• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rotom-Dex is soo annoying now!!

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
It seems i have reached the point where Rotom's affection has reached maximum. Meaning in wont stay quiet every time it reappears after you: finish a battle, close any menus, saved ghe game or walk to a new screen and it was black during transition.

It literally is self aware now because it starts messages with "Here's where i give you advice you didn't ask for zzt."
I'm so annoyed at the fact he rarely stops with these frequent 5 second messages and admits that the player didn't ask for them.
Why didn't Game Freak realise how annoying this is and add a option to turn his messages off.
But it's unlikely since they are focused on nintendo switch.

Last edited:

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
“I miss Hau. We should get him a malasada!”

Pokefan_1987

I miss when rare pokémon were actually rare. So, please no Rotom phones anymore.
Yeah i want it gone instead of a Rotom styled menu again including not used in the upcoming Sinnoh remakes.

We really need a new update to tone down his interactions. Losing the map or not getting the map because you tried to zoom in and rotom would rather talk and replace it with excessive advice like a "self aware" jerk.

Not fun... but still a good game.

Last edited:

nel3

Crimson Dragon
LOL, this is freaking hilarious!!! im so glad ignored the rotom dex in both games. the sun rotom is basic but UM is just annoying af heck... i learned that you just need to ignore it completely unless the game forces you to interact with him. UM version tries to talk to me when i boot the game up once a day and then shuts up. i dont recall if it asks for a pic of newly evolved mons as i havent evolved one for quite some time but UM rotom in my case has depression :)

i wonder what would happen if a max happiness USUM rotomdex were to be completely ignored. would it just sit on a cahir alone in the corner?

Edit, i just evolved a bulbasaur in UM and rotom dex didnt ever try talking to me :).

Last edited:

Pokefan_1987

LOL, this is freaking hilarious!!! im so glad ignored the rotom dex in both games. the sun rotom is basic but UM is just annoying af heck... i learned that you just need to ignore it completely unless the game forces you to interact with him. UM version tries to talk to me when i boot the game up once a day and then shuts up. i dont recall if it asks for a pic of newly evolved mons as i havent evolved one for quite some time but UM rotom in my case has depression :)

i wonder what would happen if a max happiness USUM rotomdex were to be completely ignored. would it just sit on a cahir alone in the corner?

Edit, i just evolved a bulbasaur in UM and rotom dex didnt ever try talking to me :).
Depends on interactions in the game. Rotom becomes chatty after big events like defeating a trial, stopping Ultra Necrozma or becoming a Champion.
It would take a really absurdly long time for a maxed out Rotom Dex to shut up.
I'm at the point where just wish i could hack the game code just to remove that stupid. "Here's where i give you advice you didn't ask for zzt."

The only reason he has high affection since i did endup using the Roto Loto to get the egg hatching and experience boosting powers similar to the O-Power from Gen 6 ORAS and X/Y. He occasionally also spins around the screen or makes faces trying to make kids laugh but these jokes feel dumb for an adult like me.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I don't mind it, I think most of the tips he has are actually quite helpful for a lot of players, and I've seen them all so much now I don't even notice anymore when he's talking. It's not interrupting the game anyway, you can still do whatever while he's chatting. And the Roto Loto is so much better than the stupid ORAS O-Powers that were hidden behind four or so layers of menus and that you had to wait ages for to recharge. Use a Capture power, then look for rare pokémon. Didn't find one in time because DexNav never finds anything, it runs out, and then you have to wait ages doing nothing before you can use Capture power again, Roto catching power you can just activate during battle and for the ones you activate outside of battle it even offers to immediately use another one if the previous one runs out. If I have to use the map while he's talking I just fast-track the chat to make it done quickly, and PokéDex you can just access through the menu.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
Depends on interactions in the game. Rotom becomes chatty after big events like defeating a trial, stopping Ultra Necrozma or becoming a Champion.
It would take a really absurdly long time for a maxed out Rotom Dex to shut up.
I'm at the point where just wish i could hack the game code just to remove that stupid. "Here's where i give you advice you didn't ask for zzt."

The only reason he has high affection since i did endup using the Roto Loto to get the egg hatching and experience boosting powers similar to the O-Power from Gen 6 ORAS and X/Y. He occasionally also spins around the screen or makes faces trying to make kids laugh but these jokes feel dumb for an adult like me.
I like the O powers more. I hate interacting with him and you get RNG to have a power from him. At least o powers you know how and when you will come across them. I just chose to play the game completely ignoring him and those powers. I'd say I'm rather happy with that descision I made. I hated the segments where it was mandatory to interact with him." Yeah yeah finish your god damned spiel and shut up after that," That's my thought process when I came across those parts.

It's funny the sun moon version of him wasn't horrible, annoying at best but not ideal. They made the wrong choice to give him more functions in USUM.

Last edited:

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I just chose to farm the roto powers, RNG doesn't matter since I ended up with over a hundred of all of them by the time I reached the league because it rolls so often. O Powers are just a lot less user-friendly because there is always the waiting time to recharge and it takes longer to reach the menu for them. Sure initially it's a small time investment to farm them but O Powers you also have to spend a lot of time using them a lot, waiting for them to recharge, using them a lot more, etc. before you get the good high tier ones (which also take longer to recharge), Rotom only has the highest level.

Last edited:

Pokefan_1987

ORAS O-Powers that were hidden behind four or so layers of menus and that you had to wait ages for to recharge. Didn't find one in time because DexNav never finds anything, it runs out, and then you have to wait ages doing nothing before you can use Capture power again.

It's not that hard to find. On the PlayNav screen on boot up press play with others. Press the white calendar then one press on R1 and the O-Powers are available. 4 Presses arent much. But on average the O-Power requires 3 minutes of downtime depending on the level used last. In ORAS I just plow through the wild pokemon in either the Victory Road Entrance or use them during Elite 4. The battles are long enough to use repeatedly.

Same thing for X Version, except if online you get a lot of short questions from the game such as if you want to make a shoutout. That's why i let the game sit of the pokemon amie screen and get flooded with gifts. X Version is annoying when your high level 100 pokemon like Greninja and Zapdos don't want to do super secret training levels, but legendaries like Yveltal and Xerneas have no complaints.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
i couldnt bother trying to farm the roto powers and i used up whatever i did get just to burn them off. if it meant that rotom getting uber annoying then skipping out on rotom powers worth it.

the screens behind the 0 powers were annoying but you had a predictable if not patient method. its great the o powers lasted a long battle rather than just 3 minutes.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I actually like the Rotom Dex. I think it is interesting how possessing a handheld computer gave Rotom the ability to speak freely and in its own voice without having to mind control someone to do it . That is extremely rare to find in the entire franchise outside of Meowth. All the Pokémon that can speak normally by moving their mouths are Slowking from Power of One, Chatot to a certain extent, the Maiden’s Peak Gastly, and possibly Arceus since it’s a deity. Manaphy is a special case as it was never made clear if it could always speak like a human given all it ever said was “Mama” and “Love You” which it could have also been picked up after imprinting May as its mother and just imitating what she said.

Pokefan_1987

I actually like the Rotom Dex. I think it is interesting how possessing a handheld computer gave Rotom the ability to speak freely and in its own voice without having to mind control someone to do it . That is extremely rare to find in the entire franchise outside of Meowth. All the Pokémon that can speak normally by moving their mouths are Slowking from Power of One, Chatot to a certain extent, the Maiden’s Peak Gastly, and possibly Arceus since it’s a deity. Manaphy is a special case as it was never made clear if it could always speak like a human given all it ever said was “Mama” and “Love You” which it could have also been picked up after imprinting May as its mother and just imitating what she said.
Still if Rotomdex didn't have such a high-pitched voice in the english dub and talked less frequently he could've been tolerable.