• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rumors & Leaks - Speculation/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowForce720

I don’t really seeing the problem with having another legendary dragon trio for the mascots of the games and for one being a repeated type.

Sure I could understand if this gen was the gen that directly followed gen 5 or if the gen before it had the legendary mascots be a trio of Legendary dragons again.

However we haven’t had a legendary trio of Dragons be the mascots for the games since gen 5, so we had 3 consecutive generations where 2 of the members of trio weren’t Drsgon type.

Plus it would be interesting to see how this Electric/Dragon type legendary Pokémon will differ from Zekrom and the other two mascots are repeated types.

Of course we don’t for sure if the mascots for gen 9 will be another legendary dragon trio or if they will be something else.

Fortunately we should find out what the mascots for Scarlet and Violet are in May or June of this year so we will be able to find out if we are getting another legendary dragon trio for the mascots.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
I don’t really seeing the problem with having another legendary dragon trio for the mascots of the games and for one being a repeated type.

Sure I could understand if this gen was the gen that directly followed gen 5 or if the gen before it had the legendary mascots be a trio of Legendary dragons again.

However we haven’t had a legendary trio of Dragons be the mascots for the games since gen 5, so we had 3 consecutive generations where 2 of the members of trio weren’t Drsgon type.

Plus it would be interesting to see how this Electric/Dragon type legendary Pokémon will differ from Zekrom and the other two mascots are repeated types.

Of course we don’t for sure if the mascots for gen 9 will be another legendary dragon trio or if they will be something else.

Fortunately we should find out what the mascots for Scarlet and Violet are in May or June of this year so we will be able to find out if we are getting another legendary dragon trio for the mascots.
My issue with the repeat is we have many other typing combinations that haven't been used for Cover Legendaries. Even in terms of dragons we still have options like Dark, Bug, or Grass, the latter two of which hasn't been used for a Cover Legendary at all, and yet instead we're going back to a type combination that has already been seen. Also, while we haven't had a trio of Dragon Cover Legendaries since 5, we have had Dragon Cover Legendaries and adjacent ones in every gen since 3: Rayquaza, the Creation trio, Tao trio, Zygarde, Ultra Necrozma, and Eternatus. Dragon is by far the most prominent typing among Cover Legendaries (Psychic and Steel are tied for the closest, and they only have four) and even Legendaries as a whole, so it's not exactly a unique option to use.

Personally, I just wish there was more variety in their choices here. I do enjoy dragons and many of the Cover Legendaries that do have the typing, but it doesn't mean that I don't wish they'd play around with their options more.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
My issue with the repeat is we have many other typing combinations that haven't been used for Cover Legendaries. Even in terms of dragons we still have options like Dark, Bug, or Grass, the latter two of which hasn't been used for a Cover Legendary at all, and yet instead we're going back to a type combination that has already been seen. Also, while we haven't had a trio of Dragon Cover Legendaries since 5, we have had Dragon Cover Legendaries and adjacent ones in every gen since 3: Rayquaza, the Creation trio, Tao trio, Zygarde, Ultra Necrozma, and Eternatus. Dragon is by far the most prominent typing among Cover Legendaries (Psychic and Steel are tied for the closest, and they only have four) and even Legendaries as a whole, so it's not exactly a unique option to use.

Personally, I just wish there was more variety in their choices here. I do enjoy dragons and many of the Cover Legendaries that do have the typing, but it doesn't mean that I don't wish they'd play around with their options more.
Electric and Fighting sound so un releated to each other. I wonder what each will represent…

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I'm not really expecting them to introduce a lot of new Pokemon.

Well, Gen 8 managed to amass 96 pokemon in total, including Legends. Of course, this is over the course of 2.5 years, but nonetheless it is the most pokemon of any generation since the series went 3D:

- Gen VI: 72 New Pokémon
- Gen VII: 88 New Pokémon
- Gen VIII: 96 New Pokémon

With Sword & Shield alone, Gen 8 has 89 pokemon, more than Gen 7. I think it's entirely possible for them to introduce 100+ brand new pokemon, especially if they're keeping the rosters low.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
Electric and Fighting sound so un releated to each other. I wonder what each will represent…
That's a good question, there's not a lot of overlap in terms of what concepts they could represent. The only thing I can really say is that the Electric half will probably avoid mechanical energy as that would be a repeat of Zekrom, so maybe something Physics related since then you can get into things like forces of motion and atomic particles which can be related to both physical and electrical traits.

ShadowForce720

That's a good question, there's not a lot of overlap in terms of what concepts they could represent. The only thing I can really say is that the Electric half will probably avoid mechanical energy as that would be a repeat of Zekrom, so maybe something Physics related since then you can get into things like forces of motion and atomic particles which can be related to both physical and electrical traits.
I don’t know if this will actually be the case but I saw a rumor that was saying that when it came to that legendary Dragon Trio that the Scarlet mascot would represent Inferred light while the Violet mascot would represent Ultraviolet light and it seemed to have the 3rd legendary representing Dark Matter.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Well, Gen 8 managed to amass 96 pokemon in total, including Legends. Of course, this is over the course of 2.5 years, but nonetheless it is the most pokemon of any generation since the series went 3D:

- Gen VI: 72 New Pokémon
- Gen VII: 88 New Pokémon
- Gen VIII: 96 New Pokémon

With Sword & Shield alone, Gen 8 has 89 pokemon, more than Gen 7. I think it's entirely possible for them to introduce 100+ brand new pokemon, especially if they're keeping the rosters low.
I think that a 100+ roster will never happen again unless they revert back to 2D sprites.

Orphalesion

I think Fighting and Electric seem like a natural match; you need a good amount of energy to perform martial arts, and a lot of electric Pokemon are about absorbing and storing electric energy (Pikachu's cheeks for example)
So a Electric/Fighting Pokemon that's a martial artist who stores and uses electric energy in order to dart around, punch and kick at a speed like lightning seems like a concept that ought to have shown up a lot sooner.

Edit: Also there's a new supposed leak about pineapple-themed forms of Oddish and Gloom. It's obviously fake, but they are really darn cute designs and the rumour also said that instead of Vileplume Pinapple-Gloom would evolve into a new form when exposed to a certain berry, and that there'd be a new form of Bellossom though a "music themed" evolution stone. I honestly wish that was real.
Though on the negative side it sounds like someone is trying to make the "sound type" happen again. It's not gonna happen.

In general I really hope we'll get regional forms of the Oddish line someday.

Last edited:

janejane6178

I think Fighting and Electric seem like a natural match; you need a good amount of energy to perform martial arts, and a lot of electric Pokemon are about absorbing and storing electric energy (Pikachu's cheeks for example)
So a Electric/Fighting Pokemon that's a martial artist who stores and uses electric energy in order to dart around, punch and kick at a speed like lightning seems like a concept that ought to have shown up a lot sooner.

Edit: Also there's a new supposed leak about pineapple-themed forms of Oddish and Gloom. It's obviously fake, but they are really darn cute designs and the rumour also said that instead of Vileplume Pinapple-Gloom would evolve into a new form when exposed to a certain berry, and that there'd be a new form of Bellossom though a "music themed" evolution stone. I honestly wish that was real.
Though on the negative side it sounds like someone is trying to make the "sound type" happen again. It's not gonna happen.

In general I really hope we'll get regional forms of the Oddish line someday.
I hope its false. Tired of seeing gen 1 Pokemon getting new gimmicks all the time.
Was so happy when Goodra and Avalugg got regional forms... Now more Kalos Pokemon deserve love :)

Orphalesion

I hope its false. Tired of seeing gen 1 Pokemon getting new gimmicks all the time.
Was so happy when Goodra and Avalugg got regional forms... Now more Kalos Pokemon deserve love :)

It's most certainly false. But again, I don't really mind which regions Pokemon come from, as long as I like them. Among the Kalos Pokemon I'd like to see the Spritzee, Skrelp, Skiddo and Florges lines getting regional forms (though we've already seen Flabebe)
In contrast I never liked Goodra and Avalugg (Avalugg's just so ugly) and I don't like their Hisuian forms either.

A big reason I want the Oddish line to get regional forms is because I'd like to see a regional form of Bellossom. I really like Bellossom, but it's held back by its pure grass type.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
If you consider all the models and animations they have to make to create regional variants, they've already done it.
I don't because I don't count regional variants as their own new Pokemon because they don't have a unique National Dex number.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I don't because I don't count regional variants as their own new Pokemon because they don't have a unique National Dex number.

That is not the relevant factor. The factor is the amount of work and effort done to create something markedly different, such as Hisiuan Lilligant and Galarian Meowth.

That same amount of effort can be used to create brand new pokemon. They wouldn't have to work any harder than they already do. Lilligant and Meowth could've easily been new pokemon, as could Galarian Ponyta and Rapidash, Hisian Zoroark, Alolan Sandslash, and even some mega forms.

All they have to is redirect the effort towards making new pokemon, and from the looks of it, that's what they're doing.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
That is not the relevant factor. The factor is the amount of work and effort done to create something markedly different, such as Hisiuan Lilligant and Galarian Meowth.

That same amount of effort can be used to create brand new pokemon. They wouldn't have to work any harder than they already do. Lilligant and Meowth could've easily been new pokemon, as could Galarian Ponyta and Rapidash, Hisian Zoroark, Alolan Sandslash, and even some mega forms.

All they have to is redirect the effort towards making new pokemon, and from the looks of it, that's what they're doing.
Although regional variants are much easier for them to create because they already have a template to work off of, and having a large amount of new Pokemon can work to their detriment, as shown with a lot of the Gen 5 Pokemon being blatant expies of past Pokemon.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Although regional variants are much easier for them to create because they already have a template to work off of, and having a large amount of new Pokemon can work to their detriment, as shown with a lot of the Gen 5 Pokemon being blatant expies of past Pokemon.

Gen 5 was a deliberate attempt to mirror Gen 1, and I think we can all say they won't make that attempt again. lol

As for regional variants, some of them are so drastically different from their original counterparts that you could easily mistake them for a new pokemon, such as the ones I mentioned earlier. The template isn't always there. At any rate, we've already reached 96 pokemon with Gen 8. What's preventing them from making four more?

janejane6178

Everytime I see this thread has a new msg I think we have some new leaks ... :(
Anyway, I wonder if this leaker will bring more info soon.... and whether it will give info about characters? I wonder if we will have gym leaders....

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Gen 5 was a deliberate attempt to mirror Gen 1, and I think we can all say they won't make that attempt again. lol

As for regional variants, some of them are so drastically different from their original counterparts that you could easily mistake them for a new pokemon, such as the ones I mentioned earlier. The template isn't always there. At any rate, we've already reached 96 pokemon with Gen 8. What's preventing them from making four more?
All that time that it takes to create new models, especially if they're going for another form change gimmick like Megas and G-Max, along with new regional variants. I'm expecting these games to introduce around the same number of Pokemon that Sun and Moon had. It took Gen 8 two games plus DLC for one of them to reach that 96 number. It wasn't all available in Sword and Shield's base game.

Last edited:

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
All that time that it takes to create new models, especially if they're going for another form change gimmick likes Megas and G-Max, along with new regional variants. I'm expecting these games to introduce around the same number of Pokemon that Sun and Moon had. It took Gen 8 two games plus DLC for one of them to reach that 96 number. It wasn't all available in Sword and Shield's base game.

And it doesn't have to be this time, either. But even then, the one barrier to entry that prevented Game Freak from even making a game like Sword & Shield - the National Dex - has been removed. Since they no longer have to code every pokemon and form in existence, they have more room to create new pokemon.

I don't expect too many old pokemon to [initially] return in Scarlet & Violet; maybe 350 at the most. I do expect a lot more new pokemon than before. It's possible now.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
And it doesn't have to be this time, either. But even then, the one barrier to entry that prevented Game Freak from even making a game like Sword & Shield - the National Dex - has been removed. Since they no longer have to code every pokemon and form in existence, they have more room to create new pokemon.

I don't expect too many old pokemon to [initially] return in Scarlet & Violet; maybe 350 at the most. I do expect a lot more new pokemon than before. It's possible now.
It certainly was in the case in Gen 8. No, it wasn't. Sword and Shield only had 81 in the base game. It only got up to 96 through a DLC that added eight more and a completely separate game that added another seven. Basically they're content with these small new Pokemon numbers, and I only expect it to change if they go back to 2D games again.

Status
Not open for further replies.