• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rumors & Leaks - Speculation/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I like the concept of convergent evolution. As long as it doesn't take up a huge portion of the new roster, I'm ok with it sticking around.

DannyDark

I do wonder, when we've got regional forms, why they need to do something so so incredibly similar.. but then stress it's a different Pokemon entirely.. but then also call it almost exactly the same name as the Pokemon people think it's a form of.

I suppose with regard to convergent evolution... that's just way too broad a term to really put into practice? Like, as I understand it, you could argue that Noibat and Wingull are products of convergent evolution because both evolved to have wings? Whereas when the looks and name are extremely close, that lends itself more to just being a variation/mutation/form of the same species.

Last edited:

Copley Hill Gym

Maybe the Tentacool Rfake idea will be done better, Diglett/Wiglett feels like very, very, very low hanging fruit that is perhaps a bit too simplistic and way too close to the original.

Then again, in Dragon Quest Monsters there are recolours of existing monsters (Blizzardy/Phoenix for one) so perhaps this was to be expected at some point. Could make for some new creatures that are familiar but different to bulk rosters up. I question if Diglett was the right choice to reveal.

Weird how the leaks were spot on, but I remember seeing a blue geyser themed Diglett-a-like that I really liked. This version is just a bit...too simple.

There again, Alolan Diglett and Dugtrio were also very simplistic with hair added...

Bets on the new evo being called Wugtrio?

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
The concept sounds original on the paper but the execution is just ew
And they could have used original Lokemosn instead of another gen 1 which alreadyyyyy got a new form in the past
I’m a Lokemon fan since gen one but it’s very tiring and I love new gens too ….. only me it seems

Luthor

I do wonder, when we've got regional forms, why they need to do something so so incredibly similar.. but then stress it's a different Pokemon entirely.. but then also call it almost exactly the same name as the Pokemon people think it's a form of.

My guess is that it started off in the design process as a regional form but during development they decided to cut back on number of regional forms and thus they retooled this slightly into a new Pokemon or it was regional form they wanted to alter the stats (given that all regional forms have the same base stat total)

Bets on the new evo being called Wugtrio?

Do we have confirmation it has an evo?

Pudimon

Certified Pudding Monster
According to the video, it's not a regional variant.

It's an entirely new species unrelated to Diglett.

This is the Convergent Evolution stuff that has been talked about for a while. Now it's confirmed.
Oh yes, I understand the concept, I just meant it's understandable how the name "regional fake" came to be. It looks very much like a regional variant... but it is not.

Also, I don't think this is going to become a thing. Maybe it's just an one-off, a silly little joke pokémon that look likes diglett. Maybe the tentacool one doesn't even look like a tentacool, we'll see it in time.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Seeing as there's only two convergent Pokemon: Wiglett and not!Tentacool, this is possibly experimental. And the DLC might introduce more (unless it's just gonna be all legendaries again).

MunchMunch

Oh yes, I understand the concept, I just meant it's understandable how the name "regional fake" came to be. It looks very much like a regional variant... but it is not.

Also, I don't think this is going to become a thing. Maybe it's just an one-off, a silly little joke pokémon that look likes diglett. Maybe the tentacool one doesn't even look like a tentacool, we'll see it in time.
They've been hinting at this coming because of the Galarian Bird Trio. This is basically what they meant.

Marzbar

We probably can’t really trust what Kaka said about what Pokémon are in the game. The Applin line being there is pretty contradictory. Kaka may not have fully explored the game.

I watched all the paldean ecology videos. What I will say is this:

The areas look VERY empty and VERY bland. But I expected as much. Also the fight between Seviper and Zangoose was soooo awkward looking.

Pokémon that were shown:
Olive Orchard: Mareep and Diglett
Field with pond: Seviper, Zangoose, Marill / Azumarill, Psyduck
Beach: Wiglett, Wingull, Magikarp
Desert: Sandile, Krokorok, Phanphy, regular Donphan
Swamp: paldean wooper and psyduck

Pudimon

Certified Pudding Monster
I'll be honest, I thought it was Sword and Shield for a second lol
It's definitely very similar to SwSh, what is a pity since we can see what the Switch is capable of in high-end games, like Xenoblade Chronicles 3 for example. Game Freak is surely taking baby steps in developing games with a larger scope than they were used to.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
It's definitely very similar to SwSh, what is a pity since we can see what the Switch is capable of in high-end games, like Xenoblade Chronicles 3 for example. Game Freak is surely taking baby steps in developing games with a larger scope than they were used to.
If rather a non open world with a rich environment like Kalos then

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Now, I can kind of understand the reasoning behind the "regional fake" term.

Anyway, not much a fan of it.

As for right now, the game isn't really exciting me though it seems like the roster will be more acceptable than SwSh.

Hopefully Hisuan Decidueye line and gen 3 starters make it

Status
Not open for further replies.