• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Running gags in the anime that went on for far too long

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I am not sure if it counts, but all those scenes with Dawn squatting down, tripping over, with the writers purposely putting one leg in front of her undergarments so you wouldn't see anything.

Seriously, what is the point of that fanservice? Even at Maylene's Gym during the cheerleader scene, she lifts her legs so high to kick that she puts the pom poms quickly in place afterward.

Pokemon is obviously NOT that kind of anime, so I don't understand why the writers tried alluding to it. Its almost as if the writers worked with Dawn's, "magic skirt" as best they could.

*futachimaru*

Music Maker/ Dreamer
mr sukizo's "remarkable" was funny at first, but after the 10th time, it started to get really annoying.
emolgas attitude
BW using the move "attract" way too many times
it would ahve been nice if team rocket didnt blast off in the last DP episode

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
Personally i've only ever got fed up with Wobbuffet's random pop ups and the majority of Piplup's antics.. Other than those, no gags have ever really bothered me that much. I've even grown to be tolerant of Oshawott since his appearances and stupidity died down a little.

I am not sure if it counts, but all those scenes with Dawn squatting down, tripping over, with the writers purposely putting one leg in front of her undergarments so you wouldn't see anything.

Seriously, what is the point of that fanservice? Even at Maylene's Gym during the cheerleader scene, she lifts her legs so high to kick that she puts the pom poms quickly in place afterward.

Pokemon is obviously NOT that kind of anime, so I don't understand why the writers tried alluding to it. Its almost as if the writers worked with Dawn's, "magic skirt" as best they could.

Or possibly, the more perverted fans out there just over-thought things and the reason they kept hiding everything was simply because.. and here's the kicker.. it's a KIDS show.

LizardonX

Banned

Of all the running gags that exist, you zero in on this?

Thriller

Its almost time
Team Rocket were an icon of the anime, and is surely the most remembered part of the show outside of the fanbase, and as funny as they were in Season 1, they quickly started to deteriorate soon after. My problem was that they didn't have enough variety. It was always; TR captures Pikachu/Pokemon of the day, Ash whines about them getting Pikachu, TR sends out Arbok & Weezing, something happens to mess up TR's plan, Pikachu gets free, Ash is happy and acts like Pikachu's life was in extreme danger, Pikachu uses Thunderbolt on TR, TR blasts off with a *ding*.

Unfortunately, the writers chose not to do anything new with the trio. Heck, they even captured Lickitung & Victreebel only halfway through Season 1, yet didn't bother to use them AT ALL until the Orange Islands. Victreebel was lucky to get two quick cameo's during the Indigo Plateu League and Lickitung only was mentioned in dialogue.

By the Saga in Hoenn, they had finally tried new things, but it was too little, too late at that point. I liked that Wobuffet pretty much became an unofficial 4th member of the team (it didn't deserve the abuse it got in Johto!), and releasing Arbok and Weezing was a good idea.

So yeah, TR was a too long running gag that thankfully got a complete rewrite when Unova started. Looking forward to the future!

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Team Rocket's gags were making me sick. I mean all of them. This is why the less they appear the better the show is.

-whenever James yells "EEEEEEEEEEEE"

-whenever Ash and friends say something in unison (It annoys me whenever any show does this, but I know Pokémon does it too)

-the Pokémon League's "ash meets someone, ash becomes friends with said someone, ash and said someone end up being 'randomly' chosen to fight each other, Ash loses to said someone, then said someone loses" pattern. I was SOO glad to see at least a little change in the Sinnoh league (the legendary Pokémon spammer winning the league instead of him losing to someone else, though the rest of the pattern stayed intact in one way or another)

-Ash and friends being surprised that a Nurse Joy or Officer Jenny looks the same as the others

-Ash and friends not recognizing TR, even if the only disguise they are wearing is almost just a "I'm not Team Rocket" sticker.

Team Rocket's old shenanigans. Every darn episode, it really got old to the point I would skip that part. BW is a breath of fresh air.

Pippi

Cool
Agreed, Team Rocket failing so badly with their outlandish plans got old before Johto ended.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8

I honestly never noticed it.

One think that erked me was making TR so weak in battles for all those years.

Nightmareisalive

I agree with what people have said so far with Team Rocket being the biggest running gag gone stale. It got boring pretty quickly all the stuff they did and it's disappointing because they started off as interesting characters. One gag I found really annoying was during kanto johto and they would use giant robots to battle Ash and got beat every time. Honestly if I wanted to see giant robots I would watch power rangers or gundam wing :p

PKMNBeige

Sprite Artist
I haven't looked at every single post, so this may have been said already, but Brock's constant hitting on girls to be stopped by Misty or Croagunk. I loved Brock, he was great, but still...

Maetch

Team Rocket were an icon of the anime, and is surely the most remembered part of the show outside of the fanbase, and as funny as they were in Season 1, they quickly started to deteriorate soon after. My problem was that they didn't have enough variety. It was always; TR captures Pikachu/Pokemon of the day, Ash whines about them getting Pikachu, TR sends out Arbok & Weezing, something happens to mess up TR's plan, Pikachu gets free, Ash is happy and acts like Pikachu's life was in extreme danger, Pikachu uses Thunderbolt on TR, TR blasts off with a *ding*.

Unfortunately, the writers chose not to do anything new with the trio.
Japan apparently loves those kinds of villains: the three-member team (usually led by a woman) of incompetent crooks who can't do anything right yet continue to appear in every episode. Time Bokan started that trend, Yatterman made it popular, and it's worked its way into many Japanese-made shows and video-games ever since.

- Iris calling Ash a kid, that's a big one there
- Brock flirting only to be stopped by Misty/Max/Croagunk.
- Draco Meteor hitting Piplup
- "REMARKABLE!" shut the fuck up dude
- whenever Ash and friends say something in unison
- Cilan flailing around and screaming IT IS EVALUATING TIME

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.