• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

RU Metagame Discussion Thread

Mye

Someone has to win..
With all the grass types shifting, I'm sorta surprised that Quag is heading down. Don't get me wrong, I rarely ever saw it (I played around 200 matches and only saw it twice), but you'd think that with viri heading down and sceptile/serperior headed up it'd have less number of counters. The rest of the bans are pretty "meh". Pidgeotite/dragalge/serperior made people afraid in the tier, and losing gligar only means that people will use bronzong less (which'll hopefully allow me to run articuno a bit more). I'll be surprised if people start using glalie more now that it's in RU. While pidgeot being gone does give it a bit less competition, durant still being in the tier (and being faster than it) kinda prevents it from doing anything other than using spikes and ice-type explosion.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Looks like RU is already doing another suspect, guess they're not spending any time waiting even with the Metagrossite test. Moltres and Pangoro are next on the list, and I can't say I'm surprised since people have been calling out for one since before the previous test ended. I've heard people calling for Moltres as long as I've payed attention to the tier so it's about time they actually tested it. As far as what I think initially, Pangoro is really scary especially with Gligar gone. I can easily see this thing leaving and probably would rather see it leave. Moltres is super controversial though, and I don't know what I think about banning it. It probably would have a positive effect on the tier to get rid of both but I haven't even played the tier since the previous suspect so this I'm speaking very theoretically.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Pangoro and Moltres are now BL2.

I think Cresselia is next.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm glad Pangoro and Moltres are gone. Pangoro just destroyed Stall while still being good in general, and Moltres forcing me to run something like AV Slowking/Kabutops was definitely a bit restricting. People are definitely calling out for a Cresselia test but I'm not sure I find it necessary yet. It's a pain to deal with but I'm not sure if it's necessarily needs a ban. I'm more concerned about Tyrantrum and Feraligatr for now but we'll see how things developed.

Also we stole Virizion, Camerupt and Steelix from NU, fun stuff. And regular Pinsir dropping sounds cool too, I think it'll fit nicely in the tier with options like Knock Off and Stealth Rock, as well as having Mold Breaker to screw with stall teams.

KillerDraco

Psynergy's favorite tier had quite a few changes today.

Most notably, it gained Scrafty, Kingdra, Flygon, and Noivern, while losing Heliolisk, Slurpuff, Abomasnow, Doublade, Cresselia, Slowking, and Whimsicott. A few also dropped into NU (Fletchinder, Magneton, Kabutops, and Pinsir) and rose from NU to RU (Camerupt, Seismitoad), but these don't necessarily affect RU quite as much as dropping into or rising out of RU.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Slurpuff rising and Magneton and Fletchinder (and Noivern to an extent) falling is a suprise. Everything else meh.

And the weird thing is I don't really see any of these new threats being too much for the tier bar maybe Scrafty.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Psynergy's favorite tier had quite a few changes today.

Most notably, it gained Scrafty, Kingdra, Flygon, and Noivern, while losing Heliolisk, Slurpuff, Abomasnow, Doublade, Cresselia, Slowking, and Whimsicott. A few also dropped into NU (Fletchinder, Magneton, Kabutops, and Pinsir) and rose from NU to RU (Camerupt, Seismitoad), but these don't necessarily affect RU quite as much as dropping into or rising out of RU.

Yeah favorite tier might be a dubious descriptor with these changes, Magneton dropping, Doublade leaving, EVERY GOOD FIGHTING CHECK (except like Reuniclus and Sigilyph and they're cool). It's basically a new tier now. And like, I can't think of a good reason to not use SD Cobalion and/or Dragons right now. Kingdra will get quickbanned easy and Noivern might not last long either though.

Scrafty is kinda meh in comparison to everything else especially since it's still painfully slow and weak to Fighting, while also not being particularly strong at +1. It might stand out more when all the broken stuff is gone but right now it doesn't stand out much. Flygon is perfect though since the tier desperately lacked good hazard removal.

As for losses Abomasnow is a sad thing to lose since that thing smashed Regenerator cores and Stall in general. Heliolisk isn't very consequential and only really serves to reduce competition for Jolteon, and then every other rise sucks because Fighting spam was already annoying. Honestly don't care about losing Cresselia since it was never too overbearing, though I guess seeing it gone means people can stop complaining about it in the tier.

Magneton and Fletchinder dropping also doesn't surprise me. Both are absolutely still viable in RU even now (and ironically a solid core together) but I literally did not see them get use beyond myself using Magneton. Mega Steelix sucks for both even though Magneton can punish it switching in with Specs HP Water, and Mega Steelix is a big deal. Fletchinder looks very good right now with all the Fighting spam though so that might still get use, and Magneton is a strong counter to Fletchinder so that's got a role as well. Magneton also sounds kind of stupid in NU but that's another environment and one I don't know that well.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
It's kind of a tough situation. Noivern and Reuniclus are both amazing and at the moment I think they should get the ban, at least Reuniclus, but that comes with a catch of losing two more strong Fighting type checks. RU is already starting to struggle in that department after losing like 5 of its best checks in tier shifts, and losing two more (even though one is a recent drop) helps out Fighting types a lot. I know one of the fears is that Cobalion might be outright broken and could be suspected/quickbanned after these two are banned, but regardless banning both helps Fighting spam even more.

2800 COIL is an interesting change though, especially after going 2400 for the previous two. I know it's been discussed that the COIL requirement should be increased since they felt too many people voted relative to the general playerbase of the tier (having almost as many voters as OU is an understandable problem), so I guess they finally acted on that.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Probably the least enjoyable RU I've played, it was just terrible that you could not play offense at all without getting destroyed by Noivern, and then Reuniclus had no trouble beating out a ton of Dark type Knock Offs just to Recover and set up either Trick Room or Calm Mind for a solo sweep. I actually stopped caring about laddering for it because I couldn't stand to play it, and judging from the discussion it wasn't looking like either had a chance of staying so why bother laddering for something I couldn't enjoy.

Sucks that both of these had to go though since now there's two less things to beat Cobalion. Jellicent has been on the rise to beat Fighting types in general but Jellicent alone can't keep everything together. Won't be surprised if Cobalion is next, which is a shame since Cobalion has been one of the RU staples since XY. You know, along with the Doublade, Abomasnow, Cresselia and Slowking we don't have. This tier has changed too much.

Eaglehawk

Banned
Cobalion has left the tier and Trevenant has arrived.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Cobalion successfully evaded a suspect lol.

Trevenant's gonna be fun, probably won't be any good here but it's new so...

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Cobalion was basically the Landorus-T of RU so losing it is kind of a big deal, though I don't think anyone is surprised it left one way or another. That said I can really only see things getting better, as much as I liked Cobalion. Scrafty might have to go though, I've seen talk about it so it might be next. I need to actually play though, I've done very little RU in the past month or two.

Oh yeah and Trevenant exists. Eh.

Eaglehawk

Banned
To be honest, I think Trevenant could have some functionality on some forms of stall team (or offense lol). To be fair, it just suffers severely from a decent archetype to fit into. The best I've seen people use it on is SubSalac, where it'd abuse harvester to keep activating Salac berry.

Mye

Someone has to win..
See, I'm actually thinking that with cobalion gone, we could see trevenant function as some form of pseudo-SD sweeper with horn leech/harvest and a liechi berry. While incredibly gimmicky, it could function as a decent sweeper that slowly gets better over time.

Would not be surprised if it falls further though, as like gourgeist it was given an expansive movepool that somehow still feels incomplete (the lack of swords dance/ingrain hurting it severely imo).

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
I don't know, I'm not really as interested in Trevenant as I am in the things that got better with Cobalion being gone, Tyrantrum and Glalie in particular. Both were always some of my favorite wallbreakers and without Cobalion they're both looking dangerous. Of course Fighting type is still a strong type and ignoring Hitmonlee, Medicham and friends would be bad, though even then none of them want to switch into these guys. Thinking I'll be trying those two out a bit more.

ger9119

I just started playing RU, can i post my team here for i can get suggestions about it.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
I just started playing RU, can i post my team here for i can get suggestions about it.

Go ahead, anything to get some discussion going. As long as you're not using something like, Assault Vest Hitmonchan. There's a lot of interesting stuff going on now that Cobalion isn't around forcing people to run Jellicent.