• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

RPG Ideas and Wishes

Zalck

Back Again...
Is/was anyone else ever into Yugioh? I have some Ideas for a Yugioh RP, you wouldn't need info from the show, just knowing the basics of Yugioh. You can have only played the traditional old game, or all the way to current.

The RP would be characters that represent an 'arch-type' or general theme of monsters. You'd have a 'Guardian' card that acted as the leader of your deck. 'Duels' wouldn't be real, it'd be more of an anime-combat type of thing. Haven't put together a real storyline yet.

So, would anyone be interested in joining this? I'm willing to put in the work if other would join.

CptDrDigi

Chickity China
@ Zalck,

I would definitely be up for a Yugioh RP, and the Guardian idea sounds pretty interesting.

SoulMuse

Shadow of nothing
I like the idea of a yu gi oh RP, but I am not sure I would join since I haven't kept up with the last four or five years of it, so I would probably have to spend a lot of time doing extra reading.

Guess it would depend on how much of the really new stuff you used, and exactly how much knowledge was needed to play/.

Last edited:

Nythe

Mostly Harmless
I stopped playing Yugioh a few years ago, but I'd probaly join this sort of RP.

Delta Hunter

The G-Rank MH
You can count me in on that, it sounds like a very interesting idea. Though what do you mean exactly about the 'decks aren't real' ? THere are free Yugioh services online that could let players play a game, and the winner inform the GM of the outcome.

Monster Guy

Fairy type Trainer
You can count me in on that, it sounds like a very interesting idea. Though what do you mean exactly about the 'decks aren't real' ? THere are free Yugioh services online that could let players play a game, and the winner inform the GM of the outcome.

It'd probably be more like we RP the monsters actually fighting and stuff, as opposed to playing a TCG.

Certain deck archetypes are terrible in real life. In the anime, the characters can pull out whatever card they need the moment they need them. It doesn't work that way in real life. :/

AJ2000

Hmmm...a Yugioh RP. I stopped playing Yugioh, so I'm not sure if I would be up to date on all the latest stuff, but I'm interested in seeing how the RP will be.

BugPokemonMaster316

Is/was anyone else ever into Yugioh? I have some Ideas for a Yugioh RP, you wouldn't need info from the show, just knowing the basics of Yugioh. You can have only played the traditional old game, or all the way to current.

The RP would be characters that represent an 'arch-type' or general theme of monsters. You'd have a 'Guardian' card that acted as the leader of your deck. 'Duels' wouldn't be real, it'd be more of an anime-combat type of thing. Haven't put together a real storyline yet.

So, would anyone be interested in joining this? I'm willing to put in the work if other would join.

A Yugioh RP sounds interesting. I haven't played it or watched the show since I was seven, but I'm pretty sure I remember most of the basics.

Also, the 'arch-type' thing is similar to some of the characters from the original show I think. Like how there was that one guy who used all insect-like monsters and the guy who used all the dinosaurs or something. Is that how that would work?

I think a good plot would be that you and your friends take a journey to the ruins of an ancient civilization, and then are somehow transported back in time to a prehistoric world. In order to get to the next age, you would need to beat the head of the most powerful civilization at the time to obtain an item that allows you to advance to the next major age in history. As you go forward, your monsters in your deck can adapt or evolve to fit with the new age. Also, once back in your time, you would need to head into the future to stop some team or someone.

This is just a rough idea I thought up in a few minutes. Anyone like it?

Zalck

Back Again...
Alright. I've got a plot and we'll need 8 players. I'm working on it with a friend who is a big fan of yugioh but has never RPed before so he'll be joining us. We're at a conference until Sunday, I'll post the sign up then.

Corrosion

Hello Kitty =/= Cat
@Digipoke: certainly! Combining two of my favorite things.... What would the storyline be like?

CptDrDigi

Chickity China
Basically, the rough idea was that in the beginning there was Yggdrasil, Fanglongmon, and Ogudmon. Ogudomon attempted a hostile take over, and failed, and now millenniums after portals have begun appearing all over the Digi World, and a Cult whose head honcho believe that it is Ogudomon attempting to claw itself back into the world. So as the heroes you'll have to figure out what is causing the portals, and how to stop them before the Cult becomes too empowered in the world.

Only thing is, I don't know if I should do it with Digimon only, or Human turn into Digimon, or a mix.

Corrosion

Hello Kitty =/= Cat
Hmm...if it's Digimon only, then that would be fun but kinda boring. Humans turning into Digimon would be too close to the PMD games; humans working with Digimon would quickly turn into people concentrating on one or the other and signing up for Digimon only unless they need humans for something (maybe have people signup not as two characters, but as a human or Digimon and then randomly assign them partners?). A mix sounds kinda fun, but it might run into the problem above.

The plot sounds good.

Hotshot

I've had a few potential RPG ideas as of late. Lemme know what you think of 'em.

First, a mystery-missions RPG loosely inspired by reading the first few chapters of Soul Eater. So...following a similar train of thought:
For everyone, there is a time to live and a time to die. When a person dies, his or her soul travels to either heaven or hell, but where that soul travels is irrelevant. What is relevant is that there are souls who are simply too attached to this world. They don't want to leave it behind; their friendships, their family, their belongings, their money, their life.

When they try to fight the pull on their soul, they become specters, ghouls, ghosts, spirits...the things that haunt this world. They wreak havoc on the bodies, minds, and even the souls of innocent, living people, in a desperate attempt to drag them down with them.

And that is where we come in.

Normal (well, sort of) teenagers by day... Reapers by night. Trained to reap wandering souls, we are sent out every night to send those souls who just won't let go into the afterlife. Our means of doing so are all different...but one thing is the same. We all utilize special, ghastly weapons...weapons that are alive, and (besides their weapon forms) can take the shape of any living creature (humans, cats, dogs, anything).

These Weapons are our partners, and every Reaper must have one (and only one).

Now, you've obviously heard of the Grim Reaper (who hasn't?). Well, he is the most famous (and infamous) of all Reapers. He was once the best, but eventually, the dead weren't enough. He moved on to killing the living, and then reaping their souls. Rule One of a Reaper: You must not kill a living human.

He broke it. And for a long time now he's been on the loose. He kills almost as quickly as mankind reproduces, though he's been catching up quickly. Soon we'll have to contend with the strongest Reaper of all time, and it won't be pretty.

--- Now, my difficulty with this is that it may be almost too much like what I know of Soul Eater (which isn't much; just the basic premise). If that's so, the "living" weapon-partners idea may have to be scratched. Perhaps loyal ghosts could become their weapons? Or the weapons could just be...not alive?

Essentially, the RPG would consist of solving mysterious ghost-happenings and hauntings (with some murder mystery), and would revolve around individual missions more so than a central plot (at least at first). Perhaps a central plot could unravel itself?

My second idea is one I have been partial to for quite some time, and have tried it on a few occasions. Perhaps after some tweaks it will work:
The last couple of times, this RP has revolved around the divine, and their conflicts bleeding over into human affairs (meanwhile, a vicious coup has resulted in the usurpation of the throne of imperial Japan). This world encompasses many aspects of Shinto mythology, including deities, yokai (spirits and monsters), and so forth.

Generally, it has revolved around a couple of lead characters who seem to gain a handful of motley comrades in a quest to stop evil from being unleashed. However, I wonder if perhaps the plot would do better to have concrete sides already established. Perhaps a number of clans are fighting for control of the land, and maybe even some yokai/human alliances have been forged. It could become a fantasy-war-skirmish sort of RPG, where humans (and yokai) battle for dominance. Perhaps there could be some greater workings on the divine plane as well, of which most humans are unaware.

Thoughts?

And finally, I've had this idea spinning for a while:

This RPG involves traveling through dimensions using an old method that’s been in the family for centuries… (The idea being that about half the RPers are related, and that the others somehow are connected to this family. But this idea can be scratched.)

The source of these dimension-traveling spaces are like intricate circles...the ancient Celts caught on to them, and fashioned many of their symbols after the intertwining nature of the portals/universe. Every trail has a middle-point, and a number of passages (or trails) that can be followed. They all connect in some way; they are not totally separated from one another. However, should the dimensional rift (usually a very small tear) be damaged (or grow too large), it could very well cause the entire dimension to collapse upon itself… And the one it is connected to could very well be destroyed as well. Worst case scenario: domino effect, and all connecting dimensions collapse.

When you stand at a Crossroads, you really have multiple choices...you can go through any of the connected portals that surround you in a circular pattern (the one directly behind being your own--or last visited--world).

Traveling across worlds is a dangerous business...one that threatens the safety of the universe (and others, even).

Portals are generally marked by something: a stone (or lots of big ones… Stonehenge, anyone?), stick, a sign, anything semi-odd (but not overtly so), a peculiar gravestone, graffiti, etc.

The dimensions are patrolled by inter-dimensional beings called "Guardians" or "Watchers" (ideas?). Those who travel across dimensions are hunted by these guardians, good or bad.

And then there would be some bad guys who are out to get something by traveling through dimensions (what that is, I'm not sure yet).

The good guys are hunted by Guardians, racing against the bad guys (who are also hunted by Guardians), and are struggling to keep their universes from collapsing.
- That said, as we travel through different dimensions/realities/worlds, old characters can be killed off, and new ones brought in from different dimensions (by RPers who are already a part of the game).

As you can see, it's still really rough. Ideas? Input? And for the dimensions: Alternate realities or entirely different worlds? (And would that go so far as having different sentient species, or would they remain human?)

Tell me what you think. Your input is appreciated.

Schade

Metallic Wonder
I really like the concept for Specter High, it sounds really interesting
But would there be one major bad-guy then?

Hotshot

I really like the concept for Specter High, it sounds really interesting
But would there be one major bad-guy then?

Well, most likely not. The RPG would probably function more in arcs, with a major bad-guy (or two) per arc... With an overarching, gradually-unfolding BIG mystery-plot that isn't solved/resolved until the very end. Then we'd get down to one major bad-guy. He probably wouldn't be the one behind all of the problems, though. Many of those would arise simply from being a reaper.

rotrum

Ice Cold
Here's a wish, since I've never GM'd before and frankly I'm too rusty at RPing to attempt it.

In spirit of The International 3 tournament for DotA2 and the upcoming gundam Build Fighters, something tournament-based seems to be in order. Likely with a real overarching plot with the tournament just being the background or the instigator, since competition over who will win could get pretty messy. Whether it's gundam customization or people taking on the roles of various DotA2 heroes (And I supposed from a tournament perspective, it would be 1v1) or something else. Just a little wish of mine, preferably something where you don't need a background in the subject-world, just a bit of research, and preferably not pokemon because pokemon tournaments have been done to death.

Pokefan0234

Ka-Ra-Tay!
Here's a wish, since I've never GM'd before and frankly I'm too rusty at RPing to attempt it.

In spirit of The International 3 tournament for DotA2 and the upcoming gundam Build Fighters, something tournament-based seems to be in order. Likely with a real overarching plot with the tournament just being the background or the instigator, since competition over who will win could get pretty messy. Whether it's gundam customization or people taking on the roles of various DotA2 heroes (And I supposed from a tournament perspective, it would be 1v1) or something else. Just a little wish of mine, preferably something where you don't need a background in the subject-world, just a bit of research, and preferably not pokemon because pokemon tournaments have been done to death.

I unfortunately know very little of DotA, but it'd be fun to take a bunch of super-powered heroes and have them fight to the death. >=) The only thing that I'd be concerned about is PvP. Most RPs with a tournament involved have PvP at some point, and if it's not done correctly (or sometimes even if it's done correctly) there can be issues with deciding the outcome of matches and whatnot. =/

Also, instead of tying in the story with DotA2, you could always base the story on DotA but make all the characters, places, etc. original. It'd take out any references to the DotA franchise, unfortunately, but it would also make the RP much more accessible to people who aren't familiar with the games.

Last edited:

rotrum

Ice Cold
Yeah the PvP was an issue and that's why I said the tournament would need to be a background or an instigator, so that it wouldn't really be too big of a deal over who won.

And the heroes only have a few paragraphs worth of lore and powers, so I don't think they'd have too much knowledge required. The game itself requires no lore so most people familiar with the game don't even know it.