• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

RPG forum is getting killed

Tale

Tale thinks the RPGs dying out is probably a major problem, he hates to see that kind of thing.

Obbviously, theres a limited amount of solutions to preventing the GM or other RPers from suffering writer's block or lack of enthusiasm, but perhaps what j_hunter said about some kind of 'save my RPG' thread. Maybe willing people can restore the dying RPGs with permission from the GM or something...

OR MAYBE you know how people just leave an RPG, thereby leaving it to rot despite the effort of the GM? Well maybe if there was some kind of way for people to join up late and make up for those numbers...like some kind of system where, in the sign up thread, people volunteer themselves to be a reserve character for a certain RPG, should the sign ups be full, and then when someone doesnt feel up to RPing in the RPG anymore, out they go and in the reserve comes. They could take control of the character thats been abandoned, or make a new one depending on the GM's preference.

I guess innovative ideas can restore the RPG forum, put into use by the GMs that are controlling the RPGs right now. I just think that some of these ideas could be advertised to become more customary for every or most RPGs.

If we used these ideas, RPGs can continue for as long as someone's willing to take up the position of a character, or the GM themselves. Then those people who are really eagre to participate arent forced to abandon the RPG due to sudden lack of interest from the other RPers (like j_hunter for example).

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
OK here's a suggestion. Would you like to see an RPG newsletter type thing? Every eek, or two weeks a Newsletter is posted with features like 'RPG of the Week', 'Character of the week', 'Post of the week', tips from different RPGers, and general news from the RPG Forum?

Gentleman Skeleton

This is what I think we need to help improve the RPG system around here.

1. Several mod-run RPG-Jr's (probably one based on Pokemon, one based on another popular anime, maybe Naruto or Bleach and another based simply on a good idea) to help new RPGers get their feet wet.
2. A sticky thread in the Sign-up board dmonstrating what a Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu character is and how to avoid it.
3. A board devoted to helping GMs with RPG plots.
4. Incentives for people to join RPGs, such as posts in the RPG board counting in the overall post count.

Cenodoxus

SMILE.LIKEYOUMEANIT
RaZoR LeAf said:
OK here's a suggestion. Would you like to see an RPG newsletter type thing? Every eek, or two weeks a Newsletter is posted with features like 'RPG of the Week', 'Character of the week', 'Post of the week', tips from different RPGers, and general news from the RPG Forum?

That I actually agree with more than my own ideas. If it could be held with consistency I think it´d be a pretty big help.

Snowraptor said:
I used yto belong to forum dedicated to RPing. ONe thing they had going on there was something called "Battle Front". To put it simply, you create a character like any other RP. Then you challenge someone to a battle against their character. Then the two members duke it out. Heres a link with some more information (the last bits are moreso for that forum)

I´ve been to a bunch of forums with a similar if not identical system, and the thing is that it tends to degenerate into "GYAAAAAAAAAAAHHH *shoots with a thousand revolves drives explosive stake through skull casts spell of ultimate cosmos destruction*" "*uses seekrit revival magics*", because people either don´t want to lose or put no effort into it or both. That, and not every RPGer in SPPf is that interested in sole battling. Although I guess you could make an argument that many of them are. Also, the concept of battling for the sake of battling with no reason or plot is kinda sad and goes against the standard of quality that this place is apparently trying to...uphold? I think.

draconic_man said:
1. Several mod-run RPG-Jr's (probably one based on Pokemon, one based on another popular anime, maybe Naruto or Bleach and another based simply on a good idea) to help new RPGers get their feet wet.

This is already being done. Yanno, in the form of workshops and stuff. Doing it with a particular anime/game/whatever motif might not be such a good idea because even though a lot of kids like Naruto, not everyone does.

2. A sticky thread in the Sign-up board dmonstrating what a Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu character is and how to avoid it.

There´s a "What Your Character Should/Shouldn´t Be" thread already. ...Well, it´s not called like that, but it exists.

I thought that was the RPG Café, but I rarely come here. ._.

4. Incentives for people to join RPGs, such as posts in the RPG board counting in the overall post count.

That may end up leading to little more than a bunch of one-liners. The only people who will be incentivated to begin RPGing if posts now count toward post count would be those who are desperate to up their rank in the first place.

But I do agree with incentives in general! Like...like muffins!

Snowraptor

The Arctic Menace...
That I actually agree with more than my own ideas. If it could be held with consistency I think it´d be a pretty big help.

I´ve been to a bunch of forums with a similar if not identical system, and the thing is that it tends to degenerate into "GYAAAAAAAAAAAHHH *shoots with a thousand revolves drives explosive stake through skull casts spell of ultimate cosmos destruction*" "*uses seekrit revival magics*", because people either don´t want to lose or put no effort into it or both. That, and not every RPGer in SPPf is that interested in sole battling. Although I guess you could make an argument that many of them are. Also, the concept of battling for the sake of battling with no reason or plot is kinda sad and goes against the standard of quality that this place is apparently trying to...uphold? I think.

But I do agree with incentives in general! Like...like muffins!

Make it pie and you've got a deal.

I thought it was it was a pretty good idea, and excuse me for trying to save an RPG forum that just heard of.

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
This is what I think we need to help improve the RPG system around here.

1. It would be based on pokemon or be an original idea. Using a 'popular' anime only goes as far as how much people know about it.
2. There is a list of cliches in the rules.
3. You are posting in it.
4. I don't see what post count has to do with the RPG forum. If people start posting here just to raise their post count, i'd rather they left the forum altogether. The RPGs are for people to enjoy themselves, not to make the pretty picture under their name change.

Snowraptor

The Arctic Menace...
The RPGs are for people to enjoy themselves, not to make the pretty picture under their name change.
So thats a rank indicator! I thought it had to do with that weird pokemon battle forum.

What about an RP based on a popular video game, other than pokemon, like Halo (I started working on one today for it)

I do have a problem with having just a few RPs for helping newbies. To many people posting and it makes the RP 3+ pages long, scaring away people with it's imposing post count. Try a board.

Last edited:

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
So thats a rank indicator! I thought it had to do with that weird pokemon battle forum.

What about an RP based on a popular video game, other than pokemon, like Halo (I started working on one today for it)

I do have a problem with having just a few RPs for helping newbies. To many people posting and it makes the RP 3+ pages long, scaring away people with it's imposing post count. Try a board.

Just because you enjoy a game or anime does not mean the majority will. This is a pokemon forum, so it can be assumed that 99% of people here like pokemon in one form or another, that's why it's the easiest choice to go with.

Snowraptor

The Arctic Menace...
Just because you enjoy a game or anime does not mean the majority will. This is a pokemon forum, so it can be assumed that 99% of people here like pokemon in one form or another, that's why it's the easiest choice to go with.
I agree. The problem with a pokemon RP though, is that if we stick to the classic formula people will be posting level 100 teams composed entirely of legendaries. If we are to do a pokemon rp it should be something more along the lines of "pokemon mystery dungeon". That might help in moderating it as they can only be ONE pokemon. Maybe we can compliment it with a quiz like in the game to help (or control) people from making their character a shiny deoxys or something. This is just an idea.

InnerFlame

Fire and Ice Combo
Razor_Leaf said:

That’s so an awesome idea though it how would you go about finding RPG, Character, and Post of the week? Who would be in charge of it and would to newbie Rper get any said?

I really think it a great idea but we need to plan and think about it before we just jump into a create it.

Snowraptor said:
So that’s a rank indicator! I thought it had to do with that weird pokemon battle forum.

Well… I’m not the biggest game player… I’ve play many games but I’ve only beat a very few of them. The ones I do beat are ones of my favorite.

I guess there aren’t many RPG that are best for newbie. I’ve been working on one but I’m but unsure if I would be very good at it… I can barely get RPers for my first RPG and I’ve never been leader… Would the RPG Café be a good place to ask about advice about being a Gamemaster?

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
I agree. The problem with a pokemon RP though, is that if we stick to the classic formula people will be posting level 100 teams composed entirely of legendaries. If we are to do a pokemon rp it should be something more along the lines of "pokemon mystery dungeon". That might help in moderating it as they can only be ONE pokemon. Maybe we can compliment it with a quiz like in the game to help (or control) people from making their character a shiny deoxys or something. This is just an idea.

If we were making a pokemon RPG for newbies, I think we'd have the common sense to put a limit on level 100 legendary filled teams. And not everybody has played Mysterious dungeon.

Ledian_X

Don Ledianni
If we were making a pokemon RPG for newbies, I think we'd have the common sense to put a limit on level 100 legendary filled teams. And not everybody has played Mysterious dungeon.

Hey Dan? Think a Pokebabies style RPG would work here?

For those who don't know, Pokebabies was an immensely popular RPG created at TPM where the creator Soo had me and several other people start off as stage one pokemon on an adventure be it burning forest and looking for a home or dealing with humans.

We picked basic stages and eventually evolved. This was made well before Pokemon Dungeon but it is kind of like that where were Anthromorphized. We were pokemon that talked and some were more agressive than others.

Just wondering if Soo's idea would work here. Worked at TPM didn't it? Course, people knew to pick stage ones. No legendaries. Can evolve if you wanted to.

I know I'd like to play even though my character Lex retired.

LX

pipersgirl™

<This girl rocks!!

For those who don't know, Pokebabies was an immensely popular RPG created at TPM where the creator Soo had me and several other people start off as stage one pokemon on an adventure be it burning forest and looking for a home or dealing with humans.

We picked basic stages and eventually evolved. This was made well before Pokemon Dungeon but it is kind of like that where were Anthromorphized. We were pokemon that talked and some were more agressive than others.

Just wondering if Soo's idea would work here. Worked at TPM didn't it? Course, people knew to pick stage ones. No legendaries. Can evolve if you wanted to.

LX

Wow, I love that idea. We should do that.

Ledian_X

Don Ledianni
Yeah and we'd probably get more people here than at TPM right now. Their RPG forum's kinda inactive, too. Mostly due to summer and all that. I alredy know I'd be a riolu...probably with a Rocky Balboa or Scrappy Doo persona.

LX

Psychic

Really and truly
Snowraptor said:
Well I don’t know what forum you’ve been living on, but on SPPf in the Sign-Up sheet we just put “max 6 Pokémon, no Legendaries” and nine times out of ten the people who sign up are literate and listen to the restriction. Plus there IS no “classic formula,” and we don’t generally allow generic trainer RPs, as we tend to get lots of much better, more exciting RP plots. There’s no need for us to change to ONLY Mystery Dungeon or anything because frankly, the current Pokémon RPs are just fine.

Ledian_X said:

LX
You wouldn’t know this because you never actually glance at a Pokémon RP for more than three seconds (no offence meant and no speech wanted) but we have had dozens upon dozens of RPGs where the RPers play Pokémon who act independently of humans while having near-human intelligence. I will give you three recent examples right off the bat: my Plight at the Power Plant, The Champions by Kyuubii and Disturbance by Candis Lupis. Other recent ones you can include are Lady Myuu’s CLONES, masterwannabe’s Fable of the Fallen and the list just goes on and on.

If you wanted to do another Pokébabies or something remotely similar with that main idea you’d need to get Soo’s consent first. However I personally have two RPGs I am currently working on that are also about Pokémon who get into a spot of trouble :)D), though I don’t know which to make first. Either way, point is that it's nothing new and it's been done before.

If enough people want it, I could try to start an RPG School of sorts for RPers of different levels. A few helpers with stronger Rping skills would be lovely, too.
I just need to get past the Sign-Up lessons, not to mention create a good plot because the regular Trainer RPG...well, I just didn't see it going very far.

~Psychic

Ledian_X

Don Ledianni
Pretty sure Soo wouldn't mind but yeah I'll drop her a line on her facebook or something. Was planning on doing that anyway.

Yes, I saw the RPGs you speak of like yours. But, this wouldn't just be all electric types. This'd be something involving all types from abra to zubat (first forms. Abomasnow's left out)

I'nm just asking Dan really if the idea would fly. Nice to see similar RPGs but, Pokebabies was done a little differently. If TPM didn't moved or pruned the RPG, I'd show ya but I did save one of the RPGs. The first two. If you want to see them, [Psychic] let me know.

Really wish the most current one was saved. I do have a title for it too. Pokebabies: Generations

LX

Last edited by a moderator:

Eeveeking929

Khajmer's Back Baby!
I didn't read past page 2 and a half (out of boredom), so if anything I say does not pertain to the current discussion, but does to the previous one, then I apologize.

Lack of activity

Two words for you (well, two words followed by a possibly over-elaborate elaboration that I've become so famous for in my arguing.)
IT'S SUMMER!
People are on vacation, enjoying the remarkably pleasent weather (well, where I live anyway, can't say for the rest of the world), spending time with their families, enjoying the vacation time from school and work, enjoying their real communities instead of their virtual ones. True, none of the problems brought up here has actually been helping, but they aren't the greater reason behind it. The fact is that a good chunk of people on these forums are people like me who spend a long day at work or school, then bring home a bunch of stuff to do, eat dinner, return to the stuff they brought back, and then have a few hours at the end of the day to check up on their forums, talk to their online friends, and then curl up with a good book before going to bed and then starting the cycle all over again first thing in the morning. Not the perfect existence, but it works for us. Now, we have the freedom of vacation time, and don't have to do the whole "all work and no play" thing. That gives us freedom to spend time with people who's faces we actually know and can recognize on sight as opposed to the little everchanging picture floating next to whatever they say. Sad for the rest of us? Yes, but that's what happens, and there's nothing we can do to control it. I can guarantee that if you just wait until the fall, then we'll have plenty of our members back.

RP Academy
Been done, in many places. That's been made clear, as well as that they have a tendency of dying due to lack of interest. However, that does not make them failures. They do serve to help improve the few people who actually sign up and take the lessons. It does nothing to get rid of the n00bs, but it does help out the newbs. Therefore, I would like to side with those who want another RP Academy, and will start one myself if the mods are unwilling to give it another try.

Mini-mods (the mean things that were said near the end of page one)
Hi. I'm Eeveeking929, professional mini-mod. I restrain myself here because the mods have ridiculous rules against it which I can't comprehend the reason behind. We are not, in fact the mods "right-hand little pricks", as it was so bluntly put. We are, in fact, a form of back-up for the mods who do our best to assist and encourage leess experienced RPers who try to make RPs before they are ready. In fact, there are only two differences between us and the mods. 1. We are unable to lock threads, and 2. I have never seen a mod include pointing out of the things that were done right, only what was wrong. When the mods do that, they actually discourage many younger RPers whether they know it or not, causing them to leave, unsure of their abilities and thus alienating someone who could have a lot of potential. What mini-mods do is encourage getting better and giving advice on how to do so instead of just pointing to the rules and locking the thread.

The Rules
Yeah, fellow members, give it up before you even start. The mods are stubborn. It's doubtful that they will ever change any of the rules. Ever. Until the end of time. At least not to make it less strict. More strict, most definitely. I've been saying they're too strict since I got here. Don't even bother to try.

pipersgirl™

<This girl rocks!!
Maybe another reason some people arent posting is because they are worried that any "fight" or "argument" they have gotten in with the RPG creator will decrease their chances of getting in, meaning that people might not let someone join solely due to their past differences. Dont beat me up now.