• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rumors & Leaks - Speculation/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowForce720

I wouldn't say no to a Legends Celebi that serves as a direct sequel to LA. Rei/Akari and a detachment from the Survey Corps head to Johto (likely driven by a desire to learn more about Arceus and the Unown), where they assist natives in building the Sinjoh Ruins; Rei/Akari would be instrumental to this, as (presumably) the only person to ever lay eyes on the Hall of Origin that the Mystri Stage takes inspiration from. While there they learn about Celebi, who Rei/Akari sees as a means of returning to their own time period. What follows is a quest that, among other things, leads to the creation of the GS Ball (probably involving Lugia and Ho-Oh in some way) as part of a quest to catch Celebi and get its help to return home.

There's something there.
You know they the whole past Suicune paradox mon from the DLC could be hinting at a legends game that takes place In Johto where get the original 3 Pokémon that wound up becoming Suicune, Entei, and Raikou.

With Past Suicune being what Suicune originally looked like before becoming Suicune. Heck they could even introduce new members to the legendary beast trio, maybe even new members to the legendary bird trio, and maybe even a new member to the Tower Duo making it a Tower Trio.

Although if this is the case then maybe Future Virizion is also serving as a hint to something. Of course this is all just theory and speculation.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I'd rather Unova get anything like a Legends game or remake than a Let's Go 2 Johto. Johto is my least favorite region and the Let's Go format is pretty boring. A Legends games set here wouldn't be my first choice but would take it.

Litleonid

I didn't mind Let's Go that much, but I wish they didn't treat it as if Gen II to Gen VII never happened to an extent. They allowed Megas and Alolan variants, so it really irritated me that they didn't allow evolutions like Scizor, Espeon, Electivire, ect. If they do another for Johto, just give us evolutions like Leafeon, Glaceon, Gliscor, and Weavile.

Rune Knight

Forgot to state this earlier.

I just love Wiglett's concept and design. The video with difference researches pondering on whether it is a regional form of Diglett or new Pokémon altogether really adds on the world building aspect of this series and I hope that we get more of that.

I wrote a theory earlier this month surrounding the concept behind R-Fakes, stating them to be perhaps failed experiments or clones of their original counterparts which I hope turns out right or bares a similar idea; and I do hope that we get more R-Fakes in future DLC and subsequent games.

Rune Knight

I have no issues with Wiglett’s concept or design. My only issue is that if it’s a new, unrelated Pokémon to Diglett and we should treat it as such, then why call it Wiglett? Name is quite jarring and contradictory

I personally don't see how.

Lore wise, I like to think that it was named bearing Diglett's heavy resemblance in mind. It's probably also meant to be a pun on "wiggle it", which makes sense considering its behavior. The two pokémon probably also have similar DNA, but slightly different enough to classify them as separate species.

Directly from Bulbapedia:

Wiglett may be a combination of wiggle, water, and Diglett.

Last edited:

Marzbar

Lore wise, I like to think that it was named bearing Diglett's heavy resemblance in mind. It's probably also meant to be a pun on "wiggle it", which makes sense considering its behavior. The two pokémon probably also have similar DNA, but slightly different enough to classify them as separate species.

Similar DNA? Says who?

It’s a mole and an eel….

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army

I was thinking it was more of a pun on “wiggle it.” The -lett suffix isn’t that unusual to be part of a Pokémon’s name that is unrelated to Diglett since we’ve got Ducklett and Golett.

Pudimon

Certified Pudding Monster

Lore-wise it wasn't really named, right? Pokémon say their own names, no one is naming them

As for why the devs decided for a similar name I just think they wanted to reinforce the conection between the two pokémon (and it is a funny name)

Luthor

Lore-wise it wasn't really named, right? Pokémon say their own names, no one is naming them

As for why the devs decided for a similar name I just think they wanted to reinforce the conection between the two pokémon (and it is a funny name)

Technically that's only definite within the anime as far as I recall. In-game they each have a cry most of which normally doesn't really sound like a name (excluding a few key examples like Pikachu). Some Pokemon are confirmed to be named by certain people such as Gladion who named Silvally.

Captain Jigglypuff

Wigglet? really . . . I was hoping for a NEW pokemon or gameplay mechanic.
Wiglett IS a new Pokémon. There are many animals that look nearly identical to another animal but aren’t really related to them. The non-venomous kingsnake looks very similar to the venomous coral snake and will cause people to panic if they aren’t familiar with the way to tell the two apart from one another. Butterflies also incorporate mimicry of poisonous species to make birds not want to eat them.

Captain Jigglypuff

So they say, its a recolored diglet with an elongated neck from gen 1, we already had alolan diglet enough is enough!
Again Wiglett is just an example of species mimicry. There are so many animals that look like other species that typically use them as defense mechanisms. Frogs, snakes, butterflies, and even birds have species that look nearly identical to another.

LordSerperior

Wiglett is definitely not an example of mimicry which is primarily a predator deterrence mechanism based on similar appearance. Wiglett is not going to fool anyone into thinking it's either version of Diglett so not mimicry.

The closer concept would be convergent evolution where different species develop similar characteristics in response to similar evolutionary pressures. Except it doesn't work well in the context of Pokémon because of how poorly defined Pokémon biology is. Do Pokémon have the same taxonomy as real world animals? Are they divided into class, family, order, genus, etc? How do we know how far apart Wiglett and Diglett are evolutionarily to call it convergent evolution? We don't even know what Diglett's ecological niche is or what evolutionary pressures caused it to evolve the way it did. They want to adapt biological concepts as is into Pokémon without all of the context around them, which makes the execution quite weak and the whole thing feels unnecessary.

If we want to use real world biology as is in Pokémon, GF can very well introduce another Pokémon in the next gen that looks exactly like Diglett has the same type and stats, uses the same model with just the nose being slightly different shade of pink. The argument being that Diglett weren't found in the region so this unrelated species evolved to fulfill the same role as it. Biologically that is plausible and makes complete sense but that does not make it a good idea for a Pokémon game.

Last edited:

Pudimon

Certified Pudding Monster
The whole wiglett/convergent species is a very tiring discussion, but it keeps the forum lively so it's not that bad I guess.

I really don't think GF took real life biology into account when they made wiglett. Maybe they just decided it wouldn't be a regional variant because the mole x eel point someone made a few pages ago. Anyhow, we are not losing any space a >totally< new pokémon would be occupying, we get so few regional variants this time around because there are other types of design recycling going on in this gen, which I ultimately think it's fine.

I do get why people don't like this kind of thing tho, so the complaints about it not really being a new pokémon shouldn't be brushed off by "oh, but in BIOLOGY...". The problem for those people is not that it doesn't make sense, it's just they find the idea boring.

Dragon Pulse

People are allowed to share their disappointment of course since this is a forum and all, but I find it funny considering how many people complained we didn't get much news for a while, and now we've had some concrete news for the past month and I still see people complaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.