• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rotom's Wish (884)

Archangel Azazel

Fallen Angel
This episode had me asking a lot of questions. It was nice, but the questions bugged me a lot to really enjoy it.

Like Maldread said, yes the Butterfly Effect. I was actually bothered that after all is done and done, there's a picture of them with the owner in the past, they go to the ceremony and well, the question is what happens after? What if the Owner noticed they were there again after those 10 years?? Same outfit, age, etc.

Eh, well the episode was nice though, although questions remained *^*
6/10

When I first heard that Rotom would be appearing again, I was hoping Ash would catch it. He needs a Ghost Pokemon & it wouldn't hurt to have a spare Electric Type.

Pokegirl0102

i have always found Rotom to be one of the most interesting pokemon, especially because of its typing, i was hoping someone in the group would finally catch one, and am i the only one who wishes for hyper beam to go back to being yellow the new one looks like dark pulse or something, and this is how enjoyable an episode can be without Team Rocket being shoved into it

Last edited:

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
The repair bill for the battle 10 years ago was starting to get expensive. I lol'd when the owner's Rotom began bringing in different forms to the battle because once that happened then there becomes no way for the bad guy to win anymore. (dramatic pause) It was if the criminals were trying to battle the hotel itself.

I would have liked to have seen more done with the time traveling elevator but that would have just made matters exponentially more complicated I guess.

For the picture at the end I have a theory: For Ash, Rotom and company it shows what really happened because they are the only ones aware of the whole story. The picture may not "appear" the same to any other living thing.
(or something like that)

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I really didn't like Mantle..... at all. He should have been sent to prison like most human antagonists along with his pals.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
This episode made less sense than the plot of Kingdom Hearts.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Welcome to my special corner, where I begin to list the really strange stuff of this episode:

1) Officer Jenny didn't exist 10 years ago, or the hotel owner was more stupid than a coward.

2) Absolutely no one in the hotel of the past even tried to call the police.

3) The villain was really hamming it up, just like that evil pervert scientist from Clemont's episode.

4) Who the hell builds a prestigious hotel in the middle of nowhere where there isn't a city nearby?

5) Unfortunately, the past hotel owner was cheating anyway. It would be a boon to freely change Rotom forms in the middle of a battle.

6) Holy crap! What's coming out from those doors?! x3

7) Rotom's 10-year silence with his owner was uncalled for. THERE IS SOMETHING CALLED POLICE. HAVEN'T YOU LEARNED THAT?

8) The most normal point of all but still weird in another episode that wasn't this one: the group doesn't do any action sans Pikachu turning three people charred black.

9) Oh, and of course, a Rotom that can SOMEHOW go back in time through an elevator and can affect the past? Dear goodness, that's like the most spectacular finding of the year.

Yeah, if you couldn't tell, I couldn't take this episode seriously with a straight face. If it had been fanfiction material like that radio Goldenrod episode, I would...a bit.

Last edited:

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Was hoping someone's performance in the dub could make this episode somewhat salvageable, that didn't happen. Alyson sounded like she had fun though haha.

Stay bad episode lol.

Lady Umbreon

I enjoyed it mostly because it reminded me of my favorite episode ever, "Time Warp Heals All Wounds." I admit some parts didn't make sense (why weren't guests scared off by the filthy lobby?) but it was nice to see Clemont show that he really is an Electric-type expert.

The time travel surprised me but it sorta had a logic to it. Rotom is a Ghost with control over motors. Ghosts are associated with sorrow and regret; maybe Rotom can use powerful emotions to make motors do impossible things.

I have a theory that during the original timeline Mantle made ties with a larger criminal outfit. They would keep the hotel in guidebooks and erase any bad reviews (and maybe even keep the police away) in exchange for stolen Pokemon.

Last edited:

Vipsoccermaster

A fine episode, but it does raise many questions about the episode. Maybe during that time, they just didn't have that kind of thing back in "10 years." Maybe all this is happening in the 1950s. Just to show the anime does not follow the real-time logic of technology. Oh well, Pokémon logic is something we'll never understand.

Anyway, it was nice to see Rotom here and not have Team Rocket appear for once. Mantle and his two partners is like a substitute for Team Rocket, but eh.

Pikachu52

It's got to be one of the most pointless episodes in the series so far. All it seemed to be was an showcase of Rotom spamming Korkodile with super powerful moves by changing form. I'm not sure why the XY writers choose to showcase Rotom given that we've already had an episode featuring Rotom on both BW and DP (and the BW episode is much better than this). Rotom isn't even a Gen VI Pokémon. The plot line was relatively weak. It's never explained how Rotom is able to transport Ash and friends back in time given only Celebi and Dialga are supposed to have this power. It's a shame because the idea of a creepy man taking people's Pokémon if they loose a battle with him could actually have made a very moving plot, especially if he had gone through with the threat he made to Ash and Pikachu at the start.

4/10

It might have worked better without the time travel element. Rotom and the Hotel manager could have just made it up to each other and kicked the man out of the hotel by battling him in the present. There wasn't a real need to have Ash, Pikachu and the others travel back in time. And they seemed to gloss over the fact that they travelled through time as well. Neither Ash or Clemont questioned it, Bonnie just thought it was fun and only Serena seemed disturbed by it. You'd think Clemont would have had more to say given his interest and knowledge of science.

Well, now we can add alternate timelines to pokemon.

In fairness they have had time travel and alternate timelines in the anime before. There's an episode called Time Warp Heals All Wounds in the Battle Frontier Series where May and Meowth magically travel back in time to prevent a man named Jonathan boarding a train and leaving his wife to become a doctor, which drastically changes the future. And in Pokémon Chronicles episode Celebi and Joy, Richie travels back in time and similarly alters the past by preventing a boy being killed in a landslide. In both cases the future becomes radically altered and the entire town/city where the episode was set changes as a result. This episode isn't really that different to either of those it's just not as interesting (at least those to episodes had more emotion in them).

Last edited:
This was a very good episode. Definitely one of my favorites in this season so far.

Lady Umbreon

I'm not sure why the XY writers choose to showcase Rotom given that we've already had an episode featuring Rotom on both BW and DP (and the BW episode is much better than this).

The hotel was supposed to be the Lost Hotel, hence Rotom popping out of a green trash can. The episode must have taken place on a Tuesday.

Orton155

Pokemon Enthusiast
This episode was strange to say the least but thank you Lady Umbreon above reminding me it was the lost hotel.

So basically Rotom felt guilty for running away at it's trainer's time of need and instead of solving it in the present, it turned a lift into a time machine to go back 10 years to correct it wrongs (with Clemont's help). Even though the episode was really farfetch'd I did like the showcase of some of the Rotom formes.

Ok episode, onto the next one!

nickdt

Pros:
That bully got what he deserved.

Cons:
Ash being surprised Krookodile is so strong (Hello, Ash, you have a Krookodile).

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
This episode did have a lot of plot holes and dealt with time travel with the continuity awareness I'd expect from, say, Hot Tub Time Machine. However the idea of gambling with pokemon is actually quite a good one to create a genuinely threatening antagonist.

Pikachu52

This episode did have a lot of plot holes and dealt with time travel with the continuity awareness I'd expect from, say, Hot Tub Time Machine. However the idea of gambling with pokemon is actually quite a good one to create a genuinely threatening antagonist.

It's just a pity they didn't really didn't do anything with it. Only one trainer was shown to have lost his Pokémon and Ash managed to run away before they could touch Pikachu. Interestingly enough Team Rocket did something similar in one of the early AG episodes.

I wonder if that one guy saying that he had his Pangoro for 20 years was supposed to be a nod to the franchise turning 20 years old in February?

Meh, probably not. Probably just wishful thinking on my part.

Absketchum

Loved the display of Rotom's forms & its super effective moves on Krookodile, also electric immunity for ground types was displayed well..

Pikachu52

Thinking about it again I've just recognised that this episodes seems to fall into what Science Fiction writers call the Hitler's murder Paradox - If Ash and his friends travelled back in time to stop Yolton from taking over the hotel by helping Rotom win it's battle, then it erases the need for Rotom to send them back in time in the first place. Hence the question is why did they travel back in time in the first place. This is actually a problem with the two other main time travel episodes in the anime, "Time wrap heals all wounds," and "Celebi and Joy." In all three of the episodes apparent illogicality this seems to get glossed over and goes unchallenged when in reality it actually defeats the whole plot. The only thing that saves it is the parallel universe theory that suggests altering events in the past creates a parallel universe in which the future is different. Perhaps the anime should stop dabbling in Science-Fiction themes. The idea would have worked fine without the time travel element - This has made me realise how silly the episode was.

Last edited: