• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rumors & Leaks - Speculation/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
The reason why a lot of people are obsessed with the idea of type changing is because the first trailer prominently featured a plaza area with icons of all 18 types on the ground. That's basically it.
No.... a creditable leaker suggested the gimmick will deal with this too..

Orphalesion

So in this way it wouldn’t be broken because the Pokémon is only adding or switch to one specific type rather then just being able to switch between every single type.
But then it sounds like a gimmick only certain Pokemon would profit from, which is not good in my opinion.
And it sounds redundant, since Regional Forms exist for giving Pokemon alternate types.

PokeMon2.0

Cramorant is too cute for words!
I believe it will be something to do with types for sure but it feels like something that'll be useful but also have a harsh penalty like losing a turn or moving last or that you lose a certain amount of HP or PP per move. Think we will get news this week or next.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
But then it sounds like a gimmick only certain Pokemon would profit from, which is not good in my opinion.
And it sounds redundant, since Regional Forms exist for giving Pokemon alternate types.
Yeah. That is redundant. And I don't think that GF likes making gimmicks that only certain Pokemon profit from, as they've been obsessed with making sure that any Pokemon can reap the benefits of the gimmicks like with Z-Moves and Dynamax.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Yeah. That is redundant. And I don't think that GF likes making gimmicks that only certain Pokemon profit from, as they've been obsessed with making sure that any Pokemon can reap the benefits of the gimmicks like with Z-Moves and Dynamax.

Gigantamax contradicts that thesis. Clearly Game Freak likes giving some pokemon a greater profit.

Whatever it is, it'll likely follow the same path as Z-Moves and Dynamax: All pokemon can use it, but some pokemon have more options.

I think we can expect Pikachu, Eevee and Charizard to have extras of whatever it is we're getting. Likely Mewtwo, Meowth and Lucario as well.

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
The discussion made me realize a very simple way to breathe new life into existing pokémon without the need of gimmicks or variants or special forms is simply to allow pokémon to have a "third" type.
To be clear, it would simply allow you to chose what the secondary type of a pokémon would be for species that fit into 3 different types. For example, you could freely (outside battle) switch a Charizard type between Fire/Flying and Fire/Dragon.

Similar to what ShadowForce720 proposed, but it wouldn't be a gimmick, but a permanent feature like Abilities are. Obviously it wouldn't be for every species, just for those that could already fit into 3 different types.

Nave

The discussion made me realize a very simple way to breathe new life into existing pokémon without the need of gimmicks or variants or special forms is simply to allow pokémon to have a "third" type.
To be clear, it would simply allow you to chose what the secondary type of a pokémon would be for species that fit into 3 different types. For example, you could freely (outside battle) switch a Charizard type between Fire/Flying and Fire/Dragon.

Similar to what ShadowForce720 proposed, but it wouldn't be a gimmick, but a permanent feature like Abilities are. Obviously it wouldn't be for every species, just for those that could already fit into 3 different types.
I personally hate that idea.

Noy

What if the gimmick is tower defense, and you send out 3 Pokémon to fight off hordes of enraged Pokémon; and your mons get something like a defense boost or bonus hp for have an advantageous position (so they can last long enough.)

What if this generation’s gimmick is that Mega-Evolution, Z-Moves, and Dynamax/Gigantimax are all available in this game?
the real question is, can the Pokémon community handle having that many nice things?

Noy

now that I think about it, various of gens introduced more than one "gimmick"/feature. for example, gen 3 introduced weather and contests, while gen 8 introduced wild areas, dynamax, raid dens / adventures, and gen 7 6 added megas and character customization. With that in mind, it wouldn't be surprising to get more than one "gimmick"; one for standard battles, and one for some other concept entirely.

Last edited:

ShadowForce720

now that I think about it, various of gens introduced more than one "gimmick"/feature. for example, gen 3 introduced weather and contests, while gen 8 introduced wild areas, dynamax, raid dens / adventures, and gen 7 added megas and character customization. With that in mind, it wouldn't be surprising to get more than one "gimmick"; one for standard battles, and one for some other concept entirely.
Just pointing this out but it was gen 6 that added megas and character customization.

Pudimon

Certified Pudding Monster
I've been thinking and maybe the "job change" thing the leaker suggested is not a pokémon thing but like a trainer thing

You can change your job like between Pokémon Breeder or Fire Breather, and that would give specific pokémon some kind of buff, like raising stats or the power of moves, unlocking hidden abilities, etc

It's highly unlikely they'd do something like that, but I think it'd be cool if done well

TRNRLogan

I've been thinking and maybe the "job change" thing the leaker suggested is not a pokémon thing but like a trainer thing

You can change your job like between Pokémon Breeder or Fire Breather, and that would give specific pokémon some kind of buff, like raising stats or the power of moves, unlocking hidden abilities, etc

It's highly unlikely they'd do something like that, but I think it'd be cool if done well
Certainly better than the pokemon getting it imo.

Noy

Yeah that would let them shake up the meta a bit, without having to integrate any of it directly into the Pokémon models/animations. so I can see that as a feasible feature/gimmick. it would also be fair if the trainer class was obvious at the start of the battle, so the other side could strategize against the buff/ability the class grants.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
This trainer "class system" makes a bit of sense considering how our main character is dressed in a generic school uniform. And the class is basically a "specialization" (major course of study in an academic institution).

I actually think it'll be interesting since many trainer classes are inclined to certain types/stats.

Perhaps going for an athletic class (such as blackbelt) generally boosts the attack/defense of your Pokemon. Or going for the academic class (such as researcher) boosts special attack/defense. Swimmer probably has stat bonus for water-type Pokemon, Miner for ground/rock, etc.

Who knows? It could work, and it's something new to Pokemon.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
the real question is, can the Pokémon community handle having that many nice things?
No. No they can’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.