• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Root Fossil or Claw Fossil?

Leonhart

Imagineer
While most players of R/S/E seem to have preferred Anopth (Anorith), I preferred Lilyla (Lileep), so naturally the Root Fossil was my favorite. I didn't like that we could only attain one of each Fossil in Ruby and Sapphire, however.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
While most players of R/S/E seem to have preferred Anopth (Anorith), I preferred Lilyla (Lileep), so naturally the Root Fossil was my favorite. I didn't like that we could only attain one of each Fossil in Ruby and Sapphire, however.

In Emerald you could get the Fossil you didn't choose after you defeated the Champion, however. It's really late in the game though, I think after you defeat Steven in that cave near Dewford Town.

Steven of Venus

From Another Planet
Cradily, because she digs hers roots deep into the ground, can recover, kind of like Synthia's Milotic using aqua ring, ingrain. And being Meganium like, with those pink neck feathers makes things more pleasant and sweet.

Armaldo is just kind of like a soldier, a warrior, the strong and silent type, very reliable yes, but not too exciting.

Bananarama

The light is coming
I tend to pick the Claw Fossil because I prefer Anorith and its design. I also thought it was pretty cool how there was a Bug-type fossil Pokemon, so I liked the novelty of that.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I would have picked the Claw Fossil because Armaldo looked cooler than Cradily in my opinion. And I also liked its move variety and its high Attack stat, too.

Leonhart

Imagineer
In Emerald you could get the Fossil you didn't choose after you defeated the Champion, however. It's really late in the game though, I think after you defeat Steven in that cave near Dewford Town.

I know about getting the two Fossils in Emerald; I was talking specifically about the limitation in Ruby and Sapphire, which made getting both Anopth (Anorith) and Lilyla (Lileep) difficult. And we never battle Daigo (Steven) near Muro Town (Dewford) in R/S/E.

Manchee

extra toasty
As a kid, I picked the Root Fossil/Lileep all the way. Cradily is so cool! I was shocked when I saw that the weird purple flower because this boss green monster. Anorith and Armaldo were a lot simpler, in my opinion. Last time I played through Sapphire, though, I did choose the Claw Fossil just to try out something different.

reedcollins

ReginaRegina
I chose the claw fossil the first time I ever played sapphire, but I was too young to really understand how to restore the fossil until a couple of months later and by the time I did I didn't have the patience to evolve Anorith into Armaldo. When I got alpha sapphire I went with the root fossil and actually got a Cradily and really loved battling with it. So i'd have to go with Cradily and the root fossil!

Leonhart

Imagineer
raichu27 said:
Root Fossil, because of its unique typing. :p

Lilyla's (Lileep) unique type combination notwithstanding, the species just wasn't my cup of tea since it seems more defense based than its counterpart, which makes it less appealing in general from what I've seen.

Saberu

I never cared much about fossils until I played gen 6 competitively... I had a cradily set that could make you cry.

So now I almost always choose root fossil, just out of fondness for my competitive MVP.

(And sometimes anorith, just to shake things up.)