• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

RPG forum is getting killed

Bladewing

Chase Your Dreams
mabye adding 2 subsections, one where you cn post ideas an see what people think, and another where you can post infomation, pictures about a place yur going to repeatedly use in a rpg

The Doctor

Absolute Beginner
MAKE AN EFFORT? Us older kids usually do make an effort. You know as well as I that everyone will have a different view on what an effort is. They could try their very best, and a mod will come along and say its ****. Thus, causing them to think that the very best they can do isnt very good at all. This whole place's standards are set so high. They are set to "your" standards. You have to keep in mind that some kids cant write as well as others.

Also, I HATE THE LITTLE GOODY TWOSHOES KIDS THAT THINK THEY ARE THE MODS RIGHT HAND PRICKS AND THINK THEY CAN GO AROUND TO EVERY FRIGGEN THREAD AND CORRECT PEOPLE OR REPORT THEM WHEN ITS NONE OF THEIR DAMN BUISNESS!!!!! Minimods should all be hung from the gallows. Its become a pandemic. Its bullcrap! I'd like to see a day in the lives of these great heroes we call "Minimods".......I wonder if they get punched in the face for correcting people in real life. I hope they all do.

Whew, I feel better now. Anyways, There are alot of things you can do to help, like lower the standards so that you arent making kids commit suicide.

Well, the mods aren't superheroes, if a thread breaks the rules you do have to report it to them. Would you rather this place be swarming in SPAM? And what they might think is their best might not actually be their potential. So they dish out advice to help. And if these kids think their best would be like this:

Example said:
Name: Bob
Description: Jeans, t-shirt, black shoes, brown hair
Personality: Funny, courageous, sweet, smart, noble
History: Parents died when he was little, can't remember past

Then can you blame the mods for asking they improve? Would you accept that even if it was their best? I think not.

On topic; maybe because there's a lack of creativity nowadays. It's hard to tell what is a good Pokemon RPG plot and that's what the majority come for, but it's all but outlawed if you can't come up with something original. Hence why Digimon and Original RPGs rule the roost around here. While no-one wants to see same old trainer journeys, maybe if there were limits to designing a Pokemon RPG then maybe we'll see more. But it's a big maybe.

While I may not have any new ideas to contribute, I can at least say this: Shadowfaith and Skeith have pretty good ideas. Specifying the character fields helps neophyte RPers to understand what's acquired, and a monthly free-flow RP with varying themes. Maybe we could use these as like My First RPG, specifically new members, though some older ones could sign-up to give an example of what's expected.

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
MAKE AN EFFORT? Us older kids usually do make an effort. You know as well as I that everyone will have a different view on what an effort is. They could try their very best, and a mod will come along and say its ****. Thus, causing them to think that the very best they can do isnt very good at all. This whole place's standards are set so high. They are set to "your" standards. You have to keep in mind that some kids cant write as well as others.

7 lines is not high standards. I've been to forums where they expect 1000 word posts minimum, and sign up sheets that ask for explicit detail. What is effort? True, you can define it differently, but compare these two:

short, red hair, brown eyes, jeans, a t-shirt and a baseball cap.

Short, about 4 foot tall, red hair with patches of darker brown, brown eyes, jeans torn at the knee, a scruffy and dirty t-shirt and a baseball cap on backwards

One is just a sub-par description. You read the second and you get the idea that the character is a scruffy person. The two are extremely short, but that extra bit of effort on the second provides some unwritten description of the character.

BTW if they were set to my standards there'd be a 1000 word limit for plots, and fields and posts would need at least 2 paragraphs.

Also, I HATE THE LITTLE GOODY TWOSHOES KIDS THAT THINK THEY ARE THE MODS RIGHT HAND PRICKS AND THINK THEY CAN GO AROUND TO EVERY FRIGGEN THREAD AND CORRECT PEOPLE OR REPORT THEM WHEN ITS NONE OF THEIR DAMN BUISNESS!!!!! Minimods should all be hung from the gallows. Its become a pandemic. Its bullcrap! I'd like to see a day in the lives of these great heroes we call "Minimods".......I wonder if they get punched in the face for correcting people in real life. I hope they all do.

Report Button says says hi.

Whew, I feel better now. Anyways, There are alot of things you can do to help, like lower the standards so that you arent making kids commit suicide.

Nice example. If kids are committing suicide over a pokemon forum I wish they'd do it properly so they never pollute the gene pool.

Okay, I'm going to say this and I do NOT want to be blasted for it. I think there should be rules about how people treat the RPG newbies here. I've seen some really nasty comments made by people who have been here for a while. It scares them away! We were all newbies at one point and some people take it WAAAAY too far.

There are. Do you report them?

Maybe there could be an experienced and newbie side to the RPG board? Maybe we could get a load of really experienced RPGers to write a Do and Don't sticky?

Have you read the Rules Thread lately? Or the Advice sticky?

One more thing: It's summer. The weather is lovely (apart from england) and people want to go outside (...ditto) so we ARE going to get quiet.

Glad to see the weather is the same across the entire planet. No worries of global warming if it's lovely hot summer in Australia and the Antarctic.

mabye adding 2 subsections, one where you cn post ideas an see what people think, and another where you can post infomation, pictures about a place yur going to repeatedly use in a rpg

And the entire point of the RPG Cafe comes up again. This place was not made exclusively for discussions. I was the first person to post a discussion thread in this forum, after that everybody sheep'd and did the same, ignoring the original point. Been to the Author's Cafe? How many threads in there are discussions about individual fanfics? Very few. Use the forum for what it was made for.

Everybody is complaining about something, but there's been a Suggestions & Feedback Thread in the Cafe for some time, which has been pretty much ignored after it's first few initial posts. You can't say we've done nothing to help or encourage, when you don't use what's already given. Most of you may not know of turboreedemed, who was a serial offender in the RPG Forum. The amount of chances he was given, when he should have been banned was phenomenal, in any other part of the forum he would have been long gone. Famous for his Description: The boy trainer from Emerald, all of the mods plus numerous members tried to help him with no avail. If you want to get better, then you will when prompted to. If you don't, then frankly the RPG Forum is better off without you.

Dias

Fenrir
I'm going to have to side with Dan here. A lot of the problem is that people just don't bother to read threads or utilize them in any way. There's a number of stickies and other threads where people can go to ask for help, share ideas and opinions, compete in character competitions, give suggestions, and more things beyond that. Half the things people 'want to see' or complain about already exists, or already has existed and was eventually removed because no one felt the need to utilize it.

If you have an idea for something, post it. If you are uncertain whether or not it should be posted (for example, if it fits into an already-made thread), PM a mod about it. Everyone is free to make threads themselves, they don't need to wait for mods to make a thread for every idea everyone has.

The lag is a problem, there is no doubt about that. I myself have only been able to load the forums in the past week or two - there was a hefty chunk of time (several weeks, I think even upwards of a month) where I couldn't get on the forums at all. I'm sure it's like that for other people as well. When it takes ten minutes to make a post or switch pages or if the forums don't even load at all for people, there is obviously going to be a decrease in activity. Still, it's not a problem that has to halt one's activity in an RPG altogether.

Perhaps, if/until the forums get back to normal, those people involved in an RPG can exchange e-mail addresses, instant messenger screen names, or other ways of off-forum contact. That way, if a member is unable to post due to server performance, he or she can simply send the post to another member of the RPG and have them post it in there for them. I'm not saying it is a perfect solution, far from it, but I think it is a lot better than just saying "oh, can't post this, I guess I'll just be inactive in this RPG for three weeks."

As for discussion threads, I am firmly sticking with mod decision. Every RPG does not have to have a discussion thread, as seen by the previous state of the Cafe itself. It had come to the point where we might as well have just renamed the Cafe "Discussion Threads" because that's all they were, and more than half of them were mindless chit-chat that did nothing but take up a slot on the Cafe page that could have been put to much better and more efficient use. If you have a problem with taking five minutes to PM a mod with a bit of information on your RPG and a reason or two you would like to have a discussion thread for it, or if your request for a discussion thread is denied, go make a blog somewhere and give the address to the participants so you can discuss it elsewhere. Just because the RPG takes place on these forums does not mean that every word of discussion about it has to also take place here.

I am really against having RPG Awards. I've always hated them in the Fics forum and I really would not want to see them here. They really do not have a point and simply turn things into a popularity contest. Sure, it might motive people to make good, solid RPGs, but they are making them, in the end, just for the recognition that comes with awards. If it takes an award on a forum to get someone to put thought and effort into expressing creativity and making a well-written RPG (or fic), it's a bit sad. If you want to acknowledge a good rpg, join it and be active in it. It does a lot more for the person than voting for them in a meaningless contest.

Really, if people made more use of the important threads, there would probably be more activity. Looking at the ideas thread, RPG profiles thread, and what have you can allow people to see what kind of RPGs other people are interested in participating in. You are bound to get more entries into an RPG if there are already people expressing interest in a certain kind rather than just throwing down something and winging it. If new people likewise spent a few minutes looking at rules, regulations, and advice, there would be a lot less closed threads and more active members that know what is expected of them in an RPG on this forum.

Hexagram

Sic Transit Mundus
I like the RPG School and Plot Help Ideas. IF the Plots were better, then the forum crowd would come back. The lags are also a bit of a problem, but, as they say, patience is a virtue.

Other problems are that some RPG’s are complex, get a ton of people, and then the members can’t focus as much on joining new things. The newbs, like me in every RPG or Fanfic I’ve ever made here, could really use the help so that the more vicious, older members don’t get irritated. The older members may not go anymore because their standards exclude the RPS by less experienced members. The complaints towards the minimods are also bad. That just gets everyone ****** at each other, and that just makes matters worse.

To really fix this, we need to help everyone with plot. With that, experienced members would be happy, the noobs would learn, the quality would be better, and the forum would regain its crowd

-Darkbradlor, Noob, Hopeless GM, Never Gets In To Anything, Maker of Pretty Damn Horrible RPGS

Pikaman

Poke-nerd
All of those sound good, especialy help threads.
Sorry I ment to add something. Especialy help threads because people * like myself * read the rules, followed the standerds, but don't know how to fix whats wrong with the RPG, or sign-up. I know some things wrong but don't know how to fix it!

Argent

A piece of the whole
I think what people have been failing to understand here that people are upset by certain things and these grievances are falling on deaf ears, or ridiculued or objected to. Alternatively, people could listen to what is being said with "Well, you do have something to say... even if its not beind directly said."

Myself, I would like to see more happiness in this shell. More acceptance and smiles. I would like to see people getting recognized for their good characters and post and having people feel free to mention that they are doing a good job. I would like to see leaders be concerned about being active and friendly, having fun with its fellow members at the same level as enforcing the rules. I would like to see less bitterness, blithy contempt for inexperience and harsh words for individuals who have yet to develop their skills. I would like to see people be able to come here to learn and to improve , and be a branching out point to the greatworld of RP story telling.

There is enough there to hash responsibility out to everybody. In my view, if the forums is dying... and clearly if there is this much dissent in the forums... something is being said and needs to be heard. To reiterate our moderator's words in another way:

MAKE AN EFFORT (TO MAKE THIS A FUN, NURTURING AND WELCOMING ENVIRONMENT TO PEOPLE WHO WANT TO RP)!

And hell, if that means some of the rules need to be bent or looked at again. I would argue that the law is made to make order, but it is grossely insuficient to bring about happiness -- only we, the members of the community, can be charged with doing that. If the law inhibits us too frequently, how could we feel to be members of a community when there is a little underlying fear of being found "out of bounds?"

Razgriz

I saw a few people request an RPG school. Thing is I believe there was a RPG school open to help newbies improve and learn to at least make a decent sign-up along with learning to make your posts a decent size instead of just a few sentences. Though it was closed probably due to lack of interest. As for standards they're not the problem. It's the newbies who don't read the RPG forum rules and the stickies. They think that they can just waltz right in here and make a sub-standard RPG expecting people to want to sign-up and join. I mean really every once in a while I see a newbie post a crappy RPG and I can automatically say that the person has not read the rules and the stickies that the mods post for the benefit of the RPG forum. So I would say that perhaps RPGs should be made that will help newbs to get used to the way things are done and give them a bit of experience in a RPG to boot.

EDIT: What I posted also applies to newbies who think that they can make a crappy sign-up and hope to accepted simply because they're new.

Last edited:

PokemonBreederChris

UnlimitedBlade Works
An RPG school would be nice.

They had an RPG school, but it was taken down. The Mods got tired (Well Lady Myuu atleast) that their help threads were being abused, many noobs (not newbs if you know the differance) entered the school and posted such posts in there withouth reading the RPG rules, the Thread guidelines, the Thread Rules, I would not second guess why Lady Myuu the headmistress of the RPG School gave it up. The school wasn't being used. I think that we, as the Role Playing Community need to admit and want the school. You all suggest it, but how many of you would actually use it? There is a small steady stream of newbies coming into the RPG forums, some have decided to upset the older crowd by not reading the rules. My suggestion, not to the mods, but to the people who read this:

READ THE RULES! GUIDELINES! AND OTHER HELPFUL STICKIES THE MODS HAVE WORKED HARD TO CREATE!

We have all the required threads, it's just that no one uses them.

I like the RPG School and Plot Help Ideas. IF the Plots were better, then the forum crowd would come back. The lags are also a bit of a problem, but, as they say, patience is a virtue

There is something of a 'plot-help' thread, RPG IDEAS - Share yor thoughts here. You can post your would-be plot, and eople who read it there could give their oppinions whether it is good, needs more juice, etc. The fact is, that it is seldom used by everyone. Only a few members actively use that thread. Yes the lag helps, but if one was truely loyal to RPGing, they'd make their time arround the ussual Lag.

Other problems are that some RPG’s are complex, get a ton of people, and then the members can’t focus as much on joining new things.

RPGs are Complex, yes, many people prefer complex RPGs with 20 paged plots. The more information given, the easier it is to understand, and construct a character. Some RPGs have more then the reckomended ammount, some RPGs prosper with more members, others (Like PBA) fail. It is not that the members can't focus, but that they choose to put all their attention to one RPG. I ussually join two to three RPGs at a time, depending on the activety each one has. I write when I'm bored, however, I do not think my skills are masterful enough for the Fanfic section. You see, I'm too scared to venture into the fanfic section (>.> those people bite...I don't want my self-esteem lowered)

The newbs, like me in every RPG or Fanfic I’ve ever made here, could really use the help so that the more vicious, older members don’t get irritated.

And Help has always been offered, its just never requested or used. Also, not allot of people like Gary-Stus that have incredible powers coming from some Demon blood within that person. They don't like characters with uber attributes that are all powerful, People like pure kind-hearted heroes always putting stranger's live's before theirs, causing increasing strain on the body (strain on the body.... A FLAW! PEOPLE LIKE CHARACTERS WITH FLAWS!) Older members get irritated when their RPG sign up requirements are not used to a good potential, when someone gives a crappy sign up that took only five minutes to make, etc. experianced members like what many people have brought up in this thread EFFORT! Its just noobs don't put the effort, and newbs don't know of the effort till they try.

The older members may not go anymore because their standards exclude the RPS by less experienced members. The complaints towards the minimods are also bad. That just gets everyone ****** at each other, and that just makes matters worse.

That could be a reason, but its the noobs that don't put the effort in the RPGS that annoys us 'older members.' When I see a newbie coming to the forum, who's really interested in the RPG, I give him or her a chance, however when I see a noob enter my RPG who pus no effort into their sign ups, and has...a history...then like any other noble GM I'd be less likely to give them a chance until they shape up their act and put the effort we all had to put. One thing I don' like is enablers, the experianced people who accept two worded sign ups with the excuse "S/he's a newbie, this RPG'll help him/her grow." That could be argueable, but through my own past experiance, I won't make those mistakes again.

Minimodding as well hasn't really been a huge issue. There is either the aggressive flamings of minimodding, or the soft polite "no-no's" of minimodding. There once was a time when allot of members, one member in particular, used heavy aggressive minimodding, but that time is gone. Right now we see the polite minimodding which I don't find issues of, the mods don't really complain about it either. Innerflame's 'minimod' in this thread is what I'd consider polite and helpful (http://serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=264648).

To really fix this, we need to help everyone with plot. With that, experienced members would be happy, the noobs would learn, the quality would be better, and the forum would regain its crowd

sorry, I disagree, this would not really regain the Forum crowd. In my oppinion, what would bring some experianced members back would be the lack of stubborness on the noob's end (as well for some experianced too), and a better work quality. Poor RPGs make me not want to really RPG, the uninspire me. It is also very quite annoying to see many noobs in the RPG forums instead of newbs. If people would WANTto learn and be better, I could not complain, its just that many people don't WANT to learn, and blame the staff when their rpgs get el locko-ed.

Myself, I would like to see more happiness in this shell. More acceptance and smiles. I would like to see people getting recognized for their good characters and post and having people feel free to mention that they are doing a good job. I would like to see leaders be concerned about being active and friendly, having fun with its fellow members at the same level as enforcing the rules. I would like to see less bitterness, blithy contempt for inexperience and harsh words for individuals who have yet to develop their skills. I would like to see people be able to come here to learn and to improve , and be a branching out point to the greatworld of RP story telling.

Your demands are tough, but a can do. I myself, when issuing an RPG would be more business in the Game Administrating point of view rather then have fun (Fun's for when the RPG starts). The thing is, people get upset through the fact that no one listens to them, that they still hold noobish ways. I'm happy for the newcomers who want to improve, its just those who do not want to improve, and whos sign ups...just BLEH! I let individuals who want to develope their skills into my RPGs, or give them a nice huge long 3 page critique to tell them what they need to improve on. As a GM I am not "Denied, cause you are too over powered" No, I'm like "Denied, due to the fact that your character is a gary-stu. You character is a Gary-stu because etc...etc." I to think we need more members who actively want to Role Play, its just that people need to make an effort.

There is enough there to hash responsibility out to everybody. In my view, if the forums is dying... and clearly if there is this much dissent in the forums... something is being said and needs to be heard. To reiterate our moderator's words in another way:

MAKE AN EFFORT (TO MAKE THIS A FUN, NURTURING AND WELCOMING ENVIRONMENT TO PEOPLE WHO WANT TO RP)!

Although we all should make this a fun environment, SerebiiForums does have higher expectations then must (Which I like, cause then the real writers get to shine). Plus wouldn't you want to see an RPG with 10 posts but two page MS typed posts? Or a 50 post four line posts RPG. People like Quality over Quantity here.

And hell, if that means some of the rules need to be bent or looked at again. I would argue that the law is made to make order, but it is grossely insuficient to bring about happiness -- only we, the members of the community, can be charged with doing that. If the law inhibits us too frequently, how could we feel to be members of a community when there is a little underlying fear of being found "out of bounds?"

It is true, that the rules could be a little bit more flexable. The feeling thatone is competely barred down by rules is not good, however, the mods have placed these rules in order to limit as much noob-invasions as possible. The rules are a pesticide in the organic garden, which is both good and bad.

I saw a few people request an RPG school. Thing is I believe there was a RPG school open to help newbies improve and learn to at least make a decent sign-up along with learning to make your posts a decent size instead of just a few sentences. Though it was closed probably due to lack of interest.

Actually it was closed due to noobs not reading what the purpose was for and just waltzing in there, giving Lady Myuu a headache.

As for standards they're not the problem. It's the newbies who don't read the RPG forum rules and the stickies. They think that they can just waltz right in here and make a sub-standard RPG expecting people to want to sign-up and join. I mean really every once in a while I see a newbie post a crappy RPG and I can automatically say that the person has not read the rules and the stickies that the mods post for the benefit of the RPG forum. So I would say that perhaps RPGs should be made that will help newbs to get used to the way things are done and give them a bit of experience in a RPG to boot.

Those, my friend, aren't newbies, but noobs. Does anyone know the differance between Noob and Newb anymore? Or am I too old!? Whisper-Snappers! I've councilled a few newbies into this RPGing world, I've attempted to help noobs, but often got flamed. They don't want to change, and would rather be hated by all instead of making the effort. Newbs though, who really would want to chagne would put in the effort and become Greatness.

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
If this thread is going to be used to rebuild the RPG Forum, then feel free to pick at the rules and tell us what you think needs to be changed. Just saying they are to strict really doesn't give us any idea as to what's wrong.

Anzua2

I don't feel there is a problem with the rules, but rather the members. Some GMs seem to just forget their RPG even exists, and many members can't construct coherent posts.

ME2

Iz dat wut I tink?
I don't feel there is a problem with the rules, but rather the members. Some GMs seem to just forget their RPG even exists, and many members can't construct coherent posts.

Yeah, I agree with this. :/
I guess it's SO far down the page their hands can't bear the pain? :x
Also, it's just opening up WORD and writing something. *Something with meaning AND beauty!*

InnerFlame

Fire and Ice Combo
They had an RPG school, but it was taken down. The Mods got tired (Well Lady Myuu atleast) that their help threads were being abused, many noobs (not newbs if you know the differance) entered the school and posted such posts in there withouth reading the RPG rules, the Thread guidelines, the Thread Rules, I would not second guess why Lady Myuu the headmistress of the RPG School gave it up. The school wasn't being used. I think that we, as the Role Playing Community need to admit and want the school. You all suggest it, but how many of you would actually use it? There is a small steady stream of newbies coming into the RPG forums, some have decided to upset the older crowd by not reading the rules. My suggestion, not to the mods, but to the people who read this:

READ THE RULES! GUIDELINES! AND OTHER HELPFUL STICKIES THE MODS HAVE WORKED HARD TO CREATE!

We have all the required threads, it's just that no one uses them.

Actually it was closed due to noobs not reading what the purpose was for and just waltzing in there, giving Lady Myuu a headache.

And the question is, who it is to blame? I looked at the thread and there wasn’t a large amount of noob posts, yes there were some but not an overwhelming amount. I believe we, the Rper are partly to blame. We left the whole school up to Lady Myuu, a single mod and Psychic helped there too. I believe there might have been two/three people looking after the school, but only Lady Myuu was the one that had mostly post.

In real-life and school does not have one-to-three teachers per school it’s filled with teachers willing to teach and help students. Of course Lady Myuu was getting a headache, she was the principal and the teacher of the whole school. If we want an successful school we need people who are willing to take a bit of their time and be a teacher for newbies that want to improve. So noobs aren’t the biggest problem with the school; it’s the lack of help forcing few people to carry to the heavy load of work by themselves.

It might be so that we have all the thread we need, but I’m reminded of this quote, “Action speaks louder than words.” If we don’t use what we have then why would newbie use it?

There is something of a 'plot-help' thread, RPG IDEAS - Share yor thoughts here. You can post your would-be plot, and eople who read it there could give their oppinions whether it is good, needs more juice, etc. The fact is, that it is seldom used by everyone. Only a few members actively use that thread. Yes the lag helps, but if one was truely loyal to RPGing, they'd make their time arround the ussual Lag.

Yes but you really can’t have a discussion about the plot of you story because it in the rules. I could get you some advice on it and ask questions to help you understand or make sure you understand to plot yourself but after that if we want to have a full on conversation about it we would have to PM one another.

I don’t know about the lag part… I’m a truly loyal to RPGing and I’ve been making time around the lag but… it only because school has not yet started here. And because I normally can get by the lag in about 2-5am and I don’t know what I’m going to do when school starts… My curfew is ten but and can stretch it to eleven and I have get to the bus at 8:45am. I get home at about 4:00pm and then I have homework and Tuesday and Friday have Karate at 7:30pm. So getting on through the week will be very difficult. And I’ll probably get behind not post throughout the week and only post on weekends. So I’m in bit of a sticky situation… I could get out my email address but I don’t feel comfortable doing that…

RPGs are Complex, yes, many people prefer complex RPGs with 20 paged plots. The more information given, the easier it is to understand, and construct a character. Some RPGs have more then the reckomended ammount, some RPGs prosper with more members, others (Like PBA) fail. It is not that the members can't focus, but that they choose to put all their attention to one RPG. I ussually join two to three RPGs at a time, depending on the activety each one has. I write when I'm bored, however, I do not think my skills are masterful enough for the Fanfic section. You see, I'm too scared to venture into the fanfic section (>.> those people bite...I don't want my self-esteem lowered)

Really, if I saw a post that was 20 pages long I would be very intimidated actually… That goes for Fanfic as well… But back on subjects, it true the more information the more people understand and it make it easier to understand. Knight’s RPG was really interesting and a part of me wanted to join… but I hadn’t read the fic he based it upon and I was unsure how to make my character and what should my history be about and… I just choked and put the whole sign-up to the side… Maybe I’ll post on it because I don’t think it too late…

It also true that so many good RPG died… my favorite is still Winds of Change but there are a lot others that I really enjoy… and it because people stop posting or have too many other RPG neglect other RPG or in some cases the RPG is going too fast. I also only join 2-3 RPG and when a RPG I’m in dies I search for one to take its place. I write because it fun, and I find it some much interesting to play in story that could change in a moment.

It not that I don’t think I’m good enough to post in Fanfic it just makes me so nervous and I feel like I’m just going to be rejected… I don’t when I got this fear but I’m afraid of having something I work so hard on just completely rejected… In RPG it’s different because I do it all the time and people like my sign-up and my ideas but I’m not sure how it would be in the Fanfic area…

And Help has always been offered, its just never requested or used. Also, not allot of people like Gary-Stus that have incredible powers coming from some Demon blood within that person. They don't like characters with uber attributes that are all powerful, People like pure kind-hearted heroes always putting stranger's live's before theirs, causing increasing strain on the body (strain on the body.... A FLAW! PEOPLE LIKE CHARACTERS WITH FLAWS!) Older members get irritated when their RPG sign up requirements are not used to a good potential, when someone gives a crappy sign up that took only five minutes to make, etc. experianced members like what many people have brought up in this thread EFFORT! Its just noobs don't put the effort, and newbs don't know of the effort till they try.

That could be a reason, but its the noobs that don't put the effort in the RPGS that annoys us 'older members.' When I see a newbie coming to the forum, who's really interested in the RPG, I give him or her a chance, however when I see a noob enter my RPG who pus no effort into their sign ups, and has...a history...then like any other noble GM I'd be less likely to give them a chance until they shape up their act and put the effort we all had to put. One thing I don' like is enablers, the experianced people who accept two worded sign ups with the excuse "S/he's a newbie, this RPG'll help him/her grow." That could be argueable, but through my own past experience, I won't make those mistakes again.

But we must remember that maybe this person is not a noob. I’ve been to many emphasized on many forums before I discovered this one. And in a lot of them posts with little description and personality is accepted along with little description posts, and they may automatically think it like that in this forums and when they read a plot that get them excited the just post what they are used to posting. Some people accept their posts, which, only encourage this act while others get ‘irrigated’ and may say some rude, mean things. Even if does get you mad what will come out of it being distrusting and calling the person a noob? We our all human beings we all make mistake but when we start making the same mistake over and over again then we are just being foolish.

Minimodding as well hasn't really been a huge issue. There is either the aggressive flamings of minimodding, or the soft polite "no-no's" of minimodding. There once was a time when allot of members, one member in particular, used heavy aggressive minimodding, but that time is gone. Right now we see the polite minimodding which I don't find issues of, the mods don't really complain about it either. Innerflame's 'minimod' in this thread is what I'd consider polite and helpful (http://serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=264648).

OMG I’m the example as a polite and helpful minimodding. I remember back in the day when there were people saying really harsh things when they minimod… but maybe it was because I wasn’t on the other side of them but some of them though they were harsh they had helpful things in them. Like Yami Ryu posts, were mean sounding though they had very good points and explain what was wrong with it… I’m not saying it okay to do it but not all aggressive sounding flaming minimodding is bad… Some people may need some tough love…

sorry, I disagree, this would not really regain the Forum crowd. In my oppinion, what would bring some experianced members back would be the lack of stubborness on the noob's end (as well for some experianced too), and a better work quality. Poor RPGs make me not want to really RPG, the uninspire me. It is also very quite annoying to see many noobs in the RPG forums instead of newbs. If people would WANTto learn and be better, I could not complain, its just that many people don't WANT to learn, and blame the staff when their rpgs get el locko-ed.

Hmm… I have nothing to really comment about this one because it’s in a way true. Some people refuse to take people advice, upset when people get them suggestion. We could bring back the experience Rper but maybe it would be better to try to keep the ones that remain and see some new experience one around.

I remember one Rper who had many people trying to help him but he refuse to take any advice… I don’t remember his name but he posted over a dozen RPG and they were all closed. I even PM him offering help and he never answered me back… I guess he was just on of those people who just… didn’t want to change his way to please others.

Your demands are tough, but a can do. I myself, when issuing an RPG would be more business in the Game Administrating point of view rather then have fun (Fun's for when the RPG starts). The thing is, people get upset through the fact that no one listens to them, that they still hold noobish ways. I'm happy for the newcomers who want to improve, its just those who do not want to improve, and whos sign ups...just BLEH! I let individuals who want to develope their skills into my RPGs, or give them a nice huge long 3 page critique to tell them what they need to improve on. As a GM I am not "Denied, cause you are too over powered" No, I'm like "Denied, due to the fact that your character is a gary-stu. You character is a Gary-stu because etc...etc." I to think we need more members who actively want to Role Play, its just that people need to make an effort.

That’s agreeable, I want to do the same thing with my RPG instead of locking out newbies because of their lack of experience get them a chance to improve. Noobs maybe be a pain but they like anyone else need to have chance regardless. If you can tell that they truly do not want to improve just say so as nicely as possible.

Although we all should make this a fun environment, SerebiiForums does have higher expectations then must (Which I like, cause then the real writers get to shine). Plus wouldn't you want to see an RPG with 10 posts but two page MS typed posts? Or a 50 post four line posts RPG. People like Quality over Quantity here.

It is true, that the rules could be a little bit more flexable. The feeling thatone is competely barred down by rules is not good, however, the mods have placed these rules in order to limit as much noob-invasions as possible. The rules are a pesticide in the organic garden, which is both good and bad.

It’s funny, Serebii is the strictest forums I’ve ever been on but it’s the one like the most. Forums with little rules are chaotic and out of control. People post fast and threads disappear in the beyond of pages. In Neopets, I only once and on rarely occasions visit their forum board. I posted one thread and in about two minutes, it was pushed on to the four page without a single post. You can only post a 300 word post at most and people post so fast even if you did reply your post would be pushed back by other posts. It felt like I was being ignore all over again…

Rules are okay for me but I'm sure other maybe this agree. But I think its the rules that let's me like this place.

Those, my friend, aren't newbies, but noobs. Does anyone know the differance between Noob and Newb anymore? Or am I too old!? Whisper-Snappers! I've councilled a few newbies into this RPGing world, I've attempted to help noobs, but often got flamed. They don't want to change, and would rather be hated by all instead of making the effort. Newbs though, who really would want to chagne would put in the effort and become Greatness.

I know the difference but it surprising that many people don’t. On this online game I like to play people call others people noob and some call themselves it thinking its the same as newb. I actually make a quick reply explaining the difference between them because every time I tell them that noob isn’t a good thing to be call, they ask me why.

I just want everyone to think and remember, we are all people and people have different way of seeing things, understanding things and we all have different personalities just like the people we create in RPG and Fanfic. Some people just can not take criticism because they may think that you are trying to tell that they are stupid, that they don’t know what they’re doing and that you think you know how to make the RPG/Sign-up that they created better than them. They are offended and get mad and that when things happens. That maybe what we called a noob but just try to understand that if just how they are. If they refuse to listen to reason, and fuss try to remember that they’re just a person, yes they maybe a jerk, a mean, bossy person but that is just their flaw. Maybe one day they’ll conquer it and maybe they will just live like that the rest of there life.

The world isn’t black and white, the same goes for people so don’t just assumed that every person that have short posts are noob and all that want to improve are newbs because it’s not always true. Jumping to conclusions and make baseless assumption to due what it normally is. It okay to know what you maybe in in for but base to whole character of the person in you assumptions. Because you never know, people can surprise you.

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
Yes but you really can’t have a discussion about the plot of you story because it in the rules. I could get you some advice on it and ask questions to help you understand or make sure you understand to plot yourself but after that if we want to have a full on conversation about it we would have to PM one another.

An easier way would be to press Create New Topic and write Plot-Help Thread in the title. Once again I am reminding people that the Cafe is not for discussion topics alone, the entire point is that people make their own topics about RPG issues.

Arcanine Royale

[We in the Fan Fic board don't all bite]

But I've not rped here much, mostly because only a few actually took off that I signed, and those that did died quickly. But really, I agree that the forum lag has a large portion of blame, as does the summer in the Northern Hemisphere (there's more people there), though I'd always thought that it would counterbalance because usually teens have more time on their hands, unless they have a job, but maybe not...

Anyways, rpg schools are definitely hard to do. I wouldn't even try, because it takes so much energy. What could go in its place is just some friendly crit every once in a while while rping about what they can improve on and such.

And really, the ideas thread is sort of a plot help thread already, though most people don't do both sides of the deal.

I think maybe we just need to help people be mored experienced, somehow.

Cenodoxus

SMILE.LIKEYOUMEANIT
I suggest the following things.

x Bi-Monthy/Semi-Annual/Whatever RPG Awards. Best Role-Player, Best Character, Best Plot, Best Post, etc.
x Something similar to the Serebii Café; a very loose-plot RPG when people can go and unwind, open for everyone.
x Continued effort to hone the skills of inexperienced Role-Players through Workshops, Contests, the Café and so forth.
x A Other RPGs sub-forum; the present one would be solely for Pokémon RPGs. Conversely this division could be done with sign-ups, as its purpose would be for people who want to participate in Pokémon RPGs (which seem to be quite a few) to know where to go while the other ones wouldn´t be lost in the crowd.
x Muffins.

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
I suggest the following things.

x Bi-Monthy/Semi-Annual/Whatever RPG Awards. Best Role-Player, Best Character, Best Plot, Best Post, etc.
x Something similar to the Serebii Café; a very loose-plot RPG when people can go and unwind, open for everyone.
x Continued effort to hone the skills of inexperienced Role-Players through Workshops, Contests, the Café and so forth.
x A Other RPGs sub-forum; the present one would be solely for Pokémon RPGs. Conversely this division could be done with sign-ups, as its purpose would be for people who want to participate in Pokémon RPGs (which seem to be quite a few) to know where to go while the other ones wouldn´t be lost in the crowd.
x Muffins.

1. Unlike fanfics, RPG Awards tend not to work as well. With fanfics, it's written by one person and read by an infinite amount of others. RPGs require several participants, and therfore aren't as likely to be known outside of those who take part.
2. For the millionth time, I point out that you do not have to rely on the mods to post topics in this forum, just so long as you post them properly.
3. Obviously
4. I'd rather not. Having first hand experience of how little traffic the Non-Pokemon fic forum gets, I wouldn't want that same discrimination here. Besides, RPGs do not get posted as often or in as much bulk as fanfic, so there's little worry of things being pushed off the page or overlooked.
5. I'd rather a Corned Beef Pasty to be honest.

j_hunter

Weedles in the sugar
May I make a suggestion?

I've noticed a problem with the SPP RPG Forums (Obviously, looking at this thread, there's more than one problem, but this one has been bothering me for a while). Most RPGs tend to die out. I, for one, would love to be a part of an RPG. I can really see myself having a lot of fun. But each time I have put in any effort for creating a Sign-Up or Plot, I find that I get ignored.

I put several nights of effort into a sign-up for a certain RPG. After a GM told me to alter a few contradicting details (and I did so), the thread died completely. Why does this happen? My current RPG is struggling to lift off. Is it because nobody's interested? Two people have posted saying that they like the concept, then the whole thread was pushed to Page Two. I don't know... is the RPG Forum still active at all?

The only solution I can come up with is a "Save My RPG" thread, where RPers can post good Sign-Up threads that are in danger of obsoletion. I really want to be a part of an RPG, and I get very excited when I come across a good one. But it just crushes me when I put in a lot of effort, only to see everything die off.

That's just me (by the way, if I hear a "get over it, your posts must just be boring" comment, heads will roll). What do you think?

Snowraptor

The Arctic Menace...
I used yto belong to forum dedicated to RPing. ONe thing they had going on there was something called "Battle Front". To put it simply, you create a character like any other RP. Then you challenge someone to a battle against their character. Then the two members duke it out. Heres a link with some more information (the last bits are moreso for that forum) http://z11.invisionfree.com/Heroes_of_the_Net/index.php?showtopic=69

Another idea woulds be to actually make posts here count towards our total post count.