• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rumors/Leaks Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
What I'm saying is the 'cloth' is not the Pokemon, so the likelihood of them making a form of Mimikyu without the cloth is in no way unlikely. Sure, it's concept is using a disguise, but it also has the concept of being a 'hideous creature' beneath it.
Is there any official material stating that the negative effects of seeing its true form are caused by it being hideous? Most of the references make it sound more like its some kind of magical power or curse that its body exudes if someone sees it. In-game a Mimikyu even references it being able to curse people, as does the Mimikyu in Mimikyu's song.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
The problem is that it's core aspect comes from is it's lore not it's design, in fact if you go back and look at it when it was first revealed a lot of people hated and disliked it and were bashing it for it's design, it wasn't until Mimikyu's lore got reveal that it started gaining more popularity and actually becoming a popular pokemon. So giving it a different form where you would take away it's sheet isn't ruining Mimikyu wouldn't really ruin it's design aspect but instead expand upon it.

You can have core aspects that come from both lore and design. It's not like a Pokémon can only have one, but not the other. The two work together to make the Pokémon what it is. Mimikyu's lore is focused around it dressing as Pikachu to get attention, but its design focuses on the gimmick of the disguise.

I'm not sure why you brought up people's reactions to it though. It doesn't matter what people say about it, it doesn't change Game Freak's original intentions.

Plus it's not the same situation as Unown as they did not choose to look like letters of the alphabet, and it's unclear if people created the Alphabet before they saw the unown or if people seeing the Unown inspired them to make the Alphabet based off the shapes of Unown that they saw. Where as in Mimikyu's case there not born with the sheet in-universe they are born without it and create the disguise themselves, but it's something they choose to do because they want to make friends and they think it will help them if anything it would make sense that Mimikyu would get a form where we get to see it without the sheet.

You're actually reiterating the point I'm trying to make. Unown are Pokémon based off of writing, as that was Game Freak's design intention when creating them, just as Game Freak intended for Mimikyu to be a Pokémon that wears a disguise. Yes, in-universe Mimkyu chose to wear the sheet to garner affection, but that's in-universe justification for Game Freak's choice to make Mimkyu's design gimmick be a Pokémon wearing a disguise.

To further expand upon my Unown example, if we assume writing is based off of Unown, and not the other way around, which is what makes most sense, it's conceivable that there could be some sort of random Unown that didn't inspire a character to write with. The lore doesn't say it can't happen, but it would run counter to the design purpose of Unown, and no one would ever expect it to happen. It's the same with Mimikyu.

I mean if a form changes makes sense for a pokemon then I don't see how it would really ruin the design of said pokemon.

Most Pokémon that change form are designed for it, both lore and design-wise. Mimkyu only has one of those two criteria. Removing Mimikyu's sheet would simply defeat the purpose of having a Pokémon that wears a disguise every moment of its life.

As for having a form that looks like a different pokemon not making sense lore wise, that's not really true, because you could explain by the idea that, that particular Mimikyu grew up in an area where the most popular pokemon in the town wasn't Pikachu, like for instance say one lived Azalea Town in Johto where Slowpokes are pretty popular, if a Mimikyu lived there it would probably create a disguise that looks like a Slowpoke, thinking that it will help it make friends.

Okay, fair enough. That could work. The issue with that is that nearly everything we know about Mimikyu so far suggests that it's an innate psychological trait of the species that causes it envy Pikachu, otherwise it would be hard to believe that universally, every Mimikyu has seen a Pikachu and knows first-hand of the attention and affection it gets.

It's a Pokemon that conceals itself, it has an actual form under that cloth, or did you forget that? Plus it's disguise is 'busted' after being damaged. This form is in no way farfetched or unlikely.

No, I didn't forget that. That's actually the point I'm making. It's very definition is that it is a Pokémon that conceals itself. Taking away its disguise would be taking away it's defining characteristic.

Is there any official material stating that the negative effects of seeing its true form are caused by it being hideous? Most of the references make it sound more like its some kind of magical power or curse that its body exudes if someone sees it. In-game a Mimikyu even references it being able to curse people, as does the Mimikyu in Mimikyu's song.

The Pokédex descriptions suggest as much, as does the anime and initial reveal information on Mimikyu.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
No, I didn't forget that. That's actually the point I'm making. It's very definition is that it is a Pokémon that conceals itself. Taking away its disguise would be taking away it's defining characteristic.

No it wouldn't. It's called a form for a reason. Forms aren't intended to stick to the original concept.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
Is a new Mimikyu form even a rumor anymore? Sure that particular one could be fake, but we know there's placeholder data for it (I think on the Global Link, wherever there was placeholder data for Lycanroc) and the next episode of the anime is literally called "Mimikyu's Disguise!!"

At this point, are we sure this is a rumor? I think it's pretty solidly in "leak" territory, if it's anything.

Last edited:

Tuoko

Honestly, I'd rather they expand on Mimikyu by giving it more costumes of popular Pokemon instead of just Pikachu. I see the whole "What's under Mimikyu's cloth?" as a neo-Diglett situation.

Aside from that, while it is true there have been Pokedex entries that are misleading, that doesn't seem to be the case for Mimikyu. They've shown Meowth dying from seeing it twice in the show, and in the games a girl said she tried looking under her Mimikyu's cloth, but it wouldn't let her. There was also a Mimikyu saying "Mi...mi...curse you..." or something along those lines. And as someone said earlier, it was referenced in the Mimikyu rap. I don't really understand why they'd treat the entry as something that's actually true only to go against it.

Is a new Mimikyu form even a rumor anymore? Sure that particular one could be fake, but we know there's placeholder data for it (I think on the Global Link, wherever there was placeholder data for Lycanroc) and the next episode of the anime is literally called "Mimikyu's Disguise!!"

At this point, are we sure this is a rumor? I think it's pretty solidly in "leak" territory, if it's anything.

That placeholder was for the Totems. Totem Disguised/Busted take up those spots in the games.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
That placeholder was for the Totems. Totem Disguised/Busted take up those spots in the games.

Even so, the "leak" of this alternate form when it's already widely speculated and when the next episode of the anime deals with this issue directly, just as this one did Dusk Lycanroc, it really makes you wonder whether they're not going to do this. That, and the fact that Mimikyu was highlighted in the original trailer much as Lycanroc was - maybe that was a bit of a hint as well.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Even so, the "leak" of this alternate form when it's already widely speculated and when the next episode of the anime deals with this issue directly, just as this one did Dusk Lycanroc, it really makes you wonder whether they're not going to do this. That, and the fact that Mimikyu was highlighted in the original trailer much as Lycanroc was - maybe that was a bit of a hint as well.

Good point, I think it's likely we'll get something special for Mimikyu, whether it be a form or unique Z-move, and I'm leaning towards the former more and more.

Thure

A 'new Mimikyu form' even if semi confirmed by the GPL could still be just a MImikyu using a Marill cosplay or something like this.

We are talking about different placeholders. We're talking about the Global Link placeholders, not the ingame ones which are for the Pokedex.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
No it wouldn't. It's called a form for a reason. Forms aren't intended to stick to the original concept.

Not necessarily. Just look to our newest form with Dusk Lycanroc. It's concept and design is meant to work with the Lycanroc gimmick, not against it.

I see the whole "What's under Mimikyu's cloth?" as a neo-Diglett situation.

That is the perfect way to put it. Expecting a Mimikyu form without its sheet would be like expecting to see a new Diglett Form that walks on land.

Orphalesion

That is the perfect way to put it. Expecting a Mimikyu form without its sheet would be like expecting to see a new Diglett Form that walks on land.

Actually Mimikyu is quite different from that of Diglett.

Mimikyu not letting anybody look under it's sheet actually has a justification; seeing it's true shape would put a curse on you or harm you in some other way because it's so frightening/hideous. So we don't get to see under the sheet and I'm fine with that because it's been given a logical in-universe rationalization.

We don't get to see Diglett's legs because....hur hur it's a MYSTERIEZ herp derp hur hur hur. It's never been given any justification why Diglett would come out of the Pokeball already half-burried...even when released on solid concrete, asphalt, the ocean etc etc etc. It's just stupid and one of the reasons Diglett is one of my least favourite pokemon (that and it's stupid "evolution").

Personally I'd rather have a Diglett form that shows it's lower body than a Mimikyu form that removes its sheet.

Akashin

Actually Mimikyu is quite different from that of Diglett.

Mimikyu not letting anybody look under it's sheet actually has a justification; seeing it's true shape would put a curse on you or harm you in some other way because it's so frightening/hideous. So we don't get to see under the sheet and I'm fine with that because it's been given a logical in-universe rationalization.

We don't get to see Diglett's legs because....hur hur it's a MYSTERIEZ herp derp hur hur hur. It's never been given any justification why Diglett would come out of the Pokeball already half-burried...even when released on solid concrete, asphalt, the ocean etc etc etc. It's just stupid and one of the reasons Diglett is one of my least favourite pokemon (that and it's stupid "evolution").

Personally I'd rather have a Diglett form that shows it's lower body than a Mimikyu form that removes its sheet.

But they weren't talking about how comparable the two are in terms of how justified their respective mysteries are, just that they're similar in that they both have mysteries that will quite likely never be solved.

Which I only agree with to a point because clearly we're seeing something of what's under the disguise in USUM, be it a weird cutscene of sorts or an exclusive Z-Move animation, though it seems to still just be showing it as a shadow sort of thing (which may well be all it is anyway, though I'd have to question why something like that would be enough to scare a man to death when we have the Gengar line running around anyway).

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
But they weren't talking about how comparable the two are in terms of how justified their respective mysteries are, just that they're similar in that they both have mysteries that will quite likely never be solved.

Which I only agree with to a point because clearly we're seeing something of what's under the disguise in USUM, be it a weird cutscene of sorts or an exclusive Z-Move animation, though it seems to still just be showing it as a shadow sort of thing (which may well be all it is anyway, though I'd have to question why something like that would be enough to scare a man to death when we have the Gengar line running around anyway).

I think they can retain the fear aspect by having it be shadowy and dark, much like the alleged leak above - it's still possibly obscured by being totally black with just sparkling pinpoint eyes. And let's be real, if that thing is legit then it really is one of the more terrifying things in the Pokemon universe - try going running into that right next to your face in a dark house or supermarket without having a heart attack!

Tuoko

Can you name an example of a form that has broken away from the original concept? The only one I can think of is Alolan Sandshrew/Sandslash.

If they do reveal its true form, which I personally doubt, then yeah it'd tie in with the anime. Though I can't see them doing it back to back.

A 'new Mimikyu form' even if semi confirmed by the GPL could still be just a MImikyu using a Marill cosplay or something like this.

We are talking about different placeholders. We're talking about the Global Link placeholders, not the ingame ones which are for the Pokedex.

I know, and that's what I'm talking about. There were only 6 placeholder images. The PGL goes by the games' data, so Raticate and Mimikyu's spots are the Totems because
they use those exact numbers in the games. This is also backed up by Magearna and Marshadow's.

The only strange one was Lycanroc. If the Mimikyu placeholder was to actually be a new form, then the dataminers would have brought it up instead of just Lycanroc. So I'm confused why people uses the PGL as evidence when it doesn't support their argument.

Besides, if everyone were to actually ignore them being Totems, then the PGL also supports Raticate gaining another form, and no one talks about that. People just seem to be misinformed in regards to the PGL placeholders, yet they still want to cling onto that misinformation. :/

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
I know, and that's what I'm talking about. There were only 6 placeholder images. The PGL goes by the games' data, so Raticate and Mimikyu's spots are the Totems because
they use those exact numbers in the games. This is also backed up by Magearna and Marshadow's.

The only strange one was Lycanroc. If the Mimikyu placeholder was to actually be a new form, then the dataminers would have brought it up instead of just Lycanroc. So I'm confused why people uses the PGL as evidence when it doesn't support their argument.

Besides, if everyone were to actually ignore them being Totems, then the PGL also supports Raticate gaining another form, and no one talks about that. People just seem to be misinformed in regards to the PGL placeholders, yet they still want to cling onto that misinformation. :/

I don't think anyone is clinging to misinformation if they don't know they received misinformation in the first place? Which I didn't until I did some research last night, and I'm sure most people don't either, considering the fact that nearly all of the discussion about the PGL placeholders has failed to mention that it has a slot for Raticate. Nobody is ignoring the Totems being part of that, because most people probably aren't aware.

So like, aside from you answering your own confusion as to why people use it as evidence - the reason being that from what they were told, it is evidence, and they don't know better - I think people are just using what they've been told to be the facts to support their thoughts. It's not like most of us here are the primary sources for the PGL placeholder information; everything we know was passed on by others, and if they misinterpreted along the way, then the information we each received might entirely omit the Raticate information, and thus present as a reasonable piece of evidence for a Mimikyu form until we receive the full information.

Novembre

I like the mystery with Mimikyu's true form. That's one of the reasons I love it. I don't want to see its true form...

knightwolf09

When I think about it, has there ever been a pokemon that's kept it's true form a secret? I mean Type:Null was close, but then got an evo that reveals itself.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
When I think about it, has there ever been a pokemon that's kept it's true form a secret? I mean Type:Null was close, but then got an evo that reveals itself.

The closest analogy would have to be Diglett concealing its lower body, but I'll admit that's not really the same thing. But that's pretty much the summary of why Mimikyu shouldn't get a form that reveals it. It's identity is centered around the fact that we don't actually know what it looks like.

Xeogran

Marshadow Fan
Unlike Diglett's legs, the Anime seems to be trying to gradually show us Mimikyu without it's cloth, even though the game doesn't. I'll be surpriesd if this doesn't reach a conclusion.

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
Not really sure about Mimikyu's new form. I believe that its true form will remain a mystery and that leak is fake. Well, if the upcoming Mimikyu episode or GF don't reveal anything till Thursday I think its chances to get a new form will be decreased.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.