• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

RPG Ideas and Wishes

Firebrand

Indomitable
@Firebrand

There's an idea. The only reason I'm wary about that is that it leaves a good chunk of interaction with one's self. Of course, instead of just role-playing the development of one character through their trials, this lets players develop a relationship, seeing how two strangers who are forced to work together deal with the Reapers' Game. Of course, inter-team interaction would still exist; some foes would be too great for one pair to defeat alone, etc. It's a great idea, really, thanks.

I don't know about the archetypes though. Character personalities should be up to the players, and if they want to take inspiration from something like Jungian archetypes, that's their prerogative, but I wouldn't require it. Compared to other character "splats" like Tarot Arcana (in a Persona game), which have a fair degree of interpretation despite the character types, the archetypes seem to be a little narrower.

Right, player to player interaction could still happen, but it would encourage people with good writing skills who have long-term goals for their characters to join because they wouldn't necessarily be limited to what developments they could bring out by interactions solely with other characters. There could be more introspective elements as well, plus P-vs.-P things would be even more interesting because it's not like a player will be screwing over someone they allied with just a few challenges ago. They could really be ruthlessly in it to win it.

And I only proposed the archetype thing because it would ensure that people would enlist with two distinctly different characters, because the whole point of the Reaper Game is to connect with someone not like you and overcome challenges together. It's just a bit more lax than saying "Okay, so you have one character who is a kindhearted but closed-off introvert, so your other character must be a cynical extrovert who always speaks their mind". Not saying Jungian archetypes or even any other character framework is the best way to go, but imo it's one of the easier templates to use and to juxtapose with. Ultimately, it really doesn't matter how you do it, but I think that RP would be best if each player controlled two characters. It's not even like that would be too far a stretch because, like I said yesterday, TWEWY is a game where you control two people simultaneously.

TylerPhoenix

I'm glad to be back!
Just thought I'd throw out that I've talked to more than one RP'er here who think the return of a typical region run-through for Pokemon wold be fun to see again, if we can get people to hold firmly and dedicate themselves to updating it, with it being a run-through. If anyone thinks they'd be willing to RP in this, just drop me a VM, so I can see if there's interest before I or anyone else takes some action on developing the idea further - I'm sure people appreciate myself or others don't want to spend a fair while sorting out an RP plot/basis/etc then have it collapse with no interest.

Anyway, VM/PM me if you have suggestions, questions, or even just to say 'yeah I could go for this'.

Mr. Owl

Wings of Wisdom
I am interested in seeing a Dragon Age RP, or even a generic fantasy RP. I think it would be fun. I am willing to work on one as long as there is someone interested in GMing with me. If anyone is interested in seeing this happen or wants to help me develop an RP, message me.

DVB

Philosopher Knight
I will be honest. I really really want to see someone do a Power Rangers RP. There are a few things that haven't been done with it and I would love to see it.

bronislav84

I <3 Catgirls
In all honesty DVB, that's been on my mind for years and years. Unfortunately Super Megaforce makes my idea pretty much obsolete, but I can tell you the idea I had in case you like it.

A couple hundred years after the shows, so as to not mess with any current and future shows, the Guardian of Time senses a disturbance. A certain villain who I haven't named yet wants to destroy the Power Rangers and undo all the good the various teams have done over the years. To this end, he or she time travels to the ORIGINAL beginning of everything. This would be either in the Japanese Senshi series before it started airing in English, or Mighty Morphin if you wanna stay in the English shows, and starts messing with past encounters. The Rangers of that era lose, and time starts being altered to the point where it would soon be irreparable. The Guardian of Time creates a team of 3 boys and 2 girls or 2 boys and 3 girls (Team needs a name) and sends them to the past to right the wrongs. This villain would eventually time travel again to a future era, and the Rangers would need to purse. Eventually we run out of shows for the villain to go to and they make a last stand.

Since the Rangers of these eras have already lost to their respective bad guys with the help of this time traveling villain, this time traveling team would have the ability to take on the powers of the team that lost and right the wrongs that happened in that time by defeating the bad guys of that era, thus fixing that timeline and restoring the respect the world at the time has for the team that lost. They would then give the powers back to that team and follow the villain they're pursuing.

This RP would require heavy knowledge of the shows, research into the Japanese ones if we so choose, and at least 3 GMs to choose where the bad guy or girl time travels to to make this fun for the players.

Last edited:

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
While I have to admit that I'm next to clueless about anything Power Ranger, that set-up sounds a bit over-complicated Bron, if 3 GMs are needed to make it work. To quote Death Note, 'the more people involved in a plan, the lower the rate of success.'

Avenger Angel

Warrior of Heaven
Yeah, hate to say it, Bron, but the chances of you being able to find what you need for that Power Rangers RP is between nil to slim. I would strongly recommend fine-tuning the RP so that anyone who reads your sign up can get in on it, whether they've watched the television shows or not. With that said, I don't recommend the time-traveling idea either. It does sound like it could get awfully complicated and confusing.

bronislav84

I <3 Catgirls
So then you both see why I haven't been able to do this and had the idea for it in my head for like ten years. It's probably always going to stay just that: An idea. That is unless somebody wants to take the task of finishing and fine tuning it for me, which I'm fine with. As for making it accessible, with Power Rangers the nature of the beast is you usually need to know what it's based on.

Last edited:

Firebrand

Indomitable
I had an idea for an RPG set where a lot of seemingly ancient artifacts appeared, each one granting the one who wielded it a superhuman ability of some kind. The RPG would be set about 5 years after this happened, and society had mostly gone to hell, with a lot of feudalist warlords having carved up the Western hemisphere (well, the entire world but focusing on the Western hemisphere) into a lot of small kingdoms and nation states.

Basically players would have an artifact of some kind, be it a sword or bangle or crown or staff or... literally anything provided it could conceivably have been developed by an Iron Age civilization or earlier. I've got a few ideas for a couple of warlords and factions that people could join up with, or you could have your character be a warlord and stake out a territory of your own. I think the RPG would come down to player to player combat in time, because the nature of the story would include a lot of territorial struggles as the new kingdoms tried to expand their reach. Basically, I just want to make an RPG with incredibly powerful people in positions where they can do a lot of damage. It seems like a fun idea, and while it's far too loose for me to write like an story around, the plot lends itself well to an RPG. I just don't know who would be interested in something like that.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Having it set after the fact sounds like a good idea. I've done a lot of RPG's where people have just gotten an item that makes them powerful, and players either go mad with power too soon, or are nervous to use their power at all, because finding the balance can be hard. And since there's a mix of both in the RPG, you have a god throwing lighting bolts a player whose character hasn't realized their power yet... If you're going to have Warlords and Warriors under them, you may want to make it so that there are minor artifacts the Warriors can weild, or have the major artifacts be able to impart a power to Warriors at the owner's will.

Firebrand

Indomitable
I had thought to leave the relative power levels up to the players' judgment, with the GM having the final word in whether something was too powerful or not. And granted, if the RPG would be large-scale, I would consider having some kind of system in place wherein X amount of people would have warlord-tier artifacts and Y amount of people would have minor level artifacts beneath them, but I don't see many RPGs here that have more than like 7 players so I don't see that being an issue. Basically it comes down to personal preference, depending on how people want to play. If they want to set themselves up as a warlord, then they'll need the firepower and manpower to back themselves up, even if that manpower comes in the form of NPCs, though they would need the firepower to control said NPCs. Or if someone wants to be a road warrior type of character, they would need sufficient power to make striking out on their own a viable option in a dangerous world, or perhaps powers so great they need isolation to keep themselves or other people safe (that was an idea I had for an NPC character, a soldier for hire who has incredible destructive potential he can't control and so doesn't stay in any one place for long). Or maybe they just want to be part of an army and see where that goes, so the player takes a mid-level power that, while still much greater than an average human, doesn't put them at odds with the clashing titans.

I had ideas for a few NPCs that lead factions and so on, like a warlord with control over plants who is in the top-tier and is interested in conquest but is a just and fair man, an empowered army major and his lieutenant that are propping up the remnant of the US government, the aforementioned death-seeking rover, an old woman who's artifact granted her necromancy hiding out in Appalachia, a pseudo-Viking war chief who set himself up in Maine, etc. Basically there are options for players to interact with characters who aren't just player characters, because I think early in the RPG they would start out a little far-flung eventually coming together for... reasons. I don't know precisely what yet, but probably a large territorial war.

And yeah, I set it years after the fact because by then most of society as we know it would have fallen apart, the feuding powers would have crippled global communication and trade, and by then everyone knows how to use their respective powers so there's no lengthy learning arcs.

Slipomatic

Eon Collector
Heh, I may be inactive, but I'm not dead, yet. While the idea of artifacts or stuff like sounds unique, I think there have been a few that have done something similar to this. I think there were a few RPGs dealing with crystals holding immense powers and selecting x players due to compatibility and what not. I have nothing against this idea, but I can see players ruining the rpg with too much free reign of powers in the artifacts. It needs to be more limited and not open. AKA, said artifacts can not have any abilities/powers remotely even close to godlike powers. It wouldn't make sense especially if you're going off of iron age. Nothing during that time could withstand such extreme powers unless you consider using jewelry having some kind of immense durability. (Do not get me started on how some crystals are extremely durable, I know why and know how it is easily broken also.)

Enough of ranting on how bad the idea could go. It is a decent concept, but needs a bit more fine tunement in the artifact section and perhaps make it where major artifacts are un-owned or not found yet. Just a bad idea of saying x ppl get major artifact and y ppl get minor artifacts. Balance it out, but all players should start with minor artifacts if any at all.

Personally, I'd like to see an RPG using most of the concept behind pokemon conquest, with some slight changes like no "turn" based combat. Players would be involved in said battle also, battling with their pokemon and both can die or if pokemon dies, said player will have to go into hiding "run from battle" and spend next few days either recovering said loss with another partnered pokemon if you had another beforehand, or searching for a new partner after "grieving" period is over. Goal as usual, unite the land under your power/flag.

A few twists I could throw in is the alliance/merge aspect in that you could make alliances or merge completely with another players army. And you could choose to defect later, albeit if before a major battle, you options would be limited and could be viewed as untrustworthy in other players since the player who said player defected from could declare player untrustworthy via newsletters/bounties/couriers.

I think I'll stop for now, don't think my idea would catch on anyways. :p

EDIT - My idea is too complicated to make into an RPG. Too complicated to keep track of 17 kingdoms along with making sure posts are decent length. AKA, 1 post should equate to roughly a day in the rpg. Just working out details just on rules alone is almost 1k words. Yeah.... too many rules to make it not fun to do, although hardcore RPers might find the challenge interesting...

Last edited:

NPC

sleep researcher
Would anyone be interested in a Fire Emblem RPG? It would go down roughly the same way as the games, but with significantly more variety in missions (stealth, diplomacy, siege, etc.) and more room for character development outside of battle.

Monster Guy

Fairy type Trainer
Would anyone be interested in a Fire Emblem RPG? It would go down roughly the same way as the games, but with significantly more variety in missions (stealth, diplomacy, siege, etc.) and more room for character development outside of battle.

Lol, I just bought Fire Emblem Awakening two weeks ago. xD I'd be down for this.

GoldenHouou

antagoonist
Lol, I just bought Fire Emblem Awakening two weeks ago. xD I'd be down for this.

You're late. Way late.

Long as the FE rp won't involve too much playing around with stats and stuff, could be fun. Personally, I probably won't have time to join though. But I can see it working, long as the plot is better than int he games themselves, heh.

Also, loved Conquest, so any rp for that'd be awesome, Slip!

Hotshot

So I've been toying with this idea for a gijinka-ish RPG, and I think I've finally got it down pretty well...

It all started with Missingno.

A long, long time ago, before man appeared on the earth, Pokemon ruled. Many of these were of the same shape as the elemental beasts known today, but from among them emerged a humanoid creatures--links between the first men and their Pokemon cousins. These half-Pokemon, although a subspecies, possessed greater intelligence than their full-blood brethren, and quickly rose to dominance, constructing societies and procuring dominion over lesser beings. But some grew increasingly violent, and sought to enslave "lesser" Pokemon and rule over their fellow "higher" half-Pokemon by force.

In a desperate attempt to defeat these powerful enemies, the Seven Sages--wise and powerful leaders of the half-Pokemon--confronted them and with all their magic, taught to them by their god Arceus, sealed all 107 enemies away. But a sacrifice had to be made in order to successfully keep their spirits sealed. The Seventh Sage sacrificed herself as the final seal upon the enemies' tomb, and she alone held them captive for centuries.

Years later, when the spirits of 107 sealed enemies began to grow restless within their keystone, a mysterious necromancer broke through their seal and released them from their prison... The last to emerge was Missingno.

The premise of the RPG is that your character(s) would be enlisted to join in on a special team of select warriors sent to respond to the sudden invasion of demonic ghost-Pokemon, as well as a rise in hostile wild Pokemon. As the plot develops, enemies will rise, factions will form, armies will unite, and the battle will become a war for the world.

Speaking of, the world in question is an ancient, pre-human civilization under the authority of now-extinct sub-human/sub-Pokemon (gijinkas, essentially), which could account for ancient ruins and strange Pokemon like Claydol or Sigilyph which exist in the modern Pokemon world.

I've got a general timeline of events in mind, as well as numerous NPCs to get the game going. Just wanted to see if there was any interest.

tatsu-okami

I'm certainly hoping that I will have this RP/RPG premise nailed down by now given how many times I have done it in the past with various people. I suppose the premise in of itself is simple at the outset: it involves a Digimon that has been displaced into the world of Pokemon and ends up being discovered by a Pokemon trainer; despite the trainer being unable to capture the Digimon, they are able to convince it that it will be better off accompanying them, otherwise other passing trainers will simply attack in an attempt to capture it as well. From there, the trainer and Digimon at first simply go on the way with the trainer's current journey, but I can attest that the meat of this premise often comes with events that occur organically during the journey; many such events have started off as minor incidents, but typically ended up shaping the main plot, creating sub-plots, or creating character arcs later on in the RP.

One thing that I would like to note is that I have never tried this premise with more than two people (two counting myself) taking part in it, so I'm not exactly sure how I would go about that here; would I basically just be saying in this post 'hey, if anyone's interested in RPing this premise, shoot me a message or PM' or something to that effect? Not that I'm against doing such a premise in a group format, but I'm just not sure how it would play out given that it has always centered around only the Digimon and one Pokemon trainer (plus their Pokemon team) in the past.

Last edited:

Kitt Geekazaru

Infernape Trainer
Yes, please make a FE RPG. I would so play that. I'd also be up for a conquest RPG.
EDIT: Ok, so I'm going to elaborate a bit. I already have ideas for a FE RPG, but I would definitely let someone else do it. I would never start a conquest RPG, but I would join it.
I also had another idea for an RPG, one I wish to write a book about. It would be called "The Elementalists." It would be a two-part series. In the first part, everyone can join in, but a select few are Chosen Ones. The Chosen Ones are the main characters, but everyone can tag along. It is modern day. Everyone has two elements. No, not just Earth, wind, fire, and water, but an entire list of them: Storm, Force, Magic, Fire, Ice, Water, Ninja, Military, Earth, Light, and Dark, to name some of them. (Maybe all of them, that's all I can think of off the top of my head). Siblings will sometimes have the same elements, due to inheritance of elements, but they will not always have the same. There are 3 characters that I will control throughout the game, the main enemy, and two important characters. I will probably control more. After you discover your powers, a secret helicopter will take you to South America, where you will receive training. There are powerful artifacts hidden in places in the wilds, and the story is based upon one person finding a powerful dark artifact...

Last edited:

cmats4020

Would anyone want to join a City of Heroes/Villains RP? Or maybe a post-apocalyptic (Not an Apocalypse RP) X-Men RP? I have some ideas for either one, but I just want to see how many would be interested in either.

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
I've been wanting to do an RPG that doesn't take itself too seriously for a long time. The first one I attempted (Team Team and the Mysterious Device) was too far out of the box and failed quite quickly. I've been working on a Zelda RP, and a pokemon RP that are both pretty serious, but the fantasy world I'm creating is too... mature (in a "whoop boobs!" kind of way). A combination of all the above has led to me towards an Epic Battle Fantasy RPG. Is anyone interested? It's a pretty well known flash game, and you would kind of need to have played it (ideally EBF4, but EBF3 will suffice) to understand how the game works.