• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

RPG Ideas and Wishes

Titan500

Solar Panels
The Avatar RPG was a bit too cyberpunk for my tastes, which was why I didn't join it. The thematic differences were too great.

Crash & Charm

Back I guess
A medivil Pokemon RPG would be interesting, no pokeballs, and new elements.

Avenger Angel

Warrior of Heaven
Now I'm thinking a medieval fantasy pokemon RPG would be fun.

While I have zero interest in an Avatar RPG (I couldn't stand the voice acting on the show), I'm really surprised it didn't do better given how popular it is.

I've seen many attempts at a Medieval setting for Pokémon, but I can't say I've seen any of them work particularly well. It's one of those cases where you absolutely have to adjust and account for certain things, and balancing is definitely one of them.

Weaponry and technology is your biggest issue. Somewhere along the line, in order for humans to have been able to own Pokémon, they need to have had something that Pokémon respected, whether it's out of fear or admiration, or possessed something powerful Pokémon just don't have. A modern day setting (or the arguably sci-fi setting the anime and games use) works for this because human technology and weaponry is MUCH more powerful and advanced in the anime and games. A Pokémon only submits to a human because such capture devices like Pokéballs and other advanced technology exist. Take that away and replace it with Medieval stuff, and humans aren't a threat. What's a fleshbag human with a puny sword or pin-shooter bow and arrow to a Steelix or Rhyperior, who could easily crush castles? Other Pokémon like Charizard, Dragonite, and so on have extreme elemental powers that could easily fry Medieval humans in an instant. Why do you think Professor Oak warns it's dangerous to walk in tall grass without Pokémon?

If Pokéballs don't exist (what happened to Apricorns by the way?), then you NEED something else to replace them so humans can control and command Pokémon, and yes, you may have to violate the Medieval setting and give this new form of control be arguably magical in nature.

It might be a good idea to give humans access to magic also, since most of the weaponry will be somewhat useless without it. Not all humans have to be wizards for this to be usable either. You could have a warrior class that has access to magical war cries, special magical weapon strikes, and anything of that nature that you'd find in an MMO. Same thing with the archer guys. Maybe give them the ability to imbue their arrows with elemental powers to make the bow and arrow more useful. You could also include fantasy races in the mix if you think that might make things more interesting.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
What? I think you're over thinking why pokemon ally with humans. Dogs ally with humans for food, but wild wolves are still dangerous.

We could use apricorns, or be could have a smaller team limit due to pokemon not being in their balls. I'm pretty sure that's canon in the anime. I don't think it needs magic to work. Sure, there could be magic, medieval stories often have magic, but with pokemon, I don't think we need magic too.

Avenger Angel

Warrior of Heaven
What? I think you're over thinking why pokemon ally with humans. Dogs ally with humans for food, but wild wolves are still dangerous.

We could use apricorns, or be could have a smaller team limit due to pokemon not being in their balls. I'm pretty sure that's canon in the anime. I don't think it needs magic to work. Sure, there could be magic, medieval stories often have magic, but with pokemon, I don't think we need magic too.

Yeah, but said wolves don't breathe fire, shoot electricity, or spit ice beams that would instantly kill a human. Also, a sword or crossbow could kill a wolf if the person using said weapon knows what they're doing. Against many steel and rock type Pokemon, the situation is pretty much hopeless. Pokemon are essentially magical with what they can do, but the problem is if humans don't have the same kind of access to such powers, they're sitting ducks and would always be at the complete mercy of Pokemon.

In any case, if you're not putting magic or fantasy elements into it besides the Pokemon to give the humans even ground with the Pokemon wildlife, then how do you stop a Steelix or a Rhyperior from crushing every castle flat with Earthquake attacks? Also, why would Pokemon ally with humans if the humans are easy prey? How would a human convince a wild Charizard that taking orders from him benefits the Charizard as well?

I'm not trying to shoot your idea down, I just think it's heading toward the same path that I've seen end many other Medieval style RPs much earlier than anticipated because they want Pokemon to be the only source of power in a Medieval setting. I think it's better if trainers are fighting alongside their Pokemon rather than just barking commands at them. Otherwise, who needs armor, swords, and bows? Just let Pokemon do all the work and let them steal the show in terms of glory, chivalry, and heroism. Even if you're a sword master or better than Robin Hood with a bow and arrow, they've got nothing on even an average Flamethrower attack or Thunderbolt. Those elemental attacks don't even have a casting time and mana cost, and unless you apply cartoon logic to the humans where getting hit with a Flamethrower just means you get a little soot on your face or getting hit with a Thunderbolt just makes your character get zapped and stunned for a few seconds, they're dead meat...

Also, if you took Skyrim, Dungeons and Dragons, Final Fantasy, World of Warcraft, and so on and stripped ALL the magic and fantasy elements out of those games, how much do you think you'd enjoy them then? Case in point, I don't recommend stripping it down to only a Medieval setting with Pokemon. You'd be better off just dropping the Pokemon as well and go with something entirely Medieval.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Which is why they get pokemon of their own.

With your pokemon. Because humans are smart and can help them solve problems. Like in modern pokemon, if a young pokemon is attached to a person, that attachment likely carries on into their evolution.

Well, no one ever specified it was to be a war RPG. . . also, we'd do similar things to the modern trainer RPGs, just sans technology and other cultural differences.

*shrug* I don't play a lot of those anyways. But some people like realistic and slice-of-life games.

Titan500

Solar Panels
Pokemon seemed to listen to their human pals fine every time we've seen Ash and friends go time travelling.

They're pretty close to sapience themselves, anyway. Humans'll probably have partnered up with one or two mons, but that'd be likely one of mutual respect.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure humans in the Pokemon World are far tougher than in real life. Yeah, you could chalk some of that up to cartoon logic, but we can pull off random psychic shenanigans, the aura thing, CRASHER WAKE, ride gigantic dragons into space, get hit by Hyper Beams from a crazy Champion's Dragonite (might have been a weakened one, but I'm pretty sure that a weakened one from Lance's Dragonite would've been extremely painful for that poor Rocket Grunt), et cetera. We're basically Pokemon in that regard.

I'm pretty sure humans actually are just another form of mon. Probably Normal-type with those aura-users and psychics being alternate forms that dual-type in Fighting and Psychic respectively. Or the ghost mediums. Or the wacky supernatural stuff that humans get up to.

There lived a Pokémon in a forest.
In the forest, the Pokémon shed its
hide to sleep as a human.
Awakened, the human dons the
Pokémon hide to roam villages.

There once were Pokémon that
became very close to humans.
There once were humans and Pokémon
that ate together at the same table.
It was a time when there existed no
differences to distinguish the two.

A young man, callow and foolish in
innocence, came to own a sword.
With it, he smote Pokémon, which gave
sustenance, with carefree abandon.
Those not taken as food, he
discarded, with no afterthought.
The following year, no Pokémon
appeared. Larders grew bare.
The young man, seeking the missing
Pokémon, journeyed afar.
Long did he search. And far and wide,
too, until one he did find.
Asked he, "Why do you hide?"
To which the Pokémon replied...
"If you bear your sword to bring
harm upon us, with claws and
fangs, we will exact a toll.
"From your kind we will take our
toll, for it must be done.
"Done it must be to guard ourselves
and for it, I apologize."
To the skies, the young man shouted
his dismay.
"In having found the sword, I have
lost so much.
"Gorged with power, I grew blind
to Pokémon being alive.
"I will never fall savage again.
This sword I denounce and forsake.
"I plead for forgiveness,
for I was but a fool."
So saying, the young man hurled the
sword to the ground, snapping it.
Seeing this, the Pokémon disappeared
to a place beyond seeing...

Sinnoh's really great for all these past stuff. Like, DPPt had some great worldbuilding in there.

And that random Church.

I still have no idea why it's there.

But it really added to Hearthome feel.

DVB

Philosopher Knight

Firebrand

Indomitable
While I have zero interest in an Avatar RPG (I couldn't stand the voice acting on the show), I'm really surprised it didn't do better given how popular it is.

It had significant interest, but Kamotz just didn't feel like running it so he never bothered getting it off the ground.

Slipomatic

Eon Collector
VampirateMace, might I point out something that can be of much use. If you remember watching Pokemon Movie #8 with the one dealing with lucario and Sir Aaron. Back in the medieval times, there were ways to cause pokemon to listen to trainers. You had to get extremely custom tailored equipment that resonated with a certain kind of pokemon, allowing you some control of pokemon, but of only that certain kind. In all reality, medieval doesn't work as far as RPing goes for pokemon since there isn't a lot of old time stuff to work with to give a sense as to how humans could tame and work with pokemon. (Although I guess you could point out in the arceus movie dealing with specialized clothing that negated pokemon abilities and moves and natural defenses [like rapidashs flame mane and tail] but that'd be a different take.) All you really need to do is figure out a compromise that works with medieval time as far as technology goes, but I will say that magically enchanted stuff may be the way to go.

2 solutions I offer as an idea.

1. Utilize equipment that works with only one kind of pokemon type or species and to be able to tame different kinds, find/buy/craft an equipment that corresponds with the new ones they want to work with. Due to how the equipment would work, you'd be limited to max 3 pokemons with how expensive they probably would be and the fact such specialized equipment would be rather cumbersome.

2. Same as #1, but instead of it being something you carried, its something the pokemon would have to wear, once you managed to defeat them that is. This, of course, would let you be able to work with up to 6 pokemon, but the added risk is that if the equipment malfunctioned (ie get damaged from attacks), the pokemon could revolt against you.

These are just ideas I'm giving you to ponder about and see if it could work or use some tweak to better fit medieval pokemon time frame.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Thanks slip, but I wasn't actually working on said RPG (nor would I think it require a controlling device beyond the equivalent of a dog whistle. Safety gear, sure, but that'd be up to the players), just going off Minteh's suggestion. I'm pretty sure it was canon before the 8th movie that people and pokemon were able to interact before apricorns.

Flash Sport

Whatcha gotta say?
Referring to the idea for a medieval Pokemon role play...

To me, the dilemma is not as bad as it seems. I'm not sure if I can explain this properly, but why not have people do like regular, everyday people do when it comes to getting a certain kind of animal: go after the young or the eggs. The latter preferably because it won't be able to cry or attack. That way, when the egg hatches the offspring will imprint on the human instead of its actual parent. This could also lead to a popular, though dangerous, type of job that people take up--essentially Pokemon Hunting. It takes time, planning, and effort, so not many people are really skilled at it. This can also lead to those who are experienced in acquiring Pokemon to charge an arm an a leg, so its mostly the upper echelons that could really afford their own Pokemon.

Later down the line, this could also lead to Pokemon breeding. Once eggs have been acquired, someone could have gotten the idea of breeding Pokemon and so started doing that, which decreases the need for the hunters, unless the employer desires something strong and rare. I don't suspect breeders will have every Pokemon there is, but a decent handful, especially the easier ones such as Caterpie, Wurmple, and the like. Magikarp would be easy enough to acquire by fishermen, though it's not a highly sought after Pokemon. Also, because of this, it's rare for people to have a lot of Pokemon, probably no more than 3 or 4, unless one's really rich or is the breeder.

Caring for Pokemon will take the same (and extra) precautions as working with regular animals. Don't get too careless with a horse or else your bones could end up getting shattered. Don't get too careless with Ponyta or else you could get burned. People learn by trial and error. Think about how someone would go about raising a certain kind of Pokemon for the first time and all the problems they would potentially face. Then think about how they would be able to overcome said problem. If a person has been breeding and raising Pokemon for 50 years, I think they would know a thing or two about keeping them calm or identifying their moods.

Those Pokemon that were brought up around humans could end up being much more docile and obedient. Pokemon like this, after being trained, can then be used to help capture other Pokemon. Apricorns or some other ancient technology could come about at some point, allowing for easier transportation of Pokemon.

I hope that made sense... ^_^

A role play centering around people who capture Pokemon (Pokemon Hunters) could potentially work; people working to capture Pokemon for various clients, primarily the upper echelons since they can afford it. I wouldn't mind seeing or developing something like it.

Last edited:

Ironthunder

The Uncultured One
That sounds really kinda cool. Might be slightly morally wrong, but morals are for people who enjoy losing.

Flash Sport

Whatcha gotta say?
WARNING: LONG POST INCOMING...

Lol. Ironthunder1604, there's nothing wrong with having morals, and I don't believe morals are for people who enjoy losing. ^_^ While that it is true that going after the young is wrong, it's no different than what trainers currently do. The only difference is that wild Pokemon are shown as having a chance to fight back (and potentially fleeing). Trainers go and capture Pokemon without knowing if that Pokemon is fully grown, or if it's a parent that have offspring that needs to be taken care of. No one really thinks about it…it just is. In the case of an ancient Pokemon civilization, where human technology is not yet up to par in contending with Pokemon one on one, they have to come up with some solution to compensate for the disadvantage (and one way would be to get the young or the eggs.) Even though it's morally wrong, there will always be those few who don't care, go fulfill the task and bring back the prize. Afterwards, once breeding is well underway, no one would really think about how the commercialization of Pokemon had gotten started. Just as no one thinks about how products got on the shelf in supermarkets or by what means the jewelry stores acquired its merchandise. It just is and it's just there.

I would also add that in the role play, being in a world that has magical creatures, I would think there'd be elements/materials produced by the earth to help contend with said creatures that humans could acquire and develop in order to help establish a balance. There are magical items in the world after all. Take the normal world we live in for example. In various areas of the world, creatures (animals and bugs) exist that have natural predators to keep their numbers in check. Should a creature be introduced into an environment where there aren't any natural enemies, then the balance is thrown off and troubles (mild, moderate, or severe) often follow. On a much lighter side, as Titan500 mentioned the Sinnoh myths, here's one that explained why wild Pokemon appear in grass:

Long ago, when Sinnoh had just been
made, Pokemon and humans led
separate lives.
That is not to say they did not help
each other. No, indeed they did.
They supplied each other with goods,
and supported each other.
A Pokemon proposed to the others
to always be ready to help humans.
It asked that Pokemon be ready to
appear before humans always.
Thus, to this day, Pokemon appear
to us if we venture into tall grass.

So humans and Pokemon have/had a symbiotic (?) relationship. Also those snippets of folk tales that mention Pokemon being very close to humans and a Pokemon shedding its hide to sleep as humans is worth looking at.

I was also trying to work on an idea (either as a role play or a fanfic) that dealt with humans and Pokemon being one being, called Humons. They weren't like pokemorphs or ginjinka (sp?) or whatever they're called; Humons were just a different type of being. They were an advanced species who developed civilizations that were equal to or greater than Atlantis. They also developed transportation capsules (basically, ancient poke balls) that allowed them to transport a large variety of goods with little to no effort. These capsules didn't work on living creatures at the time. Then after some sort of catastrophe (or war), the beings that were one split into two (a fall from grace, so to speak). Now Pokemon (who were essentially the magical essence of the Humon) became an entity of their own, leaving the now empty Humons as mere humans with little to no magical abilities. This is why some humans possess telekinetic, aura reading, and other unusual abilities. A sort of compensation or byproduct is that humans would also naturally possess a heightened resilience that allows them to take an attack--say an electric type move--without instantly dying or sustaining permanent injuries (a type of nigh invulnerability). On Pokemon Origins Red "caught" Charizard--which weights around 200+ pounds--without sustaining permanent injuries. Now, if one got body slammed by a Steelix it's safe to assume he or she wouldn't survive.

Returning to the story…many humans and Pokemon grieved over this separation, neither really knowing what to do to survive or exist. So humans and Pokemon depended upon each to in order to survive and to live. Some time after that great divide or the Great Rift as I call it, (the point at which humans forgot they were once one with Pokemon), a human or a group of humans could have become jealous of Pokemon and the power they wielded, and so started to war with Pokemon and/or trying to subdue them; humans attempted to (re)claim that power for their own. Some Pokemon felt sorry for the humans and didn't fight back (choosing to either flee or sacrifice their lives in a vain effort to turn the bad humans from their ways) while other Pokemon were less sympathetic and chose to engage their foe mercilessly. (In the present, this is why some Pokemon are helpful and others aren't.) Eventually, the humans used the (rediscovered) transportation capsules, after modifying it to enable the capture of Pokemon and hence the beginning of poke balls for capturing Pokemon.

This is getting a little deeper than necessary for coming up with a Pokemon role play, but it is fun to ponder on and think about. ^_^

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
That sounds really kinda cool. Might be slightly morally wrong, but morals are for people who enjoy losing.
Lol. . . is that your way of announcing that we should keep an eye on you?

*Shrug* I'm not sure how morally wrong this is myself, within reason, as long as you take care of your Pokémon. People 'adopt' young animals and eggs all the time. We hatched a batch of chick in an incubator. And they run for you when you open the incubator, because they're imprinting on you, thus you've become chicken mom. Of course overhunting, and hunting rare/endangered Pokémon, could fall into the morally wrong category.

It's been a long while since I've been here, so I don't know what people are into right now. If any. So...just throwing a bone here and wondering if anyone would be interested in an rp which involves Pokemon fusions?

Is it sad that I made a sign-up post already? xD Rpers play as trainers, really, and they have pokemon they can fuse. The fusion is also reversible, so they'll always have their Pokemon back (with certain special exceptions). As for the plot, it's...simple, but too long to post on here. xD I can show this though:

Two things were certain.

First of all, something ominous is afoot, and you, Psi-Corp, and the invention they made, FiST, were at the center of it all. And second of all...

You are in grave danger.