• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Roses and Chocolates: A Romance One-Shot Contest!

Saffire Persian

Now you see me...
Question: What if the 'romance' does not come into motion until a little later in the one-shot - as in, not right off. o.o' Like... a little less than 1/3 of the way through. Or something like that. And how prominent does the Romance have to be? Like... having a Adventure fic with romance in it, but not as full blown as Romance-centered Ash/Misty/orwhoever one-shots? Is that okay?

Draco Malfoy

-REaction
Question: What if the 'romance' does not come into motion until a little later in the one-shot - as in, not right off. o.o' Like... a little less than 1/3 of the way through. Or something like that. And how prominent does the Romance have to be? Like... having a Adventure fic with romance in it, but not as full blown as Romance-centered Ash/Misty/orwhoever one-shots? Is that okay?

Romance can come in motion in fics a little later, that's fine with me. They're called 'buidling-up' fics where Romance is more latent. In fact a lot of good Romance fics are building up fics. I know what you mean by 'full blown'. I hate those. They're cliched and bland, nothing new. Building up fics are some of the best examples of Romance. And yes, you can have other genres in your story such as Adventure, Comedy, etc. but Romance HAS to be one of the major genres of the story and be promient. I what I mean by 'promient' is that Romance is one of the major genres of the story, the readers can tell that it has Romance as either a genre/subgenre/subplot. The Romance Subeplot/Subgenre in Breezy and Saber's Hoenn and Kanto Adventure fics are good examples of what I mean by 'promient'. I hate those full-blown cliches, they are good examples of a story which Romance is the central most promient genre gone bad and written crapily. Some people like them but I don't. I love building-up and latent romance fics though. I also love stories where Romance is the central most promient genre but it MUST be written well. So go a head Saffire, now that you know by what I mean by promient.

EDIT:

Okay, Saber and Breezy's stories had Romance pretty promient but Romance was a minor genre compared to the other genres in their stories in their stories as they concentrated more on their major genres, Adventure, Action and Mystery. So may be a bit more Romance than them just to be on the safe side will be fine as this is a Romance One-Shot Contest where Romance is the main genre. Of course you asre more than welcome to have as much Romance as Saber and Breezu did; they used Romance fantastically but it is advisable just to do may be just a tad more than them just to be on the safe side. But it is really your choice. If you're confident you can pull the whole thing off well like Saber and Breezy, infusing it with other genres, then go a head but if you're not, it'll be more advisable to include may be a bit more Romance than Saber and Breezy in your stories. Really, it is up to your confidence in the genres, your skill in writing and your style and preference. I don't care as long as it doesn't break the rules and guidelines and it's well written Romance material! I'll be more than happy to read any fic with even the slightly amount of Romance in it IF (and that's a big 'if') it is well written.

Last edited:
I think I have just the thing. There is an Ash&Misty Romance Christmas one-shot I've been meaning to finish, yet for some reason, I haven't been able to do so. Maybe with the inspiration of doing it for this contest, I just might pull it off.

Brian Powell is very familiar with my work, so he knows how good of a romance writer I am. In fact, your bound to find that in EVERY fic I write, highly centered as well.

I've never completed a one-shot, sadly. It seems that I have more of an inspiration to finish chaptered fics than one-shots I guess.

Hopefully I can have my Ash&Misty Romance Christmas One-shot done in time. As many know, I am busy with other works.

Well, here's hoping I can pull it off. :)

See ya later. ^_^

Rani Fernleaf

Innocent Sarykins
Question: Must the romance be the AshxMisty sort, with nudges an' winks an' shy laughter galore? Why not just 'love'? As in, platonically?

I felt that that would give us a wider range.

~Mist~

revolutionary~
Ah, this contest gives me a great chance to get back into writing! I haven't written anything in quite a while but, most of my reviewers do know I specialize in the area of romance comedy stories. Plus, they'll be thrilled to see another work of mine. XD

Perhaps I could write an original romance since I've been dying to get my ideas to fully expand. I know exactly what kind of story to write with my own original characters.

Otherwise, I like this idea. Romance is my favorite genre of all although I someitmes place comedy in there for fun. The judges all sound great to me, and I respect all of you. I especially look forward to the competition here since there are a wide range of romance writers. I'll try my very best for this contest.

Best of luck to all!

Draco Malfoy

-REaction
Question: Must the romance be the AshxMisty sort, with nudges an' winks an' shy laughter galore? Why not just 'love'? As in, platonically?

I felt that that would give us a wider range.

It doesn't have to be the typical Ash x Misty with the nudges, winks and shy laughter. People expresses their attraction towards another person in many different ways. For example, some people like Daisuke from Digimon 02 are BLANDLY crushing on Hikari and he always woos her sayd he loves her,m etc. His way of expressing his attraction to her is right-in-the-face. Of course for most people, it is with the blushing, feeling warmer, being protective, etc. Really, it's up to you HOW you show the characters like each other but I'm 85% sure the 'love' musn't be all platonic, at least not on one-side (hence one-sided love). I'll ask the other Judges. Really Rani, it looks like you haven't been reading Romance lately, the genre is most specifically for attractions and non-platonhic love (well at least it is that way now).

Ryano Ra

Verdant Vitality
*comes in with cat in hand* Meow. meow. Nyo-nyan meow owww meowww.

*car drives by and steals her again* Nuuuuuuu, my baby! ;.;

*cries* *blinks* Yeah, I skipped both of the contests -- maybe I'll put in an entry. Though, I might not have the time--teachers are striking, and I haven't started school yet and don't plan to for the next couple of weeks (stubborn teacher unions). But I am working on this huge...thing...hopefully, I can enter a contest and at least try. ;.; *chases car*

Ledian_X

Don Ledianni
Yeah! People are interested already! Now I’m starting answering those questions and enquiries! (Puts on a pair of glasses and pretends to look posh)

Burnt Flower: I’ll be looking forward to reading your entry Burnt Flower!

Arcanine Royale: Don’t worry, we’ll give feedback. It’s our job.

IceKing: GOOD LORD! (Has a slight seizure). Nah, just joking. And yes, one sided Romance is still Romance; of course it’s allowed!

Bay: So a Beta Reader? Okay, you can have it betaed but on three conditions. The Beta Reader does not reveal ANY part of the story to anyone else without your permission, have only ONE Beta Reader and the Beta Reader must NOT post it on the SPP. Other than that, yep, you may have it betaed. A Drama/Romance fic eh? Don’t worry if it’s more Drama than Romance, those two go REALLY well hand in hand anyway but Romance should still be pretty prominent and one of the main genres of your fic.

Ledian: First Person’s fine. But it still must be Romance!

Wow! Lots of CRACK PAIRINGS! (i.e. Human x Pokemon, Pokemon x Pokemon.) One of the potential Fifth Judges is going to be very pleased.

Don't worry, my friend. It'll be like "Pete and Mary Jane who?"

Just need a cool title and I'm gonna start this week. Oh and since we can't have sex...which can be done tastefully. How steamy can we get?

LX

Last edited:

Typhlogirl

keep battling on!
Hmmm...I might enter. I've never actually been much of a pokemon shipper, but there is one couple I particularly like. I have always wanted to write a fic about them, so if I remember, I'll enter.

:p

-;157;

Ash_Junior

Irredeemable Nerd
first entry!!!!

w00tage!

I'm entering "Sway with Me" my AAM2RN (most original pairing--er....tripling--ever!!!!).

the preliminary version is here:

http://serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=140514

still a little bit of touch-up work to do before it's ready to be judged, but be ye aware that I had the first actual entry!

:D

IceKing

Sexorific!
Just need a cool title and I'm gonna start this week. Oh and since we can't have sex...which can be done tastefully. How steamy can we get

I have to ask that same question. Though my entry won't have any sexual scenes in it, I plan on making the narrative as hundred times as fiery and erotic as any pelvic thrust

Typhlogirl

keep battling on!
I have to ask that same question. Though my entry won't have any sexual scenes in it, I plan on making the narrative as hundred times as fiery and erotic as any pelvic thrust

I'm going to have to third that notion. Just how much sexuality can be in the writing? Is Kissing the max, or can we go a little further to touching and stuff?

Obviously not too extreme, but I'd like to know the limits.

-;157;

Timid Kyogre

Endangered Creature
Hmm...this does sound interesting XD I think I might give it a try...if I don't go all lazy ._.

Just making sure...it doesn't have to be Pokemon-related, right? XD

~Timid Kyogre

Brian Random

I WAS FROZEN TODAY!!
Hello, all.

Firstly, Masterwannabe, you've missed out two of my romance one-shots: 'When You Say Nothing At All' and 'Lovely Day'. How could you forget? >_< And why am I the only sane person here? T_T

Secondly, I'm impressed by a number of people who (and I hope) are going to participate in this contest. I know a few guys that are writing their romance fics, and I'm familiar with them. Despite the familarity and the friendships, I hope they do well in this contest because I'm a difficult judge to impress. I know me but I don't know about the other guys. I wish you guys the best of luck. ^^

katiekitten

The Compromise
o_O I go for three days and a contest pops up! I should dissapear more often... XD

I would love to enter, a contest will actually get me to get myhelp me get my butt in gear and start writing again, and Romance is something I only tried once, three years ago, in the form of a play. XD Before I was any good at writing. So I'd love to have a real go. =D

November 20th, hmm? I should be able to do it... =D

...Don't expect me to get first place, or anything. Last is a nice place... XD

Last edited:

Jo-Jo

blows stuff uhup
*waves* Hellooo. :) Thought I should pop in to say hi since I'm one of the judges. By which I mean masterwannabe made me. :p Kidding. I'd be happy to help answer all the questions you have about the contest. I'll be making the answers up on the spot and masterwannabe will inevitably have to correct me, but I'll try nonetheless. :p

Draco Malfoy

-REaction
I'm going to have to third that notion. Just how much sexuality can be in the writing? Is Kissing the max, or can we go a little further to touching and stuff?

-;157;

Allow me to Quote a part of a PM I sent to Ledian when he asked the same question.

I still go to consult the other Judges on that but just know that Limey content SKATES ON THE THIN ICE of the border between Ratings R and NC-17. And NC-17 is not allowed ^^;. So as Rating R is as furtherest as you can go, it is advisable to stay off the Lime until I can those sacred, oh so precious responses from the other Judges.

So I am yet to get the other Judges oppinion including our newest dashing Fifth Judge who will post and reveal to the world who she is. Yes, the Fifth Judge is a she. But until I get the others' oppinions, I advise you don't go all the way down to VERY dangerous Limey content (i.e. No Oral Sex). I guess midly, not so explict Limey stuff is allowed though. I still have to get the other Judges' oppinion on the matter.

Katiekitten, you're no rubbish material. I think you're a good author. But like Brian Powell said, we're not going to go easy on you contestants.

Brian Powell, sorry I missed those two. You sure wrote a lot of Romance One-Shots though. And that's a good thing. :)

What the heck, I'll enter. I've never actually written a romance fic before, but I'll enter non-the-less. In fact, I might've already started my entree. I might just enter a Brockshipping fic I've already started, which is great, since it's based around Christmas time. Then again, maybe I'll just start up something new.

Quick question here: are song-fics alowed? My Brockshipping story is sort of a song-fic, so that can't be changed, so if song-fics aren't allowed, I'll just start up a new fic.

Brian Random

I WAS FROZEN TODAY!!
I’m going to answer these without giving too much away...

Saffire Persian said:
Romance fics that are mixed other genres doesn’t have to start in a romantic way, they can be started in various ways, for example: if you’re writing a comedic/romance fic, you can start with something funny but keep in mind, this is a romance one-shot contest, so we expect your one-shots to more romantic type than anything else. If you’re going for romance/other type fics I think either ¼ or 1/3 of any other genre should be enough.

Rani Ferleaf said:
No, it doesn’t have to be a Ash x Misty sort. Romance can be expressed in many ways, such as kissing and a teary hug between couples.

Typhlogirl said:

Kissing while touching is the maximum I think for a non R rated fic as long the person is not touching the opposite sex’s private parts. *Wonders if other anyone understood* ^_^; If you want, you can describe how passionate the kiss is while holding a person close by hugging or gently clasping them by the face, etc.

Fez said:
Quick question here: are song-fics alowed? My Brockshipping story is sort of a song-fic, so that can't be changed, so if song-fics aren't allowed, I'll just start up a new fic.
I would like to see that.

Jo-Jo

blows stuff uhup
I think you're allowed to be pretty steamy with an R-rating. You can even have sex scenes so long as they're sufficiently euphamistic. Though I think this contest specifically disallows those anyway.