• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Running gags in the anime that went on for far too long

Status
Not open for further replies.

vespiqueen

If you're speaking of pokemon goodbyes in the movies everyone does. Ash and Dawn burst out crying in Movie 10 when Darkrai disappears during the climax.

Where did you even get that from?
I haven't said anything about Pokemon goodbyes, nor did I say the other characters didn't cry. I'm saying that May cried a lot during her time in the series, more than any of the other characters.

vespiqueen

Is the video still on YouTube?

Just checked youtube, and no. I'm not surprised though, it probably went against copyright laws and it came out so long ago, I think around the beginning of DP.

It seemed like a popular video, does anyone else remember it?

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I don't engage in the "fandom" side of Pokemon AMV's, fanart or fanfiction....I just stay on the forums.

Sometimes I take a peek but I'm quickly turned off by all the 12 year old girls arguing over which Pokemon girl was the best and which one sucked. So sad that the younger fanbase is still fighting over the main girls. How do you deal with it?

vespiqueen

I don't engage in the "fandom" side of Pokemon AMV's, fanart or fanfiction....I just stay on the forums.

Sometimes I take a peek but I'm quickly turned off by all the 12 year old girls arguing over which Pokemon girl was the best and which one sucked. So sad that the younger fanbase is still fighting over the main girls. How do you deal with it?

I'm not in the fandom side either..I was watching random clips of Pokemon that day and I saw it on the side with a lot of views. I try to occasionally post in shipping discussions but I never can keep up. I don't fight over which main girl is the best either, because I like all of them

----

And to stay on topic, I forgot to mention how much Piplup annoyed me. It always got too much attention and that voice was just...:/

RVD_fan

Team Rocket suffered the most from the voice actor change, while eventually I warmed up to everyone else, Eric Stuart's portrayal of James really carried the humor.

I thought Dawn's whole Dee Dee thing was kind of stupid, like really? That's the name that got to you?

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Team Rocket suffered the most from the voice actor change, while eventually I warmed up to everyone else, Eric Stuart's portrayal of James really carried the humor.

I thought Dawn's whole Dee Dee thing was kind of stupid, like really? That's the name that got to you?

In Japanese it was Pikari.

LizardonX

Banned

That event was horrifically traumatic to her. Imagine what if Misty was covered under a pile of caterpies or something and instead of helping her sisters just laughed and teased her with a silly nickname? caterpies are pretty much completely nonlethal but it still would be traumatic.

Rovian

Kodoku no Koori
1. Any Character's signature phrase, especially irrelevant ones. par example: "Spotlight" (I know, they're going into a spotlight, but it was just so awkward sounding)...

Dawn saying "spotlight" was like a special thing she said to get a certain pokemon ready. It is similar to when Ash used "_____, I choose you" (ie. "Bulbasaur, I choose you"). Misty at one time use to say "Misty calls _____" and Brock had "_____, go".

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Oh how I miss "Misty calls".

I don't even remember Misty saying that outside very early Kanto. I am pretty sure she didn't say that after late Kanto or beyond.

Same thing with Misty's mallet. People act like Misty was always hitting people over the head with mallets? WTF? This happened maybe a grand total of 3-4 times in very early Kanto and never happened again for the rest of her run.

I don't even remember Misty saying that outside very early Kanto. I am pretty sure she didn't say that after late Kanto or beyond.

Same thing with Misty's mallet. People act like Misty was always hitting people over the head with mallets? WTF? This happened maybe a grand total of 3-4 times in very early Kanto and never happened again for the rest of her run.

She didn't say it much. And I agree with you on the mallet, it didn't happen that much, it only happened early in Kanto, and then it was never seen again.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
She didn't say it much. And I agree with you on the mallet, it didn't happen that much, it only happened early in Kanto, and then it was never seen again.

If you recall Jessie had a paper fan she used to whack James and Meowth on the head with too...that also disappeared early on.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Other running gags were the Beedrill swarms, the Gyarados attacks, the Ursaring rampaging in forests, all those damn wild Onix that appear every saga, etc.

pokemon fan 132

I don't know where to began, but this three deserved my attention.

-Definitely Meowth boss fantasies. It was cute and funny in start when it was fresh and new, but that concept imo got overused by mid Hoenn to the point of ad nauseum. Not top mention they eventually became unoriginal with writers clearly starting to run out of good ideas.

-TR blasting offs. That's one of main reasons i appreciated change in BW becoming more competent using jet packs and other means to escape. Ad most of time it was same old repetitive scenery. TR steals pokemon, food or something else. They send out pokemon which quickly get destroyed by Ash and co with Pikachu in 90 %of cases finishing them of with thunder blasting away. Running gags can be funny and appreciated when there exists gaps between them having occasional use, but there is thing called being excessive.

-Brock pulled by ear almost every time he flirted around girls. In Johto it was new, it was fresh and in some instances Misty done it in very unique and subtle way being amusing to watch not staying always on typical gag too. But when Max took that role getting idea from Misty(what an irony), my God it was downright terrible. It wasn't funny, it was just downright annoying.
Thankfully writers scrapped this idea altogether in Sinnoh, with Croagunk developing completely new approach in controlling Brock out bursts of hormons when meeting girls. Which was sometimes downright amazing.

May cried what...maybe 3 times? All the other characters cried just as much.

Eh she is right, May cried little more than other girls.

Sad thing is even teens and adults argue over this.

Well according to bullbapedia in Japanese version she often said "go my steady"when throwing pokeball.

You would be surprised how many people i met who thought Misty still used mallet in OI and Johto. I can't honestly remember she used it in any of this episodes(if im mistaken correct me). She at most used backpack swinging with it sometimes or wooden stick to chase away bugs, and i remember she as host for Weekly Pokemon Broadcasting station(i believe it was for chronicles) used water blaster against Brock but that's about it.

Mallets both Misty and Jessies pretty much left screen by end of Kanto.

fubufubu

not a GAG per se but......serious team rocket.......here we have the main villains of the series who have essentially been downgraded to recurring minor characters until recently.......seriously.....IT'S OLD! also "you're such a kid!" it was funny the first time.....but now she's just being a you-know-what about it.........

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
One of the main reasons DP was so long, was because of TR's gag of must catch Pikachu! They fail, next catch Pikachu again even though we just failed at it.
Any bull**** Brock pulled with his obsession for girls.
I actually thought the Draco Meteor gag was pretty funny.
Meowth's fantasizes, cool at the start, as we got to late Johto, early Hoenn. -__-
Everytime James would catch a grass type they would somehow attack him. Whether it's gradutude or hatred.

I can't think of anything else that hasn't been mentioned by everyone else.

AgentPierce

Mad science FTW!
Another one: Dawn getting webbed up by an Ariados. Seriously, do the animators have a fetish for this?

Team Rocket has been around too long.

Well, it's lucky that they're leaving in two weeks, isn't it? XD

That event was horrifically traumatic to her.

You're KIDDING, right? It just messed up her hair, like it always gets messed up, and made it sparkle. Dawn wasn't even "traumatized" after it happened; just a little dazed. She even held Plusle and Minun and sat back in class like normal. It was only when her classmates started to laugh at her hair and call her Diamond Dandruff, making her cry, that she suddenly decided that it was a trauma that justified a phobia of Plusle and Minun. Oh, give me a freaking break......Like I said before, that entire "DeeDee" plotline was stupid as hell.

not a GAG per se but......serious team rocket.......here we have the main villains of the series who have essentially been downgraded to recurring minor characters until recently.......seriously.....IT'S OLD!

OK, now YOU definately must be kidding.

You're saying serious TR, which has been around for just two years and isn't a gag, is "old", yet goofy, incompetant TR which has lasted for about a decade and actually DOES qualify as a running gag is not? And downgraded from "main villains"? PAHAHAHAHA, no. Team Rocket were NOT real villains, let alone main ones, until this "downgrade". They were gag characters claiming to be villains, who never posed any serious threat, who were shoehorned in to every episode for the sake of it, not because it affected the plot in any way. That's the benefit of them appearing alot less in BW; not only does it let episodes go uninterrupted by their shtick, but it also means the appearances they DO make are actually important.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.