• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Run, Kiawe! Surpass Yourself!! (1050)

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
It was a solid episode. Dunno why people can't just enjoy that. Kiawe got some good development and a new Z-Crystal, his Charizard has proven itself still capable of battling despite its age, we got good battles for Kiawe vs Ash and Kiawe vs Tapu Lele, we got some set up for next week's episode, and Mallow and Lana also got a little bit of development.

It looks like people don't know what they want sometimes. "We never see Lana or Mallow do anything for their goals". They show them advancing and working towards those goals here. "It took away from the episode." While I guess they could throw Mallow a bit more hardships in her goal, her goal isn't really that much pokémon-related and there's only so much you can do with a restaurant goal that stays entertaining and also understandable to a wide audience. We've already had a contest, we've already had conflicts in the family, we've already had missing ingredients. I don't mind them keeping Mallow around as a supporting character to facilitate storytelling and get things going, she's great at that. Here in Poni she's facilitating Hapu growing closer to the main cast after her less than friendly start with Ash. And I'd rather have them do this than try to force more restaurant things in there that would get forced or stale quickly if overdone.

This Poni arc is turning out to be really solid so far. Everybody's getting things out of it. Ash not yet but he will once he gets his Grand Trial obviously. Sophocles and Lana got evolutions, Lana also got a Z-crystal, Kiawe got a Z-crystal, Mallow got new recipes. Lillie hasn't gotten anything concrete yet but she met with Gladion and I'm fairly sure that things with her dad are still coming up. They're setting up a lot of things to pay off later, there's a nice flow in these episodes.

That and something might happen next week to make Mallow stand out more. What makes her family drama... click together. It doesn't change much of what I think about her, but it would give her that boost in similar ways why I like Lana these days!

xEryChan

Demon Child
This episode was alright, it definitely did catch my attention. Kiawe got a lot of screentime and I really appreciated that. Not to mention, I loved how even after Ash got released, he didn’t go anywhere and stayed there till Kiawe came back for him and the Pokemon. I did not expect that Charizard knew Aerial Ace but it was nice to know that it did Of course it was a trial set up by Tapu Fini for Kiawe to give him and he got the Flyinium Z. I also really loved the animation for this episode, Ash and Kiawe’s battle at the Ruins of Hope was nicely animated but, if I’m honest, I didn’t really care for the animation for Supersonic Skystrike. It’s basically a rehashed Aerial Ace with the Z-move attached, which was kind of a let down.

Oh yeah, Mallow got some new dishes for her restaurant by visiting Hapu with Lillie and Sophocles. Lana got some training in but those scenes were not very memorable and kind of did take away from the main plot of the episode, which was Kiawe’s trial.

Overall, good episode. I just felt like it was extremely, tbh. 7.5/10.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
Hey, at least if Marowak learns Aerial Ace as well, he'll be able to use Supersonic Skystrike as well.

DatsRight

It looks like people don't know what they want sometimes. "We never see Lana or Mallow do anything for their goals". They show them advancing and working towards those goals here. "It took away from the episode." While I guess they could throw Mallow a bit more hardships in her goal, her goal isn't really that much pokémon-related and there's only so much you can do with a restaurant goal that stays entertaining and also understandable to a wide audience. We've already had a contest, we've already had conflicts in the family, we've already had missing ingredients. I don't mind them keeping Mallow around as a supporting character to facilitate storytelling and get things going, she's great at that. Here in Poni she's facilitating Hapu growing closer to the main cast after her less than friendly start with Ash. And I'd rather have them do this than try to force more restaurant things in there that would get forced or stale quickly if overdone.

Just as much of it is down to execution, the Poni episodes just show that the girls are vanilla in action compared to the boys, who are funnier, have more foibles, are more fallible to the slapstick and threats (despite ironically being more adapt to them), and just have a more vibrant chemistry together. Even when they try to give them substance here, they fail to input it through an entertaining process or personality. We want the girls to be interesting characters, that's what we want.

They could have had them bumbling around a little with the gardening at least (I'm certain if Ash was there they'd have had him pratfall at least fifty times :p), or getting in a few more personality moments, but they were just doing everything in a very normal and boring way with no real obstacles or amusement added to it (seriously, where's 'try hard' Lillie?). Ash and Kiawe meanwhile managed to make even just reaching the top of the cliff humorous in their own way.

Last edited:

DatsRight

Finally, a Kiawe Episode that doesn't have him flanderized to the Torn World and back

Only took them two years.

Really? I thought it was usually his own episodes that tended to handle him more seriously with just bits of humour.

Actually adding to that, Kiawe's episodes also tend to find the best balance for Ash due to them having a great chemistry. Ash is the perfect mix of badass, virtuous and comical in them, a great supporting character without ever stealing Kiawe's thunder or having to pad his limelight with ten thousand slapstick injuries.

Last edited:

p96822

Evolve me please
It's time to really talk about this episode. I think this episode really having a pacing problems. I think the whole Mallow doing her thing could have been done in it own episode insead of important episode like this. I rather them cutting that part off to make the episode feel more well balance.

As for the Ash and Kaiwe part. I think that there battle should have been a little bit longer or Hapu's Grandfather explaining why wasn't a good idea of battle in the ruins in the first place. I think the trial that they put for Kaiwe felt forced and really not needed. After the ghost of Kaiwe's grandfather appear it felt more like his grandfather made this trial for him then doing something else that wouldn't put his friends and Pokemon in danger. We learn that the grandfather was kind of reckless. Anyway I didn't really like this episode that much so I'll give it a C-. Also this Kaiwe episode felt better then the last year Kaiwe episode of not feeling samey as the Marowak episode

Remix2

Ok sun and moon can you stop shoving characters that don’t anything other then waste screentime and instead focus on the main plot and characters of the episode, it worked very well with ula ula and guzzlord arc.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I think the trial that they put for Kaiwe felt forced and really not needed. After the ghost of Kaiwe's grandfather appear it felt more like his grandfather made this trial for him then doing something else that wouldn't put his friends and Pokemon in danger.
Wasn't the implication that Ash and the pokemon were never really in danger, that the ghost and Tapu Fini just wanted Kiawe to think they were to motivate him?

Afrodisiac

break up w yo gf, im bored
I love Kiawe. Finally a dark skinned king with great personality and decent screentime in an anime.

SM's group should've had only Kiawe and Lana as companions honestly.

playerking

Sick of dealing with idiots.
I can't be the only one who was hearted to see Ash and the other Pokemon putting their trust in Kiawe to come back in time, or be sacrificed (even if they weren't going to really be sacrificed).

Last edited:

KurashiDragon

Well-known Dragonite Enthusiast
I love Kiawe. Finally a dark skinned king with great personality and decent screentime in an anime.

SM's group should've had only Kiawe and Lana as companions honestly.

Does Brock not count?

Anyway, I really liked the double battle between Ash and Kiawe. It was really intense and I felt like it went out of its way to show Kiawe was competent enough to be a rival when up to this point, Kiawe hasn't really been seen as anything more than the X/Y trio. Makes me wonder what they'll do for Hau who hasn't really done anything other than invigorate Rowlet for like one episode.

playerking

After how Ash has been acting lately?

Nah, I was totally down for him being offed, even if temporarily, so Hapu has to become Kahuna to resurrect him and spawn another wave of terrible Ash theories
What do you mean? Plus, he was down for being sacrificed for a friend, based on trust. That's pretty meaningful.

playerking

Doesn't excuse the fact he trespassed on private property and forgot about the customs around Ruins
Well, then that's something else and Kiawe was just as disrespectful, when it came to battling there. What Ash did was rude and bad, but it wasn't THAT bad. He just wasn't thinking and got too excited to look at the field.

Lightning Bolt

No but he could've gotten the ghost Z-crystal or even the dragon Z-crystal.

Why would he get the Flying Z-crystal when Kiawe barely uses Charizard anyway?
Flynium Z is the Crystal that most fits Kiawe if you think about it. Flying seems to be kind of a "second type" for Kiawe. He uses Talonflame in the Battle Tree and he gives you the Ride Charizard in the games. In the anime this role is expanded because he uses Charizard to make deliveries between islands. Ghostium Z doesn't fit him and as long as Dragonium Z fits I think they have other plans for this Crystal.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Wasn't the implication that Ash and the pokemon were never really in danger, that the ghost and Tapu Fini just wanted Kiawe to think they were to motivate him?
from what I've seen from subs, when they were released initially sofu said "you can just leave and we'll take him instead", not that this was just motivation (though it was a trial for kiawe, so it could be a mix of both)