• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Roots // PG-13

Mrs. Lovett

Rolling writer
Hey there! I'm delighted to have you reading, and I hope you stick around the Fan Fiction forum!

As of now, there's no way Bertha can tell that Michael's trainer card is fake. It looks just like a valid trainer card and has its own number, which allowed past Gyms to keep record of him, use basic number-out-of-the-hat methods to assign him battle partners, and stuff like that. But the important thing to note is that the Gyms can't check the database of registered trainer card numbers to confirm that Michael is indeed a legitimate trainer, because that requires massive computer rooms, and long searches to check just one batch of incoming trainers. Naturally, Gyms don't have the time or the space for that, so to a certain extent they have to trust that all their trainers are legal trainers. Unless they do something reckless like show up with a homemade laminate with a school photo taped on.

I don't want to say too much about this, because Michael's trainer card is a card I'm going to keep close to my chest for now. (Haha, get it? xP) All I'm going to say is that Michael has been lucky so far. Not particularly aware or concerned, but lucky.

As for the chart, it isn't illegal in and of itself because, as you pointed out, it's a matter of individual strategy. The League obviously can't stop a trainer from cataloging type combinations for themselves if they choose. But what is illegal is what Michael has been doing with it. He's been getting information about Gym leaders' teams and using the chart to devise formulas for beating them, which can technically be shared with any other trainer. Regardless of how many people he's shared the information with (which isn't many), Bertha wouldn't think twice about confiscating something used for that purpose.

I wasn't too clear on this point in the beginning of the story, because to be honest, I had a different perspective on the issue of type advantages when I was starting out. Unfortunately, there's a lot of residue from my old mentality left in the earlier chapters, which is why I'm working on revising them. (While we're on the subject, I've finished revising Chapters 0.1 - 0.3, so those are in their final forms. For those who haven't noticed, I hope you'll check them out!)

As for Chapter 42, I'm still working on it. Your wish will be granted -- Ted and Lona will make an appearance; all I have to do is turn a scene outline into an actual scene. :p I'm hoping to get it up before the end of May and finally end my streak of one-a-month chapters.

With all that said, welcome aboard the PM list, and thanks for the review!

Vaporeon33

Oh okay I didn't know how that was checked and all but that makes sense...however if Bertha heard the news about the fake ID shop being closed down she might get suspicious and try to find out. I can tell that she would be a character to do that.

I'm excited to see how you play that card (cheesy pun -check!) in this fanfic

Oh okay....I guess I can understand how that may be illegal but I think Bertha overreacted a bit. She should keep a closer eye on them but she is completely restricting them from doing anything....poor Shella must be so confused...

I'll make sure to check out the updated chapters as well! How many chapters do you think there will be?

Awesome! I'm looking forwards to seeing some more Roots for sure!

Thank you for that warm welcome!

-Vaporeon33

Mrs. Lovett

Rolling writer
Though I have the rest of the story planned pretty much chapter-by-chapter, I can't tell you how many there will be, because that would imply certain things about the ending. But I will say that we've passed the halfway point, numberwise.

A while ago, I really wanted to finish Roots by the end of this year, but now I know that that's too ambitious a goal, considering my writing speed. I'm not going to rush the chapters just to meet a deadline, of course, but I still want to devise a strategy to avoid those several-month-long pauses I have a habit of sinking into.

I won't edit all the chapters, by the way. I'll probably stop somewhere in the twenties, since by then I was already writing with a mentality similar to my current one.

You'll get to see Shella's reaction to Bertha's little arrangement in the coming chapters. An unfortunate side-effect of splitting up Michael and Henry is splitting up her and Bertha too, after all. :p

I also forgot to mention that I think it's great that you were inspired to write your own story! I'll definitely check it out when you get around to posting it. :)

Vaporeon33

Awesome! That makes sense...I guess I'll keep working then. I have the general idea in mind but it might take a while to put it all together and plan the plot out so it doesn't take as long as the first one will be...I'll be sure to mention when it's posted and I hope to see a chapter in the near future!!

Zbger

Fiery Blaze Lucario
Hi! It's a me, a Zbger, Zbger, ZBGERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Now for the reviews (which is actually not a review but a outlook on the chpter):

Your putting of the chapter is great. I can even barely hear their voices :p I like your idea of putting Crasher Wake there as a child, and interacting with him (or is it really Crasher Wake? Pls notify meh) I also like how you switched Wattson and that gym leader. I'm expecting to have the battle next chapter.
Oh yeah, about that trainer card,
Is someone ging to inform him? Or he will find out soon?

In the meantime, wynaut have a drink?

(Gives a Wynaut and a drink)

Mrs. Lovett

Rolling writer
Your putting of the chapter is great. I can even barely hear their voices :p
I'm not sure what you mean here. Are you saying that the way I wrote the action was good enough for you to hear the characters speak in your head? If so, I'm glad my work paid off! If not, please point me in the right direction. :p

And yes, Wake is the future Crasher Wake. We'll be seeing him again.

The battle isn't going to be next chapter, unfortunately, as Michael still has training to do, and a bunch of other adventures he could get into along the way. (And besides, we still have to check back in with Nancy.) As for the trainer card, there's no one who can inform him, since no one knows. Apart from the man in Hearthome who gave it to him, but he probably doesn't even remember Michael. So Michael is in the clear, for now...

Thanks for the review!

P.S. I'm almost done with Chapter 42. I'm expecting it to be at most a week before I post it. Stay tuned!

Mrs. Lovett

Rolling writer
Said I'd take seven days and I took seven days. xP Hope you enjoy!

The morning after his interview with the Solaceon Gym leader, Sylvester Bode took a drive around the town, checking all the League-related buildings before leaving. He had reported to the Jubilife PD that he would be in Pastoria within a day, though now, in the back of his mind, he wondered if he would find anything there at all.

Judging by the current pattern, Michael Rowan was a swift and efficient traveler. He had swept through four Gyms in little over a month, and by now, could be two, even three steps ahead of him. For the first time, Bode, with his car, resources, and contacts, was finding himself outmatched by a kid on foot. And he didn’t like the feeling it was giving him. While he drove circles around blocks and barged into pokémon obedience classes, Michael could have been departing for his next city that very minute.

Unfortunately, Solaceon was full-to-bursting with League-related facilities, some of which weren’t labeled with the pokéball logo at all. Aside from the Pokémon Center and Pokémart, there were dozens of other buildings and streets where trainers crowded, which would force Bode to swerve from the main road and writhe around for a parking spot. He found a Daycare Center wedged between two barnhouses, some specialty item stores dotted along a shopping street, and a tour center offering sightseeing events. These places were blended so well with the rest of the town that, for someone who didn’t know any better, the whole place might as well have been one big trainer theme-park.

But the longer Bode observed the trainer lifestyle, the more he grew aware of one important fact: The League kids operated entirely within their own world. Wherever they went, they were always either with other trainers or by themselves, and treated the average townsfolk as if they existed in a separate dimension. Every town had facilities that catered to trainers’ needs, so they never had to guess, or stray too far from familiar places to find help. This was likely why they could travel so fast through the Gym towns.

By the time Bode drove onto the highway leading out of Solaceon, he’d resolved that he needed a change of tactics. If Michael Rowan had been in the League for this long, he had doubtlessly immersed himself in trainer culture, and learned to do things exactly like the other trainers did. So, in order to pursue him, Bode would have to do the same.

He reached the first exit to Pastoria City a little past noon, but once he turned to leave the highway, he was stopped by a large traffic jam. Up ahead was a seamless river of shiny-backed cars, which curved with the road and trailed all the way into the city. The other exits up ahead were in a similar condition.

Bode dropped an arm from the steering wheel and let out an angry breath. He turned on the radio to see what the fuss was about, and learned that the city was experiencing an enormous influx of travelers. With the Sunyshore protest only ten days away, many other Sinnoh cities had decided to take up the flame and broadcast events of their own, telling their side of the Galactic story. For a full two hours, Bode listened to the Pastoria stations babble about a multi-themed festival that would be taking place during the protest, where civilians would be able to watch the proceedings in Sunyshore and shout their own messages for the world to hear. All the while, he inched his way down the road in a rhythmic sequence of starts and stops.

“… and we’re doing to be seeing a higher-than-usual concentration of people, so traffic could get heavy, especially around midday…”

“… for the benefit of the city’s trainers, the Pastoria Trainer Museum will be holding a small tournament the day prior, giving five lucky winners a chance to speak with the press…”

“… to which Marie Wickham, leader of the Pastoria Gym, had this to say…”

Bode’s head snapped up. He tightened his grip on the steering wheel and looked around, making sure the other cars were still standing. Then he tuned back into the radio, just as the recording of a woman’s voice came on, giving a commentary about something that was going on downtown. When the recording ended, the announcer’s voice returned, but by then Bode’s mind was spinning a thread of its own. He already knew the Gym leader’s name. If anything, that was a start.

But it proved to be the only good sign that whole day. Even beyond the traffic blocks, Pastoria City was crowded and chaotic, at a magnitude that far overwhelmed Jubilife’s. His only option was to get a hotel and a map, since zipping through the roadways would be a perilous waste of time.

Bode learned that the majority of Pastoria’s trainer attractions, including the Gym, were located in a square all the way on the eastern side of the city. So he parked his car in a public garage, paid for several days in advance, and took the subway to the Trainer Plaza.

There he found the Gym, the Pokémon Center, and every imaginable trainer necessity laid out before him like a gift from the heavens. Bode let out a breath and quickened his pace towards the Gym, nearly breaking into a run by the time he reached its doors. But upon entering, he found that the management was in shambles. The Gym Leader was downtown, and all the attendants were busy with a group of townsfolk, which was so big that it nearly crowded the trainers out of the lobby. The visitors were trying to get tickets to a private showing of the GASP protest, which would take place in the Gym and would only be open to a select number of people.

For sheer lack of standing room, Bode squeezed his way through to a side lounge and sat down at a chair, where he waited almost an hour for the crowd to clear. Once enough people had left, he entered the lobby again and locked eyes with the first available staff member he saw, a woman with poofy brown hair. He hailed her with a raised hand.

“Excuse me! Do you have a moment?”

The woman pursed her lips nervously, but approached. “Sir, if you’re here for the tickets, you’ll have to get in line. I can’t help you any other way, I’m sorry.”

“It’s fine, I’m not here for the tickets. I’m here on behalf of the Jubilife City PD, looking for a boy named Michael Rowan.” Bode flashed his badge. “He is disguising himself as a pokémon trainer, and I need to see the records for this Gym to see if he’s passed through here.”

The woman’s face brightened. “Records? Sure! Just follow me.” She led him through a door behind the counter, which revealed a back room filled with file cabinets. She opened a drawer of clipboards and began to search through it, biting her lip. “Um, which week do you want, specifically?”

“Anything after June 28th.”

“Gotcha.” The woman read off the tabs on the dividers, which were labeled with dates, and pulled out three clipboards. She searched through them one by one, then shrugged. “Sorry, there hasn’t been a Michael Rowan here yet.”

Bode’s eyes flashed. “Thank you.”

He left the Gym at a lively pace, lips spreading into a smile. Taking a look around the crowd that populated the plaza, he saw a seemingly endless array of faces and colors. Some kids looked like they had just come out of elementary school, and others were nearly in their teens. They all walked around with varying emotions, varying styles, together giving off an almost wordless cloud of noise.

Bode’s next stop was the Trainer Hotel, where after a long negotiation with the staff, he was allowed a single-bed room that was usually reserved for overflow. He asked whether Michael had checked in yet, and the clerk replied with a nod.

“Yes,” he said, showing Bode a clipboard. “June 29th.”

Bode nodded and thanked him.

He proceeded to his room, noting passing trainers in anticipation, as if Michael could appear from a side hallway at any moment. But Bode would move slowly. He would start by alerting a few select individuals —Pokémon Center nurses, hotel staff, store vendors — and spin around Michael a web of eyes. Then he’d tighten the strings, and get the boy in custody before he took a single step into the battle room.

//////

Meanwhile, just a short train ride away, the town of Solaceon was in its midday swing. The streets were bustling with cars and wagons, and the clock tower in the main plaza had just struck one.

Directly behind it stood the city hall, a building resembling an overinflated house. It was decorated by a colorful garden and had a large, welcoming porch, but it was the most modernized place in the city, with a computerized database and slick steel doors protecting the archives. All of these things made a positive impression on Nancy Bryan when she arrived, but the more time she spent inside, the more she felt the tiny rooms close in on her, and the text of the documents blur into one big pool of nothing.

Determining a company’s existence was hard enough in itself. The collection of officially-registered companies was stored in the government database in Snowpoint, which had the fastest computer system in Sinnoh, but the amount of information was so vast that it would still take many hours to sift through it all. On top of that, getting access to the archive could take months, so for most people, the only option was to manually search through government-published registry books. Those could be found in any official library, and classified registered companies by their type of service. Sixteen volumes were published annually, one for each district of Sinnoh, and if a city was well-connected, it would also have a supply of manuals from districts nearby.

But Solaceon’s collection was far from extensive, and its specialty was far from hardware.

Nancy sat for what felt like days at the desk in the record room, scanning through the lists of the Solaceon district, while Ned shuffled through boxes behind her, trying to locate the other ones. In the meantime, Tom and Bobby were at the press office, where they were restarting the previous day’s search, this time focusing on finding Briney. She, the smart one, had volunteered to go to the city hall that morning, where she thought she’d be able to finish the search within an hour. Five of them had passed.

The only solid information she and Ned had been able to gather was that hardware companies had to have suppliers, who provided the plastic, the metals, and the wires from which they’d build their machines. There was only a small number of them in East and West Sinnoh, so the teammates switched tactics, calling major suppliers in the East and asking if any of them did business with Briney Limited. But after talking with eight companies, no one had so much as mentioned Briney’s name.

Towards four o’clock, their brains were fried, and distant objects in Nancy’s vision had become smudged. They both called it quits and went to a café across the street, where they sat for a well-deserved meal.

After rushing through their food for a while, they both recharged enough of themselves to make eye contact again, and settled back.

Ned gave a sigh. “Well, that was brutal. And those were only the major suppliers in the East. Technically we still have to check the small ones, and all the others over in the West. That is, assuming Briney isn’t one of those super-integrated companies that are their own suppliers.”

Nancy pressed her hands to her forehead and shook her head. “That’s too much. We can’t possibly pin down every single supplier in Sinnoh. Either we’re doing something wrong, or this job needs more work than we can put into it. Personally, I think it’s the second.”

Ned nodded. “We’ll be in a better environment when we get to Sunyshore. It’s one of the biggest cities in the country. They’ll be bound to have more resources.”

Nancy let out a breath. “Yeah, I know what you mean. It’s way too pokémon-themed here, for one thing. I honestly didn’t believe that guy when he said that three of the back rooms were for League documents, but now I do. I guess people here are just focused on different things.” She began to play with her napkin, crumpling it then tugging it out by the corners. Then, she looked up. “But so are we, you know. Our first goal should be getting a story. It would be nice to uncover a Galactic fraud along the way, but we can always go back to that once we’re back in our office in Jubilife.”

Ned gave a shrug. “I’m just thinking of ways of convincing Tom to leave, instead of staying another day.”

He gave a smile, and Nancy chuckled, albeit tiredly.

Once they were done eating, they set off for the press office, where they had agreed to meet at the end of the day. The crowd had cleared for the afternoon, leaving the parking lot empty, and the building quiet and calm. The only other people there were a man and woman, idly browsing the racks of newspapers that hung from the walls.

“I wonder if Tom and Bobby got anything,” Ned whispered.

“If we couldn’t get anything in a city archive? Probably not much,” Nancy replied.

Still, for a tiny press office, they were taking a long time. She and Ned checked the inner rooms, but they were either locked or empty, so they went back to the lobby and waited.

Nancy turned her eyes to the collection of newspapers, which held the usual supply of tabloids, mixed with respectable papers like Sinnoh Post and The Hearthome Times. A variety of other issues were meant for special audiences, like knitters or breeders. Up above, the walls were lined with framed articles that marked historic events, both on a community and national scale. The last frame in the row held the article from Sinnoh Post that had announced the GASP unification. Beneath it was a brass carving: June 30th, 1963. Nancy smiled to herself.

Nearby, the couple was also moving along the display, talking in sparse, hushed voices. The woman was reading the framed articles and the man was searching for something among the racks, fingers skimming over the issues.

“It should be around here somewhere…” he murmured. Finally, he stopped and pulled out an issue. “Ah. Here.”

He smiled and handed the woman a copy of The Hearthome Times. “Item Evolution, by Michael Rowan.”

Nancy felt a tiny jolt, and turned ever so slightly on her heel to take a look at them. The woman had begun to read the article, lifting her eyebrows. “Huh. That’s interesting…”

“I saw it a while after he left,” the man said. “I had the issue lying around, but that was the first time I noticed what he wrote. I was really surprised. I knew about the Pikachu experiment, but I never thought there was a connection between that and moonstones.”

“The funny thing is, I knew some trainers who talked about items that could evolve pokémon,” the woman said. “Back then, it seemed like a complete mystery. And no one could ever tell which pokémon they worked on.”

The man pursed his lips in admonishment. “I wish I’d noticed it earlier. I could’ve asked the boys about it. His friend had a Clefable, so I think they definitely got their hands on a moonstone at one point. But where did they find it? They couldn’t have picked it up on the ground, and the closest mountains are the Coronets.”

The woman smiled. “Everyone liked to say that moonstones came from outer space. But apparently they’re named after Mt. Moon in Kanto… That’s one of the few places Clefables are found in the wild.” She took a few more moments to read, and when she finished, she lowered the paper. “You know, I think I’ll read up on this. It’s a shame you didn’t get to talk to him about it, but I can tell this is just the beginning. He might even write more, someday.”

“I hope he does,” the man said. “I guess I just didn’t expect the papers to put articles about pokémon training in the Arts and Recreation section.”

At that point, Nancy smiled, and turned to face them fully. “Well, you see, The Hearthome Times doesn’t have a section dedicated to pokémon training. It has one for League news, but that’s news on an organizational level, not stuff written by independent trainers. In fact, big papers hardly ever get submissions like those, so it took a good bit of convincing to get them to feature it. I tried to get it to Sinnoh Post too, but I guess putting something like that on the biggest paper in the country was a bit of a stretch. But small steps pave the way for bigger ones.”

The couple stared at her in surprise.

“Are you saying… you published this?” asked the man.

“Yep.” Nancy pointed to herself and Ned. “Our team did.”

The man looked at them, and his face spread into a grin. “Well if that ain’t the biggest coincidence in the world. I’m Ted.” He extended a hand, and shook with both of them.

“We’re reporters from Jubilife,” Nancy explained. “We’re on the hunt for stories, so we’re on the move a lot.”

Ted’s eyes widened in surprise. “Jubilife? Wow. You’ve come a long way. I haven’t been to West Sinnoh in years.”

“Do you know Michael too?”

“I did, for a little while. He and his friend came to me for move tutoring help.”

“Which they then used to beat my Gym,” said the lady, with a smile.

“Oh, so you’re a leader?” Nancy said.

The woman nodded. “I’m Lona. Pleased to meet you.”

She and Nancy shook hands.

“So how did you meet Michael?” asked Ted.

“He saw us at a park in Hearthome,” Nancy replied. “He thought our pokémon were interesting, so he came to talk to us. They’re from Hoenn, see. We told him we were reporters, and he told us a little about how he was doing in the League. Then a few days later, Michael found out something really exciting about moonstones, and wanted to write something for the papers. Well, and he remembered us.”

“I guess good luck works both ways,” said Ned.

Ted gave a smile. “That it does.”

Before anybody else could speak, there was a loud bang and a creak of swinging doors. All four of them jumped, whirling around towards the front entrance as two figures stumbled inside. It was Tom and Bobby, both of them red and out of breath.

“There you are!” huffed Tom. “We’ve been looking all over for you!”

“You? We thought you were in the back the whole time!” said Ned.

Bobby shook his head. “No, we left this place hours ago. We were in town. We would have taken you with us, but we figured it would be faster if we went right away, and we didn’t want to pull you guys out of your work in case we didn’t get anything. But anyways, that’s not the point. You’ll never believe what we found!”

Nancy’s heart began to thump, and she and Ned took a few steps away from the couple. “What is it?”

“Briney Hardware Limited doesn’t exist!” Bobby said. “Or, at least, it did, but it now it doesn’t. It got merged with a company called TGC in 1948, and they pooled together their resources to start making advanced technology, like computers and navigation systems.”

“How did you find that out?”

“Newspapers!” Tom grinned. “They didn’t make their stuff in a secret lab room, Nancy, they sold it! They made the papers six times in the forties alone, because they were doing all kinds of stuff that no one else in Sinnoh did before. And you know what their most popular invention was? The pokéball. They took an old model that was used fifty years ago, and they refined it to make the pokéball we use today. They sold their design to the League, and that made headlines all over. There’s this magazine called Pokémon League Weekly that didn’t stop talking about it for five issues straight.”

He turned to Bobby, who pulled a magazine from a plastic bag and waved it around in front of them. “Did you guys know that Solaceon boasts the most extensive collection of PLW magazines of any Gym city? There’s a fan shop downtown that’s got shelves of these babies, all the way back to the ‘40s. Take a look.”

He opened the issue to a bookmarked page and handed it to Nancy. Her eyes found a paragraph that had been circled in red marker, then locked on an underlined name. She gasped. “There he is! Alfonso Helfer!”

“The problem was, we were looking for articles by Alfonso Helfer, not articles about Alfonso Helfer,” Tom said. “So we didn’t pay attention to what people were writing. Check this out.” He pointed over Nancy’s arm to a line marked with an asterisk. “‘Made with access to an unparalleled workforce as a result of their recent merging with Briney Hardware Limited!”

“There was one other article in a regular paper that mentioned the merge,” said Bobby. “So if Alfie started out working for Briney Hardware, then he ended up working for TGC.”

Nancy scanned the page, feeling excitement buzz inside of her. But after fizzing for a few moments, the spark faltered. “Okay… so we’ve proven that Alfonso Helfer works for TGC. But how does that connect him to Team Galactic?”

Bobby paused. “Well… that’s something we have to figure out.”

“The important thing is, we know that Briney Hardware exists,” said Tom.

Nancy’s shoulders drooped. “And thanks to that, we also know that TGC exists. So now we have to find out about that company too. That basically puts us back at square one, guys.”

“Hang on,” came a voice. Nancy turned, and saw that Lona was looking at them, frowning. “Did you say Alfonso Helfer?”

Nancy lifted her eyebrows. That lady had sharp ears. “Yes, why?”

Lona turned to Ted. “That journal you showed me. It had his name in it.”

Ted looked down as he thought something over, then snapped his head up. “Yes, you’re right!”

“What journal?” said Nancy.

Ted fell into another pause, and bit his lip. His gaze went from Lona to the team, then he gave a resigned sigh. “I’ll have to show you. Come on. We’ll all go to my house.”

Nancy exchanged a glance with her teammates, who made gestures of agreement. The five of them followed Ted out of the building and down the street, where he crossed several intersections and turned onto a path that led into a residential community. He navigated through rows of houses and mailboxes, finally turning into a driveway and climbing onto a porch. Once everyone had come up behind him, he unlocked the door.

“I collect journals,” he explained. “I’m doing a late spring cleaning, and I have this box that I got in a yard sale a long time ago. It’s filled with all kinds of articles about TGC and space, stuff that was probably taken from the public domain since the Space Program began.”

“Whoa,” said Bobby.

“Yeah. They’re my prize possessions. I brought a few to show Lona earlier, but I have a lot more.”

Ted led them into a cozy home library, in the final stages of being reorganized. The furniture was polished and cleared, and the shelves were filled with straight-standing spines. Lona and the news team lingered behind as he ventured into the sea of boxes on the floor. He peered into one of them and pulled it over to the center of the room, beckoning for everyone to come around.

“I never took this to anyone to have it verified,” Ted continued. “I was always afraid they’d take it away from me, or assume that I got it illegally. But I’ve read everything in here, and from what I know, all the journals and newspapers are authentic.” He reached inside and pulled out an article. “This is the one Lona was taking about.”

He handed it to Nancy, who read the title out loud: “Storage System Two.” Then, her gaze dropped to the second line. “That’s him! It’s Alfonso again!”

“But that’s not all,” said Ted. “The experiment they talk about here is the same experiment that led to the design of the modern pokéball. I have other papers in here that prove it. Those men have to be from TGC.”

Bobby frowned. “Not only that… but I think they have to be really important people in TGC, because their names are the only ones that the Weekly mentioned when it talked about the contract.”

Lona looked from Bobby to Ted. “And that pokéball experiment… Didn’t you say they applied celestial mechanics to the new capsule design? They got them to condense matter. That seems like they knew from the beginning that they would be drawing their inspiration from space.”

“They did.” Ted bent over the box. “In fact… that’s exactly what connects them to Team Galactic. The government started the space program just three years after TGC broke up. I heard that there was a scandal of some sort, but I didn’t follow it, and it never occurred to me to save any newspapers. It was only after I found all this that I learned what TGC was. They were a company that tried to apply space technology to everyday uses. And when the government started the space program, they said that Team Galactic would do the same thing. They wanted to prove to people that they weren’t just exploring space for the glamour, but to make people’s lives better too. They meant for Galactic to pick up from where TGC left off, but they didn’t explicitly say that Team Galactic was the same company.”

He took out a chunk of papers and looked through them, before handing a newspaper clipping to Nancy. It was a summary of the President’s speech in 1951, when he had announced the founding of Sinnoh’s space program, as well as that of the company that would be carrying it out.

“That’s probably why there was no scandal…” Nancy murmured. “Team Galactic used its policy of secrecy to keep from having to mention where it came from. They just absorbed the company and started on a fresh page.”

Ned nodded. “That makes sense. Their names sound similar. Team Galactic, The Galaxy Corps…”

“And if they inherited resources, they’d probably inherit workers too,” Bobby said. He read along with Nancy, skimmed down a few paragraphs, then reached to tap the paper. “Right here. They said that Team Galactic would be headed by experienced officials who were involved in technological innovations, like pokéball refinement. And who do we know that likes to refine pokéballs? TGC.”

Tom looked at the journal that lay atop the box. “And who’s the third name on the pokéball article, the guy who was sitting right next to Allan Knight in the press conference?” He looked up at them all. “Stephen Adams.”

Nancy’s eyes flashed. “So those people in the article were some of the top guys of TGC. And when TGC became Team Galactic… they must have kept their positions.”

Everyone in the room exchanged a glance.

“Alfonso’s no Galactic grunt,” Nancy said. “He’s one of the heads.”

Sike Saner

Peace to the Mountain
Mods: if this constitutes an unworthy bump, well. You know what to do.

Right then. Let's get right to my notes/reactions/terrible jokes, shall we?

"I caught Michael skipping class on Tuesday with two other boys. I went to look for them, and I found them in the playground, harassing a wild Stunky." Mrs. Maxwell fixed her gaze on Michael, who made a valiant effort not to look back. After bolting from school that previous day, neither he nor his friends had heard anything about their misconduct. Yet, when they walked into their first-period class, all three found a notice waiting on their desk, informing them that they were called in for a conference sometime during the week. Brendan and Cory were able to get theirs over with on Wednesday and Thursday, and wash the smell off of themselves and their clothes. As usual, Michael was the only one left waiting.

Glad they're not getting away with it, at least. I wonder whatever happened to the poor li'l stunky, though.

Patricia shook her head. "I don't know... he can be so reckless sometimes, that I just don't know... That Stunky... what if the same thing happens to his starter?"

Good question. I don't know if I'd even trust him with a dead magikarp, tbh. And not only because we've already seen what he does with phenomenally stinky ****.

"Sku sku!"

His train of thought was interrupted by a muffled screech. Michael sprang up.

Ah. That answers the "what about the stunky" question.

"That was a close one. You better keep quiet from now on, you little cretin. Hear me?" As he began to close the doors, the Stunky began to whimper. With a groan, Michael slid one open again and looked down at the pokémon.

"What now?"

raises hand

I vote for a reeking musk blast to young Mr. Rowan's face. Barring that, well. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested to see how this little **** ends up learning his lesson instead--assuming he does, seeing as he's destined to grow into rather less of a douchenozzle, heh.

After giving the Stunky's cage a good kick to remind it to keep quiet, Michael descended the stairs.

Oh, it can keep as quiet as you like. But stonks speak louder than words. :B

The walls were adorned with drawings of pokémon, all wearing cartoon-character smiles.

Sounds terrifying.

Each contained a different label - 'PIPLUP', 'TURTWIG', and 'CHIMCHAR' - scrawled in black marker.

Oh god, do not let your mom read that. She'll get caught in another loop for who knows how long.

Michael opened his stinging eyes, and found himself peering down at a runty Turtwig. It looked nothing like its drawing. Its skin was an aquamarine blue instead of the grass green it was painted with, and the sprout on its head was paler than the norm. Its shell was a light brown, and its eyes were yellow. They stared back.

Shiny?

SHINY???

A feeling of dread filled Michael's heart. "You mean... mine's defective?"

Michael Rowan, if you reset the game so help me I will--

Anyway. Thought it was interesting, and kinda neat, that shininess apparently isn't something people know about in that era.

When it saw him, it mewed again, this time louder.

Awww! :( Cute li'l thing...

"Bummer," Cory said slowly. "No, seriously, I feel your pain. But it's not all bad right? I mean, when I got my starter, my mom said that she was gonna force me to raise it too, but she never did anything. I haven't opened that pokéball in three years and I don't think she cares. My grades are more important to her."

throws a sock at Cory

Cory thought for a moment, then smiled. "Hey, I have an idea." He went back to the shelves and took down a second box. This one was larger, and was filled with glinting metal equipment.

"What's that for?"

"I read in the paper that a hospital was offering this new type of surgery. Debridisomething. We could try it on the Stunky."

"Nice." Michael smiled.

"But we don't even know what Debridi is," Brendan said. "What if we don't do it right and it dies?"

"So?" Cory said.

throws the other sock

and some shoes

and some more shoes

(my aim is dreadful; I need all the ammo I can get)

"Welcome back."

Michael jumped. At first he thought he was hearing things, but when he turned around, he saw that Patricia was seated at his desk. Her arms were folded in her lap, and her expression was perfectly calm. Michael's heart sank.

And I all but cheered aloud. :D

When she finally spoke, her voice wobbled. "Whatever you have going on in that head of yours, you better kick it out fast. For now, you're grounded. No phone. No television. No contact with those kids. You are not to set foot outside this house without my permission. That will give you some time to think about what you just said to me." Patricia left without another word. The door slammed loudly, but after that, the house was dead quiet. Even the Stunky had stopped whimpering. It was peering through the bars now, looking at Michael curiously.

Awww, Patricia no, don't leave the stunky alone with him...

But he was too weary to do anything about it.

Thank frick.

The next object he pulled out was an empty tissue box. Why haven't I thrown this out yet? He tossed this as well.

I had to chuckle because this bit just reminded me so much of my own thought processes last time I undertook some major cleaning.

Way to go, dad. Ever since you left, I've been stuck with an idiotic older brother and a mom who couldn't care less about me. Nothing’s the same without you. I don't know about them, but Michael and I miss you more than you can imagine. **** it, you were the best guy in the world. If you're watching me right now dad, I'm sorry. But I can't take it anymore. My entire life has been hell, and it's all because of mom and Brian. I've been trying to stick around for Michael’s sake (he reminds me of you sometimes, you know) but I don’t think I can handle much more. Mom's trying to turn both of us into Brian-clones, and she’s acting like the people we were when you were there should never have existed. So I'm gonna leave. I don't know if it’s right or wrong in her eyes and honestly I don't care. I just want things to be back to the way they were. Just you, me, and the little guy. I'll miss him too.

Awww... :(

Michael went to bed, hoping the tension would blow over like it had always done. But when he got up the next morning, he found that Richard's room was empty. No angry note. No farewell. Nothing. Patricia acted like she didn't notice. Brian made no comment either, but his gaze followed Michael throughout the entire day. When the time came for spring cleaning, Patricia hauled out the clutter from Richard’s loft and allowed Michael to move in from his bedroom downstairs, but under an unspoken condition. Michael was prohibited from mentioning his brother's name, or bringing up the subject of his disappearance. From now on, he only had one brother. Brian.

Well that's creepy as ****.

He realized what he had done a second too late.

The Stunky let out a screech of freedom, and tore across the room towards the door.

cheers inwardly again

Come on, you good-for-nothing buttface!

I was wondering if someone would make note of the fact that stunky basically has *** cheeks for a face.

The woman looked back up at him, arching her eyebrows. "Your pokémon looks awfully hungry, kid."

"I... well, yeah, I know, but that's not the—”

The woman rose to her full height, her face towering well above his. "That thing is all skin and bones. Are you sure it's okay?"

Michael nodded. "It's fine."

"It doesn't look too good. Were you gonna take it to a vet?"

Michael shook his head. "No, it's fine, really. So do you want me to pay? I mean, I can if you want me to, whatever."

The woman didn't seem to be hearing him. She looked at the Stunky, frowning.

I am really starting to like Ms. Bookstore.

As the pokémon turned, Michael observed the curvature of its cheeks

laughs like a child because stunky cheeks

A giant worm-thing made of rocks.

I think this might be my new favorite onix description.

Granted, I don't know if I had an old favorite, but yeah.

And now I think I should pause to commend you for having Lennon and linoone in the same chapter and not getting them mixed up at any point, because I can't promise I wouldn't have.

You are now picturing John Linoone.

1) Speak firmly and concisely, making eye contact with your pokémon.

Of course this just makes me wonder "what do" if you happen to have a zubat. Speak up a little louder, I guess?

Out from the second pokéball came what looked like a giant caterpillar, only its body was made entirely from boulders.

You are now picturing an onix with butterfly wings.

Regular-sized butterfly wings, because that's funnier.

A strip of blue metal with eyes emerged from the pokéball. At first Michael thought it was going to fall to the floor and shatter, but then the pokémon floated up and began to hover above their heads, casting little diamonds of light onto the walls.

Pretty!

"Well, you should get one. They're not too expensive, and they'll protect your badges from dust."

Whereas the tarnish that comes from neglecting your game card for months on end... yeah, you're on your own there.

The sky was colored the tired blue of a wasted day

Nice. I like that.

"Peck it, peck it!"

But the very best thing of all
There's a counter on this...
bird

"Hold your horses, kid." Bertha reached into her knapsack and took out several bills. Their green was the brightest of all. Michael was still trembling as he took them into his hands.

I can certainly relate to his appreciation of money.

It was locked as well, but when she pressed her ear against it, she heard faint sounds coming from the back.

Oh god, I read that as "fart sounds". Maybe I've been doing a little too much reading lately.

keeps reading anyway

“Not much,” Henry replied, flipping a page. Up close, Michael saw that the boy looked rather irritated, his mouth curled into a half-pout. Over the many days that they had traveled together, Michael had learned to recognize the Henry Face when he saw it, and crossed his arms.

THE HENRY FACE. XD I love it.

A brief smile shone through Henry’s gloom. “I don’t know… I think it’s cool. It's like one of those pumice stones that they find near volcanoes, only it's heavier. Want to see?” Henry proffered the stone.

...is that a moon stone?

Henry had chosen to stay up to look after Clefairy. He had fashioned an entire shelter for her, complete with a mattress made out of shirts, a cup of cool water, and some toys in case she got lonely.

Henry, you are positively precious.

And looks like the answer to the moon stone question is yes. :D Nicely handled evo scene to boot.

“No,” Michael said. “We still have three days. I just wanted to let you know that your Clefairy passed away last night.”

“WHAT?!” Henry sprang to his feet. Almost unconsciously he grabbed hold of Michael’s shoulders. “You’re lying, it’s not funny! What did you do?”

Michael shook his head, his expression blank. “I tried to save her, but I guess I was too late. She’s gone.”

Omg Michael you are such a douche.

They got up, and leaving Bertha somewhat confused, they left the room. In the hallway, Michael pocketed the stone again. “So this definitely wasn’t what made her Roselia evolve… but then what did?”

“Maybe it had something to do with the ring,” Henry offered.

“Could be. But we can’t know for sure until we test it, and that would be impossible now.”

Knowing so very much that the characters don't is kind of frustrating, but in a fun way, if that makes any sense.

“Starly, use Wing Attack!”

Starly beat his wings faster, stirring the air around him into two twin cyclones that kicked up the gravel. Starly launched the attack at Mr. Mime, who was thrown back by the force of the wind. But instead of falling, it did a backwards cartwheel and jumped back to its feet, entirely unharmed.

“Mime, use Mimic!” said Jerry.

The Mr. Mime paused for a moment, pressing its fingers to its temples. Then it spread out its arms, and at that instant they became wings—so fast that Michael barely had time to catch the illusion.

What a cool depiction of mimic. :D

Quick as lightning, the boy snatched it out of Michael’s hand and jumped back towards the beds. Michael reached after it a second too late.

“Give it back!” he snarled.

Henry shook his head. “No. You’ll have it back when you’ve proven to me that you’re a trainer.”

“I said give it back!”

Henry folded his arms. “Nope.”

Looks like Henry's starting to get some nerve about him.

“I would have hoped that you’d have gotten to know Luxio enough after he took down your Turtwig!” Lona said. “But since apparently you haven’t, then next time you might want to listen to advice that you are given instead of whining and insisting on doing things your way!”

“And maybe next time, you could try being more clear too!” he retorted.

Gotta side with Michael here, tbh. No one's a mind reader, and some of us struggle more with ambiguity than others.

It was as if Lona Walker’s shadow, which had been clutching him in a death grip during his entire visit, had suddenly released him and retreated back into its lair, awaiting his return.

helplessly imagines Lona with shadow tag, by which I mean imagining her as a wobbuffet

Biting his lip, Michael knelt into the grass. “Okay, get ready. It might try to fly away.” Henry and Leroy gathered around him, giving just enough room for the pokémon to emerge. Michael twisted open the capsule, and with a rush of light, a Chatot was thrown out. Its body was positioned as if it was still flying, and its eyes were partly closed as if to protect themselves from the wind. As the white light faded, the pokémon hung over the ground for a few seconds, then plopped face-first into the grass with a human-like oomph! The bird let out a squeal, its feathers ruffling, its wings beating in an attempt to regain awareness of its location. Slowly, it lifted itself to an upright position, its eyes blinking separately at first, then adjusting to their proper rhythm. Up close, the Chatot's colors were even more striking, sharp and even like those of a hand-painted toy. Henry and Leroy immediately knelt into the grass, linking their arms with Michael’s to form a triangular cage around the pokémon. The Chatot looked around at the them, its large eyes blinking.

“Trainers no-brainers?” it said, clicking its pink beak. “Fly?”

I am already very extremely glad one of them caught one of these. :D

“Nah, they’re not that good. If you could read some of the other kids’ Dexes, you’d be laughing your pants off. The professor’s staff are holding little contests at the end of the session to see who had the funniest entries, the most detailed ones, and all that. But… yeah.” Leroy waved his hand dismissively.

I for one would love a pokédex containing nothing but funny entries.

Or entries written by a chatot.

Michael had not immediately comprehended what he had seen when he had locked eyes with Lona the previous day. Neither, it seemed, had Henry, and only now did the full meaning of their encounter come to Michael’s awareness. Ted was in love, unknowingly, with the Gym leader from hell. But even stranger was the fact that the lady in the marketplace looked almost nothing like Lona—in dress or demeanor. The placid, impenetrable expression she often wore was gone, replaced by a liberated calm—almost a cheerfulness. Without the jacket’s accompanying weight, she walked swiftly, as if carried by the wind, seeming like just another lady off on her own business.

She was normal.

Mindblowing, isn't it, Michael? That there could be more to her than "the gym leader from hell". That people can actually have multifaceted personalities.

Lona was silent, and for the entire duration of Bertha’s tirade, sat with one elbow rested on the table’s surface, supporting her chin. Her face was clouded, and she seemed lost in thought.

“Galactic will never come to Solaceon…” she said, almost whispering.

Bertha tilted her head to the side, softening her face into an imitation of her interlocutor. “And if it does?”

“It won’t!” With a sudden burst of anger that seemed to come from nowhere, Lona rose from her seat to look Bertha in the eye.

Whoops. Somebody struck a nerve.

The sound of clacking heels advanced over the carpet, just barely audible over the struggle. Michael was too caught up in a rage to notice. He gritted his teeth and looked at Rick, jerking him by the shoulders as if to snap him out of a stupor. “Did you hear a word I just said? I know how to beat her! Lona is a complete joke! Whatever else she says is just a scare tactic to make you feel helpless. Look—” He dropped his backpack onto the carpet and took out his notebook, holding it out between them. “I have everything right here. I’ve been taking notes on her Gym this whole time. I know Lona’s team, and I’ve found out how she battles. All that stuff about being motivated is a lie—all you have to do is match your pokémon’s types against hers and make sure yours are better counters! Don’t listen to the **** she tells you, dammit!”

All of a sudden, a hand reached into his field of vision and snatched Rick by the collar. Before Michael could understand what was happening, claw-like nails gripped him by the shoulder and spun him around, and he found himself face-to-face with Lona. Her eyes were blazing.

WHOOPS. Loose lips sink ships, son!

But suddenly, that part of him was gone. The Lona Walker who had haunted his mind before had vanished — fallen away like the fragments of a shell, leaving behind the shattered remains of its keeper.

Leaving behind a person. At least, I hope he sees that.

Nancy responded with a shrug. “Apparently to sell League stuff you have to have a special certificate of approval for your store. This guy had nothing—and to top it all off, he tried to sell trainer cards too, which gave him away on the spot. League rules say you’re not supposed to do that, ever. You can only get them by writing to the League itself and having them mail it to you, or by going to a local League office and getting one there. Not even Gyms can sell them.”

Ouch, I was afraid of that. Sorry, Mike. You got a bum card.

Michael gave a jolt of surprise, involuntarily tracing a thick line across his paper, and closed his eyes with a groan. “Shut up, Ringo,” he mumbled.

I get the feeling he says that a lot.

The boys had spent many a long afternoon in their hotel room with the TV on, seated at the round snack table, eating their dinner while watching the news. On occasion, they would let out their pokémon to give them a chance to relax, and Michael had made the mistake of sending out Machop. After his first few evenings of dinner theater, the pokémon had clearly found the flashing box to his liking, and now whenever Michael would let him out in the hotel room, he would plant himself on the carpet and sit still for hours, legs folded up against his chest, staring at the picture with wide, unblinking eyes. It soon grew common for the boys to leave him in the room while they went to get food, and come back to find that Machop hadn’t moved a single inch. If Michael tried to pry him from his place, Machop would fidget and squeal in complaint.

Oh gosh. Okay, that's adorable. Sorry, Michael, but it is.

The beam soared up and up till it seemed like it would strike the clouds, but then it began to lose momentum, slowing down like a jet of water from a fountain that had reached its maximum height. The beam slowed to a stop, then slowly, began to fall.

“It’s coming back!” a kid shouted. “Run!”

PFFFF WHOOPS. At least it didn't do any real damage, far as I can tell.

He budged his arm in Turtwig’s direction, as the pokémon turned in place to make sure the Caterpie-cocoon got enough sunlight.

Awww. Good tortoise.

“Michael!’

The boy turned, and at the sight of his panicked eyes, Michael frowned. “What?”

“Caterpie! You left her by a window!”

“So?”

“Butterfrees have to practice using their wings before they can fly! We forgot to close the window, and we’re on the eighth floor! If she falls, she’ll hit the concrete!”

OH ****.

OH **** OH **** OH ****.

Machop got down to his belly and slid himself under the bed, inching his way forward with his arms. Michael crawled back to give him more room, and when Machop got out, he saw the pokémon hold up the object at arm’s length. It was someone’s sneaker.

Congratulations! Your Metapod has evolved into Shoe!

Michael couldn’t help but be amazed that this pokémon had once been a tiny green sausage.

I'll never look at caterpie the same way again. XD

In a snap, Michael lowered his arms to his sides and spun around towards the bench. He lifted Butterfree from the seat and beckoned to Machop, while Henry heaved his tote bag over his shoulder.

Meanwhile Shoe lay forgotten.

Determining a company’s existence was hard enough in itself. The collection of officially-registered companies was stored in the government database in Snowpoint, which had the fastest computer system in Sinnoh, but the amount of information was so vast that it would still take many hours to sift through it all.

I wonder what that era considers fast. Though given this is a version of the '60s with pokémon and the more-than-beginnings of related technology, they might be a bit further ahead than boring old regular irl Earth was at that time.

You've got a good thing going on here. Rich setting, great characters (including the cutest gods-be machop in the history of ever), and the ability to make me appreciate 4th gen just that extra bit more. In the event of an update, count on me dropping by again. :>

Mrs. Lovett

Rolling writer
I can't believe I haven't posted here in almost a year. xP The situation is almost not even worthy of the 'xP'.

But thanks for the review, Sike Saner. I appreciate that you posted it despite the hiatus.

Anyway. Thought it was interesting, and kinda neat, that shininess apparently isn't something people know about in that era.
It's one of the several things that modern pokemon biologists know about that ones in the '60s didn't. You've read all the chapters, so you probably seen that it's one of the things that will get Michael interested in pokemon, and also lead to some undesirable attention from a private investigator.

And now I think I should pause to commend you for having Lennon and linoone in the same chapter and not getting them mixed up at any point, because I can't promise I wouldn't have.

You are now picturing John Linoone.
... I didn't even make that connection up until now. :p Maybe I should have that Linoone's name be Lennon. And sneak a Paul the Poliwhirl and George the Girafarig somewhere in the story, too.

“No,” Michael said. “We still have three days. I just wanted to let you know that your Clefairy passed away last night.”

“WHAT?!” Henry sprang to his feet. Almost unconsciously he grabbed hold of Michael’s shoulders. “You’re lying, it’s not funny! What did you do?”

Michael shook his head, his expression blank. “I tried to save her, but I guess I was too late. She’s gone.”
Omg Michael you are such a douche.
I enjoyed writing that part, in a Michael sort of way. :)

Determining a company’s existence was hard enough in itself. The collection of officially-registered companies was stored in the government database in Snowpoint, which had the fastest computer system in Sinnoh, but the amount of information was so vast that it would still take many hours to sift through it all.
I wonder what that era considers fast. Though given this is a version of the '60s with pokémon and the more-than-beginnings of related technology, they might be a bit further ahead than boring old regular irl Earth was at that time.
Technology in 1960s Sinnoh is a bit more advanced than the tech of our 1960s, but only in certain areas. In hindsight, I think I should have taken more time to describe the nature of Sinnoh's technology, and explain how a society with mass-condensing capsules can lack modern-speed computers. But I'm hard at work on that.

Your comments made me laugh, and helped power me through a tough spot in one of my chapters. Thanks again for stopping by, and I'm glad to have you reading!

Now for a general announcement: I'm not working on Chapter 43. Instead I'm working on a revision, which will more or less affect all the chapters, and necessitate the posting of a new thread. The main storyline will not change, and neither will any of the existing characters. They will, however, be fleshed out more, and result in a richer, more coherent world that will answer two questions: 1. How did Michael Rowan become a Pokemon Professor? and 2. How did 1960s Sinnoh become the Sinnoh of today? The reason I want to post a new thread is that I don't want to keep scrubbing away my old words. I'd rather start anew and look to them for guidance, while at the same time being free from them. Also, although some of the changes will be small, they will have major repercussions that to me clearly mark the distinction between an old version of Roots, and a new one.

I'm truly sorry for the delays I put you all through, but I promise that the new thread will be worth the wait. Up to this point, most of my progress on the revisions has been conceptual, but I've started to make headway with the old chapters. The first five haven't changed much; I've simply added a couple paragraphs and conversations that will connect them more visibly to later chapters. Oreburgh will get the heaviest changes, and Eterna some additions. Those additions will trickle down and affect Hearthome, but beyond that, the Hearthome plotline will be the same. Solaceon might get a new scene or two, and Pastoria will have some things tweaked to elaborate on the Hoenn vs. Sinnoh theme.

When the time comes, I'll update my signature with the posting date. I'll make sure I have at least twenty old chapters rewritten before I post. (Revising twenty old chapters might result in more than twenty new chapters.)

If anybody has anything else to say about the story, then feel free to either post in this thread, or PM me. If not, then I hope to see you in the new thread! (Also, if for whatever reason, you want to keep your place on the PM list, please PM me. Otherwise I'll be starting with a clean slate!)