1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Rugged mountain- new DW abilities released!

Discussion in 'Older Gens' started by Ilan, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Ilan

Ilan Well-Known Member

so new abilities were released today

http://serebii.net/blackwhite/ruggedmountain.shtml

this will change some stuff here are some pokemons that seem nice:

I think the new abilitied pokemons will be in the following tiers:

OU:
    Moxie Slamance
    Analytic Magnezone
    Sand Force Hippowdon (with tyranitar in the same team)

UU:
    unburden hitmonlee
    Sand veil donphan (sand veil is sure annoying)

RU:
    Sheer Force Hariyama
    Defiant primeape

LC:
    Defiant Mankey
    Sheer force Bagon
    Sheer Force Trampich (with trick room it can do something there I guess)
    Water Absorb cacnea

2. complete legitimacy

complete legitimacy pack that fudge

In OU, the only thing that will be of any use will be Moxie Salamence. The others just lose their niches, such as Hippowdon, Magnezone, and Toxicroak.

3. Ilan

Ilan Well-Known Member

if you don't want to use magneone as steel killer or you use both hippowdon and tyranitar it might work

You are right about toxicroak but his DW ability isn't that bad anyway I will remove him from the list cause he was released long ago.

4. Blazios

Blazios Well-Known Member

If you don't want to use Magnezone as a Steel Killer, why not use Sturdy?

5. complete legitimacy

I don't know what you're thinking. Magnet Pull is the only reason to use Magnezone. Hippowdon is decent outside of sandstorm, but it's too slow to sweep. However, it is pretty bulky so I guess a Choice Band set might work.

6. ParaChomp

ParaChomp be your own guru

Do the Bagon come in females? If so, Salamence might get the boot again.
    Base 60 Speed isn't that great, however most Magnezone run max Speed and I don't know how vital a 30% boost is. Here's Smogon's take on it...(scroll down to the bottom of the page)

7. Psycho Cut

Psycho Cut Well-Known Member

I think Sand Force Hippowdon'd be good. It has good attack, and is bulky enough, on the physical side at least, so that it can survive hits, which makes up for its speed

8. Dr.Chaos

Dr.Chaos stick in the mud

People have been hoping for (and dreading) the arrival of Moxie Salamence for a long time now. Get ready for tons of HO teams.

9. irock245

irock245 She wants it

^Salamence's attack rose! Terakion was sent out! Salamence has to switch or die!

10. Oh boy, DW Bagon. It's finally here. Well, the good news is that while DW Bagon can get both Outrage and Dragon Dance, it cannot have them simultaneously. At least that means that OU won't become a boatload of Moxie/DD/Outrage Salamences, at least not yet.

I'm still thinking that DD Mence with Moxie will still perform the same as it always has. It will still be either forced out, revenge killed after it takes out something, or it will sweep. Nothing really different there, except now he's doing it with...wait for it...more moxie.

11. windsong

windsong WEST SIDE

Moxiemence isn't all that good, to be honest. Intimidate provides it with significantly more bulk, and losing Outrage sucks. Analytic Magnezone is outright terrible and will never and should never be used.

Hitmonlee maybe....UU's metagame is really really really unkind to it now, though, so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Only real reason to use Hariyama in RU is for Thick Fat to protect against Blizzspam or with Guts, to beat down all the ghost switch ins, which thoroughly wall Sheer Force Hariyama. I expect that it will rise a bit after RU council R2, when people realize how damn good hail is.

Defiant Primeape is horrible, since part of Primeape's main niche is to provide a hard counter to Lilligant, which it can't do without vital spirit.

12. Triple Z

Triple Z Triple Z used yawn!

I agree with epic eevee, intimidate makes it easier to set up in the first place and often you don't need the moxe boost, a DD or two is suficcient.

13. Aquadon

Aquadon TCG Trainer

I could see Scarf'd Outrage wrecking stuff with Moxie once you get all of the Physical Walls/Steels out of the way. Some of the other Abilities are okay (personally enjoy Superpower Contrary Spinda, but it's too frail/weak to do squat in reality), and the Moves are cool. It's a shame DW Moves aren't breedable; Moxie DDance Outrage would be amazing, as would those being lazy to Transfer moves from HG/SS Tutors or 4th Gen TMs.

14. complete legitimacy

It actually got Outrage from the DW. The only issues with legality is that it can't have Moxie + DD + Outrage on the same set. Either one by itself is legal however.

After playtesting a bit, it has its pros and cons. It finds it harder to set up, so it has more problems with Choiced physical attackers than it used to. However, once you do set up, it is very hard to stop.

I have not tried the Mixed set because the server hasn't been updated yet, but I am sure that it will be good for Outrage spam once it's gotten a few kills.

15. Dr.Chaos

Dr.Chaos stick in the mud

Actually, Bagon gets Outrage as a DW move. You would use salamence over dragonite if you want to run more of an offensive team anyways. Besides, a dual screener like deoxys can make it more defensive if you so wished.

EDIT: got ninja'd by complete legitimacy

16. Vandslaux

Vandslaux Well-Known Member

Only Scarf Primeape would use Defiant.

And Trapinch loses one of his niches, Arena Trap.

17. Zachmac

Zachmac Crystalline Guardian

That's the point of dragon dance. It boost speed.

Though I personally want a scarf one, it will be able to revenge kill +1 Dragonite, +1 Haxorus, +1 adamant salamence(it's jolly), Latios, Latias, and scarf Hydreigon.

18. irock245

irock245 She wants it

lol scarf terakion outspeeds +1 salamence, which is al lthey have because any good player will switch in on that one dd, and then KO.

19. Blue Harvest

Blue Harvest Banned

A Choice Band Outrage Moxie Salamence could be cool but intimidate is still pretty good. You also won't be sweeping past steels or getting to +1 very easily either.

Outrage / Meteor / Fire Blast / EQ mixmence could potentially be use able against stall. Blow something up then keep killing..

Scarf Salamence could work with Magnezone support as it doesn't need much to crush a team.

Ok its pretty useless. Intimidate is by far the better option most of the time.

20. Soperman

Soperman The One and Only

This should basically be the DW Salamence thread. No one really cares about anybody else.
    Moxiemence is sort of over-hyped. Bulky Salamence with DD can kill anything. Moxie is if you're too lazy and just feeling like scarfing it.