• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Role Absorb (UU and below doubles)

bug pro

Pearl on Phone
Role Absorb (UU and below mostly doubles)

So, I haven't done a team for MONTHs now, felt I needed to. So, I looked through all pokemons to find someone to start whith. Not being an easy job, but I found my 'mon.
135.gif

Jolteon, quite a underdestimated poke in terms of usefullity. Sure, it has great Speed and Sp. Attack, but is fragile as h*ll. But, a new thing caught my eye; his abillity. Yeah, it sucks for him, but for somebody who actually can use it, it's bawass. Now how do you transfer it? Role Play.
And then an idea started to take place...

I am pretty proud of myself creating this strategy. Putting that into a team, and also letting everything synerge well wasn't easy. Yet, I somehow made an almost perfect synerged team, only double weakness being Ground and Flying. As every member has a Electric move, I don't think Fliers would come so eagerly. Many members also have a Ice move, for BoltBeam. And please mention this strategy too, as I need all help I can get whith providing the best ideas. Everything marked whith bold text is changes and/or ideas.
135.gif
036.gif
171.gif
475.gif
648.gif
107.gif
Team

135.gif

Jolteon @Focus Sash
Volt Absorb / Timid
Evs: 252hp 252spe 4satk
Discharge
Protect
Signal Beam / Shadow Ball / Hidden Power (Ice)
Signal Beam / Shadow Ball / Hidden Power (Ice)

Thure star supporter of the show. Basically, he Protects first, Clefable will then Role Play him (Checked it up on game mechanics, and protect dosen't nullify Role Play) , and Volt Absorb is transferred. That's pretty much his only job. He will then use Discharge, that Clef' will Mimic (hence the Sash). If he still survives, he's free to do some extra damage whith the filler moves, Signal Beam, Shadow ball, and eventually HP Ice (Need's opinions on that). He also might want to Heal Clefable whith Discharge. Evs are so it can survive longer (and as Volt Absorb gives 1/4 of their health, no Spa investement needed).

036.gif

Clefable @Leftovers
Bold / Magic Guard
Evs: 252 HP 252 satk 4def
Role Play
Mimic
Ice Beam
Moonlight

Aww, this is what'll kick you'r butts. Anyway, point of the first two moves was already explained at Jolteon, so I take the other parts. Ice Beam makes another Pseudo-BoltBeam version, but I also think Famethrover for eventuall 4x Fire 'mons. Ice Beam, seems like the better choice anyway. Moonlight is for just-in-case support, and in UU, there ain't so many weather changers.

171.gif

Lanturn @Leftovers
Volt Absorb / Bold
Evs: 252Hp 126def 130spdf
Aqua Ring
Discharge
Icy Wind
Scald

I have now checked, and Gamefreak thinks Lanturn is UU to. Anyway, back to team. My secondary (and last-resort) Volt Absorber. While now holding Leftovers, Aqua ring acts like a secondary Leftovers, so I can have two goodies at the same time. Discharge supports, and allow Clefable to Mimic if Jolteon went down. Icy Wind covers his weaknesses, and lowers speed on both enemies. Scald's burn effect isn't needed here, but I am not one to say no for extras.

475.gif

Gallade @Leftovers
Impish / Steadfast
Evs: 252hp 252atk 4def
Rock Slide
Drain Punch
Thunderpunch
Skill Swap

Now, some physicals were needed. Rock Slide hits bothe enemies, and buzzes of Flyers. Drain Punch is Gallade's best shot a recovering manually, so it's added. Thunderpunch helps Clefable (AGAIN). And Skill swap takes part in the strategy as well. He swaps ability whith Clef', and then Clef' role plays him. A example of indirect abillitytransfer.

648.gif

Meloetta @Muscle Band
Serene Grace / Jolly
Evs: 252Atk 252spe 4hp
Close Combat
Shadow Claw
Thunderbolt
Role Play

Did I mention this was for PO? No? Then, it is, and Melo' ain't Banned there. Close Combat is Close Combat, whith great power. Shadow Claw fullfills the Fight/Ghost combo, and also deals crits sometimes. Thunderbolt - yeah, i'm not telling you who it is for (by now, you should know that). And same goes for Role Play. I won't use Relic Song, as the Typing changes to Gallade's typing, and three Flying-weak won't do any good.

107.gif

Hitmonchan @Leftie's
Iron Fist / Adamant
252Atk 252hp 4spdf
Mach Punch
Ice Punch
Thunder Punch
Role Play

And in the end, a punchin' surprise. Mach Punch's STAB priority power gives respect, even for fliers. Thunder Punch hits the fliers who stay, and it also supports. Ice Punch makes another Pseudo-BoltBeam combo, as well as hitting Gligar and Torterra. Role Play is... Role play.

Now, give some comments about the strategy and the team, please!:)

Last edited:

Ilan

UU? are you sure melloetta is UU? also jolteon is he UU? or did he pass to OU I though he was OU ok nvm.

seems like a nice strategy for discharge spamming, but vulpix seems like a burden he doesn't seem to do so much, he support itself, clafairy and one of hitmonchan moves and can be used to ruin sandstorm that is around nowaday, but last time I checked dought was BL so you can't actually use him.

melloetta's thunderbolt get nerfed by it's the nature, I would suggest naive nature for more power (it's defences get lowered by close combat so they will be low anyway) if you want you can use relic song instead of shadow claw for boosting it's offence stats speed 128 speed and 128 attack is beastly and have STAB on it I think it will go to UBERS or OU when it's relased.

The others are fine pretty smart strategy you need 2 turns to set up clefable (I hope you are using him instead of clefairy).

pokemonjeff

interested trader
Prankster cottonee with Worry seed Womps this team. As does anything that can ko' both jolteon AND clefable in one go.

Don't get me wrong, its a solid team. I just think you need another volt absorb ability poke so that you don't get womped if jolteon and clef get ko'd

bug pro

Pearl on Phone
UU? are you sure melloetta is UU? also jolteon is he UU? or did he pass to OU I though he was OU ok nvm.

seems like a nice strategy for discharge spamming, but vulpix seems like a burden he doesn't seem to do so much, he support itself, clafairy and one of hitmonchan moves and can be used to ruin sandstorm that is around nowaday, but last time I checked dought was BL so you can't actually use him.

melloetta's thunderbolt get nerfed by it's the nature, I would suggest naive nature for more power (it's defences get lowered by close combat so they will be low anyway) if you want you can use relic song instead of shadow claw for boosting it's offence stats speed 128 speed and 128 attack is beastly and have STAB on it I think it will go to UBERS or OU when it's relased.

The others are fine pretty smart strategy you need 2 turns to set up clefable (I hope you are using him instead of clefairy).
Yeah, but that's sorta 2 out of 4 OU 'mons. Still, the majority is UU and below.
All those things Drought helps whith is all it needs to help whith. Most noteable: it lessens the amount of supporting waters who come in quick. That, and sandstorm/hailnerf.
And thanks, I ment Clefable all the time :rolleyes:...

Hmm... Have any idea of a Volt Absorber who synergies well whith the team?

Vandslaux

I don't know, but isn't Drought BL?

bug pro

Pearl on Phone
Last edited:

Soperman

The One and Only
Why Role Play on Hitmonchan? Why not keep Ice Punch, for ridiculous coverage against everything. Plus, Iron Fist boosts all of its moves, so why change it?

BTW Meloetta is DW UU (I think)

Anyway, i'm thinking Chinchou.

You mean Lanturn, right? Or eviolite Chinchou?
Neither work that well, just a heads up.

bug pro

Pearl on Phone
Why Role Play on Hitmonchan? Why not keep Ice Punch, for ridiculous coverage against everything. Plus, Iron Fist boosts all of its moves, so why change it?

BTW Meloetta is DW UU (I think)

You mean Lanturn, right? Or eviolite Chinchou?
Neither work that well, just a heads up.
Its a Just-In-Case support move. The strategy is based on it, and that's his only secure way of healing himself.
And Chinchou is the Just-In-Case Volt Absorbant. Or, the one you copy if Jolteon gets fainted.

Last edited:

pokemonjeff

interested trader
Woo! You took my advice! :D. Anyway. I think you chose the right person to replace. Vulpix was kinda pointless.

Also. Your chinchou is quite a nice set. I can't think of anything to change on it, Except maybe surf > scald, but then you have the problem of hurting your own pokes, so I might just stay scald.

However, isn't lanturn also UU and just better?

bug pro

Pearl on Phone
Woo! You took my advice! :D. Anyway. I think you chose the right person to replace. Vulpix was kinda pointless.

Also. Your chinchou is quite a nice set. I can't think of anything to change on it, Except maybe surf > scald, but then you have the problem of hurting your own pokes, so I might just stay scald.

However, isn't lanturn also UU and just better?
I don't really know. If so, i'll go for him. Yet, his unique typing makes him a good choice in OU.

And yes, thanks for that advice.:)

Edit: Gamefreak thinks he is UU. Small makeover.

Last edited:

bug pro

Pearl on Phone
'Ello peoples, I need your opinions on my new idea for Jolteon's moveset.

Swagga09

your melotta has a mixed set, but her nature lowers special attack.

your thunderbolt is gonna be weak as crap, especially with a measly base 77 AND hindering nature.

shadow_burnt

HEAD BUTT GO!
your melotta has a mixed set, but her nature lowers special attack.

your thunderbolt is gonna be weak as crap, especially with a measly base 77 AND hindering nature.

BUT, it's to heal a volt absorber, and if you read it that would always give you 1/4 health back.

bug pro

Pearl on Phone
*facepalm*

your right, my bad
Oh well, everyone can do wrong sometimes.:)

I think Hidden Power and Signal Beam will do good as filler moves on Jolteon, but Shadow Ball is stronger, so I don't really know which I should keep.

3.14kachu

2.72pic √(-1)nventor
I... I don't think this works as well as you think it does. Have you tested it out on PO?

Jolteon's Focus Sash won't help if both opposing pokemon attack it. I honestly think that Clefable will get KO'ed in the first round where it tries to Role Play Jolteon. In fact, none of your pokemon are bulky enough to pull off this strategy. They'll all just get swept before they even reap the benefits of Role Absorb.

You have to consider what the foe is doing while you're setting up this elaborate strategy. They could use stat-up moves or just sweep, and your strategy doesn't take either of those possibilities into account.

And then of course a single Ground type destroys your entire team.

Sorry, but this turned out to be a less applicable version of the Surf + Water Absorb strategy between Gastrodon and Jellicent. I really respect your creativity, though. I think you have the right way of thinking.

bug pro

Pearl on Phone
I... I don't think this works as well as you think it does. Have you tested it out on PO?

Jolteon's Focus Sash won't help if both opposing pokemon attack it. I honestly think that Clefable will get KO'ed in the first round where it tries to Role Play Jolteon. In fact, none of your pokemon are bulky enough to pull off this strategy. They'll all just get swept before they even reap the benefits of Role Absorb.

You have to consider what the foe is doing while you're setting up this elaborate strategy. They could use stat-up moves or just sweep, and your strategy doesn't take either of those possibilities into account.

And then of course a single Ground type destroys your entire team.

Sorry, but this turned out to be a less applicable version of the Surf + Water Absorb strategy between Gastrodon and Jellicent. I really respect your creativity, though. I think you have the right way of thinking.
Hmm... They can't K.O Jolteon the first turn, as that's when he uses protect. The only way breaking would be if they took Clefable first, and then Jolteon. But i'll try to fix this up on PO as soon as posible for more testing.
I usally goes whith the strategy of both attacking two different, and I asume they also would. It's a Jolteon in fact. Then, people usually let one attack him, which is all this team needs. Though the risk is still there...

Edit: I will eventually try an OU version, as you then also have access to a higher variety of poke's.

Last edited:

3.14kachu

2.72pic √(-1)nventor
When making a doubles team these days, go through the "what would I do if" checklist:

-the foes attack both of your pokemon with all-hitting moves
-the foes attack both of your pokemon with regular moves
-the foes concentrate their attacks on one of your pokemon
-the foes set up Trick Room
-the foes set up Tailwind
-the foes stat-up (Swords Dance, etc.)
-the foes use Terracotta, Bullet Sap, or Anger Breath

Your strategy is generally good, but it only focuses on the first and second possibilities.

I recommend Manectric instead of Jolteon. Your pokemon are generally fragile, so the offensive boost from Lightningrod will probably help you more than Volt Absorb anyway.

bug pro

Pearl on Phone
When making a doubles team these days, go through the "what would I do if" checklist:

-the foes attack both of your pokemon with all-hitting moves Jolt' survives, and eventually, Clefable does so too. She'll still get healed in the next turn, if no priority moves are used.
-the foes attack both of your pokemon with regular moves Both probable survive.
-the foes concentrate their attacks on one of your pokemon If jolt', i'm okay, if Clef' I mayby won't be.
-the foes set up Trick Room Problem for Jolt'. But Clef' handles it.
-the foes set up Tailwind If jolteon still manage to outspeed, i'm okay.
-the foes stat-up (Swords Dance, etc.) Depends on how they'll attack.
-the foes use Terracotta, Bullet Sap, or Anger Breath Clef' do have a problem whith that...

Your strategy is generally good, but it only focuses on the first and second possibilities.

I recommend Manectric instead of Jolteon. Your pokemon are generally fragile, so the offensive boost from Lightningrod will probably help you more than Volt Absorb anyway.
Well, the strategy is "Role Absorb", so I think i'll stay whith it. It would have more use in OU, were all defensive guys are. I'll make up a team for that.
And answers are in Bold, but TerraCotta doesn't work so well in UU.

3.14kachu

2.72pic √(-1)nventor
Well, the strategy is "Role Absorb", so I think i'll stay whith it. It would have more use in OU, were all defensive guys are. I'll make up a team for that.
And answers are in Bold, but TerraCotta doesn't work so well in UU.

Right, I know. I was just putting up a general rule.

My only comment is that Jolteon will never outspeed a Tailwind strategy. Usually, this will come from a Tornadus, in which case you are in serious trouble.

Oh, also, if you're moving up to OU, try out Gastrodon or Gliscor, which pair well with your strategy by being immune to Discharge.