• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rumors/Leaks Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoennking

Is there any actual basis behind the idea that Solgaleo and Lunala are the source of its differing evolutions that I've missed? That doesn't really mesh up with the fact that the opposite form can be found in the wild in both games.

That said, I'm firmly in the camp of thinking that what the trailer was showing was a Z-Move (and hopefully one that's compatible with both forms; Midday Form already has Accelerock). I've never really bought into the idea that both Lycanroc forms having focus in the anime means that Ash will showcase this hypothetical third form either, really (it isn't like Greninja was lacking for attention before Ash got one), but anything's possible I suppose.

I thought the lychnrock was a new totam but if you skip 5 secs you can see the yellow glow that z moves do https://youtu.be/hBYQCtM2JWs

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Is there any actual basis behind the idea that Solgaleo and Lunala are the source of its differing evolutions that I've missed? That doesn't really mesh up with the fact that the opposite form can be found in the wild in both games.

If I remember correctly, that's what the pre-release info about Lycanroc said about it. I was very surprised to find the opposite form in the wild for that very reason. My guess is those ones evolved "naturally" without the influence of the Legendary Pokémon.

i2i

Big Bad Wolf
People keep on bringing up the possibility of Lycanroc getting a new form, and honestly, I don't think it's going to happen. The form Lycanroc takes depends on which Legendary, Solgaleo or Lunala, is influencing the region. If this were a normal third version, with Necrozma as the cover Legendary, then it could get a new form from Necrozma's influence, but that's not the case. Solgaleo and Lunala are still the cover Pokémon, allowing for the two Lycanroc forms to work the same way as before. On top of that, looking at things conceptually, we have a day and night form of Lycanroc, what could a third version possibly be?

Equinox would be my guess for the third Lycanroc form.

Akashin

If I remember correctly, that's what the pre-release info about Lycanroc said about it. I was very surprised to find the opposite form in the wild for that very reason. My guess is those ones evolved "naturally" without the influence of the Legendary Pokémon.

Ah, I think I found what you're referring to; I forgot about that, though I'd honestly consider that more a throwaway explanation for the game-specific evolutions than restrictive lore. With that said, the description implies that a combination of Solgaleo/Lunala's influence and time of day are a factor. Theoretically, a third form derived from Necrozma's influence could work just fine with or without time of day being a secondary aspect of it; there's no real reason why it couldn't. It really depends what Solgaleo/Lunala's influence on the whole thing even is, and whether or not Necrozma could have the same sort of influence.

With respect to the counterargument that these games still highlight Solgaleo and Lunala, I very much doubt it. The new forms are almost definitely them and not some sort of weird Sun Necrozma/Moon Necrozma or some construct formed out of Necrozma's armor, I agree, but Necrozma will still almost certainly be the focal point of the whole thing.

Last edited:

shadowF

I was just wondering, with the countless rumors of us having news in early august, how likely will we receive USUM news next week? or the week after that?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Equinox would be my guess for the third Lycanroc form.

As in the first day of fall and spring? How would that work, and what does that have to do with day and night? Yes, the term equinox refers to the length of day and night being equal, but what does that mean in the context we're discussing?

Ah, I think I found what you're referring to; I forgot about that, though I'd honestly consider that more a throwaway explanation for the game-specific evolutions than restrictive lore. With that said, the description implies that a combination of Solgaleo/Lunala's influence and time of day are a factor. Theoretically, a third form derived from Necrozma's influence could work just fine with or without time of day being a secondary aspect of it; there's no real reason why it couldn't. It really depends what Solgaleo/Lunala's influence on the whole thing even is, and whether or not Necrozma could have the same sort of influence.

I don't know, those pre-release descriptions normally seem to be up there with Pokédex descriptions when it comes to giving lore to a Pokémon. In the case of some things, like Mega Evolution, it's the only source of lore we have.

To be clear, I don't think it's impossible that a third form based off of Necrozma's influence could exist, I just don't see at as being necessary, and given the awkwardness I pointed about not having anything left to base it off of, I don't think Game Freak will bother. If they do, I won't be surprised, but I will be impressed.

With respect to the counterargument that these games still highlight Solgaleo and Lunala, I very much doubt it. The new forms are almost definitely them and not some sort of weird Sun Necrozma/Moon Necrozma or some construct formed out of Necrozma's armor, I agree, but Necrozma will still almost certainly be the focal point of the whole thing.

Necrozma will be a focal point for sure, and it could easily be "exerting influence," but at the same time, Solgaleo and Lunala will also still be exerting their influences in all likelihood (whatever that even means), which goes back to what I said about not needing to make a new form.

I was just wondering, with the countless rumors of us having news in early august, how likely will we receive USUM news next week? or the week after that?

The rumors have nothing to do with it. Either we will, or we won't. I personally think it's a descent chance that we'll get something over the course of the next two weeks, but that's just based off of logic, not rumors.

Thure

The only thing that I don't really like is the theory that the video is somehow evidence of a new Lycanroc form. I think that it's by far the most likely non-legendary Gen 7 species to receive something like that, but I agree that it looked a lot more like it was using a new Z-Move than anything - but I do kind of like this "Olivia as a captain" idea if it means we might meet a new, alternate Kahuna for some islands.

Olivia as a captain wouldn't work with the current things we know. The game clearly says that you can't be a captain past the age of 20. And Olivia is clearly older.

Akashin

I don't know, those pre-release descriptions normally seem to be up there with Pokédex descriptions when it comes to giving lore to a Pokémon. In the case of some things, like Mega Evolution, it's the only source of lore we have.

To be clear, I don't think it's impossible that a third form based off of Necrozma's influence could exist, I just don't see at as being necessary, and given the awkwardness I pointed about not having anything left to base it off of, I don't think Game Freak will bother. If they do, I won't be surprised, but I will be impressed.

Necrozma will be a focal point for sure, and it could easily be "exerting influence," but at the same time, Solgaleo and Lunala will also still be exerting their influences in all likelihood (whatever that even means), which goes back to what I said about not needing to make a new form.

I don't think anybody has tried to argue that they 'need' to make a new form, or at least I really hope not. And despite playing devil's advocate for the sake of argument I don't really expect it either, though to be fair I'm not completely up on the situation with the placeholder for perhaps a new Lycanroc form on PGL and what that means for the likelihood of it happening.

But if the influence of Solgaleo/Lunala is the key to their evolution, and Necrozma is indeed related to them, there's definitely wiggle room for them to cook up some sort of explanation if they really wanted to. If they don't, I hesitate to say that their explanation will be, "Well, Solgaleo/Lunala are still the focal point of these games and exerting their influence, so it wouldn't have made much sense to do that (laughs)."

Hero of Truth

Lillie Fan
I don't think anybody has tried to argue that they 'need' to make a new form, or at least I really hope not. And despite playing devil's advocate for the sake of argument I don't really expect it either, though to be fair I'm not completely up on the situation with the placeholder for perhaps a new Lycanroc form on PGL and what that means for the likelihood of it happening.

But if the influence of Solgaleo/Lunala is the key to their evolution, and Necrozma is indeed related to them, there's definitely wiggle room for them to cook up some sort of explanation if they really wanted to. If they don't, I hesitate to say that their explanation will be, "Well, Solgaleo/Lunala are still the focal point of these games and exerting their influence, so it wouldn't have made much sense to do that (laughs)."

If Lycanroc indeed gets a new form in USUM, I fully expect Necrozma's influence on Solgaleo/Lunala to be the reason behind its existence, as I expect said influence should definitely have an impact. A new form of Lycanroc
works the best here, because it's the only Pokémon whose appearance and type and such depends sorely on a Legendary's influence on a region and world, and if Necrozma were to hijack Solgaleo or Lunala, Lycanroc's pre-evo would be the first to feel the consequences of said hijacking, evolving into a new form of Lycanroc.

Olivia as a captain wouldn't work with the current things we know. The game clearly says that you can't be a captain past the age of 20. And Olivia is clearly older.

Actually she's 15...

Ambyssin

Winter can't come soon enough
If Lycanroc indeed gets a new form in USUM, I fully expect Necrozma's influence on Solgaleo/Lunala to be the reason behind its existence, as I expect said influence should definitely have an impact. A new form of Lycanroc
works the best here, because it's the only Pokémon whose appearance and type and such depends sorely on a Legendary's influence on a region and world, and if Necrozma were to hijack Solgaleo or Lunala, Lycanroc's pre-evo would be the first to feel the consequences of said hijacking, evolving into a new form of Lycanroc.

I kind of had a similar train of thought. But I think it depends on just how much this Necrozma corruption business factors into the overall game. If it's done like the Kyurem fusions then I don't expect a third Lycanroc form. But if this corruption is a major aspect of the game/story, then maybe we could see a different Lycanroc.

Akashin

Actually she's 15...

Uhh, you got a source for that? I can't find one, and that sure doesn't mesh up with her being old enough to call herself a woman, old enough to consider trial-goers her children, and old enough to grouse about never having been married.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Uhh, you got a source for that? I can't find one, and that sure doesn't mesh up with her being old enough to call herself a woman, old enough to consider trial-goers her children, and old enough to grouse about never having been married.

I thought a NPC in one of the buildings where Olivia's shop is said she was 22. I remember someone said it in the city.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

Sure. That was just my reasoning for why I don't think it's going to happen.

They wouldn't say it like that, but I could still see something along those lines being the reason.

And, something else I just thought of, this time from an out-of-universe perspective, a big part of Lycanroc's gimmick was having its form be different for each game. If Game Freak wants to keep that gimmick, that would require two new Lycanroc forms, not one. I don't think anyone could expect them make two new forms. Once again, this isn't an absolute reason why they couldn't, but it's one more thing that suggests they may not.

shadowF

Pikachu111213

Traveler
Have y'all seen the leak saying there's a trailer on August 2nd? It says that the trailer will reveal gyms, as well as Alolan hoothoot (psychic/flying), wooper (electric), and hoppip (fire/fairy) and Lycanroc eclipse which is rock/fairy

Akashin

So anyone know about this?

https://twitter.com/PhillyBeatzU/status/891563891553185792

Apparently he has a picture of a alternate evolution of a Pokemon and promises to post a video of it soon. Does anyone know how credible he is?

Somewhere between not even remotely and not at all. I'd say that he seems like a guy just out to get attention, but to his credit he's not making that big a production about his claim. Wait and see as per usual, I suppose.

Have y'all seen the leak saying there's a trailer on August 2nd? It says that the trailer will reveal gyms, as well as Alolan hoothoot (psychic/flying), wooper (electric), and hoppip (fire/fairy) and Lycanroc eclipse which is rock/fairy

I have, and at the moment it's no more credible than any other 'leak' that has crawled out of the woodworks so far. I think there was one that said there'd be a trailer on the 6th instead of the 2nd too, for the record.

Pikachu111213

Traveler
Somewhere between not even remotely and not at all. I'd say that he seems like a guy just out to get attention, but to his credit he's not making that big a production about his claim. Wait and see as per usual, I suppose.

I have, and at the moment it's no more credible than any other 'leak' that has crawled out of the woodworks so far. I think there was one that said there'd be a trailer on the 6th instead of the 2nd too, for the record.

Yeah I remember that. I do hope this ones legit tho because it sounds pretty nice

Status
Not open for further replies.