• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

RPG Ideas and Wishes

Crash & Charm

Back I guess
Another idea I had recently was a Super Smash Brothers-type RPG. It's still in the very formative stages, so I'm not really sure HOW I'd be running it; whether as some sort of PVP concept or as something set up as PVP but then evolves into more of a super-crossover-adventure type RPG. Part of me wants to keep to Nintendo-specific characters, though I also like the idea of branching out across the gaming multiverse to incorporate other franchises (see Monty Oum's Dead Fantasy awesomeness).

you could have the game "Break down" and have the party go on a "Subspace Emissary" type quest to repair it. Just an idea.

You also could have it set in the smash mansion with a team aspect (with players divided into teams and such). You never know what could work.

FYI it wasn't my idea; I was just stating possible interest to another user. I have no good ideas for a PMD RP as I don't like the games and don't know much about them tbh. >_> I know it's been beaten to death in the fanfic realm but I've never seen it as an RP (although no question they exist). I think what you're describing might be what happens when they use the game too heavily as a base? Idk, I feel like it could work if done properly.

I have some ideas for a PMD RP. We could work collaboratively on it.

I was thinking it could play as sort of a survival horror type thing with all the players going from floor to floor in the dungeons.

There is also conquest? That would be tons of fun.

Last edited:

Tangeh

Another idea I had recently was a Super Smash Brothers-type RPG. It's still in the very formative stages, so I'm not really sure HOW I'd be running it; whether as some sort of PVP concept or as something set up as PVP but then evolves into more of a super-crossover-adventure type RPG. Part of me wants to keep to Nintendo-specific characters, though I also like the idea of branching out across the gaming multiverse to incorporate other franchises (see Monty Oum's Dead Fantasy awesomeness).

I was in a SSB RP YEARS ago (like, Brawl wasn't even announced yet that's how long ago it was xD) and it was tons of fun. IIRC they had it set up so that everyone was living in this hotel and could socialize during matches or watch matches when they went on. The matches were PVP and they incorporated a few new things like weather, and some characters were viewed as "underdogs" (like, I played Pikachu and it was a big deal when I beat Mewtwo but that was because there was a thunderstorm at the time so I was kinda OP xD). I think the matches were supposed to be round robin but I don't remember.

I have some ideas for a PMD RP. We could work collaboratively on it.

I was thinking it could play as sort of a survival horror type thing with all the players going from floor to floor in the dungeons.

There is also conquest? That would be tons of fun.

I'm not interested in GMing atm but I'd be down to bounce ideas around. Conquest interests me too.

Kamotz

God of Monsters
I was in a SSB RP YEARS ago (like, Brawl wasn't even announced yet that's how long ago it was xD) and it was tons of fun. IIRC they had it set up so that everyone was living in this hotel and could socialize during matches or watch matches when they went on. The matches were PVP and they incorporated a few new things like weather, and some characters were viewed as "underdogs" (like, I played Pikachu and it was a big deal when I beat Mewtwo but that was because there was a thunderstorm at the time so I was kinda OP xD). I think the matches were supposed to be round robin but I don't remember.

Yeah. I'm also not very familiar with the series as a whole after the first game. I played here and there but only sparingly. I'm not sure if there is any real sort of "plot" to the later games...all I remember from the 1st was that it seemed like they were all action figures in the end...

Tangeh

Yeah. I'm also not very familiar with the series as a whole after the first game. I played here and there but only sparingly. I'm not sure if there is any real sort of "plot" to the later games...all I remember from the 1st was that it seemed like they were all action figures in the end...

lol, there isn't. It's a fighting game. Unless you count the subspace emissary in SSBB which I guess provides a bit of world-building too (in that the characters live in separate but loosely connected worlds and meet up to fight - when defeated they turn into trophies), but that wasn't the main feature of the game. So there's a lot of flexibility if you can get creative.

Crash & Charm

Back I guess
I'm not interested in GMing atm but I'd be down to bounce ideas around. Conquest interests me too.

I wonder how a conquest RPG would play out...we would add a fairy kingdom and have each player be the head of a kingdom? I don't really know.
It could also be a quest type thing with the leaders just exploring the Ransei region.

Slipomatic

Eon Collector
I wonder how a conquest RPG would play out...we would add a fairy kingdom and have each player be the head of a kingdom? I don't really know.
It could also be a quest type thing with the leaders just exploring the Ransei region.

At one point, I was attempting to make a conquest rpg. It's just too complicated with how many subdivsions there are in the game. One for each type is a lot and when you make an rpg using said concept, that's a lot of players to keep track of. I was working on essentially the how would said game be going after beating conquest story plot. I gave up due to the amount of characters you have to keep track of and the fact this is one of those rpgs where to advance the days, pretty much everyone has to be done and with at least 18 players (17 if you don't include fairy typing,) this is a lot of waiting to go through. I wouldn't be surprised if it took a week to 2 weeks to advance only one day. Nah, conquest is another one that is better off written as fan-fics than it is RPG material. Unless you decide to merge kingdoms and do it that way, there is just way too much to keep track of, not to mention other things you would want to add to the rpg.

I think before I quit working on it, I was over 10k words in just describing each kingdom.... and explaining rules for said rpg and sign-up sheet layout.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Long RPG sign-up descriptions don't necessarily fail Slipomatic, Elemental Quest was one of longest and it had a few successful runs. However, I've found a really easy way to kill an RPG is to allow certain people more then 1 character.

Slipomatic

Eon Collector
True, but I was just so burnt out on just working on descriptions that after completing that, I just couldn't work on the plot and what you would be doing in the rpg. I was a bit too ambitious with it being that I intended to keep feudal war system like with use of spies/sabotage and if said player lost their kingdom, could become hitmans for hire to sabotage other kingdoms. I just had too much outlandish ideas incorporated in it that I think I had over 12 bullets in just rules alone just to make sure there were no abuse of the system. Descriptions was still painful though. I was going to offer giving my descriptions of each kingdom, but I kind of lost that file.

Crash & Charm

Back I guess
True, but I was just so burnt out on just working on descriptions that after completing that, I just couldn't work on the plot and what you would be doing in the rpg. I was a bit too ambitious with it being that I intended to keep feudal war system like with use of spies/sabotage and if said player lost their kingdom, could become hitmans for hire to sabotage other kingdoms. I just had too much outlandish ideas incorporated in it that I think I had over 12 bullets in just rules alone just to make sure there were no abuse of the system. Descriptions was still painful though. I was going to offer giving my descriptions of each kingdom, but I kind of lost that file.

If you ever find the file please tell me that would be incredible helpful.

I figured I could run it so that if you were conquered you joined the other kingdoms alliance. I probably could keep a running list in the discussion thread of who is allied with whom. We also could have pre-existing alliances and stuff. I figured that I would make it so that the normal/fire/water/grass kingdoms were already allied. With other groups scattered throughout the kingdom.

My other idea would be to have it function as a tournament, with matches predetermined and already lined up. Each kingdom could start with a single warlord. When you beat an opposing team you gain the warlords is the team.

also as far as character go, I think letting people chose if they wanted to use a cannon character or not would help as far as getting people to join goes.

Slipomatic

Eon Collector
If you ever find the file please tell me that would be incredible helpful.

I figured I could run it so that if you were conquered you joined the other kingdoms alliance. I probably could keep a running list in the discussion thread of who is allied with whom. We also could have pre-existing alliances and stuff. I figured that I would make it so that the normal/fire/water/grass kingdoms were already allied. With other groups scattered throughout the kingdom.

My other idea would be to have it function as a tournament, with matches predetermined and already lined up. Each kingdom could start with a single warlord. When you beat an opposing team you gain the warlords is the team.

also as far as character go, I think letting people chose if they wanted to use a cannon character or not would help as far as getting people to join goes.

I was looking for said file and I couldn't find it. Apparantly I had it saved on the OS hard drive and when I had replaced motherboard/cpu parts, I had to re-install windows OS on the hard drive so it's forever gone. I forgot to back it up on my backup/data hard drives. On the plus side, windows 8.1 is great for boot up time.

All isn't lost though, if you want me to, I can help you work out stuff for the regions and stuff. I would, however, probably have to think a bit on how fairy region would be like though... (Musn't go stereotypical and make it all pink and girly. Maybe an amusement park region? Ugh the Hello Kitty amusement park nightmare, nvm no amusement park region.)

Also lost microsoft office 2007 :/

Last edited:

Crash & Charm

Back I guess
I was looking for said file and I couldn't find it. Apparantly I had it saved on the OS hard drive and when I had replaced motherboard/cpu parts, I had to re-install windows OS on the hard drive so it's forever gone. I forgot to back it up on my backup/data hard drives. On the plus side, windows 8.1 is great for boot up time.

All isn't lost though, if you want me to, I can help you work out stuff for the regions and stuff. I would, however, probably have to think a bit on how fairy region would be like though... (Musn't go stereotypical and make it all pink and girly. Maybe an amusement park region? Ugh the Hello Kitty amusement park nightmare, nvm no amusement park region.)

Also lost microsoft office 2007 :/

That sounds great. I should get started on it. I am missing school because of snow. I have a bit of free time and I probably could get a bit done. The tournament style sounds good to me right now but i am open to more ideas.

The fairy nation should be an amusement park that would be hilarious.

Also I am going to slightly change a couple mechanics. The biggest one is the limit on one move. This helps me let everyone use any Pokemon they want and still be fine.

Calling the fairy kingdom limelight...If anyone else wants to throw an idea out feel free.

Last edited:

Slipomatic

Eon Collector
Limelight, don't see that name really working... I would probably go more or less with something like Wonderland Dream or Park of Creation or Fair of the Fairies. I'm pretty bad at naming the region itself, but I'd say it probably would be controlled by young people, no older than 25 perhaps. Just suggesting a few things that might be useful to add on.

Probably will want to enforce as a starter, a 3-evolution pokemon or 2-evolution pokemon pending typing (I know there are slim pickings for certain types.)
Probably limit to at most 3 different linked pokemon per character (preferrably 2)
Tournament idea would work since it would be going on the fact that it takes place after events in pokemon conquest. IE conquer all tournaments and become the next leader of the whole region or something, that way no one is ever forced to join another persons team by default when they lose. If we used the tournament idea though, you wouldn't be allowed to compete in your own starting region as you would be implied to have already conquered it and was chosen by your region to compete in other region tournaments.
Don't know if you want to incorporate human vs human since it is feudal japan time period but that might make things more complicated.

One idea I had was to go on a 2nd conquest type version where it took place around 50 or so years after Hero/Heroine had passed on and next ruler was corrupted in some form. And instead of the typical starting each region with it's own leaders, it would be more or less a faction vs faction with players on either side pending on who they want to side with. And territories would still be the typical region, but divided between let's say north vs south or east vs. west. Basically the idea would be to reunite the land and either the corrupt government won or rebels liberated it etc., etc. Idea can be expanded on if you like it.

Also, it probably would be a good idea to take this to either PM or VMing, just so we don't clutter up the Cafe :p

Titan500

Solar Panels
Being somebody who enjoyed Conquest a lot, and a fan of Koei's franchise of games (Nobunaga's Ambition, Samurai/Dynasty Warriors, Romance of the Three Kingdoms), a perfect way to find a fitting setting for a Conquest RPG would be to take inspiration from actual history. Slipomatic, your idea of having a faction vs faction thing going on could mirror the conflict between Ieyasu and Mitsunari following the death of Hideyoshi, in which the west fought the east to determine who would be the next leader of Japan. Ieyasu ended up winning following the Battle of Sekigahara.

Or you could take the Boshin War (two hundred years later) as inspiration: the imperial loyalists against the Tokugawa shogunate. That'd be good if you want a more 1800-esque setting, with more Napoleonic battle strategies and what-not, and the slow disappearance of samurai culture into the realms of history.

Or go back to the Genpei War, with the conflict between the Minamoto and Taira in order to achieve dominance over the imperial court ended with the establishment of a shogunate and the loss of imperial power.

Crash & Charm

Back I guess
If you or anyone else wants to help build it just contact me.

Slipomatic

Eon Collector
Well, progress so far has been to get descriptions of the kingdoms and then decide on what form of rpg it's going to be. Aside from your input, we're deciding on whether we want to do tournaments with you having to conquer each kingdom's own tournament (aside from the one you start from), or the faction vs. faction. Still rough on what to do since there are a lot to consider.

Crash & Charm

Back I guess
I was thinking we could break the whole region up into 4~5 groups or factions.

Also,

1 warlord per player
2 Pokemon but only one is to be used for combat
4 moves per Pokemon but each mon will have a signature move.
No Legendarys.
the whole point is to conquer Ransei and unite it.
Stay within your chosen type.

Firebrand

Indomitable
The issue with a Conquest RPG would be that it would inevitably necessitate PvP elements and... PvP does not work well here. Unless you had a simple but strict layout for combat (the proposed system for Avenger Angel's last RPG comes to mind, despite the fact that it never really got used), things would probably fall apart pretty quickly.

On a different note, I've been toying with the idea wherein every player controls two characters, each one based off one of the Jungian archetypes. The caveat would be that the character pairings would have to be drastically across the spectrum from each other, meaning if one archetype comes from the "self" umbrella, the other must come from one of the others. A person could control, for example, the Rebel and the Sage, or the Hero and the Creator, but they could not control the Sage and the Ruler or the Creator and the Lover. I think the concept could be interesting, along with allowing people a chance to try out character types they may not necessarily think to use, though I'm at an absolute loss for a plot to go with it. Obviously it would be capped at 6 people but I think it could also be effective with four or even three really dedicated players, due to the amount of characters in play.

Last edited:

Tangeh

On a different note, I've been toying with the idea wherein every player controls two characters, each one based off one of the Jungian archetypes. The caveat would be that the character pairings would have to be drastically across the spectrum from each other, meaning if one archetype comes from the "self" umbrella, the other must come from one of the others. A person could control, for example, the Rebel and the Sage, or the Hero and the Creator, but they could not control the Sage and the Ruler or the Creator and the Lover. I think the concept could be interesting, along with allowing people a chance to try out character types they may not necessarily think to use, though I'm at an absolute loss for a plot to go with it. Obviously it would be capped at 6 people but I think it could also be effective with four or even three really dedicated players, due to the amount of characters in play.

I've seen so many characters that are literally just the first four on that list. xD That's hilarious.

I'm intrigued but it would totally depend on the plot.

Crash & Charm

Back I guess
an Idea I have been toying with recently.

A RWBY rpg.

I don't think I can do anything to it. I am working on the conquest thing right now. Still it is a cool idea.

Also I am still looking for a name for a fairy kingdom in Ransei. Vm any suggestions to me.

Firebrand

Indomitable
I've seen so many characters that are literally just the first four on that list. xD That's hilarious.

I'm intrigued but it would totally depend on the plot.

I don't really know, but I thought it might work out as an urban modern fantasy, the players vs. corrupt politicians and organized crime rings using dark magic for personal gain vs. the supernatural underworld which is itself composed of a couple of factions. Again, I've really got nothing more than this so it's all very rough and bare-bones.