• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Roots // PG-13

Mrs. Lovett

Rolling writer
Not at all. I've been on-and-off myself, sitewise, and better late than never, right?

And yes, the Gym sequence in this fic is different than the games, though the major cities (like Hearthome and Canalave) will still have Gyms. I've chosen the order very carefully, and I promise you that every single location will be purposeful. No Gym town that Michael and Henry visit will be there just for the purpose of the battle. I will keep the many subplots I've planned as intertwined as possible.

As for Team Galactic, I think I mentioned earlier that they wouldn't quite play the world domination-seeking role that they did in the games. Honestly, I think that having them be more grounded (so to speak) is more interesting. The plot turn is actually the whole Space Race in general, but of course it will involve a lot of Team Galactic later on.

So thanks for the review! Chapter 12 is in the works...

See you next chapter.

Drippy Miltank

Journeyman Breeder
I've just caught up to the latest chapeter.

I love the way you do dialogue. It's almost like you don't have to write "she/he said", the dialogue itself helps one distiguish between the characters speaking.

I'm wondering if this Bertha is the same as the in-game elite four Bertha. If so, why does she switch type preferences (in-game Bertha uses mainly ground types).

A small error, both protagonist recieved diffrent amounts of money from Byron (Micheal $10, Henry $15), while they said and agreed it was the same amount.

I'm looking forward to next chapter.

Mrs. Lovett

Rolling writer
The Bertha in this fic is, of course, younger, and prefers Grass-types due to her hometown and the nature of her personality. I've written her character in regards to her type decision in the games, but only slightly. Simply put, the reason she switches types later in life is because her preferences changed.

And I'm surprised I didn't notice that mistake... It was a part of a small edit I made in the final draft, but I guess I didn't change everything. I'll fix that. Thanks! And thanks for the review!

harryheart

Chapter 5

Quite an interesting chapter. I loved Michael's interactions with everyone, and how the woman really managed to get to him by calling him a monster. I also loved the whole routines he did, such as eating ect. and how lost he seems, lonely and cut off from the world, blaming others, whereas it was him that took the action to leave. This really helped develop the character, and I'm also feeling much more sympathetic for Skunky. Poor thing, why doesn't someone take it away from him? But meh... oh well looking forward to how those two grow!

Mrs. Lovett

Rolling writer
Thanks harryheart, I'm glad you liked the chapter. And yes, being lost was kind of the point of it. It's when Michael sets off on his own, but doesn't know where he's going yet. The bit with the woman I especially liked, since it's sort of the kind of comment Michael would normally brush off, only this time in particular it gets to him.

And don't worry, it'll get better for Stunky in the long run. The Stunky abuse goes down a little in the next few chapters (going from chapter five), and his role will increase later on in the story. I don't ever, ever waste a character. The more abuse it gets means the better it will be in the end xD

Mrs. Lovett

Rolling writer
Writing about Sinnoh in a different age involves a lot of planning, and breaking some rules too xP. I'm glad you liked how Eterna turned out. Since it was already kind of a drab, slow-moving town in the games, I decided to take its history in a similar direction. The contrast between the town and the factory is important too.

Thanks for stopping by, Paddypower! See you next time.

harryheart

Chapter 6

Indeed I'm glad I've found some time to do a little catching up! It was well worth the wait. I love what you did here in terms of the plot, adding in the things from the game such as paying money, the PokeCentre machines and actually making it plausible and a good idea. I'm also liking Henry, an addition I feel will do Michael and Henry a good lot of good, and hopefully make Henry feel confident and grow and make Michael more soft and caring (especially in the case of Stunky!)

The writing was like always exceptionally good, and I'm sure that the rest of the chapters will be at this steady constant pace of improvement and all round wholeness. Same goes with grammar here (in actual fact I don't think I've spotted a single mistake bar you perhaps missing out a word in a certain section)

So yes! Everything is fun, entertaining, interesting and enjoyable whilst maintaining a very good standard!

Mrs. Lovett

Rolling writer
Hey harryheart! I'm glad you liked the little things I took from the games. They actually have a lot of cool things going on--you just have to find the right way to explain them to make them feasible in a story.

And I'm curious... what word did I miss? I'll have to take a look. Thanks for the review!

And for those of you who've been so patiently waiting for Chapter Twelve, it is currently in the works. Expect it up sometime next week. See you then!

harryheart

And I'm curious... what word did I miss? I'll have to take a look. Thanks for the review!

I know it was a connective but that's all I can remember and scanning over it I can't see it. But I'll give it a better looking over soon (I hope if I have time) I should have noted it when I was reading. My bad.

harryheart

Chapter 7

I'm slowly yet surely catching up, and I'm epically excited for this fic as well. I'm loving the concept and how the development just flows like the rest of your story. Nothing seems out of the ordinary here so well done, spelling, grammar, and plot all flows nicely into one another creating a nice read.

I loved how we got to see Byron here, always nice to see those sorts of characters, and I thought it especially interesting to see the history of him, his Pokemon, his Gym etc. I'm also especially intrigued (staying with the history concept) with the Pokedex here. Lovely idea, and lovely way of functioning this early model! I completely loved it, and I have a feeling I know who this may be (another tree man?) lol.

Anyway all brilliant as ever. I look forward to reading more

Mrs. Lovett

Rolling writer
Hey guys, it's been a while. I've been working in the background on a bunch of chapters for this fic, so rest assured, as I have many more to share with you. I decided it was finally time to stop stalling and get posting again.

A little note about this one:

First of all, this chapter is short, and somewhat uneventful. I couldn't write it any other way - to do anything more would be to just stuff it with unnecessary details.

But the good news is, I've compensated by finishing Chapter 13 (it's completely done) and I will be posting it in a few days so you won't have to wait too long after reading this one. Chapter 13 will be of regular length, and it has a lot more going on than this one does. Twelve is by no means unimportant, though, so I'd still read it carefully if I were you.

By eight o’clock, the sun was beginning to set over Route 205. Trees were slimmed by their own shadows and the sun was slowly closing its eye, spilling bands of red and purple across the sky.

The route itself was a small meadow divided by a brook. It wasn’t as large as the meadow over the hill (even with the factory taking up an entire half, it had been huge), but plant life was abundant here, and it thickened as the water trailed west towards the forest.

When Michael got there, the route was aglow with afternoon light. It had a generous amount of trees and bushes, and lots of shady spots that revealed glimpses of a forest within. In the daytime, trainers would no doubt have gathered to practice in such an abundant spot, but for now the route was quiet. The only other person there was a fisherman casting his line from the narrow bridge. A bucket stood by his side, filled with tiny, gleaming masses.

"All right. Let's drop everything here. No one's gonna take it." Michael set his backpack into the dirt, and Henry did the same.

When Michael straightened, he gave the route another once-over. "Okay, this is definitely a good spot. Pokémon hide in really out-of-the-way places—the kind where no one would think to look. So, we’re going to have to spend more than a few minutes if we want to find out. It can get pretty dry, but be patient. Got it?”

Henry nodded.

Michael stared at the trees for a moment. “Good. Now what we really need now is a net...”

“But what about using our bare hands?” Henry cut in. “Isn’t that how you got the Stunky?”

“Yeah, but hands are only good for catching. Once you catch a pokémon you have to find a way to keep it, and it’s not like we can carry it back to Bertha’s place.”

“But we don’t have a net. Where are we gonna get one?” Henry said.

Michael smiled. “I was thinking we could get one off of that guy.” He pointed to the fisherman. "Let’s ask.”

The fisherman was so caught up in his task that he barely noticed their approach. His boots were soaked up to the heels with water, and the edges of his vest were frayed and weathered. Up close, Michael could examine his bounty: Piles of dead Goldeen, Barboach, and Horsea were all lumped together in the bucket, giving off a slightly rotten smell. Behind him was a large mass of netting, unused.

"Hey, can you lend us that net really quick?" Michael called out, and the man jumped. The pole slipped from his hands and splashed into the water.

“Damn!” The man spat, and bent to pick it up. The empty hook was slightly stained with blood, but whatever it had held was gone. The man swore again, and turned his sweaty face to Michael. “You’ve just lost me my dinner, kid. What do you want?”

"We were just wondering if you would let us use that net." Michael pointed.

The man rubbed his eyes with his free hand. "Sorry, kid. I've been waiting all afternoon to reel in the big one, and I still haven’t gotten anything. I run a shop you know, and if I can’t sell I can’t buy.” He took a fresh chunk of bait from a second bucket, attached it to the hook, and cast the line again.

"Just the extra one,” Michael said. “We’ll only take it for a minute or two, then give it back.”

"Please?" Henry added, with a sugary smile on top.

Before the man could respond, something tugged at the pole. He quickly rose to his feet, twisting the crank with a growing smile. "Here it comes, here it comes..."

With a final grunt, he pulled, and the force of it nearly pushed him to the other side of the bridge. Something splashed, and out from the water came a giant lump of seaweed. Michael began to laugh. When the fisherman saw his prize, his sun-baked face reddened further.

"Shit!" he snarled. He dropped the pole and pressed his hands to his face. "Half an hour wasted, and it turns out to be grass...”

"So can we have your net?" Michael asked again.

"Fine, fine, fine! Just leave me alone!" The man lifted the net from the ground and thrust it into Michael’s hands. He paced around for a few moments, then sat back down, his legs hanging over the side. As Michael walked away, the man began to mumble to himself.

"Well, that was weird," Henry said. "At least we have our net. So what do we do now?"

"Follow my lead. And be really quiet too. Pokémon scare easy." Michael approached a bush, bent down beside it, and gave it a quick shake. Some leaves fell out, but he could hear no other noise.

Michael moved on to the next bush and shook it. Still nothing. He closed his eyes and listened, for his science teacher once told him that your hearing worked better when your sight was cut off. (Michael had tried the trick several times, but never really saw a difference.) All around him he could hear screeches and rustles, each sound twinkling in his mind. But when he opened his eyes, all he saw was stillness.

Several minutes passed. Michael continued to stare up at the trees, lost in the intricate patterns of their branches. He could have easily slipped into a daydream, until Henry’s voice jarred him awake.

"How long does this usually take?" the boy whispered.

"Sssh! Longer if you keep talking!"

Henry fell silent. A minute later, Michael felt a tap on his shoulder.

"How long did it take for you to find your Stunky?"

"Ugh. A while, okay? We had to skip the entire third period to get it."

"Skip classes?" Henry gasped.

"Yes. Skip classes. It's not as mind-blowing as it seems."

"But why would you do that?"

"It doesn't matter, just shut up!”

“But—”

“Look, do you want to win the Gym or not?"

"Yes!"

"Then shut up!"

Michael blinked and turned around, once more scanning the area. He did three full circles, but all he saw were the same trees, bushes, and rocks.

"I don't get it," he said after a while. "Where are all the pokémon?"

"Hey, look!" Henry said.

Michael jumped. "Where? What? What is it?" He lifted the net, ready to swipe at any moment.

"Right over there!" Henry pointed to a tall hedge. It was covered with bright pink blooms that swayed oddly with the wind. Instead of moving in one direction, as the laws of nature dictated, each flower opened and closed its petals freely, as if to kiss the air. Michael moved closer, narrowing his eyes enough to see the tiny peeking faces behind the petals.

"Are those... pokémon?" Henry said, creeping closer. The flowers had tiny black eyes and mouths that, at the first glance, looked to be no more than spots. Each face was unique, and some had different colors than others.

“They're Cherrim,” Michael said.

"Neat!” Henry said. He lifted a finger and gently brushed one of the delicate petals. Instantly, the bloom snapped shut, displaying a blue outer shell. A smile spread across his lips.

"Ha! That was so cool!" He poked a second, and laughed as it did the same thing. "Why do they do that?"

Michael sighed. "Focus, Henry. We have to find a fire type." He pulled Henry away from the bush, and they went deeper into the meadow, following the course of the brook. Michael kept his eyes open, and stopped when they alighted on a large tree that stood on the other side. It was some sort of willow tree, with thin, stringy leaves and roots that bulged out of the ground.

"You see that tree over there?" Michael pointed.

"Yeah."

"I bet that's where all the pokémon are. Let's go look."

They carefully crossed the brook, stepping on stones whose heads were above the waterline. The trees here were more tightly-packed, and their branches seemed to weave together into a single canopy that sheltered them from the light.

"Okay. You come in from the left, and I'll come in from the right. This way, we'll corner whatever's hiding there, and it'll be our advantage. Got it?"

"Right." Henry began to tiptoe towards the tree, scrunching his face as he pretended to concentrate. Michael sighed. This kid had a lot to learn.

Up close, the tree looked to be about twenty feet tall. Its trunk was enormous, so that if a person hugged it their fingers wouldn’t come close to touching. Michael crept beneath its canopy, keeping his net at his side. Beneath the shade of the branches, the grass was cool and thick.

Henry approached, and Michael pressed his back against the trunk, using his peripherals as much as he could. From somewhere nearby, he could hear the crinkle of leaves. Lots of them. His heart began to pound.

They remained still for a few minutes. The sounds came and went with alternating loudness, but when Michael looked up, he could only see shadows.

Out of nowhere, Henry let out a gasp.

"Look!"

Michael reacted instantly. He looked up, fleetingly able to see a small dark figure leap down from a branch. With trained coordination, he swung the net over his head and let it fall to the ground, trapping the pokémon within.

"You got it!" Henry grinned.

The net rocked and jumped as the pokémon struggled against its new prison. Michael approached it, panting. Through the netting, he could see the outline of a tiny body, wings, and beak.

"What the hell? It's just a Starly!"

"What do you mean? That's good." Henry watched as the bird continued to screech and beat its wings.

"Starlies are flying types, dur hur. That won't help us in the Gym at all."

Henry's face fell. "Well... if a hurricane made a plant fall down, wouldn't that kill it?"

"If I ripped it out of the ground myself, that would kill it too. Don't overthink." Michael grasped the tip of the net and lifted it a little.

"Wait, wait, you're just gonna let it go?"

"Yeah."

"But why?"

Michael looked over to Henry, who was biting his lip. "Because it's of no use. It won't help us at all."

"I still say we should keep it. It could come in handy."

"No," he said again. "I'm not keeping it."

"Fine, then I will." Henry kneeled down beside the Starly. "I'll carry it around and stuff so you won't have to. I have a spare pokéball."

Michael sighed, resigned. "Whatever." He handed the net to Henry, who carefully sealed its opening. The Starly continued to fidget.

Michael went back over to the tree and sat down against it. "Snack?" He held up a candy bar.

Henry looked at it for a moment. "Uh..."

"Come on. They give you energy."

"Well... okay. One time can't hurt, right?"

Michael tossed a bar over to Henry, then took one for himself. He sat under the tree for a while, watching the clouds in between bites of milk chocolate and caramel. When he reached back into his snack pocket, Michael was alarmed to discover that his supply was running out. He had only three Taffy chews left, some bubble gum, and a Hershey bar. At the rate he was going, all the candy he had brought from home would be gone in three days. And for some reason, it made him feel strangely lonely.

He sat there, one arm resting on his bent knee, while Henry munched on the bar beside him.

“This is really good! If it were healthy, I’d eat it all day!” Henry wiped his face with the heel of his hand and stuffed the empty wrapper into his pocket. He had wolfed down the bar in less than a minute. “All right! I’m ready to go. So are we gonna go looking again? There might be a fire type around here somewhere. I bet they’re just hiding.” He clapped his hands and stumbled backwards, looking up at the tree’s canopy.

Michael looked at him, then back up at nothing. “Yeah.” But he didn’t move. Henry slung his tote bag over his shoulder and began to walk off, and a few moments later, Michael went to join him.

They followed the river back to their starting point. The fisherman was getting ready to leave. His toolkit was closed, and the buckets were arranged in a row, all filled to the brim. When he saw the boys, he snapped his fingers.

“Great! Just in time. I’ll take that back now.” He reached for the net, but Michael hesitated.

“We still need it. Sorry, we’re trying to catch a pokémon and it’s taking longer than usual.”

The man raised an eyebrow. “Well I’d love to help, but that happens to be my good net, and I need it for tomorrow’s session.”

“You fish every day?” Michael said. “Don’t you ever take a break? You know, for your life?”

“Didn’t I tell you I have a shop to run? When you’re in the business, fishing is your life, whether you like it or not. And Eterna’s not a bad spot, mind you. Sure it’s no Pastoria, but the forest’s got all kinds of weird things cropping up all the time. Here.” He heaved a bucket from the ground. “Just now, while you two were gone, I caught this...”

He reached into the bucket with his bare hand, pushing aside the bodies with sick, slimy noises. The man took one out and held it in front of Michael’s face.

“Look at it! Look! Have you ever seen anything like this before?”

The pokémon that dangled from his fingers was a pale blue. Its eyes were glazed and its long, narrow snout hung limp like a noodle. It was a Horsea, but unlike any other Michael had seen. This one was bigger, fatter, and there was a slightly different shape to its head and fins. Even its scales seemed different from the tiny, round dots he had seen in the school aquarium.

“What is that?” Henry marveled. He reached out to touch it, but the fisherman yanked it back.

“Nah-ah. No fingers.”

“It looks like a Horsea,” Michael said.

“Yes, but it’s not! It’s a new pokémon, I’m telling ya!” He grinned. “Yep, wait ‘till everyone hears. I’ve discovered a new pokémon species, and it’ll only be sold in my shop. I’ll be rich!”

“But how can you prove it’s a new species? It might just be a Horsea whose growth spurt went out of wack.”

The man lifted a finger. “Ah, but it’s not a Horsea. How do I know? Look.” He brought the body close again, and spread the flesh near its neck to reveal an incision in the skin. “The meat is white. Horsea meat is pink. Always pink. Ask any expert on seafood and he’ll tell you that.” He placed the pokémon back into the bucket. “Well, I’m off boys. And seriously, I need the net.”

After a brief pause, Michael handed it to him. The man smiled. “Sorry. Better luck next time, eh?” He started off, but after a few steps he looked back. “Oh, and if you’re having trouble, I’d get one of those pokéballs. I heard they’re pretty reliable.”

“Thanks for the tip,” Michael said through his teeth.

“So long! Off to make millions.” The man laughed again, and strode off towards town.

When he was gone, Henry puffed out his cheeks and let out a sigh. “Great. Now we have nothing to hunt with.”

“We’re screwed,” Michael said simply. “We have absolutely no plan, no pokémon, and no time.”

“We could always use our bare hands,” Henry suggested.

“Yeah, that’ll take even longer. Let’s just go home.”

“Home?”

“Bertha’s house. Whatever.” Michael started back the way they came. Henry fell into step behind him, and they were silent.

//////

When they got back to Bertha’s house, they were awaited with a lit kitchen and a full dinner table. Bertha was sitting at the end, and looked up as the boys entered. She cringed a little when they dropped their backpacks against the wall, but nevertheless her smile remained.

“You might want to wash your hands first,” she said. “And close it, before you let the flies in.”

She was talking to Michael, who had gaped at the sight of three perfect bowls of pasta, topped with a circle of marinara and adorned with tall glasses of juice. Besides the main course, there was also a salad, and three hot rolls in a basket. A basket. He and Henry slowly rounded the table. Even with the food so close he could taste it, Michael still couldn’t believe it.

“Is this all for us?” His eyes rested on each dish one by one, delving into a world of color.

“Who else?” Bertha laughed. “And if you were going to say me, then you better watch it, skinny.”

Michael pulled back a chair to sit, but Henry pulled him back. “Not yet, we have to wash our hands first.”

Michael grumbled, but stepped away.

“You can use that one over there.” Bertha pointed to the kitchen sink. The boys washed their hands, then took their seats.

Henry immediately dove in. He spun threads of pasta on his fork, slathered them with marinara, then shoved them into his mouth, pausing every so often for a gulp of juice. Michael watched Bertha eat as well; she and Henry took turns with the salad, weighing each spoonful before placing it on their plates, then bit by bit working through the piles until they disappeared.

Hands tore at the bread, forks clattered, and the mounds of food grew smaller and smaller. All the while, Michael sat with his head slightly lowered, staring at the spot of red sauce on his spaghetti till the color burned in his eyes.

“Bertha, you’re a really good cook!” Henry began after a swallow. “You make salads just like my mom. Only you know what she does?”

“What?” Bertha said. She was twisting another clump of noodles around her fork.

“She adds some spices right before she tosses. That gives it a lot of flavor. She uses different spices for different types of salads. Even egg salad, once. I thought it would taste really weird, but it actually tasted amazing!”

“Well that’s interesting. I’ll have to try that. Was your mom a cook or something?”

Henry shook his head. “No, we had a cook. He did basically everything, but my mom always made the salads no matter what. They were her specialty.”

Bertha smiled. “All my mother did was cook. She usually stuck with desserts, though. Those were her territory. What she was really good at was baking pies.”

“Really?”

“Yep. Apple, cherry, blueberry, anything you can think of. She even invented her own sometimes, mixing flavors like mango and raspberry. We had a little bake shop that my friends and I helped out with in the summer. She wrote down all her recipes in a little cookbook and gave it to me for my birthday one year.”

Henry looked up, his eyes gleaming. “Do you still bake pies?”

Bertha tilted her head to the side. “Hmm... why?”

“Well...”

“You want one?”

Henry began to laugh. “Yeah. Sorry, all the talk about dessert made me want some.”

“I haven’t baked in a while, though I suppose I could start again. Here. I’ll make you a deal—if you win the battle, I’ll bake you a pie. If you don’t, I won’t. Or better yet, I’ll bake one and eat it myself.”

“Hey!”

They both laughed. After a while, they stopped, then turned to Michael. He hadn’t touched his food.

“What’s the matter?” Bertha said. “You sick?”

“Are you going to eat your bread?” Henry’s fingers jumped to the rim of the basket.

To both, Michael shook his head. “No. I’m fine.”

Henry pulled the bread to his plate and began to nibble on it. Halfway, he stopped and put it down, his face betraying the tiniest bit of guilt.

“Are you sure?” Bertha continued to look at him. “If you’re not hungry, you can leave. I won’t mind.”

Michael shook his head. In fact, he was hungry, and with such a lavish meal within arm’s reach, he felt the pang like never before. He had never seen such a table, not even at home, where his own mother was the cook and often messed things up, in more ways than one.

Several years before, (he had no idea why this memory was springing forward now, but it was too late to stop it) he had been sitting at dinner with his mother. Richard had vanished, Brian was off to school, and it was just the two of them, slurping noodles and watching the clock tick.

“So how was school?” Patricia had asked.

Michael had replied with the usual, that ancient, time-tested phrase that was more or less guaranteed to get an annoying subject off your back. “Fine.”

In reality, the day had been less to his liking. He had gotten a D on a test (he did somewhat care about his grades, regardless of what everyone else thought) and the paper was sitting in his backpack, awaiting a parent signature he’d probably ask Brendan to forge later the next day. Their new science teacher, the replacement for the one who had retired, was almost abusively strict and ran her classroom like a military camp.

And Michael Rowan was one of her favorite students.

He had passed her first assignment with flying colors, and the other competitors for ‘top of the class’ included Lola Brown and Carl Rogers—soon to be the class nerds.

Michael knew he wasn’t stupid, but it made him angry that he should automatically be lumped into a category he didn’t want to be in. He had gone to the Jubilife School for Young Children since kindergarten, as had his brothers in their own times, and the Rowan family had a mixed reputation. Brian was, of course, the brain. Richard was the ne’er-do-well. And he? Michael was both... and neither.

During their dinners together, Michael and his mother rarely talked. (To the contrary of what Patricia would later say in a certain interview with a teacher.) Their relationship was strictly grounded upon survival—if there was food and TV, they could get along peacefully, minimal contact creating minimal friction, so they could slip past each other’s lives without disturbance.

So to sum it all up, and to close another long loop of thought which Michael’s mind created intermittently and without warning throughout his life, he was stuck. He now sat at another dinner table, in another house and with other company, but for some reason the sight brought him all the way back, to the empty years when his life had been a waste.

It had been a long time since he had sat with his family at dinner. A long, long time.

Last edited:

Adrexus

Do it the bird way!
Hey, its been a while! I'm glad to see that Roots is back up. I was getting worried that you would discontinue it because I was really enjoying reading your work. When Michael said Starly was a flying type and that it wouldn't help out against grass types, I thought he was being sarcastic. But he is just starting out on an adventure, so that would make sense. I sense that something important is going to happen with Henry and Starly though. But, good to see that Roots is still going. I'll be back in a few days when you post the next chapter.

Mrs. Lovett

Rolling writer
I was getting worried that people would be getting worried that I'd be discontinuing this... which is why I put that line in my sig about Roots not being dead. Well, it doesn't matter now anyways, right? Twelve's been done for a while now, but I wanted to get some more work done on the story before I posted it, so that there wouldn't be any more of these horrible gaps in between chapters.

And yeah, I can understand why you'd think Michael would be kidding when he said that the Starly wouldn't help at all... but the truth is, he was dead serious. :/ I know. This underlines how un-knowledgeable he (and most people overall) are about the full mechanics of pokemon typing. He'll get a somewhat rude awakening later on, though, so don't worry.

Thanks for stopping by!

Dawn_Hero

Written Insanity~
The route itself was a small meadow with a brook running through it. The meadow wasn’t as large as the one over the hill (even with the factory taking up an entire half, it had been huge), but plant life was abundant here, and it thickened as the water trailed west towards the forest.
Small nitpick, but those two meadows are somewhat awkwardly close - for me, anyways. Try describing it a tad rather than using the same word; "The route itself was a small meadow with a brook running through it. The grassy expanse wasn't as large as..." Well, you get the idea. c:

Michael called out, and the man jumped.
This felt more like an awkward anecdote. Try to make his jumping more subtle if you can help it. "Michael called out, making the man turn and drop his pole in mild surprise." (Bad example, but do you get what I'm saying? ^^;; )

“She adds some spices right before she tosses. That gives it a lot of flavor. She uses different spices for different types of salads. Even egg salad, once. I thought it would taste really weird, but it actually tasted amazing!”

“Well that’s interesting. I’ll have to try that. Was your mom a cook or something?”
Fixed. ^^ You forgot the 'r.'

I'm really sorry for not dropping in to review more (if you even remember when I used to xD) ; during the school year I was so busy that I could hardly ever read someone else's work, let alone write my own on top of it. :S I've been keeping up with this story, though, and I just wanted to let you know you're doing an absolutely fantastic job. Everything's coming along quite nicely, and I'm excited to read chapter 13 once you have it up. :)

Mrs. Lovett

Rolling writer
Not at all! Don't worry, the same thing happened to me when school was in full swing. It sucks knowing that you want to write, but knowing also that you have 1000 things to finish before you can even start. Staying off the job for too long kills my motivation somewhat, so I try to at least read my stories to see where I am.

Small nitpick, but those two meadows are somewhat awkwardly close - for me, anyways. Try describing it a tad rather than using the same word; "The route itself was a small meadow with a brook running through it. The grassy expanse wasn't as large as..." Well, you get the idea. c:
Yeah, I see what you're saying, but I didn't want to stuff it with too much description as to 'how' the meadow in the route was, exactly.

The only correction I see is this:

The route itself was a small meadow with a brook running through it. It wasn’t as large as the meadow over the hill (even with the factory taking up an entire half, it had been huge), but plant life was abundant here, and it thickened as the water trailed west towards the forest.

I'm starting to like the latter one, though.

This felt more like an awkward anecdote. Try to make his jumping more subtle if you can help it. "Michael called out, making the man turn and drop his pole in mild surprise." (Bad example, but do you get what I'm saying? ^^;; )
In that paragraph, I was going for a sudden sort of 'jump'. Like 'she screamed, and he jumped'. I get what you're trying to say, though. I was trying to slacken on the description in this chapter, to make things more straightforward.

I can't believe I missed the 'you' thing, though. I specifically remember reading that once sentence before I posted this, so it's a wonder it slipped past my eyes. Haha.

So, thanks for stopping by. I understand if you can't review all the time, but I'm really glad you're reading!

Mrs. Lovett

Rolling writer
Here's chapter thirteen, everyone. Hope you like it!

A note before we begin: In one scene, you'll find Bertha talking to some people about chemicals. I'm not a chemistry major, nor do I intend to be, so I don't get too detailed in the names. I use the term 'fluorine compound' loosely, so if any of you happen to be learned in chemistry and think its placement here is completely bogus, know that I just use it for literary purposes. If it's that bad, then feel free to tell me how to make it better. :p

That is all.

1.3​
The next morning, a thin layer of fog hung over the town. Michael and Henry had slipped out of bed early, and by the time the sun showed, they were in Route 205, walking in the generous shade of the trees along the path they had traced the previous day.

The Starly they captured had remained obedient, thanks to a spare pokéball Henry happened upon in his bag. The previous night, he had captured it and made it his own. The Starly was now perched snugly on Henry’s arm, where it pruned its feathers with its beak and squawked every so often.

They had practiced with what they had, shouting commands back-and-forth and directing the attacks towards trees. Their lack of a fire type still worried Michael, and he wasn’t sure if he could devise a good plan without one. He had brought his chart along, and managed to take down some notes. So far, their circumstances looked pretty bleak. He didn’t even know what pokémon Bertha had.

They were now walking back to her house, Michael in the lead. His stomach was beginning to rumble, and after the previous night’s dinner, he was eager to see what she would have for breakfast.

When they got to the house, however, what Michael saw surprised him. Bertha was stepping down from the porch, dressed in a stiff, formal dress, and carrying a large handbag that could only mean she was going somewhere.

When she saw them, Bertha paused mid-step, lips parted. “Boys? What are you doing? I thought you were still sleeping.”

“We went out early to train,” Michael said. “Where are you going?”

Bertha zipped open the purse and placed her keys inside. “That’s not important. But I’m leaving you two in charge of the house while I’m gone, okay? Make breakfast, but clean up after you’re done. I have pancake mix, eggs, anything you like. Cereal’s in the pantry. Got that?”

Michael and Henry nodded.

“Great. I’m off then. Don’t burn the place down.” She winked, and walked off.

“Wait!” Michael said. “What about the battle?”

Bertha turned around. “Oh don’t worry, I’ll only be about two hours. Two-and-a half tops. What you should be thinking about is a plan! Remember, I’m not easy to beat.”

“Okay. Thanks.”

“Bye.” Bertha waved, then went on her way. Michael entered the house, going immediately to the kitchen to get the pancake mix from the pantry.

“So she’s leaving the whole house to us?” Henry said. He looked around in wonder.

“Yep. Two hours all to ourselves.” Michael turned the box over and read the back cover. He had never tried to cook before, and almost all early childhood attempts at make brownies had resulted in failure, mostly due to his lack of patience when it came to the baking part. Richard would often sabotage the liquid mix while it was still in the oven, leaving next to nothing when Michael took it back out.

“Well, we should probably get started,” Michael said. “Do you know how to make pancakes?”

Henry shrugged. “No. Just follow the instructions, I guess?”

Michael read the label again. “It says I need an egg, butter, half-cup of milk, and one cup of mix. Can you get all that?”

“Hey, why me?”

“Because I’m the director of this project, and you’re the one who gets things done.” Michael had said this completely seriously, but he couldn’t help but smile at his own tone.

Henry obliged, and placed the gathered ingredients onto the counter. For the next few minutes, the boys struggled with the ingredients, opening packages, tossing scraps into the waste basket, and stirring the liquid mix with a beater Michael had found in one of the many kitchen drawers. The sink was soon filled with piles of dirty dishes and utensils, as he and Henry sampled and measured the ingredients.

When the time finally came to ready the stove, Henry approached with a heat-resistant glove on (Michael told him not to be a sissy, but he didn’t listen) and carefully buttered the skillet. They ladled the mix in parts, flipping the pancakes until they were brown on both sides, and divided them onto plates.

They sat down at the dining table twenty minutes later. Michael took a bite out of the finished product, and was pleased when it tasted all right.

“She has a really pretty house,” Henry commented from the other chair. In the morning, the sunlight scattered around the walls, and seemed to light the kitchen up from the inside.

“Yeah, I guess.” Michael looked around. Bertha had a fireplace, and it faced the kitchen from a small anteroom that accommodated an armchair. There were photographs on her mantle, but what Michael’s eyes lingered on was a small metal tray at the center. It was made of black wire, though he could see what it contained—three silver balls.

He got up.

“Where are you going?” Henry lowered his fork.

“I think this is where she keeps her pokémon,” Michael said. He approached the mantle. Sure enough, there were pokéballs in the tray, winking at him in the light. He took one into his hands, and smiled.

“Wait!” Henry ran after him. “I don’t think we should be touching them.”

“Why not? Think about it. We have the whole battle in our hands right here.” He held up two pokéballs. “If we could release them and take a look, I could get a better idea of what their types are, and how to counter them! It’s a total save!”

“I don’t know. Bertha’s really nice, and it wouldn’t be right to snoop around while we’re guests in her home. It’s cheating.”

“Please. If she really didn’t want us to look, she’d have taken them with her when she left.” He twisted the knob on the first one, but Henry grabbed his wrist.

“No!”

Michael pulled away. “Let go!”

“It’s not right!”

“Don’t be a baby. She won’t even know we looked. We’ll just put them back exactly as we found them.”

Henry crossed his arms and turned away. “Fine. You can look, but I won’t.”

“Suit yourself.” Michael unscrewed the knob and shut his eyes against the burst of light that followed. When it faded, he looked down.

A Turtwig lay at his feet, shaking itself awake. Its back was to Michael, and for the first few seconds, it stared at the opposite wall in confusion. Then it turned around to face him.

From the side, Henry looked over his shoulder. “A Turtwig!” he said. The curiosity was edging back into his face, though he did not move as Michael kneeled down and looked at it. The Turtwig had realized that Michael was not its trainer, and was looking at him with its head cocked to the side.

“These things are everywhere,” Michael murmured. “I don’t think there’s anything special about this one, do you?”

Henry shook his head. “It doesn’t look like it. And well, it’s not different-colored like yours.”

“Let’s just hope it can’t shoot a sonic boom out of its mouth,” Michael said, and returned it back into the pokéball. “Why else would a Gym leader have a Turtwig?”

He swapped the pokéball for another, and opened the second. Out came a Cherrim. The pokémon had been sleeping too, and its petals were still folded in a shell around it.

“Hey, it’s a Cherrim!” Henry said. “Like the ones we saw on the bushes the other day.”

“They’re grass types too,” Michael said. “Still no surprises.”

“It shouldn’t be too hard, though, right?”

“Don’t know. Have you ever seen a Cherrim battle?”

Henry shook his head.

“Well then, I guess we will tonight.” Michael called the sleeping Cherrim back inside, and took down the final pokéball.

He opened it, shut his eyes, and when he opened them again, they instantly widened in surprise.

“Whoa!” Henry slid down to the floor for a closer look. “What is that?”

“It’s a Roselia,” Michael said, though he himself wasn’t so sure. The pokémon that had appeared was bigger and bulkier than any Roselia he had ever seen. The pokémon had a tuft of white hair growing from the crown of its head, and some more forming a ring around its neck. Its head was rounder, and the blooms at the end of each arm were larger and frillier. “I mean... it looks like one, but—”

“But its growth spurt went out of wack?” Henry looked at him. Coming from his mouth, Michael’s words took on a new light.

The Roselia-thing was looking at them in confusion, probably wondering why these two random kids were staring and chattering at it. Michael reached out to stroke its head. The thing permitted the contact, but never took its eyes off him. The hair on its head was soft and wispy.

“Maybe it’s the factory again,” Henry said. “You know, all those chemicals everywhere could be causing mutations. Remember the Horsea in the river?”

Michael nodded. “Yeah...”

“Well, that’s enough looking I think.” Henry snatched the pokéball from Michael’s hands and returned the Roselia-thing. He placed the pokéball back on the mantle. “So are you gonna add them to the chart? They’re all grass types, so we only have to think of one counter.”

Michael was still on his knees, staring up at the window. “But the mutation. How could a Roselia change like that? If it’s from the chemicals, I bet you that its appearance wasn’t the only thing they altered.”

“We could always ask Bertha about it,” Henry said. “But that would kinda give us away.”

“We don’t have to ask her. I have a better idea.” Michael got up and went back to the kitchen. Henry followed.

“We’re going to find out more about these mutations,” Michael said. He took his backpack from the floor and slung it over his shoulder. “Let’s go.”

//////

The Eterna Courthouse was the town’s oldest standing building. It had been built in 1704, a date which was engraved on a gold plaque right above its giant wooden doors. The building itself was huge, with a giant bell and prim-faced statues flanking its sides.

A few years ago, a restoration project had reinforced it with steel beams and replaced the roof with shingles, but other than that the building’s original architecture remained untouched. The imaginative mind would fill its seats with juries, its podiums with wig-wearing judges, and the cells of its tiny jail with stooping prisoners.

But aside from being a tourist attraction, the building itself served little purpose. Crime had never been a pastime in Eterna as far as Bertha knew, and she would often spot the sheriff walking around with an apple, his handcuffs clacking emptily against his belt as he searched for something to do with himself.

Bertha pushed open the double doors and went inside. The interior of the courthouse was almost entirely made of wood, and the main feature was a pair of stairs that stood on either end of the lobby, leading up to the balconies. It was not the stairway that she turned to, however. Bertha went immediately to a side door—one that was plain and mostly unnoticeable against the wall—and stepped through into a tiny, musty room.

The room’s only piece of furniture was a large wooden table, one that took up almost all the space and left only a little wiggle room for chairs. Three men sat behind it, through there was enough space between them to affirm that they were not together. The man on the left was dressed in full business attire, and his hair had that wet, gelled-back look that made him look suspiciously fish-like. The man in the middle wore a simple shirt and tie, without any other accessories. The last man had abandoned formality altogether, sitting quite comfortably in a t-shirt and jeans.

The men had all been staring in separate directions, each perhaps going off on his own trail of thought, but when Bertha stepped through the door, their eyes locked on her.

Bertha lowered her purse onto the table, but did not sit down. She gave a curt nod. “Hello.”

The man in the t-shirt nodded back. “Hello, Bertha. Glad you could make it.” He attempted a smile, but it quickly faded, and the room returned to its previous gloom.

After a brief pause, the man in the middle spoke. “All right, we’re all here, now let’s get to the point. What’s the problem and why’ve you called us here?”

“You know what the problem is,” Bertha said. “The whole town knows it. We see it every day when we look north.”

“If you’re talking about the factory—”

“Yes! I’m talking about the factory, Darrel! That thing’s been a problem since the day it got put up, and it’s getting worse and worse every day.”

“To my knowledge,” the man in the suit cut in, “everything’s been fine up to this point. I don’t understand where your complaints suddenly came from.”

“That’s because you live by Cycling Road. Of course you don’t have any complaints, because you’re not the one who’s up all night not able to get a wink of sleep while there’s a fucking earthquake in your backyard!” This last shout had been loud, and Bertha felt a tiny ripple of pain in her throat. She suppressed a cough. She had planned to start off calm, but apparently her control wasn’t with her today.

“If the noise is so bad, why hasn’t anyone complained?” Darrel said. “Surely if it was an issue worth pointing out, somebody would have said something in... oh I don’t know, the past year or so?”

“Oh, they have. I personally went around and gathered these statements.” Bertha took a folder from her purse and opened it. She took out a single paper and laid it down on the table. “You might know Mrs. Danbury, the lady who keeps a berry farm right by the forest. She used to be able to bring basketfuls of Orans and Spelons to the market. Now, every other season of crops ends up dropping dead. Look.”

The men leaned in closer. Clipped to the papers was a photograph of a field, each bush dotted with berries of various colors. Everything was covered in a white Christmas of tiny flakes.

“I took that picture last year, in July. All the plants from that season ended up shriveling, and Mrs. Danbury said that she couldn’t plant anything in the soil for over five months. Then there’s this.” Bertha took out another paper-clipped stack that she placed on top of the first one. “This is a medical report. The Eburway’s kids all got sick a few months ago. Headaches, dizziness, weak bones, and lots of coughing. Before that, they were in perfect health. They played in the meadow every afternoon, but now they can hardly walk.”

Devon looked at all this, and shook his head. “So? It’s illusion of correlation. Maybe it was a blight that killed Mrs. Danbury’s plants. Maybe the Eburway kids have inherent disabilities. Maybe the flakes are the result of insecticides. There are hundreds of factors that can be in play. What makes you think the factory is the one behind all this?”

Bertha’s face tightened. “Don’t think I haven’t done my research! I keep a garden of my own, right by the meadow, and every time a breeze comes around from the factory’s direction, I see those flakes. If the wind’s strong enough, they’ll get into the streets too, and slip in through the cracks in people’s doors!”

“It’s a baseless assumption!” he protested. “You can’t possibly prove that the flakes are coming from the factory from the simple observation that they come from its direction.”

“Then maybe you’d like to explain why there were none before?”

“This problem could easily be solved by chemical testing,” said Darrel. “We need to know exactly what the flakes are in terms of chemical structure.”

“Way ahead of you.” Bertha placed yet another sheet of paper onto the table. “They’re a fluorine compound, which is produced under extreme conditions when certain gases are mixed. Now I don’t know about you, but I can’t imagine anywhere in Eterna where people mix gases for a living.”

Thomas exhaled. “Bertha, I’d love to believe you, but unless we know the factory’s exact chemical procedure, we can’t safely assume that they’re the cause of this.”

“And besides,” Devon said. “They are making computer parts. I’ve done my fair share of reading, and I can say that nowhere in that process is a fluorine compound used.”

“Then they must be making something else,” Bertha said.

“Look, we could argue about this all day,” Darrel said. “Bertha, you get us real, solid proof that these flakes are coming from the factory and nowhere else, and then we’ll be happy to talk with you. But until then, goodbye.” He gave her a casual little wave, but Bertha did not move.

She leaned forward to rest her elbows on the table, trying to keep her voice steady. “You guys are the heads. Of. Council. You have got to stop living in this dream, where everything’s going great and the town’s this perfect picture of happiness, because it’s not. I know things have been pretty smooth for us before; you can ask anyone else who’s lived here since they were a kid and they’ll tell you the same. We’ve gotten away with hiding from the world for a damn good while, but now’s the time to come out. This factory is the perfect example. Out there,” Bertha stretched out her hand panning it across a general direction, “past our little farms and houses, is a world that’s moving forward. We can either step up and move along with it, or get sucked dry by assholes like them.”

“We’ve maintained amiable relations with Galactic so far,” Devon said. “Hell, they’re helping us. Without the twenty-grand bonus they pay us every year, we’d have gone bankrupt a long time ago.”

At this, Bertha lost all poise and control. She threw her head back and began to laugh, clutching her stomach as she gasped and shook. The men watched as she stumbled back, hit the door, and came back to the table, wiping her eyes.

“I really don’t see anything funny—” Devon began.

“Oh, look around!” Bertha cried. “That damn company is sucking us dry! Every year, when we’re supposedly getting our bonus, our streets crack and the houses rot on their foundations! I’ve been trying to get a Gym built here for months now. Months! Do you know what that means for me, being a Gym leader? It means that I have no facility. I have to conduct battles in a basement, for God’s sake! Trainers go through hell and back trying to find the place, and then they have nowhere to stay too, so I have to give them any extra room I can spare and give them the food off my own plate so they don’t starve! I wouldn’t mind it either, if it were necessary. But it’s not. Go to any Gym town in Sinnoh, and you’ll see huge, beautiful Gyms and luxury hotel rooms. And what do I have? Garbage!” She slapped the table, and let the silence hang for a moment.

“I don’t know what the hell you’re spending that money on, but if it’s more important to you than our town’s image and success, then please tell me what it is so I won’t have to waste my time on this anymore. Celestic’s been wanting a Gym standing for a while now. Maybe I should give ours to them.”

For the first time that morning, the three men exchanged a single glance.

“Galactic is eating right out of our plates,” Bertha pressed, “and we’re not doing anything about it. This ‘business deal’ you have going on is killing us. Not only that; it’s practically killing the Pokémon League. There hasn’t been a single Gym repair or full trainer scholarship since Galactic rose to power.”

“All right, so what do you want us to do?” said Devon. “You want us to go in there with torches and pitchforks? Maybe form a mob or some protest rally, demanding that they leave?”

“Diplomacy isn’t exactly working either, if you haven’t noticed already.” Bertha pulled out a stack of letters from her purse. The rubber band that held them together was pulled thin. “I’ve written to them a thousand times, and all I get are stupid delays; morons trying to bide time and stretch words.”

Darrel looked up at her, eyes narrowed. “Have you written to Thealus?”

“If the henchmen haven’t given me anything, what makes you think their boss will? Sure, I can spend the rest of my life writing to Veilstone, waiting month after month on some false hope that someone will hear me. But why should I? Galactic’s shown me that it can’t negotiate. Either that, or it doesn’t want to. Now, they can go to some other industrialized town and by all means spew their nonsense there. But not here.” She took a breath, and continued. “I want to settle this as peacefully as possible. I’m planning on starting a petition. If I get the signature of all the Gym leaders plus a backing from the Gym towns themselves, then maybe, just maybe, that old coot will hear us. By all means, I want Galactic and the League to coexist. Is it possible? I think it is. And maybe we can. But we’ll never know for sure if the only person trying to do something is me.”

She stepped back away from the table and crossed her arms, a gesture she hoped would tell the men that it was all up to them now. They looked to each other again, and whispered back and forth for a while.

Finally, they parted. Thomas was the first to look up. “All right. We’ll back your petition.”

“But I beg you, be careful!” Devon cut in. “We can’t make a public scene of this. These are very strenuous times, and if we make one wrong move, it could destroy us! Galactic is what’s moving the country forward, improving millions of lives, and if we throw mud at their image, the consequences could be disastrous!”

Bertha smiled. “Disastrous? Who the hell cares about some tiny farm town?”

//////

On the subject of Team Galactic’s boss, Thealus Blue, little is actually known. To Bertha, he is a faceless entity hiding behind a letterhead, as two-dimensional as the stamped logo of his corporation. To the rest of Sinnoh, he’s the inner mechanism of the Space Race, the mystical force that turns the wheels of progress.

The associates of Team Galactic never communicate with their boss, yet strangely, his presence can be felt everywhere. Behind the company’s logo is a story, they say, though the man who wrote it has been lost to the ages. The few who are lucky enough to be in daily contact with Blue are as tight-lipped as he himself.

Thealus Blue made one public statement in 1948, under a different name, while the Space Program was still in its first years of life. However, all recordings are now lost to history, and anybody seeking to contact him will get the address of a P.O. box in Veilstone, a bleak, dead end.

//////

“Hey! Sir, wait! Wait up!”

The crowds of the Eterna marketplace parted as a woman pushed her way through, leading with an arm stretched high over her face. In her hand she clutched a microphone, pathetically offering it to the air while she trudged through the tents and stands. A bulky cameraman trailed after her, and as they neared, all people within a ten-foot radius scurried away, baskets pressed to their chests. Their eyes lingered on the giant, gleaming device balanced on the man’s shoulder, and the speakers that protruded like menacing horns above the lens. As the woman plowed relentlessly forward, he scurried in her wake, shooting quick glances of apology to the people she shoved aside.

The woman paid them all no mind, for her hawk-like gaze was fixed on something in the distance. It captivated her whole attention, blocking out everything else around her. She was the image of exhaustion—skirt splattered with mud, hair disheveled, press badge hanging askew, and yet she still managed to hold onto a businesslike composure that set her apart as a professional. She waded through the crowd as if through water.

“Can you see him? Can you see him?” The cameraman strained to look over her shoulder.

“He went behind a stand,” said the woman. “Shit, this guy’s good.”

“You know, I think we’re being too obvious,” said the cameraman. He looked to the side, just as a group of shoppers turned away, muttering. “Can we at least lose the equipment? The camera just gives it all away.”

The woman shook her head. “No. He already knows our faces. We’ll just have to be fast.”

A man, seemingly from nowhere, presently stumbled onto the path with an armful of fruit. The woman wedged herself in front of him, bumping him against a pole.

“Move it!”

The man doubled over with a grunt, and the fruit spilled over into the dirt. The cameraman stepped around and hastily picked them up.

“Sorry! Sorry. She didn’t mean it. She’s usually really nice, it’s just that—“

“NED, GET OVER HERE!”

“Coming, coming! Here.” He shoved the fruit into the man’s hands and scurried off, leaving the unlucky patron to his own devices.

Ned hobbled over to the place where the woman was standing. They were at a crossroads within the marketplace, bordered on all sides by noise and movement.

“Nancy, how much longer is this gonna take?” said Ned. “My shoulder’s about to pop.”

“It doesn’t matter. He can’t run forever,” said Nancy.

“Well, neither can we...”

Nancy gritted her teeth. “We will if we have to. I don’t care if it takes the rest of the day. We’ll catch him.”

“We’ve been at this for half an hour, and all on the slim hope that this random guy will talk to us. But what if he doesn’t?”

“He will. Now will you help me look or not?”

They walked, and passed another booth. This one had a small circle of people around it, slowly growing. But despite the crowd, the salesman managed to lock eyes directly with Nancy. He waved.

“Hey, miss! Care to try the new Wonder Fish? Caught right here in Eterna, and only sixty cents a pound!” He held up a strip of pale meat.

Nancy bit her lip and kept walking. The best tactic to ignore a pesterer was to give them the cold shoulder. Once she affirmed that Ned was following along, she picked up the pace and began to search.

The market was nowhere near as packed as the city was, but it lacked an internal infrastructure, which made it all the more chaotic. What could have been a nice street block with sidewalks was a jumble of tents and stands, with people running about like ants in a hole. The grass was expired—uncut, and in some places, trampled down to dirt. But one of the things Nancy Bryan was good at was adapting, and adapt she would.

She panned across the scene, shielding her face from the light, trying to discern something among the hundred moving bodies. She had not seen the man’s face yet, but she had seen enough to pick him out of the crowd—tweed suit, hat, briefcase. A typical businessman, on a not-so-businesslike regime.

“Got him.” Nancy spoke without turning. The man had reappeared again, and was now retreating into a tent, the brown of his coat passing in and out of view. The briefcase, black and sleek, was held stiffly at his side.

The other shoppers—who either didn’t notice him or were too busy to care—moved out of his way as he literally cut a path through them.

“Where is he? I can’t see him.” Ned spun around in circles, bending under the weight of the camera.

“By the tent. Come on!” Nancy broke into a jog. She dodged her way through the tent, keeping the man in view. When she came upon him he was out in the open, slowing beside a meat booth.

Careful to stay quiet, Nancy jumped behind a nearby pile of crates. Ned followed suit, and they both peered over the top to get a better look.

The man had not noticed their approach. He was looking around at the stand, though he didn’t seem particularly interested in anything they were selling. He leaned over and muttered something to the salesperson, who chuckled.

Ned lifted the camera to his eye, closing in on the briefcase. “Whoa. Double-whammy. I wonder what he’s got in there...”

Nancy waved the camera away. “Not yet!”

Ignoring her, Ned continued to focus the lens. “No way. I’m getting shots of this.” The camera began to click.

At that moment, something in the man’s bearing changed. His shoulder’s stiffened, as if someone had blown cold air down on his neck. The man turned around slowly, and his eyes locked on the camera.

Nancy froze. A second later, she ducked back behind the crates, but by then it was too late. The man’s eyes widened, and then he walked off briskly in the opposite direction.

“You idiot!” Nancy slapped the camera away from Ned’s face. “He heard you!”

“Hey, relax! I just wanted a picture.”

Nancy rolled her eyes. She straightened, brushing crumbs of dirt from her skirt. “Fine. Let’s go.”

They started forward again, following the man’s beeline through the marketplace. He continued to stop at several booths along the way, and did the same thing at each of them — paced, looked around, and left without a word. And no matter how crowded it was, every time the crew approached, the man would turn his head to the exact spot where they stood, look at them for a few seconds, then disappear again. He moved swiftly, and even with all the effort in the world, still too quickly.

Nancy was exhausted. She began biting her lip again (which she swore she would never do again after a viewer had laughed at the red blotches), and pushed up the sleeves of her shirt periodically. Her eyes were restless, scanning the crowd for any sight of the man. Behind her, Ned paused frequently to rub his back, shifting the camera from one shoulder to the other.

When they finally overtook him, the man was well on his way towards the exit. Nancy ran up to the sidewalk, waving her microphone in the air like a flag. Her skin gleamed with sweat, and her hair stuck to her face and neck.

“Sir!” she called. “Wait!” The man turned around. The discombobulated crew of two pulled themselves up onto the sidewalk. Nancy scampered over, blocking the man’s path before he could leave. “Sir! Can I get a moment?”

The man looked up, a sneer turning his lips, as if it had all been some game of chase. Nancy ran a finger through her hair and flashed a smile.

“Hi! My name is Nancy Bryan, and I’m with Sinnoh Now. I’m on the hunt for everything that’s hip and happening all across the country. I’d like to take no more than two minutes of your time to ask you a few questions. Is it true that Team Galactic is building something in the Eterna factory?” She thrust the microphone into the man’s face, and he shook his head.

“No comment.” He turned to leave, but Nancy jumped in front of him again.

“What’s the nature of this project?” she pressed. “Is it a new piece of technology?”

“I said no comment.” The man continued walking. Nancy Bryan followed, her voice rising.

“Is it an electronic device of some sort? A computer? A—”

“Enough!” The man pushed the microphone away with his fist, just inches away from hitting Nancy in the nose. “And get that blasted camera out of my face! If you even think about putting this on TV, I’ll put a million-dollar lawsuit on your heads! You hear? Go home!”

Nancy watched him leave, her shoulders drooped. Forgetting her businesslike composure, she hung her head like a child, letting the microphone dangle from her hand. “Turn it off, Ned.”

The cameraman lowered the device and placed a lens cap over the camera’s gaping eye. “Hey, no worries. At least we tried.”

“Tried doesn’t cut it!” Nancy snapped up, turning to face her companion. She tightened her grip on the microphone. “What’s wrong with me? Everywhere I go I get spat on like some creature! The SNN reporters don’t get half as much bullshit as I do, and their stories are crap!”

“Calm down,” said Ned. “I’m sure we’ll find a good one if we keep looking. No offense, but Eterna’s not the best place you could’ve picked.”

Nancy glared at him. “Gee thanks. Thanks a bunch. That really makes me feel better, you know, especially after I drove twenty miles over here, no air conditioning, the sun baking my skin like a freakin’ toaster, having to fix two flat tires along the way, and dealing with you and Tom singing karaoke songs in the back!”

Ned raised both hands in defense. “Nancy, just be rational. Team Galactic obviously doesn’t want to talk to us. That’s not worth beating ourselves up over. There are a lot of good stories out there, and I don’t see a point in spending the rest of eternity chasing this one.”

“No! Don’t you get it?” Nancy said. “Team Galactic has never done an interview before. Never! Just think of the credit we’d get if we got just a one-page story about them. A single sentence, even. But they won’t fucking let us in! I hate that!” She doubled over, and her eyes spilled over with tears. Wet mascara ran down her cheeks in little gobs. “I hate this! I just... I’m just so sick... and tired of constantly having to accept junk! You know that? And when you keep accepting junk over and over and over again, that’s what you become. My life is junk.” She buried her face in her hands. Pretty soon, her sobbing could be heard from within.

Ned patted her back. “Come on. Don’t cry, Nancy. Your life’s not junk.”

“Yes it is!” Nancy wrenched out of his grip. “I am sick of you and Tom and Bobby always bugging me about doing some random story. Yeah, sure, I could give up and just do a report on a supermarket scandal, what will I be doing different from the other hundred networks out there? That’s right, nothing! If I can’t get people to talk to me like I’m normal and the SNN people can, then my life is pointless! I might as well just go back home and stay there with a paper bag over my head.”

“It’s just one story. I really don’t think SNN will care if we do something else. They’re not expecting us to break ground — they just want to see that we can support ourselves.”

“No!” Nancy said. “That’s the thing — they don’t expect us to break ground. They don’t expect us to do anything. They want to watch us fail, which we will, so they can buy our network and leave us broke.” Her voice cracked, and she spilled a fresh downpour of tears into her palms.

“Relax. We’ll keep trying. What’s the deadline again?”

“J-J-July t-twenty-fifth...”

“Okay. That’s more than enough time. We’ll just have to think of a better way to talk to these people. No offense, but I think you come on too...”

Nancy looked up before he could finish. Her face was blotchy and streaked with ruined makeup. “Too what?”

Ned chuckled. “Never mind.”

Nancy wiped her eyes and yawned. “All this heat is making me hungry. Let’s get something to eat before we go.”

They went back into the marketplace and found the Wonder Fish stand. The man was still selling, and by the looks of it, selling well. People stood on all sides with fish sandwiches, filets, and still more fish wrapped in foil. Nancy made her way to the front of the line and dropped a pile of coins onto the counter.

“Two sandwiches please.”

The man smiled. “Coming right up!” He withdrew and came back moments later with two sandwiches wrapped in paper. “Tell your friends!” he called as she walked away.

On their way out of the marketplace, Nancy peeled away the wrapping and took a bite of the white meat. It was soft and tasted like... fish.

“Wow, this is really good!” said Ned. “Better than Horsea, in my opinion. I wonder what it is.”

“Not now, Ned. We have to think. How are we going to get a scoop on that factory in a month?”

“I don’t know. We’ll have time to think about it, though, right?”

“The point of all this is not to wait till the last minute!” Nancy ripped another chunk from her sandwich and chomped it down. “We’ve tried writing, and that failed. We’ve tried live interview. Failed. What else is there?”

Ned shrugged. “I don’t know.”

“Don’t tell me there’s nothing left! I know for a fact that SNN is doing something else. They did a whole freaking segment about Fuego Ironworks. Fuego Ironworks, Ned. Those guys don’t just take live interview requests.”

“Are you kidding me? SNN practically snuck inside. There’s no other way they could have gotten pictures like that.”

All of a sudden, Nancy stopped. “Wait.”

“What?”

Nancy smiled. She looked north, where she could see faint puffs of smoke from over the trees.

“What are you looking at?” Ned pressed.

Nancy ignored him. “Come on. We have to meet the others.” She stopped beside a garbage can and threw her sandwich away before moving on.

That morning, a beat-up van had been parked on the curb by the marketplace. A logo, pasted in bold letters on the side, read: Jubilfe TV. The van was bulky and dirty, something that would be the subject of ridicule in most large cities, but here the sunlight gave its curves a pristine glow, a mighty symbol of innovation against the plain, undeveloped town.

Two men were leaning against the van’s side, sipping Coca Cola and staring absently into space. One wore a baseball cap, its visor lowered over his face. The second stared up at the trees. A cart with various sound equipment stood between them.

“This place is such a bore,” said the first man, lifting the visor to rub his eyes.

“Tell me about it. This place is practically a jungle. I haven’t seen this many trees in, like, ever.”

“More than Jubilife Park, you think?”

The second man took a sip from the can and waved his hand. “Nah, this place puts Jubilife Park to shame.”

Both men began to laugh. The moment was as fleeting as the breeze, and then they settled back into an awkward silence. The trees seemed to soak up every attempt at conversation, leaving nothing to do but stare at one’s shoes. Even the Starlies which they often spotted passed by without a sound, as if silence was a community rule.

“That’s it, I can’t take it anymore.” The man in the cap crushed the empty can in his fist. “I’m turning on some music.” He climbed into the van and started the engine. The radio came to life, and began to blast an upbeat song through the empty street.

He came around and slumped back beside the van. “That’s better.”

“Aw come on, that’s all that station ever plays. Be a man, would you?”

Bobby grinned. “Fine.” He went back to the van and turned the radio’s dial, scrolling through a string of random songs. He didn’t have time to settle on one, however, for when he stole a glance through the windshield, he saw Nancy and Ned coming up the road. Eterna was the only place in the world where you could cross the road without looking and not have to worry about being squashed.

“There they are!” He and Tom looked over as they approached. The pair looked as if they had walked for miles—their clothes were stained with dirt, and Nancy had two black lines streaking down her cheeks.

“Whoa, Nancy, what happened to your face?” said Tom.

“Later,” Nancy said. “Come on, we’re packing up. Get the sound equipment and put it in the back.”

Ned opened the van’s double doors and placed the camera inside its holder. Bobby and Tom lifted the cart.

“Well, did you get the story?” said Bobby. “Did that Team Galactic guy talk to you?”

“Not yet. But I have a plan.”

“What plan?”

“I’ll tell you as we go.”

Nancy climbed into the passenger seat and took a mirror and tissue from the glove compartment. She began to scrub her cheeks, succeeding in removing most of the mascara and leaving the rest in two circular smears. She’d take care of those later. Nancy dabbed her shoulders and chest, which had become moist with perspiration during her run.

As the rest of the crew climbed in the van, she cradled her head in her hands and took a slow, deep breath, a calming routine she had developed over many years in the business.

Relax. You can do this.

Tom closed the driver’s door and started the van. Nancy adjusted her mirror to check her hair. A-ok.

Behind her, the van’s window showed a slip of sidewalk sprinkled with leaves. Not long after the van pulled out of the curb, the figures of two boys could be seen strolling down the sidewalk.

//////

The fisherman’s stand was at the edge of the marketplace, an island surrounded by a small circle of people. Michael pushed his way to the front, and saw the man wearing an apron, holding up two wrapped packages.

“Two Wonder Fish sandwiches with lettuce? Anybody order two Wonder Fish sandwiches with lettuce?”

Someone held out their hands, and the man graciously exchanged the packages for a handful of bills.

When the man saw Michael, he grinned. “We meet again! I’m afraid if you want a sandwich, you’ll have to wait in line.” He indicated the mass of people in front of him.

“It’s okay,” said Michael. “We don’t want a sandwich. I was just wondering if you could give me one of those pokémon. Whole.”

The man’s eyes widened at the unusual request. “I’ll see what I can do, but you’ll have to wait in line.”

“But we don’t have — oh, fine.” Michael recognized a losing battle when he saw one. He edged himself into the mass of people, who struggled to arrange themselves in a line.

Apparently the meat was a hit. Everyone was leaving with two or more of those same sandwiches, happily eating them as they walked.

“That must be some meat,” said Henry. “I wonder what that pokémon was that he discovered.”

“That’s what we’re going to find out.”

Several minutes passed before they got to the front of the line. The man beamed down at them.

“So what did you want again?”

“One of those pokémon,” Michael repeated. “No sandwich or anything. Just whole.”

The man wrinkled his nose. “What for?”

“What does it matter? We’re paying for it,” said Henry.

“Well, I can’t argue with that logic... all right.” The man withdrew and came out with a large mound of tinfoil. “Tell your friends!”

“But of course.” Michael faked a smile and hurried off.

Henry caught up with him. “Where are we going now?”

“We’re going to make a call to Sandgem Labs.”

Henry gaped. “Why?”

“You’ll see. Come on.”

They hurried back to Bertha’s house and found a telephone in the living room. Michael bent down beside the table and picked up the receiver.

“How do you even know the lab’s number?” said Henry.

“You’d know a number too if your mother kept it pinned to the fridge for three years...” Michael turned the rotary dial and waited for the connection.

The phone rang, and a breezy female voice answered him. “Hello! You have reached the office of Sandgem Labs, pioneering the field of pokémon research since 1866, this is Rebecca speaking, how may I assist you?”

“Hello,” Michael said. “I have a report to submit to Dr. Emerson, concerning a sighting of a new pokémon.”

The clerk paused. “What is your name?”

“Cory... uh, Hershey.”

Henry snickered.

“I’m sorry Mr... Hershey, but we don’t accept tips like these from callers. If you’d like, I can mail you a form that contains the instructions for a proper submission.”

“No!” Michael said. “Look. This is an emergency.”

“I am sorry, again, but there is nothing I can do. Protocol is protocol.”

Michael took a moment to think. “Okay. Okay, so can you tell me something else? I understand that... ah, that there’s a summer program going on in the lab sponsored by the professor?”

“...Yes,” the clerk answered stiffly. “But registration has closed, I’m afraid, as the program is already in session—”

“Yeah, I get that. It’s just that I know someone who is currently in the program. His name is Leroy, and I have an important message for him. Do you, by any chance, know his number or something so I can call him?”

“Even if I did, giving a personal number out to a third party is strictly against our policy. I’m afraid you’ll have to look elsewhere for this Leroy.” With that, she hung up. Michael slammed the phone back down and groaned.

“Why did you want to talk to Leroy?” asked Henry.

“I wanted to get him to report this to the professor."

Henry picked up the phone. “Hang on. Let me try something. What’s the number again?”

Michael told him, and Henry dialed. And waited.

“Hello?” said Henry. “Yes. Hi, my name is Henry McPherson.” He hesitated, but he was obviously doing this for effect. “Sorry, I um, thought that the professor would pick up. See, I went to get my starter from him yesterday, and I noticed a problem with it, and the professor told me I could call him anytime to ask a question. So if you don’t mind... could you forward me to him?”

Michael lifted an eyebrow. Henry smiled and winked. Whatever he was doing, it was working.

A second later, he beamed. “Hi, professor! It’s me, Henry, remember? No? Well that’s okay. You’ll remember Michael.” He quickly handed the phone to Michael, who brought it to his ear.

“Uh... hello?”

The wheezy voice of Professor Emerson answered him. “Ah? Who is this?”

“It’s Michael Rowan. I have something important to tell you. It may change your life.” The professor paused. He didn’t hang up, so Michael continued. “See, while I was walking the other day by a river, I saw a weird pokémon. It was a Horsea, only it looked kind of different. Bigger, for one thing, and the meat was white instead of pink. Horsea meat is always pink, you know, so I knew it was a different pokémon.”

The professor seemed to be scratching his chin. “Did this pokémon have a longer, thicker snout, and were its fins larger?”

Michael opened the package. The description fit the bill. “Yep.”

“It’s a different pokémon. That’s a Seadra. They're native to Kanto, but they can be found in Sinnoh in a select few environments, as with Horsea.”

“Is there any relation between the two?”

“Somewhat,” said the professor. “Though their physical structures may seem different, there are significant similarities in their DNA that indicate a growth-evolutionary connection. Furthermore, the Seadra possesses a extra gene that is not present in Horsea, the purpose of which is not certain... but that’s too much to get into right now. I say it would be fine to use either in a battle. The Seadra does not present any powers significantly superior to the Horsea as far as we know. Good bye.” The professor seemed eager to hang up. Michael leaned back against the armchair.

“That guy sucks,” he said.

“What did he say?”

“Basically that it won’t make a difference if you use a Horsea or a Seadra—that’s the pokémon’s name—in a battle. Seadra's just an evolution of Horsea. They're rare to find here, so I guess people wouldn't have caught on much. Like that fisherman guy."

Henry shrugged. “So if Seadra's not from the chemicals, then what about Bertha's Roselia? Could that be an evolution too?"

“Uh, no,” Michael said. "Roselia doesn't evolve."

Henry paused. "Oh. Right."

"What I think," Michael continued, "is that Bertha's Roselia is different from Horsea and Seadra. It's not an evolution, really, but something else... something different." He looked down at his shoes. “I don’t know what it means for the battle, though.”

“Me neither.” Henry let out a breath. “Let’s just hope it can’t shoot missiles out of its hands.”

Last edited:

Mrs. Lovett

Rolling writer
... o_O

I saw your post and all I had to say was wow. That must have taken you hours to type (and I hope you did all right on your test, by the way; now I feel bad :s). I shall now reply to your comments! (This might be a bit unorganized, since I'm just reading your post from top to bottom and replying to your review.) Here we go!

-----

Unfortunately, the 'bottom of a lake' line wasn't foreshadowing. Michael was simply implying that he'd very much like to throw the pokeball into a lake and not have to deal with it anymore. It's not the most pleasant of things, but hey, it's Michael. (He'll change, of course, but this is how it all began :p)

The misshapen buildings are the outskirts of town, if you will, the underdeveloped parts that no one really cares to spend money on. Every place has those parts, after all, right?

The Stunky is a boy, by the way. I call the pokemon in my story 'it' because I follow the logic that pokemon are the equivalent of animals. (At least in the naming respect.) When you see a random squirrel or bird, for example, you'd say "It flew" or "It climbed up a tree". If you see someone with a dog, you'd refer to the dog as an 'it', unless you know that particular dog, its name and its gender. Then you'd say "Lassie was walking alongside her owner. She stopped to sniff a tree." etc. etc.

As for the hot blonde, she'll be back. That's all I'm saying.

The PokeDex entries are a little mixed up because, of course, this is a time when knowledge of pokemon powers is limited. (You mentioned somewhere down the line about the evolution problem, so I'll explain that right now.) General distinctions between species are recognized, and several correlations have been noted between species like Starly and Staravia, for example. Trainers have definitely noticed that their pokemon change form, but evolution is more of a gradual thing, not the giant light-explosion that happens in the games. (In most cases, but not all. This is very important.) When curious trainers take their evolved Starlies to a specialist, the specialist tells them that their pokemon is not, in fact, a Starly anymore, but a Staravia. And then the usual "How is this possible?"' "Is a Starly the same thing as Staravia?" begins. As Michael progresses in his quest for money and knowledge, more of this will come to light.

Another thing about the PokeDex: One thing I find funny about the games is that each generation builds upon the previous one, and yet the older games remain blissfuly unaware that there are more pokemon out there. (Back in the professor Oak games, there were 150 pokemon, but now there are over 600.) With every new generation come new pokemon, but for the sake of this fic, I'm going off of 4th-generation knowledge. Just in case by the time I'm finished they've added another 200 to the list.

The pokeballs in this fic are like the 1.0 version of the pokeball. They're not apricorn, since by the 1960s people could come up with something much more advanced than that, but they're still far from the ones of today's world. I took their design from the pokeballs that appeared in the Celebi movie. (Pokemon4Ever, I think.)

They got trolled with the Magikarp, that’s for sure. The Goldeen is beyond awesome because I cannot express my love toward Seaking enough. Just google image search “Seaking” to see what I mean. I can just imagine the grin on that guys face and the small tears of laughter in his eyes when he said “It knows a few water moves.” :D
Actually, he was telling the truth. Magikarp can't be completely useless as it is in the games, because I though that would be a little strange... I made Magikarp competent, but still somewhat floppy. Let's leave it at that.

Haha, confusion reverses orders. So if you tell your Chansey to use Softboiled when its confused does it heal the opponent? That was a cool touch, I was expecting Goldeen’s horn attack to fail but it did really well and lived up to my expectations. I can’t wait until it evolves. :3
I've always wondered that too, and I've always been upset when my pokemon got confused and instead of using a healing move it hurt itself :/ (Then again, if a pokemon already has its mind set on healing, won't the Confuse Ray just make it heal its opponent? Logically, it make sense...)

I'll have to explore that... (Holy crap, I think I just got an idea for a one-shot.)

As for Bertha, I characterized her as being a young grass-type trainer, but with that steely personality that (I hoped) would foreshadow a change in preference in her later years.

I absolutely refuse to speak about Michael and Patricia, though. My lips are sealed on that matter, and no amount of cookie bribes will make me change my mind. *shifty eyes*

However your Pokemon don’t seem to have much if not any personality besides Stunky who hasn’t really been mentioned for a while. Your Pokemon are just as much characters as the humans so make sure to develop them too.
I'm glad you mentioned the pokemon just now. Don't worry, I haven't forgotten about Stunky or any of the other guys that now form Michael's (and Henry's) team. Right now, Michael is really goal-focused, and sees his pokemon as things-that-will-get-him-what-he-wants. Likewise, he only sends them out when he needs them, which is to battle. Learning to spend time with his pokemon and actually paying attention to them is part of his character arc, and there will definitely be more of his pokemon in the chapters to come.

I think that's about all I wanted to say... Thanks for mentioning those little nitpick phrases, by the way. Now that I look over them, I see how they can be changed, and I'll get around to doing that after I post this. (It's weird, because I can literally feel the difference in my writing and mentality between my earlier chapters and my later ones.)

I'm really glad you're following this, and I hope you'll like what I have in store for this story :)