• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Running gags in the anime that went on for far too long

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreatGonzales

The Master
Yeah, the 'pronouncing Stephan's name wrong' thing is extremely annoying.

James's Pokemon attacking him.

I actually like evaluation time, I find it kind of funny.

Brock's flirting wasn't really a gag, but more of just his trademark. It kind of made his character.

LizardonX

Banned

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
Just checked youtube, and no. I'm not surprised though, it probably went against copyright laws and it came out so long ago, I think around the beginning of DP.

It seemed like a popular video, does anyone else remember it?

I do! That was one of my favorited videos. It's just too bad that the video is now gone. I would remake it if I could.

Also, I tend to think that running gags don't always have to be funny. They're just recurring factors that come into play more than once. I think the "gag" of it generally is to use it in funny moments. Not much like the element itself (by element I mean a "spoken line" or action). Catchphrases on the other hand may be tricky to point out. I consider "Spotlight!" as such. Same with "Such A Little Kid" and "It's ____ Time!". I agree that the similar reactions to Cilan's line is a running gag.

Last edited:

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
- Pikachu getting sick when it stores up too much electricity, they seriously repeated this in like 5 different episodes, even with Pachirisu.

I think this one actually makes sense, so I wouldn't say it's a running gag, unless it was played for comedy.

Outside of Meowth's creepy boss fantasies, and possibly Butch's name getting botched (if they had gotten more clever retorts, I don't think it'd be an issue), I can't really think of any. I don't think Jessie has had a lot of rampages over her hair since the Seviper she caught tore her hair out, so I guess that doesn't really count. Again, this could be because I stopped following the show once it switched over to cable, so... *shrugs*

Blessed

Misty pulling Brock's ear, Misty's mallet, Brock falling in love with every pretty girl he sees, Jame's Victreebel attacking him everytime he calls on it, Jessie's Wobbuffet coming out of it's pokeball, Meowth's boss fantasy's. And destroying 3 girls bikes was ridic.

ricedonut

pringle user
AAAHHH IT'S JIGGLYPUFF

Please, don't sing!!!

*jigglypuff competely ignores them and sings its horrible song anyway*

*they fall asleep*

*jigglypuff draws on them*

Hey your face looks funny!

Yours too!

I can see why they got rid of Jigglypuff...

Blazicken

Sex on fire
only gags i never really minded were:
- Brock's love antics -> just seeing croagunk's epic poison-jabs almost made it enjoyable.
- butch's name being miss-pronounced (just to see what name they'd come up with)
- gible's draco meteor (just cause piplup getting nuked made me feel tingly inside)

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I do think the Boss Fantasies were run into the ground long before they stopped doing them, though they were fun to watch, especially the crazier ones. The James grass pokemon gags were kind of run into the ground too, but I mostly feel that because I didn't like Carnivine as much as Victreebel or Cacnea. I would have liked them to continue it with a maractus, but after this season's maractus episode I'm glad they didn't. And I'd wish they'd quit the gag with Ash not being interested in girls yet. Get him a one-episode or ongoing crush already, it's been 14 years since he looked twice at a girl!

All other gags, though, I've loved. :D Wobbuffet's gags, Psyduck's gags, and Brock's gag never got old for me. And I love the ongoing thing with Cilan declaring himself a connoisseur of something new every once in a while, and Iris getting annoyed.

WhyHelloThere

First off, those have only been going on for about two years now, hardly too long compared to others.

And secondly, don't you mean "It's TASTING Time!", Cilan's phrase? Evaluation Time is Burgundy's pharse, I think, and she doesn't appear often enough for the gag to be that tired.

First off, many people find Iris' phrase irritating.

And secondly, Tasting Time is Dent's phrase in the raw, and Evaluation Time is Cilan's phrase in the dub.

Burgundy's phrases are "New Tasting Time" and "Re-Evaluation time".

Yeah, the 'pronouncing Stephan's name wrong' thing is extremely annoying.

Oh god this. Actually, it was annoying with Namba and Butch as well. The only time is was somewhat funny was with Hippopotas.

Maetch

The running gag of seeing Cassidy and Butch getting portrayed as idiots. Ever since the Chronicles series, their formerly-impressive competence as Rockets has drastically plummeted.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
AAAHHH IT'S JIGGLYPUFF

Please, don't sing!!!

*jigglypuff competely ignores them and sings its horrible song anyway*

*they fall asleep*

*jigglypuff draws on them*

Hey your face looks funny!

Yours too!

I can see why they got rid of Jigglypuff...

Now you're making me remember having Jigglypuff around. Poor thing.:(

But all in all flirting gags, rather if it's from people or pokemon is getting real old and needs to stop. Annoying girl puns and Cilan's gag is enough for me. It's unneccessary.

Poor Stephan has it worse.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
TR blasting off, thank go the writers finally came to their senses -_-.

Pierce571

Both draco meteor and James getting attacked by his own Pokemon annoyed me. I am glad they stopped both those things.

Status
Not open for further replies.