• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rumors & Leaks - Speculation/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orphalesion

Wiglett/Wugtrio are surprisingly ok.
But it's a variation of Diglett's design. And Diglett and Dugtrio are my least favourite Pokemon, so I'm not using Wiglett
Tatsugiri + Dondozo is pretty good, Dondozo seems to be gaining some popularity by itself. Tatsugiri kinda needs Dondozo because of the gimmick.
Yeah it's really unfortunate with those two, because I'm not gonna have both of them on my team
Veluza is really good from what I have heard from a handful of people.
I might consider it. It's a bit ugly though.

I think Water Tauros seems interesting especially if you use Water Terra on it. Having Close Combat and Wave Crash, which is now water Flare Blitz sounds awesome. So I'm leaning towards using it especially since I have barely used Tauros while playing Pokemon. But from what i gather it was one of the best Pokemon from gen 1 but it had a steep decline since than. But also it has Intimidate
Oooh I forgot the Water Tauros! That actually might end up being my choice of water type this gen.
Thanks for reminding me! I have never used Tauros either, so it's a nice idea to use the Aqua Form of the Paldean Variant.

Xanhawk

I wish I could weigh in more on performance, but I won't get my games until tomorrow and won't be able to actually play them until like 25ish hours from this specific post cause I have stupid long work shifts and can't pick my copy up tonight like I originally wanted.

What I have seen from friends who got the game and random check ins here and there seem contrary to what I see reported on twitter or by various youtube videos. Friends have been streaming through Discord and I asked if there were any serious performance issues, none have said anything of note. One said there was a minor freak out because the game and camera couldn't decide if he was on water or on land because he initiated a fight really close to the water.

falconlord

No, most open world games don't render the entire world at the same time. Mostly because, as they learned from MMOs, that's a good way to kill your game with lag (MMOs being one of the earliest experiments in true, 3D open world design.)

Though it wouldn't surprise me if GameFreak thought that they had figured out how to do it, this time. Many open world devs do try to render the whole world at once, at least once in their time. Then they tend to backtrack because it's a bad idea.

Copley Hill Gym

I watched portions of a livestream last week and the framerate would definitely become abysmal in some points, but it seems to be mostly a problem at the school and big cities. It is still absurd they greenlit this, but I seems is something you won't have to deal with when you are on the field exploring (which should be most of the gameplay).

Still, funny to think that we know about this problem and how bad it was for one month already, when the early reviewers mentioned how terrible the performance was, and yet the very fanbase tried to shut the complaints by making up a completely baseless excuse of "they didn't got the final version, it was an old build of the game". The Nintendo Life reviewer dedicated a huge portion of his video to detail the performance problems, but instead of making a big deal of it, we made up a complete lie to cover it.
When the consumer base tries to shut its own complaints, it's no surprise GF doesn't have to worry about poorly finished product - they won't even have to make excuses for themselves, just trust the fanbase to make those for them.

It feels to me reading that review and the others I’ve seen today, is that there is a definite issue of performance, but it’ll depend on:

1. Is the switch a first gen model
  2. Is it being played in dock mode or not
  3. Is it at the start of a battle
  4. Is it during anything within the academy
I highly doubt the performance issues will override the other qualities of the game.

I think we all need to be realistic about one thing though. Generations 8 and 9 are the most experimental gens we have had in so many different ways.

S/V are enabling us to go forward into generation 10 expecting another open world game. That’s the reality here.

S/V are out now and GF/TPC are very likely to be already working on Gen 10.

Don’t be discouraged by S/V not being perfect in its performances: be encouraged by the opportunities for the future S/V and PLA have opened up for the franchise.

falconlord

I wish I could weigh in more on performance, but I won't get my games until tomorrow and won't be able to actually play them until like 25ish hours from this specific post cause I have stupid long work shifts and can't pick my copy up tonight like I originally wanted.

What I have seen from friends who got the game and random check ins here and there seem contrary to what I see reported on twitter or by various youtube videos. Friends have been streaming through Discord and I asked if there were any serious performance issues, none have said anything of note. One said there was a minor freak out because the game and camera couldn't decide if he was on water or on land because he initiated a fight really close to the water.
I want to be shocked by camera issues, but I'm not.

Camera screw is, alas, a seemingly permanent fixture of 3D gaming. Certainly, it isn't GameFreak who is going to fix it.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
I don’t think dozens of reviews would mention poor performance if it weren’t a noticeable factor that impacts enjoyment of the games, but I guess we’ll all see soon!

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
I'm having trouble deciding between Fuecoco and Quaxly. I like both of their final evolutions about the same so that didn't shift my feelings either way, there are both Fire (Amarouge) and Water (Parafin) options that I want to use so either way I'd miss out on a Pokemon I want for my team, and performance-wise I feel in game both would be fine options to start with.

I may just have to do a coin flip or something.

falconlord

I have watched a dozen livestreams now, and all I want to do is scream: 'NO! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?'

Watching other people play is a killer. Watching other people play badly is beyond soul-crushing.

treatyofversigh

I like it, but the problem is in Sword and Shield I never managed to get the online features working. If this continues in Scarlet and Violet, I won't be able to evolve it.
I can't remember where I read it so I can't verify it 100%, but I saw that you should be able to get Palafin in Tera Raids. Idk how likely the chances are for that, exactly, but that's an option, if you can't evolve Finizen!

Copley Hill Gym

I don’t think dozens of reviews would mention poor performance if it weren’t a noticeable factor that impacts enjoyment of the games, but I guess we’ll all see soon!

I think the "no smoke without fire" adage isn't that simple for video games though: camera issues have been known for decades across so many different genres of video games.

I do think that everyone has their own red lines. For me, if the camera is closer to PLA and better than SW/SH, I think I'll be happy. My biggest concern is the story/immersion/design factors. So far, there is much to enjoy from the leaks I have seen, but the proof of the pudding...etc.

I'm only nine hours away now from picking up my copy. The excitement is intense, despite the noted issues elsewhere.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
Other than that, I'm seeing claims that it is being caused because the game is rendering the ENTIRE region at all times. Which is kinda bad if true.
I’m sorry, but those claims are BS. The Tegra X1/X1+ doesn’t have enough memory to constantly render the entire region. That would be a challenge for a machine with a newer GPU with more horsepower and memory.

Looks like Best Buy shipped my double pack. I just got the notice from UPS that it will be delivered tomorrow.

Lorphiiforme

Manta ray enthusiast
The evolutions artwork always get leaked in some sketchy but actually trustable magazine. Also, what would you guys say is the hardest gym leader?

Last edited:

Dared3v0

Just have fun
It should be noted that per last time I checked, the positive to mixed ratio of Pokemon reviews on Metacritic is 7 to 3 (75 is the lowest "positive" score on MC), which isn't terrible. The performance is definitely the weakest link here, but many have stated the games ambition was good. There is also a less than zero percent probability that we get another stability patch somewhere down the line.
Why don't you think they will put out another patch for performance issues

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Tatsugiri + Dondozo is pretty good, Dondozo seems to be gaining some popularity by itself. Tatsugiri kinda needs Dondozo because of the gimmick.
I’m actually more excited to use Tatsugiri by itself than I am with Dondozo. Its stats are surprisingly impressive & it has Storm Drain for a Hidden Ability, plus all three of the designs look great

Autobot N

I'm having trouble deciding between Fuecoco and Quaxly. I like both of their final evolutions about the same so that didn't shift my feelings either way, there are both Fire (Amarouge) and Water (Parafin) options that I want to use so either way I'd miss out on a Pokemon I want for my team, and performance-wise I feel in game both would be fine options to start with.

I may just have to do a coin flip or something.
Fuecoco

BCVM22

I had the same dilemma - Quaxly + Fire-type or Fuecoco + Water-type, and it came down to the same second Pokémon in both cases as well.

Ultimately, I like Armarouge's base stats and learnset more than I do Palafin (Armarouge has BIG Special Attack and gives you STAB on Fire and Psychic, and then learns all of the useful Ball/Pulse/Cannon attacks), and with the added bonus that Armarouge can do its good work without having to jump through the hoop (sorry if that's dolphinist) of going through the form change.

falconlord

This is why I don't watch livestreams anymore. Most Livestreamers are fricking annoying. Outside of a very VERY few people that actually know what they're doing.
When it comes to Paradox Interactive games or Total War games, I do find some YouTubers helpful, even necessary at times.

But when it comes to games I know well, like the Pokémon series, it's just... gah, aggravating. Especially to see them make amateur mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.