1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Running gags in the anime that went on for far too long

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by CyberCubed, Sep 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

Does it matter? I and some people like them and it's not like they take 5 minutes.

2. LizardonX

LizardonX Banned

Team rocket. good riddance.

3. Danarchy

Danarchy New Member

The latest gags that have really annoyed me were Iris saying "Such a kid" (SHUT UP) and the mispronunciation of Stephan's name. The last one is really bad, I don't think I can re-watch the second tournament arc again due to how overused it was.

4. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

Team Rocket is not gone, and will never go! POKEMON FOR EVER!

5. Dude, TR died the moment they came into Johto.

In fact, Johto's my least favorite region of the anime. Seriously.

6. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

If they died, why are they still on the show? I like all aspects and everything of Pokemon, like a true Pokemon fan.

7. Bluelatios*

Bluelatios* Well-Known Member

The thing about running gags is by their very nature, they're all considered funny to some and overused to others. But consider this; isn't a joke more amusing when accompanied by an illustration? When it comes down to it, gags involving actions in addition to words seem to hold more water. "Team Rocket's blasting off again" wasn't merely a phrase, it was the trio physically flying off in a comical fashion. When Brock went crazy over a girl, the witty and corny dialogue was always followed by physical intervention. Even Butch and Stephan's name joke boils down to Butch blowing a fuse vs Stephan awkwardly complaining. It all comes down to that old saying "actions speak louder than words". It holds true in tv shows just as much in real life.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  8. I remember TPCi reusing those names quite a lot, particularly 'Brocko.' One of the few things I disliked the 4Kids dub for, other than Pokeshipping constantly (although it's more than likely the case anyway). I am not above saying the 4Kids dub definitely had some weak points, but TPCi's are far more widespread and obvious than the ones from 4Kids are/were IMO.

Well said. I couldn't agree more.

I thought TRio was better in Hoenn than Johto (though those were the high points of TRio's comedy fest to me, and I'd love that wacky comedy they had going from middle OS-late AG. The laughs only escalate from Johto, which was also hilarious IMO. Sinnoh was alright, and Unova's made TR victims of a 5 second *cues dramatic music* We're here, and we're gone *ends dramatic music.* Obviously the "badassness" TRio has is now just a ploy to get them off the anime like Brock. Personally, I would love to see TR leave. I can't stand their current dub voices anyway right now (it's glaringly obvious how terrible they are at pulling off serious TRio when watching the BW dub-- especially Mr. Cathcart/Zoppi's Meowth and James-- he was tolerable in BF/DP but now he's atrocious at the roles), so that would be awesome to me if Gen V gives them the boot.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  9. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Banned

Brock's running gags only became bad because he was there for so long. 600 episodes is a lot of time for the same crap.

I also felt Wobbufett was an overused running gag during mid/late Johto, but they toned him down once Hoenn started.

10. I don't know if it's a gag, but whenever the characters agree on something, they say "right". It's always been in the anime and I've always found it annoying.

11. Serperiority

Serperiority Drummer Boy

Pokemon popping out of their poke balls when they aren't wanted! (Psyduck, wobbufet, oshawott) and the "abused fire type starter ash always encounters. Fire type are supposed to be badasses!

12. That's not even a running gag though.

13. Mightyena97

Mightyena97 Hoenn Champion

1. Iris's "You're such a kid!"
    2. Cilan's cooking references and "EVALUATION TIME!"
    3. Georgia the Dragon buster annoys me for no reason, her presence just irritates me!

14. WhyHelloThere

WhyHelloThere Well-Known Member

It irritates me as well, but for multiple different reasons.

15. Caseydia

Caseydia Ace Trainer

Team Rocket's blasting off lost me back in IS, so I'm glad that stopped.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.