• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rumors & Leaks - Speculation/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
Khu has now entered the chat and seems to have confirmed Centro's input.

Khu laments if distribution moves even matter then? As well as stating that Pokemon now belongs to the new fans but says there's good news, that there is something special happening about the move situation.

He also seperately posted a picture that has Pikachu next to its XXL size variant in Pokemon Picnic, in which Khu says "Can evovle after depositing" Which many have guessed that it means G-Max Pikachu can evolve now.

He's also posted this image.

Fvd29qaaAAAVcYW

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Khu has now entered the chat and seems to have confirmed Centro's input.

Khu laments if distribution moves even matter then? As well as stating that Pokemon now belongs to the new fans but says there's good news, that there is something special happening about the move situation.

He also seperately posted a picture that has Pikachu next to its XXL size variant in Pokemon Picnic, in which Khu says "Can evovle after depositing" Which many have guessed that it means G-Max Pikachu can evolve now.

He's also posted this image.

Fvd29qaaAAAVcYW
Looks like Dynamax is being added in the DLC (meaning that Blueberry Academy is actually in Galar) and they're possibly adding a G-Max Raichu to the game.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
Looks like Dynamax is being added in the DLC (meaning that Blueberry Academy is actually in Galar) and they're possibly adding a G-Max Raichu to the game.
That's not confirmed

If anything G-Max Pikachu, Eevee and Meowth can evolve normally now if transferred

or

This goes back to Khu's old rumour of generating your own customized Pokemon which I still don't fully understand.

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
I think that's the very point of the move resets. It serves two purposes: to rebalance the game with each generation, and to prevent someone who's been playing longer to get an edge.
I’m not advocating to use them in a ranked setting as those should definitely be “only what you get this generation”. But if I’m having a fun battle with my friends then I should be able to spam them with a Toxapex using Scald. There is no reason why someone who enjoyed the older games and transferred things throughout the years should not be able to enjoy those benefits.

Copley Hill Gym

This goes back to Khu's old rumour of generating your own customized Pokemon which I still don't fully understand.

The PK Hex thing to me feels obvious.

There will be some sort of tool in the Blueberry Academy that will allow you to modify the EV sets, natures and IVs on your Pokemon for competitive battling.

The academy is a battling academy. There's an emphasis on customisation. This will allow a greater degree of control over how your Pokemon are perfected for battling, e.g. making each individual Pokemon you've caught able to maximise either its potential damage or taking advantage of certain things (e.g. foul play Umbreon by reducing the base attack stat to 0 to maximise the damage of foul play).

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
The PK Hex thing to me feels obvious.

There will be some sort of tool in the Blueberry Academy that will allow you to modify the EV sets, natures and IVs on your Pokemon for competitive battling.

The academy is a battling academy. There's an emphasis on customisation. This will allow a greater degree of control over how your Pokemon are perfected for battling, e.g. making each individual Pokemon you've caught able to maximise either its potential damage or taking advantage of certain things (e.g. foul play Umbreon by reducing the base attack stat to 0 to maximise the damage of foul play).
Only thing for EVs is more easily to erase EVs or to get more complex spreads aside from two stats with maxed EVs. For IVs it would be cases where 0 IVs is desirable (Trick Room Pokemon and special attackers), altering natures and maxing IVs is now more accessible that you can buy the needed items (rather than it tied to a battle facility related currency) and the required for Hyper Training lowered to Level 50.

Transfer-only moves give players who have stuck with the series the same advantages as transfer-only Pokémon, if not less. And while I agree that this might be regarded as unfair I also feel like there isn't anything wrong with rewarding players for sticking with the series for a long time (as far as having to trade for something can be considered unfair). Banning moves that you cannot obtain within a game from competitive formats while still letting you use them in single-player would probably have been my preferred approach.
I also feel like it is worth pointing out that there are still plenty of time-sensitive elements in the games. A lot of the Switch games gave you event legendaries only if you had save files from previous games on the Switch. The same can be said for things like Tera Raids, if you miss out on a timed event with an exclusive move or Pokémon before you bought the game you will be at a disadvantage.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I’m not advocating to use them in a ranked setting as those should definitely be “only what you get this generation”. But if I’m having a fun battle with my friends then I should be able to spam them with a Toxapex using Scald. There is no reason why someone who enjoyed the older games and transferred things throughout the years should not be able to enjoy those benefits.
The problem lies in how the game is going to tell them apart. It can't read your mind on what you intend to do with those Pokémon. The other alternative is to allow only Pokémon that you've caught within that generation to battle in Ranked and in Online Competitions, which is less fair.

Transfer-only moves give players who have stuck with the series the same advantages as transfer-only Pokémon, if not less. And while I agree that this might be regarded as unfair I also feel like there isn't anything wrong with rewarding players for sticking with the series for a long time (as far as having to trade for something can be considered unfair). Banning moves that you cannot obtain within a game from competitive formats while still letting you use them in single-player would probably have been my preferred approach.
I also feel like it is worth pointing out that there are still plenty of time-sensitive elements in the games. A lot of the Switch games gave you event legendaries only if you had save files from previous games on the Switch. The same can be said for things like Tera Raids, if you miss out on a timed event with an exclusive move or Pokémon before you bought the game you will be at a disadvantage.
That was how Sword and Shield did it: it allowed your moves in, with an NPC resetting the moves and giving the Pokémon a little icon indicating it's eligible for competitive play. I see no reason why Scarlet and Violet couldn't work the same way; it should be pretty easy to update the game to have an NPC that does the same thing.

That being said, I have been playing since Generation I, and I would say that I don't want to have any edge over the people who only started playing with Scarlet and Violet. I'm not against rewarding longtime fans, but I'd hope they'll be ones that don't give any sort of practical advantage, like shiny Pokémon or something.

The save file bonus Pokémon in Generation VIII are all Mythical Pokémon (I can recall Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Shaymin, and Darkrai), none of whom were available to use in Sword and Shield's Ranked except in its very last season (which began 2 months prior to Scarlet and Violet's release and was basically them going "We're done--do whatever you want, bring whatever you want, we don't care anymore") and in one single Online Competition, "Battle of Legends," which had only a participation award and also allowed all Legendary Pokémon in. And of those, I think only Mew was actually allowed at all. So far, all of the Pokémon exclusive to Tera Raid Battles are also banned in Ranked (and neither is Hisuian Zoroark). That being said, all of them are also breedable, and them being starters, turn up pretty often in Surprise Trades (particularly the most popular ones in Charmander, Scorbunny, and Froakie).

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
Khu has talked about the “Move Tailor”, which seems to be a feature of the DLC that will allow somehow to customize Pokémon moves (for example teach again old event moves), though Pokémon customized with this won’t be elegible for ranked battles.

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
The problem lies in how the game is going to tell them apart. It can't read your mind on what you intend to do with those Pokémon. The other alternative is to allow only Pokémon that you've caught within that generation to battle in Ranked and in Online Competitions, which is less fair.

That was how Sword and Shield did it: it allowed your moves in, with an NPC resetting the moves and giving the Pokémon a little icon indicating it's eligible for competitive play. I see no reason why Scarlet and Violet couldn't work the same way; it should be pretty easy to update the game to have an NPC that does the same thing.

There needs to be a middle ground somewhere. The games recognize the origin mark of a Pokémon and that can really be what is used to determine if it can be used in ranked or not. The “Battle Ready” symbol you mentioned really was a great solution as it allowed us to choose if we wanted to use previous generation Pokémon in a tanker battle setting. This sort of thing made me find a new Weavile in SwSh for ranked battles since I made a choice in not having the one I caught in HGSS forget Knock Off. Being able to make that decision, at least to me, is a better decision than to force it to stay in Pokémon Home forever.

Khu has talked about the “Move Tailor”, which seems to be a feature of the DLC that will allow somehow to customize Pokémon moves (for example teach again old event moves), though Pokémon customized with this won’t be elegible for ranked battles.
If, and I mean if, that sort of thing exists than it should be so that Pokémon are able to be taught any move that it could have learned in any previous generation whether it be from an event or game exclusive (i.e. Extrasensory on Zapdos from Pokémon XD, V-create for Rayquaza from movie event, not allowing Signal Beam on Raichu due to move removal). Though I do like that these would not be allowed on ranked since they would be too highly customized per person.

bruhidk

LARRY SUPREMACY
No Guard Fissure Machamp lol

bruhidk

LARRY SUPREMACY
I wouldn't call a 6/10 **** more like mid
I doubt that's the PkHex thing he was talking about then

Luthor

So do you think would that mean for example you could teach a Bulbasaur Frenzy plant which it had in a gen 5 event(which was only available for specific players in certain areas) or only event moves anyone could get?

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
So do you think would that mean for example you could teach a Bulbasaur Frenzy plant which it had in a gen 5 event(which was only available for specific players in certain areas) or only event moves anyone could get?
That's the implication, that some how it will resolve the "this move is not in the game please delete it" thing.

Copley Hill Gym

Or maybe it's something like a rental team generator? The whole thing is being debated to death on twitter/etc and it's intriguing to see what everyone thinks it is.

I can't imagine a battle academy is going to be anything less than a series of tournaments within the academy and ways of improving your Pokémon to battle more proficiently. I reckon we are looking at something akin to Pokémon Stadium but in Pokémon Scarlet/Violet.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Or maybe it's something like a rental team generator? The whole thing is being debated to death on twitter/etc and it's intriguing to see what everyone thinks it is.

I can't imagine a battle academy is going to be anything less than a series of tournaments within the academy and ways of improving your Pokémon to battle more proficiently. I reckon we are looking at something akin to Pokémon Stadium but in Pokémon Scarlet/Violet.
Maybe something closer to Pokémon Battle Revolution, as that game has its own set of characters, challenges of various sorts, and some nice looking arenas that the main series, frankly, hasn't really been able to replicate in feel since. (But I think I'm just kind of annoyed that where the March update added in the battle court in Mesagoza's central plaza for PvP, the April update didn't add in anything.)

Of course, if that's the case, then it'd be more like a Battle Frontier, since functionally, there isn't much difference between Pokémon Battle Revolution and a Battle Frontier besides rental passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.