• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rumors & Leaks - Speculation/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acer11

I want to point out that beta Gyarados was also distinctly worm-shaped, so they might have wanted to go for something similar. I agree that it was likely scrapped because it was too similar to Orthworm(or even turned into Orthworm, although that doesn't really align with the index numbers).
Beta Name: Skulkraken

Beta Name: Skulkraken
Skulkraken was the beta name for the English localization, which came after the games were released in Japan. It doesn't really have any connection to Gyarados' early design before the games were finished.

Kingudora

My favourite
I saw that discussion, theory goes Orthworm became what the convergent Gyarados line would be? I think it's due to the internal names referencing land / hills so we would've had a Ground type Gyarados as a counterpart to the Wiglett / Wugtrio line, plus Earth Eater (Orthworm's ability) being the second-to-last ability in the lists with Mycelium Might (the Toedscool line's ability) being the last one

I saw that discussion, think the theory is that it got replaced by Orthworm + the convergent Tentacruel line? The internal name for Toedscool references land / hills, so Gyarados would've been a Ground type to contrast the Wiglett line (who were Ground types that became Water types). Guess Orthworm fitted the position better so it got the Ground immunity ability and we got the Toedscool line instead - Mycelium Might was the last ability added to the lists so seems to fit.
I think Orthworm existed before Okagyarados got removed. Its internal name (MIMIZU; 'earthworm') is listed way before the paradox pokémon and the legendaries, so it had likely been designed early on in development. In my opinion, it was likely designed to be one of the Titan boss fights from the start, much like Klawf.

Toedscool and Toedscruel are among the last in the internal order of pokémon. All the pokémon from Tinkatink to Annihilape were likely designed well under way into development. Those ten pokémon were likely designed to round out the pokédex, like giving story characters signature pokémon etc. In the case of the land Magikarp / Gyarados, they were designed to be thematic counterparts to the Wiglett line.

So ultimately, I think they got reworked into the Toedscool line because the design of Okagyarados was deemed to similar to Orthworm, and may have made Orthworm seem redundant in the Paldea dex.

Julia Artemis

I don't know am I the only one that likes Toedscruel? I think it's fun idea and looks interesting. Though disappointed by Wugtrio. At least they should have flipped the attack and special attack stats to make it not just water Dugtrio. Sure Toeds has the same stats too but it's design and typing combo make it feel different enough

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
I don't know am I the only one that likes Toedscruel? I think it's fun idea and looks interesting. Though disappointed by Wugtrio. At least they should have flipped the attack and special attack stats to make it not just water Dugtrio. Sure Toeds has the same stats too but it's design and typing combo make it feel different enough
I personally think Wugtrio line and Toedscool are really good friends to have.

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
Personally prefer Toedscruel compared to Wugtrio. While it still resembles Tentacruel its design is a bit more different compared to its convergent counterpart, the Wugtrio line was a bit too much on the nose in conveying it to be a convergent evolution to Diglett/Dugtrio.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Not sure if I'll use it, but I certainly prefer Toedscruel. I've never been a fan of Dugtrio's design, and Wugtrio doesn't improve it.

Though the concept of a land Gyarados does sound cool enough that I hope it makes it to the DLC.

On another note, when did we last have a generation with so few officially revealed pokemon? Here we are a few days before release and only a few dozen of some one hundred new pokemon (including forms) have gotten official reveals. They definitely seem to be doing something different from the last few gens when it comes to their marketing strategy.

On another note, when did we last have a generation with so few officially revealed pokemon? Here we are a few days before release and only a few dozen of some one hundred new pokemon (including forms) have gotten official reveals. They definitely seem to be doing something different from the last few gens when it comes to their marketing strategy.
It's pretty consistent with SwSh, which had 22 reveals before launch day. SV is at 20.

Julia Artemis

Not sure if I'll use it, but I certainly prefer Toedscruel. I've never been a fan of Dugtrio's design, and Wugtrio doesn't improve it.

Though the concept of a land Gyarados does sound cool enough that I hope it makes it to the DLC.

I would like to see a Flying/Dragon Gyarados that's literally a flying serpent. Although I did like the idea of a super powerful Magikarp thought that was such a fun idea. Kind of like what they did with Jigglypuff and Delibird

Huh, I thought there was more.
Actually, I'm mistaken. The list I looked at only had new Pokémon. With forms, SwSh is way above that with a few regional variants and 11 Gigantamax forms being revealed beforehand. The actual number should be closer to 40.

SV has only 1 extra form revealed in Paldean Wooper, unless you want to count the Koraidon/Miraidon modes.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I think that the third legendary will be a Normal/Dragon type like Cyclizar, as a lot of Pokemon that can change their type are Normal-type, including Kecleon, Castform, and the Porygon line.

Status
Not open for further replies.