kalos:

[IMG300]https://68.media.tumblr.com/a522b40ba6568333939db16f11b820af/tumblr_ouhw3dlBKS1qioqevo1_500.gif[/IMG300]

Pros:

* Gladion/Type-Null cameo

* Beautiful evolution sequence with the sunset, green light, OST, and the triumphant howling

* Teamwork of the Lycanrocs

* Orangepupper is going to be a favorite

Cons:

* I do believe Rowruff evolved a bit too early, especially since it's only a single-evolution species

Thoughts:

* Tapu Lele beating tf out of Rockruff; I guess it was for training

* Wtf this psychopath just thrashing Midnight form into the wall without even bothering to look why...

Solid evolution episode with the Rockruff behavior, species camaraderie, the uh...weird behavior of Tapu Lele, and uplifting evolution sequence

8/10

Last ten episodes ratings: 4.5/7.5/3/5.5/3/5/4/5.5/6/7.5
Average of episodes 21-30: 4.65/10
Average of episodes 11-20: 4.95/10
Average of episodes 1-10: 6.6/10

Last edited:

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
Olivia said Tapu was only "playing" but I dont know, its eyes were doing some crazy things. Or maybe the whole episode was part of the islands divine plan to have Rockruff evolve?

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Olivia said Tapu was only "playing" but I dont know, its eyes were doing some crazy things. Or maybe the whole episode was part of the islands divine plan to have Rockruff evolve?

Tapu Lele is a straight-up sadist according to its Pokedex entries so it "playing" isn't necessarily a good thing.

Vipsoccermaster

Great episode. Great to see Rockruff finally evolving into Dusk Lycanroc, with the presence of Midday Lycanroc and Midnight Lycanroc. The Green Flash phenomenon was good to see, but nothing new.

And seriously, Tapu Lele is really a psychopath. Even though it is keeping its traits as what the Pokédex entries for both versions said, you don't deserve to be the Island Guardian if you continue to be a psycho.

And now we are back to Melemele Island, with Rotom Dex and Professor Kukui having to research on Dusk Lycanroc.

TheWanderingMist

Great episode. Great to see Rockruff finally evolving into Dusk Lycanroc, with the presence of Midday Lycanroc and Midnight Lycanroc. The Green Flash phenomenon was good to see, but nothing new.

And seriously, Tapu Lele is really a psychopath. Even though it is keeping its traits as what the Pokédex entries for both versions said, you don't deserve to be the Island Guardian if you continue to be a psycho.

And now we are back to Melemele Island, with Rotom Dex and Professor Kukui having to research on Dusk Lycanroc.

Considering the only Tapu that doesn't have a negative entry is Tapu Fini, kinda seems like strength is the biggest requirement. Koko is fickle and picks fights, Lele is sadistic, and Bulu is lazy

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Hey, the dub actually edited the ending! Dusk Lycanroc is there! Bet the opening will stay the same until the end of time though.
I'm glad this episode got to be dubbed before Ultra SM was released, it keeps Ash's Dusk Lycanroc feeling special. This episode sealed Tapu Lele as my least favorite Tapu though, doesn't help I don't like its appearance but it was sadistic towards a puppy.
How Rockruff evolved was pretty awesome, especially having Olivia and Gladion's Lycanroc present.
We better see the Battle Royale and Totem Salazzle/Marowak later on though, it was insulting how few pieces of Akala Island were actually shown off. It and Ula'Ula are the biggest islands! I couldn't care less about Melemele.

9/10

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
WOW. Did NOT expect GLADION of all people to randomly appear in this episode out of nowhere.

EPIC!!!!

Vipsoccermaster

Hey, the dub actually edited the ending! Dusk Lycanroc is there! Bet the opening will stay the same until the end of time though.
Well, the ending/credits seems to be part of the episode just like Japan, so the credits are aligning just like it is there for here. The opening, however, is on its own by TPCi, so of course the opening will be the same throughout the time, until the next season begins with a new opening.

WOW. Did NOT expect GLADION of all people to randomly appear in this episode out of nowhere.

EPIC!!!!
And did you not notice Gladion had a Premier Ball? That is even more epic!

DatsRight

I'm glad this episode got to be dubbed before Ultra SM was released, it keeps Ash's Dusk Lycanroc feeling special. This episode sealed Tapu Lele as my least favorite Tapu though, doesn't help I don't like its appearance but it was sadistic towards a puppy.
How Rockruff evolved was pretty awesome, especially having Olivia and Gladion's Lycanroc present.
We better see the Battle Royale and Totem Salazzle/Marowak later on though, it was insulting how few pieces of Akala Island were actually shown off. It and Ula'Ula are the biggest islands! I couldn't care less about Melemele.

9/10

We'll see what happens when they get to the updated 'Alola' opening (right now we're still in the 'Pokemon Master' era which is just a clip show opening).

If not I suppose it's still an improvement over TPCI's usual (hell it's surprising we got the credits sequence at all instead of a black screen credits like previous series).

Out of curiosity how much music is kept?

Ultra Beast Lover

You know what would've made that part where Ash comes back in the morning even better, if he said, "Sorry, I'm used to just going off on my own when my Pokemon vanish at night." It would add some continuity, someone would react like, "What?!" And the plot would be the same.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Cons:

* I do believe Rowruff evolved a bit too early, especially since it's only a single-evolution

I'm pretty sure Gen VIII fall 2018, so...

Does the opening change in the original?

Well, the ending/credits seems to be part of the episode just like Japan, so the credits are aligning just like it is there for here. The opening, however, is on its own by TPCi, so of course the opening will be the same throughout the time, until the next season begins with a new opening.

And did you not notice Gladion had a Premier Ball? That is even more epic!

How on earth is that more Epic? It's just a type of Poké Ball. While it's epic, how on earth can it be epicer than the appearance of such a major character as GLADION whose next appearance I've been waiting for? I honestly wouldn't care if a Premier Ball never appeared in the anime

TheWanderingMist

I'm pretty sure Gen VIII fall 2018, so...

Does the opening change in the original?

How on earth is that more Epic? It's just a type of Poké Ball. While it's epic, how on earth can it be epicer than the appearance of such a major character as GLADION whose next appearance I've been waiting for? I honestly wouldn't care if a Premier Ball never appeared in the anime

I'm still going 2019 with Gen VIII

Yeah, they switch up some scenes and they had the very 1st theme for a little bit before switching back to alola.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I'm still going 2019 with Gen VIII

Yeah, they switch up some scenes and they had the very 1st theme for a little bit before switching back to alola.

Mesaze Pokémon Master???

Leonhart

Imagineer
I ended up appreciating Kapu-Tetefu's personality much more than I had expected, and I was happy that we saw Gladio again with his Type: Null, although it was a pity that he didn't see Satoshi and Lilie. Dusk Lugarugan looked good, but as an Iwanko fan, the evolution made me somewhat wistful.