• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Round One - Begin! (077)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Round One - Begin!

It is the first Round on the Water field. A 3 on 3 Pokémon battle against a Trainer called Mandy who has a Golbat, Seadra and Exeggutor. Can Ash defeat this trainer or will he be knocked out in the first round

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

Lupin

Legendary Pokémon Coordinator
I find it really werid that I can remember this episode word for word. My favorite league episode since Krabby evolves in it.

F

Factory Head Noland

This was on Toonami yesterday, I was surprised to see Kingler using Hyper Beam against Golbat.

M

meggirl63

Oh, remember the part where Ash runs into Gary? Well, I happened to have seen a pic of Gary with a crown with the 'Winner' banner in the background. HOW ADORABLE!!!!!!

H

Hales

I found Gary to be annoying in this episode, but I loved how little Krabby defeated Exeggutor... and then evolved into Kingler, and then became undefeated!

I also love how Ash ran over and gave Kingler a big hug after the match... so sweet!

Alfonso

Derpgull
Ash totally had Beginner's Luck in this episode. There is NO WAY that an unexperienced League Battler can totally, and I mean, TOTALLY smash a League Favourite (Who is an experienced battler, at that.) apart. Hence why I was annoyed by how the battle went. It would have been better if Ash had had a little trouble beating Mandy... maybe Pikachu and Squirtle could have been beaten by Exeggutor, only for Krabby to win it for him. That's how it *should* have gone in my opinion... it would have added a little danger to the situation. ("OMG Ash is gonna lose because he only has, like, ONE POKEMON left!") Instead, we see a Pokemon that has never fought before in a battle against three EXPERIENCED, kick-a*s Pokemon, who all got beaten by said unexperienced Pokemon. -_-

Oh, and Mandy is one of my favourite One-Shots. Totally awesome. So I'm bound to have a *little* bias. n.n;

Phantom_Bugsy

So hot he's on fire.
Alfonso said:
Ash totally had Beginner's Luck in this episode. There is NO WAY that an unexperienced League Battler can totally, and I mean, TOTALLY smash a League Favourite (Who is an experienced battler, at that.) apart. Hence why I was annoyed by how the battle went. It would have been better if Ash had had a little trouble beating Mandy... maybe Pikachu and Squirtle could have been beaten by Exeggutor, only for Krabby to win it for him. That's how it *should* have gone in my opinion... it would have added a little danger to the situation. ("OMG Ash is gonna lose because he only has, like, ONE POKEMON left!") Instead, we see a Pokemon that has never fought before in a battle against three EXPERIENCED, kick-a*s Pokemon, who all got beaten by said unexperienced Pokemon. -_-

Oh, and Mandy is one of my favourite One-Shots. Totally awesome. So I'm bound to have a *little* bias. n.n;

Dude. Being biased on favorite trainers ROCKS. Unless it's Ash or Misty. *shot* >3

But I wish I could see this ep again. Last time I saw it, I was like....11. And I kinda missed most of it even then. I wanna see Mandy. He was so flamboyant. XD

Jesse GS the II

I was frozen today!
I only saw this episode once, but one aspect of it really bugged me. You all can certainly figure out which aspect I mean. For crying out loud, he left the thing in Oak's lab for OVER A YEAR, and it participates in ONE BATTLE and it INSTANTLY EVOLVES?!? Even back when I actually liked this show, that irked me.

M

Magi of all

I seriously memorized this episode. I taped it on Kids WB and watched it like 15 times, I could repeate the episode by heart for many years, I can still spout out most of the episode.

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
I miss Kingler. And we don't know how much practice it had at Oaks- it could have had a lot of training!

DANdotW

Previously Iota
For all we know, it could have been a strong Krabby before Ash caught it. Not knowing its past and not knowing what goes on at Oak's lab could surely mean that we can't critisise Kingler. For all we know, it might have battled with Muk and/or Tauros, therefore making it stronger. Never underestimate the underdog, they always get you where it hurts.

Lupin

Legendary Pokémon Coordinator
Magi of all said:
I seriously memorized this episode. I taped it on Kids WB and watched it like 15 times, I could repeate the episode by heart for many years, I can still spout out most of the episode.

As I said eariler on, I know it word for word literly.

V

vulpix

everytime i see a pokemon evolve i get all excited just like when Krabby evolved into Kingler.i got all excited.

B

Blue_Poliwhirl24

I just loooooooooooooooove this episode featuring the first round in the Indigo League. Kingler just kicks a** and Ash's opponent was just stunned, hehe ^^*. Kingler is one of my fave Pokémon so I just dig this episode! =)

Z

Zen

I loved this episode, it was a great combat and I love Kingler, but you're right, an unexperienced Krabby beats 3 pokemon and evolves, what level was Krabby when Ash caught him?

B

Blaziken master

You have to wonder why Ash never uses Kingler much in battle..

M

Monster

I loved this battle, it was the best in the whole Indigo League. Kingler is one of my favorite of Ash's Pokemon, and this episode shows it's stregth. Mandy seems like he was Gay to me, but a lot of people disagree. Kingler sweeped Mandy, I was surprised how Kingler knew Hyper Beam, it was awesome!

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Ash's battling in this episode was pretty good, considering that I think he really should have used Pikachu, who had the advantage over all of Mandy's pokemon. At least his faith in Krabby/Kingler proved to be for the greater good, since Krabby ended up evolving and owning the match. One thing, though: since when is flying super effective against water? I don't remember my flying types having any natural advantage.

I also love the part where Ash says he's not just some twerp and Jessie calls out "Hey, twerp!" :D