• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

RPG Ideas and Wishes

Avenger Angel

Warrior of Heaven
Please, we don't need more Digimon RPs. I swear, it feels we have more Digimon RPs than Pokemon RPs on what's supposed to be a Pokemon forum...

With that in mind, I agree, something with a PMD-like setting would be nice. It's hard, I have good ideas in mind, but I'm not in a good position to GM them also with regards to time. We need some kind of... RP adoption center, where a person can draft an RP up and someone else agrees to run and GM it. :p

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
All right. XD I was just saying the idea I had, that's all. Highly unlikely that I'll put it up. XP Besides, I'd love to join in on a PMD-like RP since PMD is my favorite series of Pokémon.

Slipomatic

Eon Collector
@Avenger Angel - With the idea of an RP adoption center, I'm sure we could get more RP ideas up and running on those willing to run it, but the posts would require quite a bit of tidying up. (AKA deletion of posts by moderators once the RPG is adopted and that the RP Adoption thread should not count towards post count.) Other than those small details, I would be up for supporting it. (A shame the spyro RPG I had thought of never caught on. :p )

Titan500

Solar Panels
I strongly agree. I know that at least my RP died due to me starting school and losing all of my time, but that would solve that problem.

It's still possible to revive it, you know?

Avenger Angel

Warrior of Heaven
I think one of the main issues would be that loads of people would just submit ideas and the number of ideas waiting for "adoption" would be far greater than ones that get picked up by a willing GM to run them. Not to mention the way the GM decides the run the RP could be starkly different from what the creator intended, but I guess that's one of the drawbacks of deciding not to run your own RP ideas...

Tangeh

For the adoption centre thing - isn't that close enough to what this thread is for anyways? You share ideas for RPs to gauge interest, and you could just say at the end "I'm not interested in GMing, but if anybody would like to start an RP like this I would definitely join"? If you look two pages back that's what they did with the Cardcaptor Sakura idea. Unless you mean one member writes out full threads for sign-ups etc. and offers them to other members? I don't think a lot of people would do that, unless they wrote it and then lost interest or don't have time or something, so it could be advertised on this thread and then handled through PMs?

I might be interested in a PMD RP. I'm not a fan of the games, but I can see it working as an RP.

Kamotz

God of Monsters
I've got some ideas in place for a futuristic fantasy/sci-fi Avatar RPG that takes place in a 300 year post-Legend of Korra world. Little bit of political intrigue, conflicts over evolving technologies, and a subtheme of "past vs progress."

Any interest?

Titan500

Solar Panels
Depends on how sci-fi it is, but yeah I'm pretty interested.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
Depends on how sci-fi it is, but yeah I'm pretty interested.

Same here. How Sci-Fi would we be discussing? Slightly post-modern, etc.

Either way, I would definitely be interested.

Kamotz

God of Monsters
Personally, I'd prefer the sci-fi to the Avatar/Korra aspect.

Well I'd be building off the progression the show already put in place. TLA was very heavily rooted in classic fantasy/medieval settings. LOK was influenced a lot by steampunk. This RPG would be more...cyberpunk...I guess. It's a bit stronger a term than I'd like to use, but that would essentially be the setting. Not so ridiculously advanced, somewhat along the lines of Ghost in the Shell (from what I remember of it).

Kamotz

God of Monsters
Update: A quick write up of the beginning plot and introduction of Book 1: Separation (tentative subtitle)

It has been 200 years.

200 since Avatar Korra quelled the Anti-Bending “Equalists,” 200 years since she vanquished Unalaq and Vaatu, 200 years since she defeated the Red Lotus Society; 200 years since she turned back the ambitions of Kuvira and brought peace to the Earth Kingdom.

A full cycle of Avatars have come and gone since then, ushering the ever-changing world into the future. In that time, the bridge between the Mortal and Spirit worlds grew stronger. Power and growth have been shared between the two, and the world has seen an unprecedented era of peace; one guarded and guided by each subsequent Avatar.

Now, the two worlds are closer than ever before; cooperation between humans and spirits has allowed for great leaps to be had in technology and society; in art and culture. Spirits brought with them power and ancient knowledge into the Mortal World; they brought unique bending forms and techniques lost to ages past; they brought knowledge that led to a new understanding of astronomy, mathematics, physics, and production; and through mutual understanding and cooperation, even the vines and plants of the Spirit Wilds granted humans access to the energy stored within.

Humans brought their cultures, technologies, and arts into the Spirit World. Human curiosity was boundless, and they partnered with the spirits to explore deeper and deeper into the Spirit World, mapping the world to an astonishing extent. They brought the advancements in technology and construction techniques to the Spirit World, allowing the spirits to create cultural and societal centers that mirrored those in the Mortal World.

Indeed, the cultural boundaries of the two worlds became less and less distinguishable. Humans mostly kept to larger settlements in the Spirit World, venturing out into the unknown only with spirit guides and when in search of adventure; though some opted to make pilgrimages into the wilderness and make it a permanent fixture in their lives. The same was true for spirits in the Mortal World.

Republic City became the center of this new relationship, and the spirit portal therein was a well-maintained and kept-after establishment, symbolizing the deep and interconnected relationship between the two worlds. It is the global hub for business, commerce, entertainment, industry, and developing technologies.

The world is at peace.

Or at least it was.

Tensions over the role humans and spirits were “meant” to play in the world came to a head when members of the triad were defeated and apprehended. Upon further investigation into the case, it was discovered that they had made pacts with some less-benevolent spirits for increased power and abilities. Much of the public--both human and spirit--became angry. Many blamed the other side for the resulting destruction and turmoil, resulting in riots and demonstrations in both worlds.

In the wake of the investigation, a once-miniscule movement called the Separatists rose up to prominence, demanding the immediate and complete separation of the Mortal World and Spirit World. They argued that this state was unnatural and unsustainable; that the world was only just beginning to feel the repercussions of the Avatar’s actions, and that time would only further worsen the influence humans and spirits had on one another.

The current Avatar stepped in to help mediate the situation with leaders of both the Mortal and Spirit worlds. But she was very young and very inexperienced. The conference, held in a public forum to address the needs of both humans and spirits, was attended by many--including members of the Separatist Movement.

The Separatists staged an attack on multiple levels; both psychological and physical. First, the most prolific speaker of the group took the stage and confronted the leaders of the Mortal and Spirit worlds on the issue of malevolent spirits. His tirade was verbose and maddening; little more than incensing language and inflammatory rhetoric designed to work the crowd into a frenzy. The rest of the Separatists waited until the perfect moment, where tempers were most pitched, before activating a deadly bomb. They sacrificed themselves in the process and decimated the area, killing dozens including leaders of both the humans and spirits.

In the conflagration, the Avatar was lost.

In the days and weeks that followed, the Order of the White Lotus searched for the Avatar, but to no avail. They began searching for the next Avatar in the cycle (a task that was now much easier to accomplish due to their advanced technology), but were unable to locate it. They feared the worst: that the Avatar had been slain in the Avatar State and the cycle had been broken. They were unable to confirm this, however, as the rising conflict between mortal and spirit required their utmost attention.

The world’s governments were forced to take decisive action to limit the damage caused by both sides. Most humans and spirits retreated to their home worlds, with entrances heavily regulated and guarded. Meanwhile, the fighting worsened between extremists on both sides, forcing drastic action. The Separatist leader, Takeshi Konda, led an incursion into the Spirit World. There, he stole a piece of divinity: the power of the barrier between the worlds themselves. With this, he would be able to lead the Mortal World to victory over the spirits and re-establish the “natural order.”

But the spirits were not willing to sit idly by while Konda and the humans acted in such a manner. They demanded that “the Heretic” return That Which Was Taken, warning of grave consequences should their call be ignored. This only incised Konda to redouble his efforts. The battle lines were drawn. And while the Order did its best to control and mediate the situation, the longer the conflict lasted without the Avatar, the worse it became.

Eight years have passed. Eight years of turmoil and bloodshed. Republic City has become a dangerous place; a stronghold for the Separatists and the most easily accessible route to the Spirit World. Battles between the two sides rage in the undercity, sometimes carrying out into the open. Law enforcement and officials struggle to contain the growing violence, but know they’re fighting a losing battle...they don’t know who they can trust.

Little does anyone know, but the Avatar has been found. She had been injured in the explosion and stripped of her memories. She wandered unknown for much of the last eight years, alone and destitute, trying to piece her life together. It was only when a lower member of the White Lotus recognized her and took her in that she discovered who she was supposed to be.

In the year since she was found, she has been working to regain what she lost. Her strength and abilities have begun to grow, but her past still eludes her. Now, even though she remembers so little of who she was; even though she doesn’t know who she can trust, she knows what she must do.

She is the Avatar. She is the Balance. And she will save the world.

Rinne

anata wo toosenbo
Update: A quick write up of the beginning plot and introduction of Book 1: Separation (tentative subtitle)

New-ish member who hasn't roleplayed in quite a while here, but with that...

...do I smell a Kamigawa/AtLA mashup here?

disgonbegood.jpg

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?

That's a good setup. How would you go about the signups? Would you do both sides, or just the side of the Avatar?

Kamotz

God of Monsters
It's just team avatar. Team "make sure everything doesn't go boom".

Slipomatic

Eon Collector
For the adoption centre thing - isn't that close enough to what this thread is for anyways? You share ideas for RPs to gauge interest, and you could just say at the end "I'm not interested in GMing, but if anybody would like to start an RP like this I would definitely join"? If you look two pages back that's what they did with the Cardcaptor Sakura idea. Unless you mean one member writes out full threads for sign-ups etc. and offers them to other members? I don't think a lot of people would do that, unless they wrote it and then lost interest or don't have time or something, so it could be advertised on this thread and then handled through PMs?

I might be interested in a PMD RP. I'm not a fan of the games, but I can see it working as an RP.

Meh, PMD RPs seem fine on paper, but one issue I had with the game and it does transfer over, (much to my regret and cringe worthy), repetitive RP setup for the game. It's usually the dungeon where it kills the RPG. Things progress so slowly in the dungeons that you either A, wait forever for your team mates (aka other RPers) to do their thing that little to no progress is made and ppl drop out. B, same as A, but this time too much action in said dungeon, aka play-by-play for every single floor and it becomes a clutter of confusion.

I like the game, but as RP material, it's not really recommended, at least in my opinion. Unless you have a really good method and plot, I think PMD has been beaten to death by now.

Tangeh

Meh, PMD RPs seem fine on paper, but one issue I had with the game and it does transfer over, (much to my regret and cringe worthy), repetitive RP setup for the game. It's usually the dungeon where it kills the RPG. Things progress so slowly in the dungeons that you either A, wait forever for your team mates (aka other RPers) to do their thing that little to no progress is made and ppl drop out. B, same as A, but this time too much action in said dungeon, aka play-by-play for every single floor and it becomes a clutter of confusion.

I like the game, but as RP material, it's not really recommended, at least in my opinion. Unless you have a really good method and plot, I think PMD has been beaten to death by now.

FYI it wasn't my idea; I was just stating possible interest to another user. I have no good ideas for a PMD RP as I don't like the games and don't know much about them tbh. >_> I know it's been beaten to death in the fanfic realm but I've never seen it as an RP (although no question they exist). I think what you're describing might be what happens when they use the game too heavily as a base? Idk, I feel like it could work if done properly.

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
Yeah, the dungeon would definitely kill it. Although, I think it'd be better to not include the dungeons, or, at the very least, make the dungeon a special dungeon where each floor/every few floors is a challenge in their own right (probably best saved as the last challenge though). I've seen it done in a fanfic, just so you know. But not in RP form. Still, I'd love it if someone manages to do a PMD RP 'cause the series is my number one favorite.

As for the sci-fi Korra RP, it's interesting. But I'm in too many RPs (three, to be precise) to join it any time soon. Perhaps in March or somethin'? When my country's schools are on summer break?

Kamotz

God of Monsters
Another idea I had recently was a Super Smash Brothers-type RPG. It's still in the very formative stages, so I'm not really sure HOW I'd be running it; whether as some sort of PVP concept or as something set up as PVP but then evolves into more of a super-crossover-adventure type RPG. Part of me wants to keep to Nintendo-specific characters, though I also like the idea of branching out across the gaming multiverse to incorporate other franchises (see Monty Oum's Dead Fantasy awesomeness).