• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rumors & Leaks - Speculation/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowForce720

I think we still have one or two more event Pokémon, those being the new Mythicals, that will be released after the DLC launches. Terapagos and the smaller version and Ogerpon and the other three Pokémon for Teal Mask seem more like new Legendaries similar to Kubfu/Urshifu and Calyrex and its Steeds. There is no Pokémon for Gen 9 that screams Mythical right now.
To be fair we might not even get any new mythical Pokémon for gen 9 as it feels like your there drifting away from the idea of mythical Pokémon. Plus it feels like the vast majority of mythical Pokémon exist just to be tied to and sale Pokémon movies.

I mean heck most if not all mythical Pokémon could just be legendary Pokémon with seemingly the only difference being that mythical Pokémon are usually locked behind an event.

Red and Blue

So Khu just tweeted the number "19". Maybe Terapagos really does have a new typing. Or it could be referring to the amount of hours before an announcement.

Luthor

To be fair we might not even get any new mythical Pokémon for gen 9 as it feels like your there drifting away from the idea of mythical Pokémon. Plus it feels like the vast majority of mythical Pokémon exist just to be tied to and sale Pokémon movies.

I mean heck most if not all mythical Pokémon could just be legendary Pokémon with seemingly the only difference being that mythical Pokémon are usually locked behind an event.

While that is certainly possible its also possible they are just waiting to reveal it with one of the dlc. They did that with Zarude. Personally I'd be ok with it if they release as an online event rather than an in-person even as that's often slightly more practical (though I will admit last time there were even issues with that). If they got rid of it or just replaced it with the raid battles (like they did with Walking Wake/Iron Leaves) that would also work for me.

So Khu just tweeted the number "19". Maybe Terapagos really does have a new typing. Or it could be referring to the amount of hours before an announcement.

Could also be the number of days until an announcement or its a number of new forms in DLC or it means they will do something special with Pokemon 19 (though probably not on that last one given its Rattata). Without context its hard to say.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I don't think we will hear a lot while it's Golden Week in Japan.

This is a bit of a personal opinion of mine, but I kind of think that we might get the 7-star raids for the last 3 starters available before Home comes out. Home may drive some interest away from them (though I'm sure some like me would still do them).
There is also the Global Challenge 2023 series, which has the current VGC rules. I think they want to save HOME compatibility until after this series ends (at minimum the third weekend of May 2023, which is when the 4th one, representing the Master Ball, takes place), since it'll allow in a bunch of new Pokémon, which will throw off consistency between the available Pokémon and the allowed Pokémon.

That being said, I mentioned it elsewhere, but assuming they're all on consecutive weekends, the last "Unrivaled" fully-evolved starter raids will take place on the third weekend of June 2023 (which ends June 18th). It is possible it'll be pushed later if they decide to have a series based on Hisuian regional forms and Hisui-introduced species, but I don't see HOME compatibility made earlier than late May 2023.

While that is certainly possible its also possible they are just waiting to reveal it with one of the dlc. They did that with Zarude. Personally I'd be ok with it if they release as an online event rather than an in-person even as that's often slightly more practical (though I will admit last time there were even issues with that). If they got rid of it or just replaced it with the raid battles (like they did with Walking Wake/Iron Leaves) that would also work for me.
I think there will still be Mythical Pokémon. Plenty of hype exists for them, and there are still events held for pre-existing Mythical Pokémon.

The fact that some Mythical Pokémon were coded into Scarlet and Violet while others weren't suggests to me that there are Mythical Pokémon events planned.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
That being said, I mentioned it elsewhere, but assuming they're all on consecutive weekends, the last "Unrivaled" fully-evolved starter raids will take place on the third weekend of June 2023 (which ends June 18th). It is possible it'll be pushed later if they decide to have a series based on Hisuian regional forms and Hisui-introduced species, but I don't see HOME compatibility made earlier than late May 2023.
That's kind of what I've been thinking, though on the second part, I don't think they would delay it much longer.
It's definitely possible that they are trying to get all the 7-star starter raids over with before they introduce Bank.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
Centro is reporting it'll release soon (shocker)
-Will allow you to transfer Pokemon that are found in SV from past games.
-Will allow you to transfer Pokemon from SV into Home and Gen 8 games as long as they are found in those games.
-Move resets ae still a thing.
-Connecting Home to SV will give you a promotional Fuecoco, Sprigatito and Quaxly.
-Walking Wake and Iron Leaves get dex slots but the pokedex info states both are still being investigated.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
^The only two things on that list that I couldn't just predict myself are the backwards capability and the IL and WW having pending dex entries.

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
This is one thing they did that I really don’t like. Some of my battling/competitive Pokémon have moves from previous generations and I would prefer for them to know the moves. For instance I have a Chansey with Toxic but I also have some harder to obtain ones like Clefable knowing Soft-Boiled (Emerald & FRLG tutor) and Zapdos knowing both Twister (Pt & HGSS tutor) and Extrasensory (XD exclusive move). I’ve been enjoying making some unique movesets (whether they are viable is a different story) that require transfer and it looks like those days may be over for me.

To expand on transfer exclusives there’s Pokémon out there that know event exclusive moves such as Blast Burn / Hydro Cannon on Arceus or Lance’s Dragonite with Barrier or even the V-create Rayquaza (and more) that could potentially just be forced to live out eternity in their boxes never to see an actual game again due to fearing their moves will be forever lost.

Copley Hill Gym

-Will allow you to transfer Pokemon from SV into Home and Gen 8 games as long as they are found in those games.
-Connecting Home to SV will give you a promotional Fuecoco, Sprigatito and Quaxly.
-Walking Wake and Iron Leaves get dex slots but the pokedex info states both are still being investigated.

The lack of a decent pokedex entry for WW and IL is really frustrating, speaking as a long time fan of the games. I want to know more! Maybe this is pending as there is more to reveal...?

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
This is one thing they did that I really don’t like. Some of my battling/competitive Pokémon have moves from previous generations and I would prefer for them to know the moves. For instance I have a Chansey with Toxic but I also have some harder to obtain ones like Clefable knowing Soft-Boiled (Emerald & FRLG tutor) and Zapdos knowing both Twister (Pt & HGSS tutor) and Extrasensory (XD exclusive move). I’ve been enjoying making some unique movesets (whether they are viable is a different story) that require transfer and it looks like those days may be over for me.
I think that's the very point of the move resets. It serves two purposes: to rebalance the game with each generation, and to prevent someone who's been playing longer to get an edge. Your example of Toxic, for instance, is part of the intent of the former: it really WAS a move whose usage was getting out of control, and to curb it, they severely restricted who is allowed to use it in Generation VIII. (Consider it a nerf.) Same goes for Tailwind. For the latter, it's also the same reason Mythical Pokémon are banned in all Ranked modes, and nearly all Online Competitions: so everyone is on the same playing field within a generation, and so you can't just get an advantage by being at the right place at the right time.

One Pokémon that would be a MAJOR problem without a move reset is Machamp. If you could transfer a Machamp forward indefinitely and keep its moves, you could get one with No Guard that knows Fissure, obtained from Pokémon Red and Blue on the Wii U's Virtual Console. A Pokémon with a one-hit KO move whose Ability boosts it to 100% accuracy would be troublesome in every way. Currently, Umbreon is seeing high usage in Scarlet and Violet Ranked, in both single and double battles; we don't need it to be out of control by allowing it to have Toxic. A likely future example will be Flutter Mane, as it's a Pokémon that needs nerfing, but its stats and type combination can't be adjusted--an easier way to nerf it in the future is to reduce the moves it can know. (Or nerf Protosynthesis, but that might bring down the less-used ones too like Sandy Shocks and Slither Wing.)

Copley Hill Gym

Oh come on...Umbreon with Toxic a problem? I use Umbreon competitively and can vouch for the fact that though it's a bit of a wall, everyone has counters for it in some way that completely outspeed it and most users have a way of getting round the poison issues these days.

If anything, there needs to be a review of foul play - that is an insanely good move on Umbreon. It's won me battles that I was not expecting to win at all.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
The one thing I don't like about the move wipe is if you had a Pokemon that gained an evolution past Sword/Shield, then you can't keep the exclusive moves to the new Pokemon. For example, Kleavor with Morning Sun would have been possible if it didn't exist.

That being said, even without the rumor, I think a lot of it deals with future proofing Pokemon so that they can be more compatible. We've already seen this with BDSP to Sword/Shield and Legends Arceus to both. I do wonder how ribbons are dealt with, but Legends Arceus already had a coded ribbon that acts invisible in BDSP, which can count towards the 10 ribbons needed for the ribbon syndicate.

bruhidk

LARRY SUPREMACY
I wonder if it's possible to transfer a pokemon from SV to BDSP, get all the ribbons in that game, and then transfer it back, will it still have all the ribbons?

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I wonder if it's possible to transfer a pokemon from SV to BDSP, get all the ribbons in that game, and then transfer it back, will it still have all the ribbons?
I'm going to guess that the ribbons in future titles will be held as "dummy data" in past titles where they aren't interpreted in those games.
But to more answer the questions, my guess is on yes because I don't think a ribbon wipe would be necessary from the above statement.

Edit: Apparently, the Twinkling Star Ribbon in BDSP, while it isn't visible in Sword/Shield, will still be retained in BDSP once the Pokemon migrates back in. This makes sense as ribbons (and marks) seem to be dictated by intergers, as in, a single number indicates that ribbon.

Last edited:

Trey pokes

Really wan to know wakes and leaves entries are like.

Copley Hill Gym

So, potential spoilers for the anime and the game's dlc follow...

I have treated myself to both of the S/V art books. In the book there is a shot of the inside of the tera orb. This artwork clearly shows a crystal that is identical to Liko's pendant inside the tera orb.

Knowing this, and that Ray's "ancient poke-ball" reacted with Liko's pendant in the anime means only one thing.

Ray's ancient Pokeball is in fact a an ancient tera-orb, and Liko's pendant should be fitted inside it to allow a Pokemon to teratalise.

It will end up as being the earliest example of a tera orb, I believe.

The link to terapagos - it's an orb that comes from the shell of a terapagos or terapagos young in some form, perhaps freely given? Or in a seriously dark twist, harvested...!

I note SoulSilver on twitter has already put forward a similar theory, I think they're right tbh!

How does this link to the DLC? I think we get to know more from the Terapgos link.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Oh come on...Umbreon with Toxic a problem? I use Umbreon competitively and can vouch for the fact that though it's a bit of a wall, everyone has counters for it in some way that completely outspeed it and most users have a way of getting round the poison issues these days.

If anything, there needs to be a review of foul play - that is an insanely good move on Umbreon. It's won me battles that I was not expecting to win at all.
I think Umbreon should have kept Toxic only because of how some Dex entries have mentioned it as being able to secrete a poisonous substance from its skin and also a callback to how it originally was going to be the Poison type.

Copley Hill Gym

I think Umbreon should have kept Toxic only because of how some Dex entries have mentioned it as being able to secrete a poisonous substance from its skin and also a callback to how it originally was going to be the Poison type.

It's irritated me for years that they removed the poison connection for Umbreon. I lived through Gen II dammit, I want my Toxic/confuse ray/faint attack/moonlight Umbreon back XD

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
It's irritated me for years that they removed the poison connection for Umbreon. I lived through Gen II dammit, I want my Toxic/confuse ray/faint attack/moonlight Umbreon back XD
Yeah. It’s one of the most interesting facts about Umbreon and how the Dark type almost didn’t happen at all. Umbreon becoming Dark type only happened because GF needed at least one more of the typing to help the new typing be useable.

Status
Not open for further replies.