• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rumors & Leaks - Speculation/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vindicated30.6

Ace and Aspie, for life and light!
Yeah...but...

Any reply I could possibly write for that would be better off in the US Politics thread in off-topic.
Mother Nature is just as mean and nasty in Florida as in Australia. Doesn't HAVE to be political. May not have scorpions, but there's plenty of other creepy and crawly flora and fauna. One common joke is that, if you can't see to the bottom of any body of water, it's safe to assume alligators call it home.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
Mother Nature is just as mean and nasty in Florida as in Australia. Doesn't HAVE to be political. May not have scorpions, but there's plenty of other creepy and crawly flora and fauna. One common joke is that, if you can't see to the bottom of any body of water, it's safe to assume alligators call it home.
My comment was a joke about...like I said, that's better left for other threads. It's not just a political comment...that's just the best place for that kind of comment.

"Everything in Australia is trying to kill you" is a well known trope. It's not saying other places aren't dangerous...it's just making light of how crazy dangerous and weird the flora/fauna in Australia is.

Vindicated30.6

My comment was a joke about...like I said, that's better left for other threads. It's not just a political comment...that's just the best place for that kind of comment.
I get that.

On an unrelated topic, I still hope on a regular basis for a port/remake of Colosseum and XD Gale of Darkness. My thought process is that, in this console generation, we saw the return of Snap, Mystery Dungeon, and remakes of both Kanto and Sinnoh. I know a lot of the conversation is "which is next, Johto or Unova?" Given that several Gamecube era games have been brought forward to the Switch, like Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime, and the upcoming Baten Kaitos, the GC Pokemon games are definitely a reasonable option. The question is, would Game Freak still use Genius Sonority, considering that they're still operating, or would they go with another developer like they did with BDSP? I looked Genius Sonority up and their last game was the Pokemon Cafe Mix. I know it has its following, even if it's not everyone's cup of tea. (Pun fully intended.) If it's just a bare bones port, which I would actually be okay with, Aspyr has had quite a bit of success porting the classic Star Wars titles, and might be a good candidate.

BCVM22

My question to the people who still pine for a Colosseum/XD remake remains thus: what would a modern playable version of those games bring that you can't already find, and find better, in the modern core titles? If the answer is "well, Orre is really unique!" that's fine, but that's kind of thin as reasons go. It just seems like once you get past whatever attachment people have to the setting of those games, you run into a wall of redundancy (at best) compared to what you can find in fully-integrated fashion in Generations VIII or IX.

Vindicated30.6

My question to the people who still pine for a Colosseum/XD remake remains thus: what would a modern playable version of those games bring that you can't already find, and find better, in the modern core titles? If the answer is "well, Orre is really unique!" that's fine, but that's kind of thin as reasons go. It just seems like once you get past whatever attachment people have to the setting of those games, you run into a wall of redundancy (at best) compared to what you can find in fully-integrated fashion in Generations VIII or IX.
Honestly, the entire concept of being able to build your team off of going the Team Rocket route and relieving your opponents of their Pokemon upon their defeat, with the justification that they are the bad guys and your are the hero purifying their Shadow Pokemon. The closest we have to that nowadays is Team Go Rocket in PoGo. No other main series game gives you the option of directly liberating Pokemon from their villainous trainers.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
As someone who has played both versions, Colosseum and XD do offer a unique experience, but as far as the business numbers go, neither of them sold well, and they are relatively faded into obscurity. Plus, I think that the people that made it largely moved on, with James Turner moving into Game Freak, and then founded an indie studio.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Well, there are the fully-realized dungeons. (I would like to have another arid region though.)

As someone who has played both versions, Colosseum and XD do offer a unique experience, but as far as the business numbers go, neither of them sold well, and they are relatively faded into obscurity. Plus, I think that the people that made it largely moved on, with James Turner moving into Game Freak, and then founded an indie studio.
They were actually pretty difficult games compared to the main series. Your average Pokémon player faces enough difficulty with the main series; the Orre games are for advanced players who have already memorized the type chart, understand the secondary effects of attacks and how status moves work, and how they stack together to make something more effective.

I think it says something that the beginning of Pokémon XD tasks you with a Salamence and has you defeat a Metagross rather than those early-game Bug, Normal, and Flying Pokémon.

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
The Amazon could possibly be worse the deeper you go. Scientists down there are still making new plant and animal discoveries in the rainforests and probably only 60% of all plant and animal species living there has been discovered. For all we know, there could be an actual man eating plant that is still out there waiting to be discovered. And when I say man eating plant, I’m not talking about a sentient flycatcher similar to the Audrey II. I’m talking about a pitcher plant even bigger than Victreebel. There are probably even venomous snakes more deadly than a cobra or boomslang as well.

Vindicated30.6

The Amazon could possibly be worse the deeper you go. Scientists down there are still making new plant and animal discoveries in the rainforests and probably only 60% of all plant and animal species living there has been discovered. For all we know, there could be an actual man eating plant that is still out there waiting to be discovered. And when I say man eating plant, I’m not talking about a sentient flycatcher similar to the Audrey II. I’m talking about a pitcher plant even bigger than Victreebel. There are probably even venomous snakes more deadly than a cobra or boomslang as well.
Hey James got nommed on by a Victreebel in the early seasons of the anime all the time and he came out just fine. :D

Pudimon

Certified Pudding Monster
Honestly, no matter where you stand on the theory Skeledirge pretty much buried it. A crocodile doesn't fit any of the remaining animals and the suggestions for how it could still work tend to be stretches at best. At this point if it was something they were doing they're not beholden to it now and trying to keep it alive seems like more work than it's worth.

The Grass and Water theory were always flimsy, especially the latter as Feraligatr as no weapons on it and that was Gen 2.
While I do agree Skeledirge killed the zodiac thing from now on, I don't think there wasn't something going on the background about that, even if you don't count Cyndaquill and Delphox, the others would be too much of a coincidence (my guess is that they started this in gen 4, being infernape, emboar, incineroar and cinderace all fully chosen on purpose to fit the theme)

And then in gen 9 they just went "lol nah" and stopped. I am completely against considering Skeledirge as representing the snake (it'd be cool if he had actually became a snake, tho) but if next gen we get a bull or a horse, BE PREPARED.

About the grass and water ones.... justo no. They were never good enough to be considered.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I still want more Kalos as well. But it's not their turn yet. We can't skip Unova to get to Kalos. Unless they completely break the mold of the remake sequence. I like the speculation that Paldea is neighbors with Kalos, as their inspirations Spain/Portugal and France are IRL.

I honestly feel they should break the mold. Why go in order, especially with Black & White having such a complex story? Let's just skip to Gen 6 and take our time with Gen 5.

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
I honestly feel they should break the mold. Why go in order, especially with Black & White having such a complex story? Let's just skip to Gen 6 and take our time with Gen 5.
I honestly like to just go along with the ride. We can ask for whatever we want but there is no reason for TPC or Game Freak to change directions two years into development of a game. If Unova is next, then that’s awesome. If, for some reason, we go straight to Kalos then awesome. If we get a new adventure via a Legends games, just as awesome. I feel like sometimes we forget to just sit back and enjoy the small things. Which main series Pokémon game is next is not all that important in the grand scheme of things.

Vindicated30.6

I honestly like to just go along with the ride. We can ask for whatever we want but there is no reason for TPC or Game Freak to change directions two years into development of a game. If Unova is next, then that’s awesome. If, for some reason, we go straight to Kalos then awesome. If we get a new adventure via a Legends games, just as awesome. I feel like sometimes we forget to just sit back and enjoy the small things. Which main series Pokémon game is next is not all that important in the grand scheme of things.
THIS. The fact that Pokemon is a 25+ year old franchise with no signs of anything coming to an end (except Ash Ketchum's part of the story) is pretty awesome. Plus the fact that many of us have been along for the ride the entire time and are now introducing our kids to the franchise. My nephew turns 10 next weekend and hooked on collecting the TCG. My brother (his dad) and I remember when Base Set 2 and Jungle were the current sets in Walmart. And for his birthday (because ten is a big birthday) I filled a binder with 1 card of every species from Bulbasaur to Enamorus. Took me over a year to get them and now he will have a (so far) national dex in card form (Until the first S/V set comes out the weekend after his birthday. The timing...)

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master

Nah, I'm still feeling a way about BDSP, which could've been done WAY better. That's what happens when they prioritize fan demand over polishing. I fear they could end up butchering Gen 5's flawless narrative if they do it again.

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
Nah, I'm still feeling a way about BDSP, which could've been done WAY better. That's what happens when they prioritize fan demand over polishing. I fear they could end up butchering Gen 5's flawless narrative if they do it again.
BDSP wasn’t perfect and definitely is deeply flawed. I’ll go on record by saying that the game isn’t bad. But it also isn’t good. Past remakes added things (Sevii Islands, Crystal content and more story, Emerald post game and more in-depth story) while this one was mostly “copy-paste”. However, BDSP was followed up by a much better Sinnoh origin story which should let us know that they are still trying.

I, personally, would like to go back to Johto in some fashion (except a Let’s Go-style game). But, again, as I stated in my previous post that I’m just here for the ride and to just enjoy Pokémon as it is. I’ll be happy to know at the announcement of their next release that the franchise is still moving forward and that’s enough for me.

Copley Hill Gym

I personally think the remakes are not long for this world. Will they actually do Unova? Possibly, it may be the last of the remakes. In the last three gens (Alola, Galar, Hisui, Paldea), we have seen many of the Unova and Kalos Pokemon brought back in many ways.

In the main series games, we have had significantly larger Pokedexes than we had in the first three gens, and it’s been something of a “greatest hits” set of choices of older Pokemon reappearing in these new locations.

That’s the direction I think we are going in. Eventually we might not get remakes but we will get wider and bigger worlds with many, many species included.

Paldea feels quite big. Breath of the World‘s Hyrule map is about three times larger. We’ve had hints towards an Australia themed game in future. Going proper, full on HUGE map is in our future for the main series games, and with it we are likely to get a Pokédex of well over half the existing Pokemon (600 or more).

So the reasons for remakes gradually fade away. Bigger main games that are more ambitious in size and scope will provide ample opportunity to catch all of those older Pokemon.

There is one interesting thing though. So far, Paldea has absolutely bucked the trend on reintroducing older legendary Pokemon. Sw/Sh did this, as did US/UM and S/M, and ORAS, but in Sw/Sh‘s case they were part of a DLC. So Paldea may yet give us opportunities to get the older legendary Pokemon again.

Mythical Pokemon are the preserve of events, cross game unlockables or Pokemon Go now, it seems.

I think the constant clamour for a return to Kalos probably doesn’t recognise that no new series of games in the Pokemon series is going to undermine its own new development. It was of no surprise to me that the DLC wasn’t Kalos themed. It was never going to be. Paldea is the main event, same as Galar was for Sw/Sh.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Remakes will at least go up to Gen 7 because porting the DS and 3DS games to newer systems is currently unfeasible due to those games heavily relying on the two screen nature of the DS line of systems and the Switch only has one screen. Plus it's a quick and easy way to appeal to nostalgia and would allow newer players the opportunity to experience the original games (or something close to them) without having to fork over hundreds of dollars on places like eBay for older systems and games.

Vindicated30.6

Mythical Pokemon are the preserve of events, cross game unlockables or Pokemon Go now, it seems.
Or an endgame surprise like Deoxys in ORAS or Keldeo in the Crown Tundra. I would love to see another surprise of that nature. Maybe Genesect in the futuristic SV DLC?

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I wonder if people who say remakes exist mainly to catch older Pokémon remember that the main reason ORAS was created was the fan demand/expectations.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I wonder if people who say remakes exist mainly to catch older Pokémon remember that the main reason ORAS was created was the fan demand/expectations.
And the fact that it had been a while since the GBA was released. As consoles get older and older they will become more expensive on online retailers like eBay. And this also applies to the old games as well. And as for ports, they can really only go up to Gen 3 right now. Gens 4-7 are not feasible to port to the Switch because of the DS's unique dual screen nature. So, I don't think that NSO will ever add a DS/3DS catalog. I'm only expecting one more system for the Switch to add to the NSO before the Switch's support ends, that being the GameCube.

Status
Not open for further replies.