• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rumors & Leaks - Speculation/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I’ll post this again with more detail as nobody replied and I think this is information nobody discussed.

I don’t like the Pokémon type of Wiglett or it’s design to match.

For one, it’s called a garden eel Pokémon but it looks more like a sandworm or tube worm Pokémon. Garden eels have gills, tiny side fins, and a long back fin and tail and teeth in a jaw. I’ve yet to see any of those on Wiglett. I think they made a big mistake with its description.

Idk why they make it look like diglett if it’s not related that just seems dumb. Make it look like an eel.
Pokemon can be based on more than one thing, and their designation in the dex is rarely exhaustive (Sandshrew is much more a pangolin than a mouse for instance). In Wiglett's case the way it poses and behaves shares a lot with garden eels, but its actual body is indeed more like a worm in appearance (something they had little choice but to do if they wanted it to look very similar to Diglett). But then again having no apparent fur or limbs didn't stop Diglett from being called a "mole."

Basically, you're asking it to adhere to being a "garden eel" a lot more than is necessary for it to have the name. Just look at all the spider pokemon that don't have eight legs.

If there is one thing I dislike (rather than feeling neutral about) or at least am confused about, it's the decision to have the sand around Wiglett rotate along with its body. Why not just keep it still and have the Wiglett rotate within it? They don't seem to be going for the idea that the sand is connected to its body in its biology.

Last edited:

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I’ll post this again with more detail as nobody replied and I think this is information nobody discussed.

I don’t like the Pokémon type of Wiglett or it’s design to match.

For one, it’s called a garden eel Pokémon but it looks more like a sandworm or tube worm Pokémon. Garden eels have gills, tiny side fins, and a long back fin and tail and teeth in a jaw. I’ve yet to see any of those on Wiglett. I think they made a big mistake with its description.

Idk why they make it look like diglett if it’s not related that just seems dumb. Make it look like an eel.

Lastly, I hope to god it’s evolution won’t be Wigtrio, a tangled up 3 headed worm. ‍There’s been rumors and I think that is such a lazy design.

If they want to go convergent species, make Coral snake/Scarlett king snake Pokémon two different species with same trait. That’s something unique and works.

What garden eels really look like
gorgonsia-drawing588.jpg

Wiglett-Pokemon-Scarlet-and-Violet-Official-Artwork.jpg.webp

Fan art, but much more of a garden eel representation.
_122_nageel_v2_by_smiley_fakemon_db0fqk3-pre.png
Looks muchhhhhhhh better

ShadowForce720

Either way, RFake isn't a good term. It implies the Pokemon are fake or artificial. It also doesn't sound like a canonical term. I hope a name never sticks cause we don't really need one, but anything is better than RFake.
Hopefully they won't actually be called that.

Since I do like new categories though, do you think that "Convergent Pokémon" or "Convergent Species" would work better? It would also include the Diglett and Tentacool lines.
Judging by the leaks they won't really be a group acknowledged in-game, but I do think it will be useful to have a category for Wiglett and notTentacool. And as always with fan terms, only time will tell which one wins out in the end.
Even in 'convergent species' might not be appropriate for all of them it seems to be the one gaining the most traction, and I wouldn't be surprised if it became the norm. It's not like fan terms aren't filled with inaccuracies like 'regional rodent' and so on.

I just hope it isn't something that will lead to endless discussions. Like with SM vs SuMo, SS vs SwSh, and so on. As ultimately it doesn't really matter much.
What about as another option as opposed to calling them Regional Fakes and/or Covergent species, we call them Regional Look-Alikes or another similar term?

If there is one thing I dislike (rather than feeling neutral about) or at least am confused about, it's the decision to have the sand around Wiglett rotate along with its body. Why not just keep it still and have the Wiglett rotate within it? They don't seem to be going for the idea that the sand is connected to its body in its biology.
Probably just for simplicity's sake. The game would need to have separate models for the body and sand to keep track of where both parts are pointing. I wonder why they decided to make the sand pile striped and non-circular though, as I feel these aspects make it a lot more evident when Wigglet turns than Diglett.

Luthor

What about as another option as opposed to calling them Regional Fakes and/or Covergent species, we call them Regional Look-Alikes or another similar term?

I'd probably just stick with Look-alike as we don't technically yet know if they are regional. They may not be Paldea specific just Paldea discovered.

Nave

Shame on everyone dumping on Wiglett. I will defend Wiglett to the death.
Seriously though, I like how it gets Gooey as its ability. It's basically the same ability as Tangling Hair for Alolan Diglett.

Litleonid

I'd probably just stick with Look-alike as we don't technically yet know if they are regional. They may not be Paldea specific just Paldea discovered.
Honestly a much better term.

Pudimon

Certified Pudding Monster
Oh, I've never really thought about it this way, but the fact they didn't made the look-alikes regional variants from the beggining may be because this way is a lot easier to use them in future games since they're not tied to any regions.

Also, just realized I'm kinda disappointed we didn't get a meowth variant this time around. I was counting on every new gen to have a new meowth since the last two got one.

Rune Knight

Also, just realized I'm kinda disappointed we didn't get a meowth variant this time around. I was counting on every new gen to have a new meowth since the last two got one.

I feel the same as well; but I have hope that there is still time to introduce one later in the generation if they do end up covering other and older regions such as with Legends Arceus.

One thing that someone noted is that every Meowth variant shares a weakness to the Fighting Type which I find to be a really fun trend; so I'm hoping that the next one could be a Rock Type, and be based off of a more primal version like a Caveman.

Last edited:

Litleonid

The current rumour right now is that there's a new trailer 1st week of October and it will show Paradox Tyranitar at minimum.
Its pretty believable and I just kinda expect next week. They've been consistent lately with the first week of the month. I'm interested in seeing how the Paradox Pokemon look. I just hope enough was changed to warrant a new dex number. I hope it also includes the picnic feature and how eggs will work. Didn't Kaka say that you can also make sandwiches?

Last edited:

kemal07

I can imagine the following for upcoming trailers before the release date:

- Introducing Paradox Pokémon (version exclusive Future and Ancient forms).

- Picnics and egg feature along with Arven. Then the worm titan Pokémon to promote the Titan storyline.

- The Engine Pokémon to be officially revealed. Then another Team Star Squad and Boss to promote the Team Star storyline.

- One more Gym Leader and / or Elite Four member to promote the League storyline.

- New evolution of a previous gen Pokémon.

- Regional bug and bird Pokémon.

- Starter evolutions (second stage ony)

And a gut feeling I have is that we may also see Lechonk's gender exclusive evolutions.

Ultra Beast Lover

I hope we learn about what Penny's doing in the villain team arc. Even if she does happen to be secretly the leader she must have some role.

kemal07

I hope we learn about what Penny's doing in the villain team arc. Even if she does happen to be secretly the leader she must have some role.
Of course! But I doubt that will be in the trailer. I think that is supposed to be a 'surprising' reveal when playing the game as we progress through the storyline.

Luthor

I feel the same as well; but I have hope that there is still time to introduce one later in the generation if they do end up covering other and older regions such as with Legends Arceus.

One thing that someone noted is that every Meowth variant tends share a common weakness to the Fighting Type which I find to be a really fun trend; so I'm hoping that the next one could be a Rock Type, and be based off of a more primal version like a Caveman.

There could easily be other regional variants added lately either via DLC or later games within the gen. My guess is that they wanted to have less regional forms this time around as Pokemon type changing will be very common this game and as such they decided in the base game to only have particular ones that would have the most impact and then add more evolutions and new pokemon (like the paradox and lookalikes) that they could alter the stats with.

As for a new meowth form (probably not in this game) personally I mainly want a ghost form which I know loses the common fighting weakness but mainly because I want more gen 1 pokemon with ghost forms.

Oh, I've never really thought about it this way, but the fact they didn't made the look-alikes regional variants from the beggining may be because this way is a lot easier to use them in future games since they're not tied to any regions.

That's my suspicion. The fact that regional forms are region specific is very cool for the region that they are from (to make each region feel different) but it does have the downside that means they are harder to use outside it. With these lookalikes they could easily be seen in many regions.

GLTSRY

Sorry not sorry for my smugness
I mean, if they really wanted to, they could have some regional forms on different regions and say that this is the dominant species. G-Farfetch’d could theoretically live everywhere, A-Exeggutor could also exist in Hoenn and Paldea due to the sun, A-Marowak could live in other regions with volcanoes like Hoenn or Sinnoh and so on.

This is a game where fossils can be revived (or combined), so finding regional variants in different regions wouldn’t be something too extraordinary.

Status
Not open for further replies.