1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Running gags in the anime that went on for far too long

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by CyberCubed, Sep 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Banned

I'll ignore the obvious ones like Brock's flirting or TR's motto, but I'd say some of the others that went on too long:

- James always having a grass pokemon that attacks him. I thought it was kinda cute when Cacnea did it too but by the time Carnivine arrived I was done with it.

- Jigglypuff was heavily overused in the early seasons, to the point where it appeared almost every 2-3 episodes until Johto started.

- Sukizo's "Remarkable" during the Pokemon Contests.

- Pikachu getting sick when it stores up too much electricity, they seriously repeated this in like 5 different episodes, even with Pachirisu.

2. AgentPierce

AgentPierce Mad science FTW!

Nearly everything Team Rocket did in AG and DP. Special mention has to go to Meowth's "Boss Fantasies". It was funny at first, then annoying, and finally just creepy.

3. LizardonX

LizardonX Banned

Draco meteor

You're such a kid!

It's evaluation time!

Ash getting knocked over by a hyperactive rival.

Misty's mallet

4. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Banned

Admittedly I was disappointed that James trademark rose disappeared as the anime progressed. I think we still see it in maybe a few AG or DP episodes, but it was nowhere as common as back in Kanto.

5. AgentPierce

AgentPierce Mad science FTW!

First off, those have only been going on for about two years now, hardly too long compared to others.

And secondly, don't you mean "It's TASTING Time!", Cilan's phrase? Evaluation Time is Burgundy's pharse, I think, and she doesn't appear often enough for the gag to be that tired.

6. Bulba the Great!

Bulba the Great! We Do Not Sow

A character getting his name mispronounced every time he's mentioned. Botch was pushing it already by late Johto, and then there was Professor Samba and now there's Stephan. It's only funny MAYBE twice an episode. Some of those Don tournaments...yeesh.

7. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Banned

Another thing I disliked, but I am sure it was a product of 4kids, is the, "pet names" the main characters called each other.

Ash calling Misty, "Mist," calling Brock, "Brocko," and one episode Misty calls Tracey by, "Trace."

Seriously, it felt like something out of some 10 year olds fanfiction where Ash and Misty would declare their love for one another. Yeesh.

8. Pokemaniac24

Pokemaniac24 Banned

Agreed completely.

9. AceDetective

AceDetective Banned

It wouldn't be to bad if they didn't shove it down our throats. The Draco network gag made me laugh first time but they overdid it way to much. More recently during the first Club Battle the whole thing with Bianca and Zoura they shoved to much of it into those eps. Running Gags are fine as long as there spaced out more

10. Bisharp

Bisharp Well-Known Member

Banned/Un-aired episodes. The worst running gag of them all.

11. Dragalge

Dragalge This is more than 20 characters long

I thought they were annoying too, but I guess some were a bit creepy as well lol

12. cg19293

cg19293 Well-Known Member

The Meowth Boss fantasies, Iris' "what a kid" remark. Episodes involving Ash losing his badges,

13. Blazicken

Blazicken Sex on fire

- TR in general with ALL their running gags
    - Misty pulling brock's ear (unlike croagunk's poison-jab it wasn't funny)
    - piplup alltogether

14. PokeRhymeBeat

PokeRhymeBeat Well-Known Member

Well they are 10..... honeslty no gag ever got to me

15. Lucario Fan

Lucario Fan Well-Known Member

All of them except Draco Meteor hitting Piplup and Croagunk poison jabbing Brock.

16. matt0044

matt0044 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I like Brick Jokes (where a past joke is used like it comes back to bite a character in the butt) rather than running ones

17. KingMinun

KingMinun Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!

Brock's love gag got annoying in Johto, and throughout AG, but I didn't mind it too much in DP, it did get annoying, but I liked the odd occasion when it went into really good anime drawing details to freshen it up, and Croagunk stabbing Brock, sometimes in funny places on the body freshened it up a bit.
    Team Rocket Blasting off, the names getting pronounced wrong, okay when it started with Butch it was a little funny, but then Prof. Namba and Stephen its not funny at all its annoying. And Iris' "such a kid" really irritates me and I don't find it funny in the slightest.

18. JennaJayfeather

JennaJayfeather jflkdjkfgjafgaf

I loved the Draco Meteor one. X3

The name gag gets annoying, but it gets funny when people get it right. Though, I liked Stephan better with the accent remark, because now it's just like Botch. :/ I also don't think they should have gave that to Dr. Namba. Like really? It's like they do it on purpose. -.-

James and Carnivine...it was kid of funny at times. But Cacnea was the cutest.

Lol no one thinks of Iris's "mendosukai" just her kid phrase. XD

19. iraqmaster

iraqmaster Well-Known Member

1. Ash Destroying a girl's bike at the start of every sage ( Orange islands/Johto was a nice break)

20. LizardonX

LizardonX Banned

only misty actually cared about it.

to the point where ash truly thought she only traveled with him for the one million pokedollars it takes to buy a new one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.