• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Scarlet & Pokemon Violet - General Discussion/Speculation Thread

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
If I wanted to go to classes I would go back in time and be a teenager

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Like I said before the forum rollback, I think the SV reveal tomorrow at Worlds is just going to be a new Pokemon. Reveals of that nature tend to be relatively small and usually just 1 Pokemon. So I wouldn't expect much from it. But I am intrigued by what Pokemon they're going to show. I haven't been terribly impressed by most of the Pokemon they've revealed this gen, they've mostly been of the "kawaii chibi" variety, the smol, cute, presumably early game stuff. I usually don't like those kinds of Pokemon. I usually like the ones that look more cool, strong, or quirky, and they haven't revealed much of that yet (pretty much just Cetitan and the box legendaries). I'm hoping to see a Pokemon more of that category, the roster so far doesn't seem to have much variety in that regard and I'd like to see a little more of that. Luckily, since its Worlds and the audience is going to be more competitive minded, there's a good chance of that happening.

As for the school discussion, I wouldn't mind an optional mechanic that's like Earl's Pokemon Academy in Stadium 2. That was actually really fun and helps you learn a bunch of more in depth strategies (the battles focused around the Endure + Reversal combo and using set damage moves to circumvent stat buffs in particular stick out in my memory). Bringing that back could really help newer players I think.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Like I said before the forum rollback, I think the SV reveal tomorrow at Worlds is just going to be a new Pokemon. Reveals of that nature tend to be relatively small and usually just 1 Pokemon. So I wouldn't expect much from it. But I am intrigued by what Pokemon they're going to show. I haven't been terribly impressed by most of the Pokemon they've revealed this gen, they've mostly been of the "kawaii chibi" variety, the smol, cute, presumably early game stuff. I usually don't like those kinds of Pokemon. I usually like the ones that look more cool, strong, or quirky, and they haven't revealed much of that yet (pretty much just Cetitan and the box legendaries). I'm hoping to see a Pokemon more of that category, the roster so far doesn't seem to have much variety in that regard and I'd like to see a little more of that. Luckily, since its Worlds and the audience is going to be more competitive minded, there's a good chance of that happening.

As for the school discussion, I wouldn't mind an optional mechanic that's like Earl's Pokemon Academy in Stadium 2. That was actually really fun and helps you learn a bunch of more in depth strategies (the battles focused around the Endure + Reversal combo and using set damage moves to circumvent stat buffs in particular stick out in my memory). Bringing that back could really help newer players I think.
I agree
It’s either one new Pokemon or one gen 1-5 Pokemon form

Ultra Beast Lover

Classes probably won't be anything like our real world classes. I think it'll be more like Harry Potter or what we've seen of schools in other Pokemon games. We'll probably just learn about battle mechanics, trainer tips, things of that nature. Just an optional side thing that'll give us items that give you an edge in battle, maybe something you can do if you want a break or you're stuck on something.

I didn't exactly like school either but the mere look at the interior makes me want to explore and try out all it has to offer. They put so much effort into designing the school, it makes me curious.

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
Never was a competitive player and never watched matches. But since people were talking about this Word championship I went to watch it and I have to admit I have a newfound respect for Dynamax as a battle mechanic. Used by people who actually know how to play, it is actually pretty interesting.

Still think Gigantamax was terrible and it needed some clear advantage to set it apart, though.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Never was a competitive player and never watched matches. But since people were talking about this Word championship I went to watch it and I have to admit I have a newfound respect for Dynamax as a battle mechanic. Used by people who actually know how to play, it is actually pretty interesting.

Still think Gigantamax was terrible and it needed some clear advantage to set it apart, though.
Dynamaxing is actually my favorite gimmick to date since it adds a new level to strategy like the added effects and figuring out the best way to use it. I remember how I won a match by dynamaxing my Pyukumuku so it could survive a Toxic Stalled opponent

Ultra Beast Lover

Don't expect too much from the reveal. At most they might reveal a couple new Pokemon, maybe a Gym puzzle, a new Gym Leader. Or they might just go more in depth with the Terrastle energy.

Of course, this generation has not had a conventional news cycle so who knows.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I was kind of hoping they’d show off more new pokémon but the new items, abilities, & moves will definitely shake up the metagame

Julia Artemis

Breloom, my favorite pokemon ever is going to be so busted. Also Coalssal is coming back in a big way. If we had World's 2020 it would have been a world champion. It has a big chance in 2023

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
So, it seems we do now have the "present" version (Cyclizar) to Koraidon(past) and Miradon (future)?
Pretty much, yes. The Normal/Dragon type combo is also no longer exclusive to Drampa. It's the second unique type combo to lose that status this gen, after the Normal/Grass type combo.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Cyclizar looks... okay. Definitely a step in the right direction, but I'm still not very impressed with it. I've never felt so underwhelmed about an entire slate of new Pokemon at this point in the pre-release. I hope they have something more interesting that they haven't revealed yet, because otherwise this may be the worst crop of new Pokemon I've ever seen.