• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

[Ruby] Cant Decide On My Team

Mighty

Indigo Champion
I restarted my game, and I am not sure what Pokémon I am going to have.

Each bullet point has the possibles, if you think another would be better then feel free to say so. I also have Colosseum, with all 52 Pokémon (purified).

1. Sceptile
  2. Alakazam
  3. Golem/Aggron/Rhydon
  4. Machamp/Hariyama
  5. Kingdra/other water type
  6. Flying type or trade from Colo (Heracross, Skarmory, Houndoom, Metagross, Tyranitar, Legendary Dogs)

I'll be ok for movesets (but feel free to suggest, as always, it's just deciding which to have in each slot.

Now that I look at slot #6 again, it seems that I could make a whole team from what I could trade from Colosseum...so I want to avoid that if possible...at least until I'm done with the story again. Also, anything catchable in Ruby that I have in Colo that may be suggested I will trade anyway regardless as it will give me the 1.5x exp that I want (screw EVs).

M

m0nkfish

I strongly recommend against using Golem and Rhydon unless you think your opponent will have a complete lack of grass/water moves :rolleyes:

Mighty said:
I restarted my game, and I am not sure what Pokémon I am going to have.

Each bullet point has the possibles, if you think another would be better then feel free to say so. I also have Colosseum, with all 52 Pokémon (purified).

1. Sceptile
  2. Alakazam
  3. Golem/Aggron/Rhydon
  4. Machamp/Hariyama
  5. Kingdra/other water type
  6. Flying type or trade from Colo (Heracross, Skarmory, Houndoom, Metagross, Tyranitar, Legendary Dogs)

For the third one i would strongly suggest Aggron. It would also seems that there are many feasible trading options, all very good. For evenly spread types i would recommend Houndoom, but they are all good.

Mighty

Indigo Champion
m0nkfish said:
I strongly recommend against using Golem and Rhydon unless you think your opponent will have a complete lack of grass/water moves :rolleyes:
If the situation rises, I can just switch to Sceptile or Alakazam.

What do you think of Torkoal, despite it's completely uber speed (20 base)?

m0nkfish said:
I strongly recommend against using Golem and Rhydon unless you think your opponent will have a complete lack of grass/water moves
Rhydon is fine. it isn't used to absorb Grass and Water attacks, it is used to absorb Physical Attacks. :rolleyes:

MS's would be nice btw.

M

m0nkfish

Fighting_Master said:

Rhydon is fine. it isn't used to absorb Grass and Water attacks, it is used to absorb Physical Attacks. :rolleyes:
Uh, that's why grass/water attacks mop the floor with it. A noteworthy feat considering its size.

Since you haven't mastered the fine art of reading;
The magical word "Switching" comes into play here. :/

M

m0nkfish

m0nkfish said:
Uh, that's why grass/water attacks mop the floor with it.
Makes sense to me. If it's not used to absorb special attacks, they mop the floor with it. Get it? And you can play the switching game all day, but eventually someone is actually going to have to attack, and if it's Rhydon he won't last against Grass/Water.

MOVING ON:

Torkoal is a very interesting if under-used pokemon. At first glance I was hoping he would be the final stage of the oh-so-lacking-in-every-department Slugma line, but that day hasn't come yet. Physical Defence through the roof, special defence... Not so much. Which is actually a beneficial layout considering his 3 weaknesses as a pure fire type (WOT NO GROUND?).

Basically, Amnesia on the first turn when you switch against a grass or something, and they bring in their rock/water. You could also use Iron Defence to turn him into a bit of a wall (Firewall?) because in-game trainers rarely p/haze. Body slam is good on Torkoal, not just for the paralysis chance - he is still unlikely to outrun anything even if it is paralysed - he has a decent attack and with skyhigh defences he won't need. Sunny day is practically a given on any Special fire type. Fire Blast/Flamethrower naturally, although if you are feeling lucky you could Erupt all over them and hope they don't take your HP downtown before your first Amnesia. Hee hee, "Erupt all over them" :D Err... And also it's cool to have an exclusive move (Torkoal is the only pokemon who learns Eruption through breeding).

Summarised: Underused - not really Underrated as such, but does have potential.

Mighty

Indigo Champion
Thanks for the post about Torkoal, I think I may give it a shot.

Makes sense to me. If it's not used to absorb special attacks, they mop the floor with it. Get it? And you can play the switching game all day, but eventually someone is actually going to have to attack, and if it's Rhydon he won't last against Grass/Water.
Well, ingame I doubt much switching will happen, the AI isn't really that switch-happy.

Last edited:
Go Berkshire eh?
m0nkfish said:
Makes sense to me. If it's not used to absorb special attacks, they mop the floor with it. Get it?
If the thread owner decides to use Kingdra or another Bulky water, Switching into Grass/Water moves won't hurt much.
And you can play the switching game all day, but eventually someone is actually going to have to attack, and if it's Rhydon he won't last against Grass/Water.
RHYDON DOESN'T STAY OUT AGAINST SOMETHING WITH GRASS/WATER MOVES!! Get it now?

M

m0nkfish

Mighty said:
I love that m0nkfish is against Golem because it has a weakness (4x or 2x...I'm still not gonna keep it in against a water type!).
:rolleyes: I am well aware that most pokemon have common weaknesses - what bugs me is that Golem has two 4x weaknesses - one of which is the most prolific type in the game - an awful Special Defence and no Speed whatsoever. Talk about "compounded".

I really can't say this any clearer.
Rhydon/Golem don't stay out against Grass/Water types. Meaning it is not a problem. If they do, it is like you saying "Please, Rape My Pokemon."
Enough on the matter me thinks.

Basically, Amnesia on the first turn when you switch against a grass or something, and they bring in their rock/water. You could also use Iron Defence to turn him into a bit of a wall (Firewall?) because in-game trainers rarely p/haze. Body slam is good on Torkoal, not just for the paralysis chance - he is still unlikely to outrun anything even if it is paralysed - he has a decent attack and with skyhigh defences he won't need. Sunny day is practically a given on any Special fire type. Fire Blast/Flamethrower naturally, although if you are feeling lucky you could Erupt all over them and hope they don't take your HP downtown before your first Amnesia. Hee hee, "Erupt all over them" Err... And also it's cool to have an exclusive move (Torkoal is the only pokemon who learns Eruption through breeding).
Picking up on this; Torkoal's moveset is Curse, Explosion, Fire Blast and Return/Rock Slide.

M

m0nkfish

Fighting_Master said:
Picking up on this; Torkoal's moveset is Curse, Explosion, Fire Blast and Return/Rock Slide.
I hear Overheat/White Herb makes him pretty powerful too

Tazzler

Overheat just means you have to switch out to lose the special attacking lowering while also losing the curse sat ups and without lefties recovery torkoal will just get worn down.

M

m0nkfish

Tazzler said:
Overheat just means you have to switch out to lose the special attacking lowering while also losing the curse sat ups and without lefties recovery torkoal will just get worn down.
That's why you use white herb, to counter Overheat's side effects

Tazzler

me said:
without lefties recovery torkoal will just get worn down.

White herb is stupid.

White Herb+Overheat+Curse doesn't work. The White Herb will cure your Speed loss from Curse before you use Overheat and then it disappears forever. With Leftovers, you constantly recover the already minimal damage you're losing from your foe's attacks.

~*CB*~
The 8th Champion

Mighty

Indigo Champion
I'm not really a fan of one-use items, berries and white herb included.

Also, F_M's avatar makes me want to use Lucario in my set..:'(

I am possibly the single most anxious person to see Rukario in the games. I love Fighting Types, and seeing a possible Legend/Uber one which is Steel/Fighting (Ridding of the Fighters standard weaknesses) is getting me seriously excited. I had to have that avvy![/offtopicness]