• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Romeo x Juliet General Discussion

~Mist~

revolutionary~
Seriously, I can't believe there isn't a thread about this anime.

Hello, and welcome to the Romeo x Juliet General Discussion! Feel free to post anything regarding the anime. Remember to respect one another, and basically follow SPPf rules.

So, are there any fans?

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
I tried watching it and it started out well. Although it slowed down a bit too much. I stopped at about episode 13. I may be bored enough one day to finish it though.

Spookz

Lumos
I've only seen one episode, so maybe I shouldn't be judging quite yet.. But really, this is hardly similar to Shakespeare's true story. The similarities are there, but they're only slight, and the differences are so great I can't find myself even trying to like this. :/ The story itself seems okay, but they might as well have just created new names for the characters and called it original.

Asrialys

I've only seen one episode, so maybe I shouldn't be judging quite yet.. But really, this is hardly similar to Shakespeare's true story. The similarities are there, but they're only slight, and the differences are so great I can't find myself even trying to like this. :/ The story itself seems okay, but they might as well have just created new names for the characters and called it original.
Fairly certain they never intended to animate the play itself...

~Mist~

revolutionary~
Oh, it's great to see some people who are fans! I'm glad I'm not the only one. xD

If any of you want to watch the episodes, there's a place called Crunchy Roll that has them. Search that site up, and you're off to go.

So, now I bring you screenshots from episode one. My god, I got addicted to this anime. xD

31.jpg

Odin [or rather, the Red Whirlwind] beating the heck outta guards who threatened to take a girl mistaken for being the Capulet girl.

30.jpg

Benvolio and Romeo [who's giving the 'what heppened' look] who watch the Red Whirlwind and Cordelia run away form the guards.

111.jpg

What do you know? Romeo saves her, I mean, him.

107.jpg

Odin wasn't so thankful after Romeo saved them, so afterwards, he gets into trouble when they arrive home to Conrad.

106.jpg

Yeah, Odin/Red Whirlwind is also Juliet.

104.jpg

In the meantime, Montague introduces Romeo to Hermione [who is a shy yet, polite girl], but he has a little surprise for them later on.

100.jpg

After Emilia convinces her to attend the Rose Ball [but only ends up as Juliet going due to a little mistake]. Juliet then begins to recall memories of the past upon reaching the ballroom, and then runs off to the fountain.

84.jpg

Eh? It looks like that she's seeing someone...

81.jpg

Oh, would you look at that? It's Romeo!

35.jpg

How adorable! Gotta love their expressions. xD

18.jpg

Trust me, you gotta see this scene. It's way too romantic.

96.jpg

Romeo asks her whether she likes the iris flower, and Juliet shyly nods. Then, he asks her what is her name, and she stutters to tell him.

95.jpg

Aw, blast it. She ran away.

93.jpg

Which leads to Juliet being stopped by the guards...

94.jpg

... Until Francisco and Curio come by! Oh, thank goodness for them. xD

92.jpg

They ask why was she there, especially that the Rose Ball is hosted by the Montagues.

91.jpg

Juliet then asks why does she have to dress up as a boy while they reply that she'll get her answers on her sixteenth birthday [which is tomorrow].

1.jpg

On that very night, she finds out that she is the sole survivor of the Capulet house, and how her parents died.

56.jpg

The truth struck hard. I don't blame her. I'd get the same way if I were to suddenly find out.

So, that's the end of episode one. Eh, the codes aren't working right, but you can still see the screenshots, I hope. ^^; Hope you all enjoyed the screenshots and the captions. I have plenty more where that came from, trust me. xD

Spookz

Lumos
Fairly certain they never intended to animate the play itself...
In the beginning credits it reads something along the lines of "Story credit to William Shakespeare." But what the hell do I know, I'm just a silly thespian. I'm done. :D

HK

Radiance of Shadows
In the beginning credits it reads something along the lines of "Story credit to William Shakespeare."

They didn't even spell his name right for the first few episodes.

HK

Radiance of Shadows
It sometimes surprises me how there are good-quality shows that still don't bother spelling things correctly in English, or even use decent grammar.

Well, that would be implying that Romeo x Juliet is actually good. What I watched and hearsay from those whose tastes I trust indicate that it's not.

Kaizer

A Shadow of Darkness
I like Romeo x Juliet well enough. I've certainly seen better, but it's really not all that bad. It's all but departed from the play by now (I've seen up to ep. 21) and Montague is quite possible the worst villian I've ever seen done. And I don't mean that in a good way- his motives are purely nonsensical and based in the realms of insanity. They tried to do some background for why he's so messed up, but the transition from orphan to Grand Duke isn't really clear. Nor is his reason for being so tyrannical if you consider that he was once no better off than the people he oppresses.

The action's only meh, the villians terrible, and the romance could be better done, but it is a 'fun' story to watch. There's, for the most part, acceptable character growth and it remains a pretty light-hearted adventure for the most part.

So while that really kills the plot, it isn't so bad. Watching both Romeo and Juliet grow more independent has been decent entertainment as well.

So I like RxJ, but it's probably not something I'll rewatch except for a possible marathon so that I can get a better picture. Maybe on the level as a B-movie, but in this case an anime.

Ok, maybe that didn't make any sense, but whatever. My point is, it's not amazing, but I've certainly seen worse.

~Mist~

revolutionary~
I guess there's a wide set of opinions out there. That's always good to see. ^^

Since we're on the topic of dislike, what characters can you not withstand?

I have to argee with Kaizer about Montague. At this point, I'm hoping that someone will go kill Montague. It kind of annoys me to see him killing for no reason. Since neither Romeo or even Juliet have the will to do so, which makes me wonder what's going to happen to him. Hermione's another character who I dislike greatly. She seems all kind and sweet at the beginning but ends up being a character who is... bleh. You'll have to see her for yourself, trust me.

LittleRedRodeo

Candy Apple Red
I've only seen the first ep. but I don't think it's that bad. Seeing from what I've read though, it seems the anime has more problems in the future, but I won't let that bother me. I haven't watched any animes for fun in a long time. And most animes tend to degenerate the longer they run anyway. That being said, my expectations for RxJ are low to begin with XD
My biggest complaints are 1) the portrayal of William (is there an unwritten law in anime that men of the arts must be flaming? D: I mourn. ) and 2) the Crimson Wind. I'm fine with girls disguised as boys. I'm fine with vigilantes. But girls disguised as boys disguised as vigilantes? Too much!

Last edited:

HK

Radiance of Shadows
My biggest complaints are 1) the portrayal of William (is there an unwritten law in anime that men of the arts must be flaming? D: I mourn. )...

Willy is the only element that made Romeo x Juliet even watchable after the first couple episodes.

I'm gay for anime-Shakespeare.