• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Run, Kiawe! Surpass Yourself!! (1050)

DatsRight

Doesn't excuse the fact he trespassed on private property and forgot about the customs around Ruins

Well Hapu's response to all of Ash's slights is physical violence, so I think they're kind of even in terms of abrasiveness.

Ash is pretty much a hedonist at this point in time, used to travelling wherever he wants. He's not directly rude or selfish outright, but he's just not the most thoughtful around sacred or sensitive elements and it keeps biting him in the ass (eg. the deities, the Z Crystals, Lillie's phobia), it's a flaw you kind of expect from him, especially after Kalos where pretty much everyone worshipped HIM.

I can't be the only one who was hearted to see Ash and the other Pokemon putting their trust in Kiawe to come back in time, or be sacrificed (even if they weren't going to really be sacrificed).

I guess then that they weedled a little test of character out of Ash, even if Kiawe was 'the chosen one' for a change in this instance.

Specifically the old man tried to convince Ash that Kiawe had abandoned them, he did not buy it. Ash may not be the most tactful this series but he is still loyal.

Last edited:

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
And some of you got on me about saying it was Ash's decision to battle and not Kiawe's. :p

I enjoyed the episode but the plot was so simple. Like the premise was interesting but there wasn't much of a conflict at all. Outside of that, I really liked this episode, especially learning about Kiawe's past and his past memories with his grandfather. I chuckled a bit when I saw him beat from all the running around and training he went through in the after credits scene.

Evanibble

I was not expecting much from this episode, other than some basic Kiawe development.

But I actually enjoyed it. Like Sophocles, Kiawe doesn't get too many focus episodes (I could be wrong, though), and usually they center around his Pokemon more than him. But this one actually focused primarily on the trainer himself, and overcoming his own fears, which he hasn't really done throughout the series thus far. Kiawe really grew as a character, and I appreciated that.

The Z-crystal was also definitely unexpected, and I figured they would premiere that move with Kahili, but I am personally fine with Kiawe having it. He's a battler primarily, so he should probably have more than one Z-crystal (Lana has a second one, too, but it's still justified even though she isn't a battler). Also, I know he didn't technically catch Charizard, but does this imply that he's going to start battling with it more often? If he participates in the league, then he's already got his third.

DatsRight

Also, I know he didn't technically catch Charizard, but does this imply that he's going to start battling with it more often? If he participates in the league, then he's already got his third.

He uses it in a training spar with Ash in Meltan's capture episode so I'm assuming yes. I'm fine with this, though I hope they give Charizard more of a personality now it counts as part of his main team. We've seen it appear more in the interaction scenes with the other Pokemon but it's still largely lacking a character.

And some of you got on me about saying it was Ash's decision to battle and not Kiawe's. :p

I enjoyed the episode but the plot was so simple. Like the premise was interesting but there wasn't much of a conflict at all. Outside of that, I really liked this episode, especially learning about Kiawe's past and his past memories with his grandfather. I chuckled a bit when I saw him beat from all the running around and training he went through in the after credits scene.

I do admit I would have liked a bit more setup concerning Charizard, like maybe an earlier scene showing Kiawe explaining why he doesn't battle with it or uneasy making it fly too much due to its age. Something to set up it demonstrating its potential to Kiawe as one of his battlers during the Tapu trial. It still sort of works in there, since Kiawe's recurring weakness is that he isn't used to expanding out of his element, but it would have been better to actually develop Charizard a bit to make us really want it on his team.

We probably could have ditched some of the radish sub plot with Mallow and Hapu to fit this in, it didn't really have much entertainment value.

Last edited:

Evanibble

He uses it in a training spar with Ash in Meltan's capture episode so I'm assuming yes. I'm fine with this, though I hope they give Charizard more of a personality now it counts as part of his main team. We've seen it appear more in the interaction scenes with the other Pokemon but it's still largely lacking a character.

I do admit I would have liked a bit more setup concerning Charizard, like maybe an earlier scene showing Kiawe explaining why he doesn't battle with it or uneasy making it fly too much due to its age. Something to set up it demonstrating its potential to Kiawe as one of his battlers during the Tapu trial. It still sort of works in there, since Kiawe's recurring weakness is that he isn't used to expanding out of his element, but it would have been better to actually develop Charizard a bit to make us really want it on his team.

Haven't seen the Meltan episode yet, actually.

Setup would've been nice for Charizard, and we could still get some sort of focus episode for it later down the line (in the, what, 25 episodes left? Possibly). Even if we don't, Charizard still stands as a significant part of his character in this series since, like you said, it helped him expand out of his element in a way that neither Turtonator or Marowak have done thus far.

Personally I think they should've introduced Charizard more as a main character earlier, since they had showcased the hell out of "ride Pokemon," but what they're doing now is still perfectly okay.

Leonhart

Imagineer
This episode made me realize just how few battles Kaki's Lizardon had been a part of in SM, so I was glad that we got to see it showcase some more of its moves here, as well as seeing him use Supersonic Skystrike for the first time. I liked the fact that Kaki was given a Flyinium Z by Kapu-Rehire, although I wonder why the writers didn't just wait until Kahili showed up to have her do that, instead.

Vipsoccermaster

Great episode for Kiawe. It's great to see Charizard go through intense training and action to test his own limits set by Tapu Fini, that Kiawe had to go through. Great to see Kiawe and Charizzard perform Supersonic Skystrike for the first time. Surprising it was used here instead of Kahili later on.

As for Sophocles, Lillie, and Mallow, good to see them spend time with Hapu, and inviting her for Mallow's recipes.

As for Lana, wow. She's great, doing lots of training with her new Brionne and Sandy to get them up to speed and get ready for anything. But Lana shouldn't push herself too hard.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Did not expect Tapu Lele to appear in this arc! Makes sense for a Kiawe episode though

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
It felt like Kiawe couldnt handle an episode on its own

This episode pacing was awful. I would have cut Hapu and the other scenes all together for more Kaiwe moments or more moments from the battle between Tapu Lele and Charizard.

It's time to really talk about this episode. I think this episode really having a pacing problems. I think the whole Mallow doing her thing could have been done in it own episode insead of important episode like this. I rather them cutting that part off to make the episode feel more well balance.

The Mallow part of this episode was necessary since it was showing mallow's completing her research project

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
My first thought is that this whole ordeal seems like a lot of work just to get Aerial ace. Although it was kind of nice to have some backstory to go with the training. By the end once Charizard got a new Z move then the challenge starts to make more sense for me. I was surprised that the old man disappeared, I figured he was some hermit or shrine keeper.

Run, Heroes Run is a great pun of Run, Forrest, Run. Great reference